Daily reminder that Macs:

Daily reminder that Macs:

>have no system-wide package manager
The App Store isn't a package manager, it can't even remove apps installed through it (it can post on facebook though, since that's what macs are good for). Macfags then mention brew and macports like this was somehow an alternative to a proper package manager, yet these things can't install, remove or update system software. For example, try and make brew update the kernel or Aqua. And of course they leave out all the links and conflicts that brew has with XCode.
Meanwhile, Linux can install everything through package managers flawlessly, and you can update every single package with a single command. This is impossible on macOS.

>have little to no customizability
Macfags have a tendency to insult anyone who is able to do any sort of customizing, like changing the DE fonts or window colors, simply because they can't. If they could, it would be a good thing.

>require giving out your personal information, like your home address, to install free software
Even if you want something with no price, you need to fill out your billing information.
On Linux you can install whatever you want without giving out any information.

>require complete clusterfucks to do simple actions
For example, toggling hidden file visibility. On macOS you need to run:
$ defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles true
$ killall Finder
Let that sink in: you need to use the terminal and run 2 commands, one of which is osbcure, the other kills the shell process, just to toggle hidden file visibility. And of course you need to run the same clusterfuck just to toggle it again.
On any Gnome/KDE/Unity distro: open the file explorer, click settings, click Show Hidden Files

>Are unable to disable devices at UEFI level
The mac UEFI has no functionality, unlike every other brand on the planet that lets you do things like adjusting CPU frequency or voltage, disabling devices. Again, macfags pretend like having features is a band thing.

daily reminder than i enjoy using my macbook pro, theyre very nice

thanks

Get rekt macfags!!1

nobody cares about this OP

I can update the OS through the OS and if I want a program I go download it off the appstore or the program's website

if I want to uninstall a program i uninstall it

not fucking hard

Yes congratulations, you can sort of do the same things through a convoluted way. I can also use the terminal in Windows through Powershell or Bash, but I don't pretend like this is just as good.

You know you can just install Linux, right? You don't owe Apple anything.

>have no system-wide package manager
Macports, Fink, Homebrew
>have little to no customizability
You can run any X11 window manager, so you can rice it as much as GNU/Linux
>require giving out your personal information, like your home address, to install free software
You can just skip that.
>require complete clusterfucks to do simple actions
Use a different file manager. You can use Nautilus/Konqueror
>Are unable to disable devices at UEFI level
I'll give you that. Apple fucked up when they left OpenFirmware.

How is it convoluted to go to a manufacturer's website to read about their software to decide if you want it, then download it if you want it?

Most people have like 15 programs installed on their machine that didn't come with it, (not including games)

telling them how they can command prompt download a program if they know its name is not saving anyone any time because most people research the programs they are thinking of using anyway by reading reviews then checking out the website of the company that makes the software anyway

>Macfags then mention brew and macports like this was somehow an alternative to a proper package manager, yet these things can't install, remove or update system software.

The question is why would you want to. I guess it's prettier for you to have a terminal telling you that it's doing the same thing you do when you install updates through the app store. Or you have this psychological issue about something not looking up to date enough. You need higher numbers.

>If they could, it would be a good thing.
Do you actually like desktop threads? Be honest.

>Even if you want something with no price, you need to fill out your billing information.

False. You don't need to use billing information to download free shit from the app store. It isn't even a new thing, I made my account in 2014. You can also install a fuckload of software outside the app store, perhaps most of what you need.

>Let that sink in: you need to use the terminal and run 2 commands, one of which is osbcure, the other kills the shell process, just to toggle hidden file visibility.

False. At best it's an obscure command. Cmd+Shift+.

Macs are for people who value their time. Sorry.

I have a macbook pro 2014 and have never once used the app store

>Macports, Fink, Homebrew
Did you conveniently not read the part about how those are inferior and NOT system-wide?
>You can run any X11 window manager, so you can rice it as much as GNU/Linux
No, you can't. Change the title bar color, go ahead.
>You can just skip that.
Proof?
>Use a different file manager. You can use Nautilus/Konqueror
Can you really use Nautilus?

I think you explained just fine how that's convoluted.
>You need to use the browser to download software
Ew.

Yeah, you don't need a package manager on Mac. Drag'n'Drop is way easier.

>I think you explained just fine how that's convoluted.
>>You need to use the browser to download software
>Ew.

Nigger let's say I want to download something to run a virtual machine. First I have to know what my options are. I have to use a browser to do research.

Not everybody has every program ever made memorized along with all its competitors

>Terminal
Breaking news: package managers have graphical interfaces!
>Do you actually like desktop threads?
I like being able to customize my system, I'm terribly sorry you can't.
>False
Proof? Show me how you can download a free app from the App Store without being logged in to your apple account and having filled out the form.
>False
Proof? That shortcut does not toggle hidden file visibility, it toggles ~/Library. You don't even know macOS.

