The Cloud Is Finished Guys Who Is Going To Pay For A Virtual Machine When You Can Struggle For Hours To Get Your...

The Cloud Is Finished Guys Who Is Going To Pay For A Virtual Machine When You Can Struggle For Hours To Get Your Rasperry Pi To Work

this is essentially what i've been stressing to my friends, things like Google Home and Alexa are going to continue to be popular because they're fucking convenient at the end of the day. I'm not a "maker", and the Stallman-ite world takeover won't happen just because I use a homebrew IoT platform in my home.

>raspberry pi cluster
>not a cheap proper nas
you have to buy the tf cards, heat sinks and cables for raspberry pi to use it, at the end of the day for the same price you could get a proper nas with sata support which allows you to connect any hdd you want and have surely much more storace space than those tf cards, you can find 500gb hdd for like 30 bucks new.

you do not have to buy heat sinks to use a pi
what cables would you need, they arrrive with cables

they have onboard wireless, bluetooth
what is a tf card sorry

>what is a tf card
pic.

>they arrive with cables
ethernet cables and usb cables are included? hdmi cables? how do you set it up the first time without cables?

>what is a tf card sorry
You lost.

I spent $1 on a base board, $1 on a pack of bamboo sticks and $1 on a bag of rubber bands and my cluster looks better presented than that one.

I'm going to get three more Pis in the future for a second stack. Just finished building my $3 PWM fan for cooling but have to modify the USB hub still to power it.

and you would need a heat sink if you want it to work and not constantly lag behind, look at the reviews and see for yourself how it does without heat sink.

That looks neat af, though I've seen that converter before.. it wasn't cheap to set it up, was it?

Pretty cheap. I had the USB hub bumming around.

The 5V 10A PSU was about $10, I did the soldering work myself to connect it to the USB hub and make the USB power cables.

The Orange Pi PCs were the most expensive parts at $15 a pop.

all I wanted to say is that you don't need heatsinks with the pi unless you clock it. They run fine, even over-loaded without a fan or heatsink

overloaded they wont get over 60deg

had no idea what the term for the little card was .. "tf" .. would call it micro-sd. You buy a pi from the regular supplier you should get ethernet, monitor cable .. you will have usb. you will have the micro usb card. Why the constant denigration of these brilliant devices here. I had 3 .. sold 2. 48 watchers on ebay I had on ebay for 1. got the prices. sold a Pi3 I bought for £50 (package, pihut), for £38. that was without the little card. without the box or plugs etc. These things replace the PC & minimise power. Got 1 only as it handles anything I threw at it. Didn't understand at first.

If you have a nas you don't need a pi

>all I wanted to say is that you don't need heatsinks with the pi
With the Orange Pis yes you do.

What do you run on them

Orange Pis reach 60 pretty easily even with those heatsinks.
The cluster host reaches 63C right now and it's only running three boinc applications, and I have them run at 70% CPU time (so about 3 seconds computing, 1 second rest) so that it doesn't sit on 70+C constantly.

And this is Armbian, so the CPU is at the correct clocks, instead of the overclocks most distros use.

Raspberry Pi is probably another story.

On a side note. If I put the fan I have cobbled together pointing at my Pi cluster on about 30% duty cycle the temps drop by at least 10C.
Heatsinks help a bit but if you add a bit of air flow you get a lot more out of them.

Pls resbond

Right now, in the meantime, they are all running Asteroids@Home.
My desktop takes care of Universe@Home and Einstein@Home.

Pis are for:
Tinkering with software
Tinkering with hardware of all kinds, building your own electronics
Including building clusters for learning and entertainment

Pis are not for:
NAS
Seedbox
Clusters for any "practical" purpose

Simply because they are horrible at it, even for the price

Nice, are you planning to run other things on them?

>NAS
>Seedbox
But i use mine for those things and it works fine, not splendid of course but it does the job.

I don't hoard much anyway though, an usb 1tb hdd is more than enough for me.

>tfw i did actually cancel my vps because some raspberry pi in a corner of my room has can host that decentralized tor chan good enough but much cheaper
for small sized server it absolutely works lel. i find it funny sometimes

that said the i/o speeds are really a bottleneck but not totally unbearable

>tfw i run the following on one SBC: a tor relay, a webserver, a torrent daemon, a sshfs meme file server with a usb-sata connector, a syncthing daemon
>tfw i know it's stupid but like recommend me a cheap small fanless server

Yes, I do plan to run some MPI applications in the future. I have it setup but I haven't prepared anything to work on yet, currently I just use MPI to run boinc across the cluster and such.

You can use Pis for NAS, seedbox and clusters while tinkering with software and hardware. That's part of the charm, GPIO is exposed so when you want to mess around you can without having to do anything to access it and in the meantime it sits around being useful on the network.

Markets Don't Have Segments, Guys.
Ofcourse some shit ass normie will never get a pi. It's not aimed at them in the first place

>typing like that
kill yourself