/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/i9 - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA/miners buying all RX570s)
>1070 - if on heavy sale-ish
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity/scratch disk/VMs
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board + case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.logicalincrements.com/2017/01/building-pc-pentium-g4560/
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/JVtFnn
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/GfPkKZ
cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/Z97.html
au.pcpartpicker.com/b/wTJ8TW
youtube.com/watch?v=D87tO7VUs2I
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Alpha_platform
pcpartpicker.com/list/99yNHN
wooting.nl/
pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/Z4pv7h
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Which ssd should i get? I think the galax one because of the price and that it has 3d nand

gtx 660
i7
8 ram

check if you can find su800

Try a different site. A Kingston UV400 should not be near the same price an an EVO.
Looking at most of these they're overcharging for what should be sub $100 drives.

pretty sure these will never be sub 100, it even says australia in the pic

Literally double the costs of USD. Jesus. That shit should be illegal. There is no excuse for that sort of price gouging in the age of a worldwide internet connected economy.

Pretty bad.

For gaming purposes, are there any same budget graphics cards I can use that replace rx480/570/570? Damn ethereum miners

Ohhh. Then that's about what I payed for mine then.
Pic rel. 2X kingstons UV400's in raid 0.

Ryzen 5 1600 or 1600X?

this will go with GTX 1060 3GB/6GB (need suggestion on which, alternatives are welcome too) since none of RX 470/480/570/580 are in stock and only god know when they will be restocked.
Motherboard will be B350.
Thanks!

Get the 6gb.
The 1060 3gb is not the same thing with just less ram.
1600X if you're not overclocking. 1600 if you're overclocking.
OR
1600X if you want a better chance at overclocking high.

>Ryzen 5 1600 or 1600X?
1600 is the better value as long as your willing to overclock.

1600 is better value period

cheers m8.

One more thing, if you had to choose between
a GTX 1060 6GB
and a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB (from Galax) for half the price of the former.
Which one would you go with?
- no 144Hz gaming, perhaps only 60Hz at max (144Hz monitors are expensive..)
- no VR

1060 all day long

You fool!
Your forgetting the clock difference between the two.

I'm looking for a budget 1080p gaming build, going to be playing lightweight games like WoW and CSGO, I don't mind turning down settings, is this a good build? I read somewhere that it's a bad idea to pair an AMD GPU with a budget CPU, is this true?
blog.logicalincrements.com/2017/01/building-pc-pentium-g4560/

The 1600 comes with a cooler, is also unlocked and is $20 cheaper
Even if the clocks are lower, it's better value in my opinon. You have to shell out $40 more minimum for a 1600x (price difference + cooler)

I'd the 1060. But if I was tight, and wanted a 1440/4k display in like six months and not in a place it's easy to sell second hand cards. I would stomach the 1050 play with settings dropped a bit till then.

The 1600 easily achieves 3.7/3.8 GHz with the included cooler.

>cooler.
Fuck I forgot. That's the one thing fucking that product over.
Everone complained and wanted cheaper CPU's without coolers. But htey went and made a better stock cooler, that doesn't look like shit. And put it on every chip apart for the 1600x.

Meant for

have you tried it at full load for an extended period of time at these clocks?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/JVtFnn
Data hoarding and gaming. the r5 is for passthrough. Maybe would the octa core ryzens be worth it since ill have one vm running

are there any cooler that fit on AM4 without requiring a bracket?
Pic related is an AM3 bracket and if my memory serves me right i am ALMOST sure coolers that goes in there can also go on AM4

I meant for someone not overclocking. The added base and turbo clocks will be beneficial.

I don't think you can get a RX 480 nowadays (for $200 anyway) but I think it's a solid budget build based on your requirement. I keep seeing the G4560 getting recommended.

Depends on what the VM is doing
Or if you see yourself using more of them in future. But I wouldn't a 1500. You're already dropping so much on it. It would feel stupid to have a four core. Also for resale value if you decide to curb your data hording ways and become a monk.

Thanks, I also don't mind dropping down to the 470 if the 480 isn't available.

You can probably mod an AM3 to fit. But there's a reason why AM4 coolers exist.

Gtx1060 6th
Or
Secondhand gtx980 or 989ti

Posting again since thread changed. Maybe will get more interesting answers.

Hey guys, can you help with my budget upgrade? Right now I have very old PC, like 5+ years, since I got it, I only upgraded GPU. PC has old gigabyte motherboard with LGA775 slot and Intel q9550 quad processor, 750W power supply, 6gb DDR2 RAM and GTX 660 GPU with 3gb memory. So I want to buy new motherboard with new cpu and ddr4 ram. My budget is around 400-500 euros, and I want to spend ~250 euros on the CPU. My goal is to use PC for gaming, streaming and creating 3d modeling content. I'm deciding between Intel i5-7600k and Ryzen 5. On the one hand Intel is good and reliable, but on the other, Ryzen looks very promising. And if choosing between Ryzen 1600 and 1600x, I like 1600 more because it comes with a not bad CPU Cooler, since I have very shitty and old cooler which I will have to upgrade too. Which manufacturers are the best at making b350 motherboards and DDR4 RAM, also what frequency RAM I need for Ryzen? Thank you for help.