>I have a macbook pro 2014 and have never once used the app store

This, I don't even think i have the app store installed

>Did you conveniently not read the part about how those are inferior and NOT system-wide?
You can literally change a couple symlinks and change XCode for gcc or clang.
>Change the title bar color, go ahead.
I'm talking about running a completely separate WM here.
>Proof?
There's a button in the installer that lets you skip creating an Apple account. Doesn't get simpler than that.
>Can you really use Nautilus?
Yes.

No it isn't.

Then research it with a browser and then use an objectively superior method to install it.

So you've never installed a security update in 3 years? Good for you user, totally not retarded.

>Proof? Show me how you can download a free app from the App Store without being logged in to your apple account and having filled out the form.
>False. You don't need to use billing information to download free shit from the app store. It isn't even a new thing, I made my account in 2014. You can also install a fuckload of software outside the app store, perhaps most of what you need.

What programs are in the app store and why would I want to use the app store?

I have an apple computer and have used it for years without doing this

>Then research it with a browser and then use an objectively superior method to install it.

That's convoluted, I am already on their website with my browser, I can just click download without opening some other program

This.
I don't even have a icloud account. You aren't forced to create one.

>I like being able to customize my system, I'm terribly sorry you can't.

Why would I even want to customize MacOS? It feels great to use and looks professional...
At least MacOS provides you with the opportunity to feel superior.

>You can literally change a couple symlinks and change XCode for gcc or clang.
And can you update the kernel through it? No? Hmm.
>I'm talking about running a completely separate WM here.
So you need to run a different WM to change simple stuff? Sad.
>There's a button in the installer that lets you skip creating an Apple account. Doesn't get simpler than that.
And if you skip, you can't install stuff from the App Store. I know because I tried that.
>Yes.
Cool, actually. Point made.

Gee Idk, security updates for the OS? Retard.

And that's objectively inferior since you'll need to visit 20 different websites to update 20 different apps while I run a single command.

>Can't do something
>B-but u don't need to
Kek every single time.

>So you've never installed a security update in 3 years? Good for you user, totally not retarded.

I just click the apple logo and click check for updates

>And that's objectively inferior since you'll need to visit 20 different websites to update 20 different apps
No, the programs (not apps) will tell you when a new update is available within the program and you just click update there, no need to go any where or run any command

I don't think I run "apps" on my Macbook Pro

Take a wild guess at what program is being used to handle that update, moron.

>Gee Idk, security updates for the OS? Retard.
I get updates, I just click the apple logo and click check for updates

takes 2 seconds
>I don't even have a icloud account. You aren't forced to create one.
me either, don't even know what i would do with one

>The question is why would you want to.
To update everything at once?

OH NO THE APP STORE

well I never open the app store and use it to download or install programs, if it manages updates it's transparent to me

>Proof? Show me how you can download a free app from the App Store without being logged in to your apple account and having filled out the form.

Lemme do the same thing you do, and only show you proof that you don't need any payment info. You bullshit me, I bullshit you. Deal?

>Proof? That shortcut does not toggle hidden file visibility, it toggles ~/Library. You don't even know macOS.

Nice googling, but it does toggle hidden file visibility. Next time try it out yourself.

>And that's objectively inferior since you'll need to visit 20 different websites to update 20 different apps

what makes you think this?

Hello Mr POOJEET!

50 rupees have been deposited into your account. thank you and come again.

Some do, some don't. And then you have 20 different update mechanisms, instead of a single piece of software doing all of this. And you still can't update everything at once. Why is macOS so complicated?

Then you're using the App Store, moron.

> (You)
>OH NO THE APP STORE
Well you said you didn't use it, and you were wrong.
I'm still waiting on proof you can install ANYTHING on it, including OS updates, without giving out billing info.

Where did I mention payment info? You need to fill out billing info.
>Nice googling, but it does toggle hidden file visibility. Next time try it out yourself.
Proof?

>Why is using visiting 20 websites worse than running a single command
Gee, I really don't know.

>your OS doesn't get security updates because it doesn't have a package manager!

Pffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttt

>I'm still waiting on proof you can install ANYTHING on it, including OS updates, without giving out billing info.

I assure you I have never entered billing info into my computer and it still installs updates

Where did I say that?

Oh you lied on the form then, good job. Then why not just use Linux, if you're going to bypass Apple stuff anyway?

>>Why is using visiting 20 websites worse than running a single command
>Gee, I really don't know.

But user you don't have to visit any websites, for instance if I open virtual box it will say "a new version of virtual box is available, do you want it?" and I just click yes

notice I have not opened by browser or or visited any websites

it is like this will all programs, no visiting websites or inefficiently running commands in terminal needed

>Oh you lied on the form then, good job. Then why not just use Linux, if you're going to bypass Apple stuff anyway?

I didn't lie on shit, what are you even talking about, what form lol

>ITT: A assblasted autist that hates mac because it isnĀ“t muh GANHOO/Cucknux
Come back when your shitty kernel has a proper IPC mechanism.

