/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/i9 - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA/miners buying all RX570s)
>1070 - if on heavy sale-ish
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity/scratch disk/VMs
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board + case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/fQ2MYr
pcpartpicker.com/list/XN9Q2R
youtu.be/iODCtmue1wo
pcpartpicker.com/list/dPwfgL
msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK.html#support_download
youtube.com/watch?v=gHAelSOF6f0
amazon.com/gp/product/B0123ZBPDA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK.html#support-mem-2
youtube.com/watch?v=QJNRtGo5IMc
youtube.com/watch?v=TWFzWRoVNnE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Kike miners ruining 580s

Newfag here, why are they called cryptominers?

How jewish is Newegg when it comes to price matching? I don't want to buy a $40 212 from them just for them to turn around and try to tell me that Amazon's one costs that much with shipping or some bullshit.

They mine cryptocurrency

Don't buy a fucking 212, buy a h7.

pcpartpicker.com/list/fQ2MYr
Is this a good mid range build for 1440p? I mostly play jrpgs and rogue-likes.

>580
Read

anyone know where i can get screws in general for a build?

Are 1060s sold out?

Home depot

pcpartpicker.com/list/XN9Q2R
Alright, I've got my parts all picked out, and I'm ready to sale-hunt.
Is Part Picker good enough to watch for price changes? What are good sites to keep an eye on? Are there any good rebates, coupons or combos out there?

Nope.

Just dumped my piece of shit 980ti, should I buy a 1080ti now or wait for the next gen of cards? When are they coming?

>tfw fell for the SSD meme

wait for VEGA

Wait for Vega or Volta. A 980ti is still good enough for gaming at the moment. What games are you playing that you can't currently max out?

The 980 Ti is good though.

Rate this build please. Total would be about 820€, but I plan to wait a couple months in hopes of a slight decrease when threadrippers come out

Amd ryzen 1600
MSI B350 PC mate mainboard
Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming 8G
be quiet pure power 10 500W CM psu
SanDisk 240gb ssd
Cheapest 8gb of ddr4 ram I could find (2133)
Nanoxia deep silence 3 case

>I'm ready to sale-hunt.
>580
Hey. Whoever does the OP. Please put in a line to tell people to snatch the fuck out of any 580 stock they run across or to drop them from their build due to stock shortage.

Going to have a go at overclocking for the first time. What would you say are the standard benchmarking and monitoring software used? There seems to be a whole slew of them. Two cases even have similar names: HWMonitor, HWiINFO and wPrime, Prime95.

For the actual OC'ing I've downloaded Ryzen Master for CPU & memory, and MSI Afterburner for my GPU. But as I understand it I can do my CPU and memory all from the BIOS, too? I don't know how true this is, but I've read on some sites that they had more luck getting higher speeds for their memory through Ryzen Master than the BIOS itself.

You might want to consider VEGA cards since you plan to wait a couple of months.

>Cheapest 8gb of ddr4 ram I could find (2133)
Ryzen benefits a lot from high frequency RAM. Get 3000mhz minimum.

You need something to benchmark your OC as well or at least test stability. Get Furmark for GPU. Prime is fine for CPU.

The 1080 Ti is a game changer. I've replaced my 980 Tis in SLI with a single 1080 Ti and haven't regretted it. More games benefit from a single stronger card than two weaker ones. The 980 Ti is old news, it probably can't even keep up in a lot of games. Replace that old card, it's worth it.

What's the best motherboard, performance-wise, for an 1800x?

Gigabyte Aorus gaming.

Unless you are gaming in 4k there are no games that hugely benefit from 1080ti over 980ti that is worth the upgrade price. Only do this if you are rich and have money to burn.

False
youtu.be/iODCtmue1wo

I've been living with it crashing like a cunt for the last month and I'm just done with it. It's currently away on an RMA, hopefully they'll accept it, if not I'm just going to eBay it when it gets back.

>vega
>volta
When?

>What games are you playing that you can't currently max out?
None, I'm just a child and my 980ti pissed me off so I need something new.

VEGA is in the new iMac so im expecting it to be released very soon

The K7, I'm assuming?

Also not sure what kind of cooler to get.

Either a Noctua nh-d15 or a 240/280 aio, depending on what your case supports.

What's the best aftermarket RX 580?

