Now that MP3 has been retired by its maintainers, the attention has been moved to AAC...

Now that MP3 has been retired by its maintainers, the attention has been moved to AAC. The last generation was 'MP3 vs Vorbis', this generation is 'AAC vs Opus'.

Who will come out on top this time?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_format)
sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/cabinet
freac.org/index.php/en/developer-blog-mainmenu-9/14-freac/228-freac-development-status-update-102015
sourceforge.net/p/bonkenc/discussion/85470/thread/82b61f56/
sourceforge.net/projects/bonkenc/files/snapshots/20170317/freac-20170317-windows.zip/download
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

MP3, public domain is even more incentive to keep using it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_format)

Opus already beat the pants off AAC

Why was mp3 more widespread than aac in first place?

Because aac is an apple codec and apple is associated with homosexuality.

probably because hardware support for mp3 was implemented earlier and in the time when downloading music was the new thing.

opus has already been con firmed to have superior quality/size ratio than aac, vorbis and mp3.

>apple is associated with homosexuality
I mean, the association isn't without its reasons.

Opus is superior but AAC will be the norm
All articles reporting mp3's dead shilled AAC for some reason and that's why they will win

MP3, especially now that it's free

Is this bait?

AAC has never been interesting, and Vorbis is only better at extremely low bitrates.

normies will use whatever itunes offers by default, those who know anything will keep using mp3 or FLAC.

I think you are confusing it with ALAC.

Vorbis != Opus > AAC > MP3
FLAC is useful only for sound editing.

>Who will come out on top this time?

FLAC.

Probably this, sadly.

It came first. By the time AAC came along "MP3" was already synonymous with "music."

Opus doesn't play well with mkv. I beat my head against the wall for an hour trying to figure out why sub timing was shifting between aegisub and MPC-HC to find out it was the Opus track doing it.

White people need to use condoms

Not at all. The joke used to be that apple was gay. The irony is that it's now literally gay.

AAC is the official successor to MP3. They're both made by the same group.

xHE-AAC (USAC) == opus at bitrates >= 64

Opus easily

MP3

Does anybody know how to play opus with dedicated android audio players? I want to re-encode my library with opus, but there's no support for it besides neutron and aimp. Neutron looks like shit and aimp doesn't have a library, folders are not a valid library

Not in ABX tests. Opus suppresses audible artifacts the most. That's why voice still sounds ok even 16kbps (albeit mono).

I've been using mx player to listen to opus but mostly due to laziness.

Just pirate GMMP.

GoneMAD (what I personally use) has support for it, and so does Poweramp.

Upgrade your android, android version something has native opus decoding.

Android 5+ supports opus, but it expects an .mkv container, which is stupid.
It's better to use a player like GMMP that scans your files and detects your .opus files (which is the correct container) or your .ogg files (if you're one of those people) and plays them, even regardless of your android version.

t. All my music is opus and I'm still on JellyBean.

Why is txt more widespread than Word 2013? Really makes me think.

I'm on android 7.1.2 lineage and the media scanner doesn't find them

The minimum bitrate that is expected of music in 2017 is 26 kbit / s transparent and 1 kbit / s in voice. Otherwise it is not good enough.

AAC is pretty solid and tested to work great for music (around 130kbps it's pretty much transparent). It also decodes much faster.
Opus might be better for very low bitrates, though.

MP3 is not going to die.

Yeah just like JPG and xvid. All u dead cockroaches here to haunt us till the day we die.

>Opus might be better for very low bitrates, though.
Opus begins to introduce noticeable distortion at lower bitrates. HE-AAC is better. I think 64kbps and up is where Opus works best.

mp3

i wonder if tim cook would think my butt is cute

I'm looking for fdkaac.exe. Where can I find it?

So why exactly does the licensing rights having expired mean I should not use the format anymore...? Shouldn't a lot of new, improved mp3 encoders and decoders crop up now that people don't have to pay Fraunhofer for it anymore?

>MP3 has been retired
retire yourself from existence you fucking moron

Winamp

>quality comparison graph
>ends at 128kb/s
Is this a joke?

It shouldn't. As a matter of fact, you should never use lame anymore.

Isn't Apple's QAAC supposed to be the best AAC encoder on the market?

I didn't want nonfree software on my computers when I switched to GNU/Linux so I encoded my CD rips using vorbis anyway. I just don't get how people keep spouting "MP3 is dead" when quite the opposite should be the case now. It's like saying DOOM died when its engine was released.

Lower bitrates: Opus is better hands down, much better sounding than shit HE-AAC.
High bitrates: I can't tell the difference.

It isn't for the same reason txt wav and jpg will never die. Everything in the world can play back mp3.

>Opus is better hands down, much better sounding than shit HE-AAC.
Bullshit. Opus introduces audible distortion at low bitrates.

Why the fuck would plain text ever die?

WAV is actually quite good and very usable for professional audio and video applications. It's still the standard universal audio format used in professional media creation today.

Not the latest 1.2 version. That shit makes me question my sanity. 64 vbr opus sounds like the flac source to me.