Ryzen will be better for modeling and unless you're getting the 7700k ryzen will be on par with Intel as well. Either get the 1600 it's basicly the 1600x with a lower clock speed and a cooler. You can over clock it to get to the 1600x speed. I would also try to upgrade your gpu since 660 is heavily outdated. I would wait for rx570 or 580s to get back in stock because they are a good value. As for motherboards Asus and asrock make good boards. I would be careful with msi boards because they are known to have problems. Ddr4 2600 or 3000 will work fine for gaming how many gigs of ram you need is more how you personally take care of your pc such as how offer you restart or how many programs you leave open. If you restart regularly and don't keep more than 2-3 programs open at a time 8 gb will be fine otherwise get 16gb. Team dark ram is generally a good price for 16 gb 3000mhz for a little over 100 dollars.

Anons, I have an old chap with 8320+8gb ram+ 280+1 TB HDD in it, I am planning on building a new pc with 1600x (since I really am not knowledgable in terms of OC and shit).
Can I turn my old pc into a server pc that can host my and my brothers online games such as DayZ, private MMO server etc?
And if I can, can I just use it as it is or should I add SSD, ram etc?

I see, maybe I will buy just 8gb ram and, if needed, buy 8 more later. About GPU, yea its old but this 3gb memory can still kick ass, so im pretty sure for some time Ill be okay with it. My friend got gtx 560 and intel i7-7260 and can stream overwatch easily, so I believe in my old boy.

A reminder that you share a world with these people

Anyone knows if a be Quiet Pure Rock is enough to cool a Ryzen 7 1700 @ ~3.8Ghz?

I know there are people out there that reach this speed with decent temps (~65°C) with the stock cooler at full speed, but maybe someone has some experience with it.

What are the best applications to benchmark and stress test with after a new build is completed?

>four faze board
>RAM in single? phase
>probably an i5
What's worse is that this isn't what done dipshit ordered form a PC builder. But thermaltake display.

3d mark is good if you want to test how well it will run games

this is for games au.pcpartpicker.com/list/GfPkKZ

>Z97 mobo
>i5
pick one

>color coordination done by Stevie wonder
>coolant piping done in the laziest way possible instead of the most appealing
>2 of 4 ram slots used on a Z97 board
>that PSU
all of my why.

I know that Nvidia provides a huge amount of settings to tweak your videocard, what about AMD Radeon?

>pick one
cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/Z97.html

yes

You watch. They did that, not with an i5, but with a Pentium.

Source?

Why are so many of you faggots now suggesting i7's and denouncing the i5, complete opposite of a few years ago.

i7 is overkill for almost everyone posting in this thread asking for help. You're all morons

Found it.
au.pcpartpicker.com/b/wTJ8TW
It's not that bad. Still bad. But not Pentium bad.

there should be a line in the OP about correct motherboard chipset for your cpu. I see shit like z270 + i5 (non-k) or some other such dumbfuckery a lot. Worse is K series chip with a board that can't OC. That shit makes me die a little.

>2 of 4 ram slots used on a Z97 board

What's wrong with this?

No, we suggest ryzen. Apart from a pentium and a i7 7700k.
Pentium is actually good.
the 7700k is purely there to prevent img_XXXX spamming the thread.

Ryzen is aboslute garbage as well and shills need to stop pushing it. And unlocked i5 is 100x better than a ryzen with X amount of cores that normal people will literally never utilize.

Once again. You're all morons

how does not even threadripper beat the 7700k in gaming? even the 1800x is weak as hell compared to it

>And unlocked i5 is 100x better than a ryzen
Mind posting a few benchmarks?

If I wasn't mobile posting I could

(You)

ooh....

>Ryzen is aboslute garbage as well
The Intel shills have arrived.
>and shills need to stop pushing it.
I couldn't give a fuck what brand is what you ignorant twat. My money goes to the best performing product for the money. In the world of sports cars, that would be a buying a Chevrolet Camaro over a BMW M4. In the CPU world, it's buying Ryzen over Intel.
>an i5...
enjoy your stuttering faggot

What is it with Intel shills projecting and calling everyone else shills to draw attention away from their own shilling?

Bad example. I'm Aussie. We worked on the camaro suspension but you dumb fucks still wanted a transverse leaf spring on a IRS.
>M4
Oh. carry on.

you buy a car because you like the way it feels and operates, not just because of speed, or else wede all have rocket cars. YOu buy a cpu because of how it performs, so you get a 7700k. What youre doing is false equivalency

The Camaro is on the Alpha chassis you retard. The Alpha chassis was developed by Cadillac. Holden has nothing to do with the 2016+ Camaro.
And it just so happens the Camaro feels better to drive than the BMW while posting near identical performance numbers. It's an apt comparison.

youtube.com/watch?v=D87tO7VUs2I

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Alpha_platform

there is no way im watching an entire episode of topgear

Is Ryzen going to have something to compete with the new Pentium?