Assuming that they'll be available in the future

Either the top xfx or the sapphire nitro +

Sapphire makes the best AMD cards.

Second for sapphire nitro.
Also Gigabyte Aurorus

Thanks fampaitachi

I hope once the Vega comes out miners will flock to that but they probably won't

Depends on Vegas price to compute ratio as well as Eth current bubble.

Yes?
pcpartpicker.com/list/dPwfgL

No

Thanks.

One tend to cool better than the other or are they about the same?

Why, no?

For the same reasons why you want it.

They're about the same but AIOs are louder and will cost anywhere from $30-50 more.

I see. Okay.

how easy is it to damage your components when assembling a PC as a beginner?

Easy if you don't know what to do or where what goes.

It's literally Lego for adults. Unless your retarded, you can do it without breaking anything.

Just watch a few PC building guides before hand, even watch one while your doing it if you need to.

It is easier to injury yourself than the components if you are a beginner. Some of the edges are deceptively sharp like the backplate of mobo.

>buy R5
>buy AM4 mobo
>plug monitor into mobo
>dock stars off review when non-existent integrated graphics doesn't work

why do retards do this

>Founders edition
No.

Not this poster, but I recommend watching a BitWit or Tech Deals full build video.

Same reason people dock stars off of TN panels for not being IPS

Ok but it was only 20 bucks more than the cheapest 1080 ti chipset on the market.

It's also a bigger housefire than the 7700k

maybe this is a dumb question, but a does the case and mobo come with all the screws you need?

Oh. Damn. Roasted. In more than one ways.

So, cheaper 1080 ti? Got it.

Case comes with all the screws need to mount your mobo

Your Case should have mounting holes for the motherboard of your size, and the motherboard should come with the screws.

Corsair H55 or Cooler Master MasterAir Pro 4? Im planning to overclock 1600X to over 3.8GHz. Is it worth it to geth a water cooler

You can do a 1600 at 3.8 with the stock cooler. Is that an option for you or do you really need the lower vcore?

I bought DDR4 ram that is clocked at 3000 mhz but in the bios it says my two sticks are running at 2133. Will it break anyhting if i change it to 3000 in the bios? I have a Ryzen 7 1700 and MSI b350 tomahawk motherboard. Please help, I don''t want to break my pc but i don't want to have wasted money on getting these faster sticks of ram

That's expected, use AXMP instead of setting it yourself but you may have to fiddle with it yourself if AXMP doesn't do the trick.

Also make sure your BIOS is updated.

>Will it break anyhting if i change it to 3000 in the bios?
no. Though the system MAY not boot due to an instability issue. Keep on top of bios updates as they WILL fix this issue.
Little hiccups like this are commonplace with Ryzen, so they're definitely working on it.

It's called flashing your bios right? Thank you user, I'll look up video tutorials of flashing. For now I'll just wait till updates stabilize everything and stick with 2133 in the meantime.

>tfw not some cuck who spends 8 gorillion dollars every couple years on a new PC
I just got a prebuilt Dell with an a sandy bridge i7 and RX 570. Should last me a while, it's sad how you all lack patience. Yes I'm a poorfag.

msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK.html#support_download

MSI is on top of the game when it comes to RAM support. The Tomahawk is a-okay for XMP, just UPDATE.

Which sticks are you using by the way, they are supported by the mobo right?

go onto your motherboard manufacturers website and navigate to toe page specifically for your motherboard.
Click on the support tab and look for the latest bios revision. If it's never than the bios in yourmotherboard, download the update and put it onto a USB flash drive.
Then, restart the computer and go into the bios with the USB drive plugged in.
You should be able to update the BIOS from the flash drive through some option there. Most motherboards also allow you to update directly from the internet through the bios, but it's a LOT safer to do it from a local storage device.
here. He goes through it here.
youtube.com/watch?v=gHAelSOF6f0

Any help anons?

Recently built a PC, including a G1 gaming GTX1070. Attempted to boot GTA 5 and benchmark today, got a quality 23.4 FPS. What the fuck is wrong with my 400 dollar graphics card? Checked the bios, the card settings, have all the new drivers, processor is a core I7 7700K at 4.2 Ghz, and psu is a corsair 650i. Why won't this shit work Bruh

>If it's never
newer.