That's FhG AAC, not the same.

Probably yes for high bitrates, but I think you need fdk-aac for he-aac (low bitrates).

Anyway, I'm compiling (or whatever) fdkaac right now...
sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/cabinet
(autobuild)

>txt

There is no replacing plain text. That will be here for the entire remainder of human civilization. We will colonize the galaxy and still be using plain text files.

Now try under 64kbps like HE-AAC was designed for.

>48kHz

Doesn't matter much after that. Real fight happens at the low end, sub-32kbps.

>MP3 has been retired by its maintainers
What?
>the attention has been moved to AAC
By who?
Probably still MP3? Consumers don't care about marginal increases in audio compression efficiency. All they care about is support, and MP3 still dominates in that and will continue to do so.

tfw I don't look at pictures long enough to notice any difference until 25k

I did and I could hear artifacts especially in low bass frequencies. Gotta say I was pretty disappointed.

Which is exactly where Opus gets trashed. Nothing against it. It just isn't as good as HE-AAC at this level.

here
I just did a comparison between 32kbs Opus and HE-AAC for some nigger music. AAC is better. Opus fucks up the highs.

Opus. Freedom will prevail!

>but I think you need fdk-aac for he-aac (low bitrates)
nope

ISO is the mp3 maintainers, not franshjdadajd. The ISO specification is frozen, just follow it.

Is there any legal service that distributes Opus yet, streaming or store? The problem is that Opus has no distributor support as far as I have heard.

AAC has Apple Music, Tidal, Bandcamp, etc.

hare
Actually, Winamp and Apple beat it too. Opus fucks up the highs and messes up the stereo image.
I'll try some speech next.

Right, my bad.

Compile it with ffmpeg.

Me again, did some tests with a couple of songs.
At 64k HE-AAC loses more detail on the high-end compared to Opus. However at 32k Opus adds much more distortion and HE-AACv2 sounds better.

Because .txt is a format and Word 2013 is a program.

FAAC will only encode 64kbps+ You'll need FDK AAC at least on Linux.

known

you can use Apple Core AAC (best aac encoder) everywhere. Just download fre:ac and install AppleApplicationSupport.msi (extract from itunes installer)
freac.org/index.php/en/developer-blog-mainmenu-9/14-freac/228-freac-development-status-update-102015

OR he could skip all that hacking and just use Opus included in ffmpeg.

We're talking about sub 64kbps here. Installing fdkaac doesn't require any hacking.

>I'll try some speech next.
So I did and couldn't get any AAC encoder to actually encode under 32k. Except for Nero, but it's bad, worse than Opus.

>Which is exactly where Opus gets trashed. Nothing against it. It just isn't as good as HE-AAC at this level.
Except it doesn't.
It does sound better, plus is way more efficient in practice.

you need to enable HEv2 for that, newfag

Opus will never make it, it sounds like a venerial disease.

This is a reminder that the primary advantage of Opus over other lossy codecs is it reproduces 20 Hz - 20 kHz. It's the removal of high frequencies which causes "warbly, underwater" sounding lossy artifacts, and Opus tends to not suffer from this.

I did select v2 and the low bitrates, but the files end up 32k or higher.
I'm using foobar, btw. Any CLI commands for apple or fdk aac?

Thats wasn't my opinion on the matter. Calm your autism and stop posting obvious shit about modern encoders being way more efficient than old ones.

xvid is literally dead, h.264 made sure of that.

works for me in freac with fdk-aac

Winamp goes down to 12k, but it sounds worse than Opus.

How to get FDK in freac?

on linux - download libfdk-aac.so, rename to fdk-aac.so and place into codecs folder
om windows - place exe file into codecs\cmdline I think, I used it on linux only

VBR only goes down to 32k, CBR down to 8k (on foobar at least)

Best encoding software for OPUS?

Neither the .exe or the .dll work in Windows.
Anyway, I got it working in foobar.

>CBR down to 8k (on foobar at least)
Are you sure it actually encodes to 8k?
Because when I do
-b 8 -p 29 --ignorelength - -o %d
it ends up being 12k.
And it sounds worse than Opus, at 16k too.

just tried windows version everything works with fdk-acc.dll in codecs folder

And storage.

>fdk-acc.dll
Where did you get it?
I only have libfdk-aac-0.dll (renaming it doesn't work).

downloaded from sourceforge.net/p/bonkenc/discussion/85470/thread/82b61f56/

>Android 5+ supports opus, but it expects an .mkv container, which is stupid.
You can rename them to .ogg and it works for some reason.

I used 32bit freac

it still doesn't show up

me too

you are using release, there is no even codecs folder. Use snapshot
sourceforge.net/projects/bonkenc/files/snapshots/20170317/freac-20170317-windows.zip/download

Opus should, AAC will.

MP3 wasn't retired, it was made free to use. Now that you can officially use MP3 without paid licensing, I expect it'll become even more common until a new open source codec beats everything (ala AV1 when it launches)