It's not Top Gear Dipshit. It's Motor Trend

The R3 is going to battle the i3. There's been talk of a new Athlon or A-series to fight the Pentiums.

theyre the exact same thing, just cars going fast.

the r3 is going to compete against the pentium and i3 range. Its the only option amd is putting out with a gpu inbuilt, the r5 and r7 lack this feature

>theyre the exact same thing, just cars going fast.
no they aren't. The dynamic is totally different.

>There's been talk of a new Athlon or A-series to fight the Pentiums.
You mean Raven Ridge
There is going to be an A6, A8, A10, and A12 2 and 4 four versions with and without hyperthreading. From what I understand, the A10 is still going be be position against the Core i3 and the A6 is still going to be positioned against the Celeron/Pentium. I believe that the A12 might be priced above the Core i3 into Core i5 territory.

Oh, and there is the Athlon X2 and X4 version, which I assume are going to be positioned against the Celeron and Pentium respectively. I'm not sure if they'll get SMT.

Would a 1700x paired with a 1080 be a bad idea?

pcpartpicker.com/list/99yNHN
For gaming, anything I should change before I start ordering parts?

Wanted a 570/580 but they're not in stock and I'm tired of waiting.

yes, 7700k with literally anything would btfo it. youre gimping yourself with the 1700x

If you consider buying both of them then I would buy a bit cheaper gpu and invest in higher cpu

why atx with one pcie card? that psu is overpriced and powered. drop the hard drive or ssd to get a better gpu too. and buy the one you drop later on

Buy intel PLS. PLSSSSSSS

Ryzen isn't a good gaming CPU, especially with a 1070 or above. Ditch the 1700X and get a 7700K to give that 1080 some breathing room.

What would be a better motherboard to go for?
And I figured I'd go 1060 as the 1070 doesn't have as much value I thought, and with the monitor I'm getting there's no point for a 1070.

not really a component, but i need a new mouse and keyboard.
been on Roccat Kone XTD, pretty good mouse but the software is meh. and currently some buttons have problems and either don't click or double click.
dunno, im looking for something with at least 2 extra buttons, great grip&scroll wheel.
im gaming and using it for design so a huge range of DPI would be a nice bonus, same with LEDs for night use.

i've also been using a 5 euro keyboard, the cheapest one i could find with QWERTY layout (ugh, everyone uses QWERTZ around here).

been thinking of getting:
wooting.nl/

but as it is a kickstarter project im not really sure.

suggestions?

a cheaper matx one imo and get then a smaller case. bazzoka plus if you can get it about $55 i think. your choice with the gpu but its what id do personally, although id get a 580 but i understand theyre scarce in america rn

pcpartpicker.com/list/

Got the PSU and HD and shit, and i was gonna do an RX 570 / 580 but they are out of stock everywhere. Is there anything that's comparable to what i have now for a cheaper price for a GPU?

absolute shit, start again

not a proper link to your build. Use the permalink. Otherwise it takes us to our build

pcpartpicker.com/list/Z4pv7h

Yeah i fucked that up hard.

I went for atx as this is my first build and wanted the extra room to work with.
I don't mind paying a bit more for a better atx board

do you think youll go dual gpu eventually? atx barely ever gets used fully

its alright, standard almost

We're mining ethereum boiz

this has to be bait

>ryzen isn't a good gaming GPU
yes it fucking is, granted it's not the best at it but it doesn't mean it's not good at it you idiot

>do you think youll go dual gpu eventually?
Probably not, rather upgrade my gpu at that point. Does atx offer any cooling benefits?

Do you know when they'll release new radeon drivers?

not really, some past matx chipsets were shit and ran hot but that doesnt apply today, in the same way you can now have a hdd in any orientation.

What's the best OC performance for Ryzen + Mobo + ram currently?

sup senpai, build my rig ~2 weeks ago, runs like a charm.

BUT

sometimes, and that happens like...once, maybe twice in 12 hours or so, there's a crackling sound. Now, it comes from the speakers and one might think "yeah ok, shitty speakers/cable, whatevs"
But when I lean down behind the computer, I can hear that crackling noise right there as well.
I have no idea what it could be - it can't be sparks flying, because a) I doubt that the pc would even work then and b) wouldn't that be a constant issue? I changed the extension thing the pc draws power from, maybe that'll help. Maybe a shitts insulation of one of the PSU cables, interference from that maybe?

its the psu most likely. i had this happen to me. it later made a huge bang and stopped working. replaced it with a better psu and now silence. insulation issues are not going to be the reason.

It's good. Pretty cookie cutter by this point though.

bump

wooting or something like razer blackwidow chroma?

the biggest pain in the ass would be testing for the issue. I could probably still RMA the PSU, but I'd have to know for sure, and I don't have another PSU laying around to test it. I'll keep it in mind for sure