If I'm gonna exclusively use my pc for gaming and don't have much need for the extra cores of the 1600, is the 7600k a better choice?

amazon.com/gp/product/B0123ZBPDA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
PCpartpicker told me everything was compatible.
Thank you user, but how would I tell if it's newer than my motherboard bios?

Yes, and the AMDrones will try to say that the 1600x will give you better frame times and other retarded shit. Leave now.

Did you plug in the extra power connectors?

>but how would I tell if it's newer than my motherboard bios?
in your bios, it will tell you somewhere which version of the bios it is.

Extra power connectors?
I just plugged it into the PCLe

PCPartPicker is not always right. You should double check with the motherboard website, it will have a list of the manufacturer supported RAM modules.

For the record, your mobo does not have support for that specific module

msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK.html#support-mem-2

CMK8GX4M2B3000C15

Doesn't mean it won't work, just means you might not get the max speeds out of it.

If you haven't updated your BIOS yet, just download the latest one.

no. The I5 does not make sense. a 1600 will make more sense.
That said, if you want a PC strictly for gaming, grab an i7 7700k. Nothing outperforms it in gaming.
>AMDrones
we go where the best performance for the dollar is user. Intel can't do that anymore. They recently shot themselves in the foot with the X299 release.

I would say yes, but where I live it's also twice as expensive so I went with 1600 anyway.

never start your post with "newfag here"
thanks

You've probably

1. Forgot to plug in the 8pin power cable from the PSU to the GPU
2. Forgot to plug your monitor into the GPU in the first place

And I plugged in the 8 pin connector to the psu.

lmoaaa

>I just plugged it into the PCLe
Lmao

How did they? More than likely they will clock higher than AMD's offerings and outperform them. Will they cost more? Yes. Does it matter? No.
>inb4 shill

Did both of those things, just forgot that I did.

>wow it clocks 1% higher, that means its justified to spend $200 more!

lmao

>For the record, your mobo does not have support for that specific module
Looks like I won't be touching anything. I just know what will happen, I will try to increase the ram speed and my pc dies. What's the danger in trying to turn on XAMP for my ram?
Thank you user

>Ryzen benefits a lot from high frequency RAM. Get 3000mhz minimum.
hello
no.
he isn't playing at 720p with a GTX 1080, which is how the benchmarks were done. he won't be GPU limited nor using a 165hz screen. he won't see any difference

Some of us can afford the premium, I appreciate AMD for making my wallet happier. It'll be more than 1%.

Idk senpai did you even bother signing up for the exclusive geforce experience™

What settings are you running GTA on? Is the CPU overclocked, underclocked? Is the GPU under clocked? Is the ram working fine?

It's not just a question of whether the 7600K offers better performance in a particular area (and it's worth noting that in some games, its performance is worse, probably down to the lack of HT). You also have to factor in the Z270 and aftermarket cooler. At that point, the spotty performance benefit can't justify the larger pricetag.

>it clocks slightly higher
>That means it's worth spending twice as much
no.
fuck off Intel shill. If Intel made a performance/cost king, I'd jump on that. But they don't.
And I'm not the only one.
youtube.com/watch?v=QJNRtGo5IMc
youtube.com/watch?v=TWFzWRoVNnE

A quick google of the model number and AXMP brought up an MSI forum post claiming that the Tomahawk, after updates, can get 3200 sometimes, 2933 all the time

Everything is working like it should, my dude. Max settings, but I tried lowering them and it had absolutely no effect on the benchmark. I heard old drivers could fuck up ur framerate, so I uninstalled them and am currently downloading the newest driver. We'll see what happens when I finish installing that. Also heard GeForce experience was not that helpful in these situations. Ur thoughts?

Decent B350 MB: $100
Decent Z270: $100
Decent cooler: $30-40 (applies to the 1600x as well)
Very helpful point, thanks user.

Load up MSI afterburner and monitor stats in game if it still doesn't work. If not time to RMA your card.

But this user said that my mobo doesn't support my specific ram so wouldn't changing the speed of it be bad? I feel like that I should be happy that it's even working but if it's actually safe then i would like to change the speeds to 2933

Oh yeah let me listen to two faggots who have affiliate links in all their videos and would profit from their viewers jumping ship to AMD and would likely receive kickbacks for their shilling.

RMA?