I don't use the app store and have all the programs I need on my Mac and spend little time if any fucking with it

you are retarded OP

If you can't handle Linux in an appropriate timeframe you have nothing to do in the tech industry, unless you're a some sort of technically illiterate manager.

Come back when your shitty kernel isn't a patchwork of 3 different kernels sticked together with glue. Linux was made from scratch, no BSD code stealing required.

Congratulations, you use a browser to install software, totally not retarded.

Do you have any sort of proof this is possible?

Even if it was like this with all software (it isn't) you still can't update your entire system at once. You have to go app by app, then brew, then macports, then whatever else macfags came up with today to try and reach dnf.

Mac users don't even know what it is.

Don't you get it? Any system without a system-wide package manager is inferior. A package manager keeps track of every single dependency for every single program installed through it. You can script and automate updates. You don't need to check 20+ (or dozens in my case) websites to keep your programs up to date.

It's more secure, more streamlined, and much more efficient. OS X doesn't have a good one.

man you are stupid butthurt

you have spent more time typing in this thread and bitching than I have spent keeping my shit updated all year, and yes my shit is up to date

it takes no time, macs are for people who work and value their time

you must spend a shit load of time fucking with your system in general and just think everyone else does too

cry moar

>You don't need to check 20+ (or dozens in my case) websites to keep your programs up to date.

You don't have to do that on a mac either, you are simply wrong.

I have nothing against Apple, they're merely making money out of lazy and technically illiterate people. But I don't like Applefags.

Daily reminder that

>nobody cares

>Some do, some don't.

Every major program made by a professional company checks itself for updates user

>No counter-points
>No arguments
>"Lol u mad"
Better luck next time!

>you have spent more time typing in this thread and bitching than I have spent keeping my shit updated all year, and yes my shit is up to date
>it takes no time, macs are for people who work and value their time
>you must spend a shit load of time fucking with your system in general and just think everyone else does too

OH GOD THIS

I agree with most of your points but the package manager shit is legit autism. Most Linux users don't even use it since the terminal is more convenient, and who gives a shit about opening another window when you install something.

Even if you use the built-in update mechanism, you still have to go app by app. Keep pretending this is somehow comparable to a proper package manager.

Point is you have so much free time you have spent more time making and typing in this thread than it takes to keep a mac updated for a year

And still has
>sane VT subsystem
>sane IPC
>stable driver API & ABI
>sane graphic stack
Try getting that in your meme kernel.

It's better to type in this thread while a system is updating automatically. May be the people who value their time prefer to do it manually, who knows.

you don't go around your computer program by program updating programs that are not even currently running, you just update it when the program tells you

you keep saying "app" are you talking about phones or something? Do you know what a computer program is?

it literally takes 0 time

...but package managers have CLI interfaces, what are you talking about?

And that's not an argument, you haven't refuted anything I said, you just realized I'm wrong and resorted to name-calling.

You mean the meme kernel used by every single critical system, every single Top 500 supercomputer and the majority of the internet due to its stability?

>you don't go around your computer program by program updating programs that are not even currently running, you just update it when the program tells you
Why should I have to do it like this instead of updating everything in one go?
>it literally takes 0 time
False.

>It's better to type in this thread while a system is updating automatically
Well I use a mac and don't suffer down time for this so I would not know

:^)

Ok, it's all sane, then why Apple had closed Mac OS X Server program. Why does no one use macOS for serious tasks such as heavy computations or in data centers.

>And that's not an argument, you haven't refuted anything I said, you just realized I'm wrong
yes, I did realize you were wrong

If you're going to compare linux vs mac up time, you'll be sore by the end of it.

someone's a little defensive.

>>you don't go around your computer program by program updating programs that are not even currently running, you just update it when the program tells you
>Why should I have to do it like this instead of updating everything in one go?
>>it literally takes 0 time
>False.

nope, I am right

t. been using a mac for years

Haha goddamn typo. Anyway, not an argument, come back when you have something besides insults.

And someone has no counter-points.

>it's good for servers, it must be good for every single user case
I really still don't understand this argument. I don't care if it's good for servers, I don't have a fucking server.
And is like shooting in the feet. You still have issues that are solved in every "inferior" operating system. How the fuck you can be in the Top 500 supercomputers and not write a sane IPC mechanism?

I don't care if you've been using a mac since the Bronze Age, you're wrong. It doesn't take literally 0 time, especially condidering it has to restart the app (Linux doesn't by the way). Either provide proof or shut up.

Wonder why the linux desktop is solely for fanboys who spend all their time configuring their computer if it's so much better than every other OS and requires no time to configure or update?

>I don't care if you've been using a mac since the Bronze Age, you're wrong. It doesn't take literally 0 time, especially condidering it has to restart the app

It takes an unnoticeable amount of time to update the program

does linux only use apps and not programs?

Yes, you don't care because you're not doing critical work. Servers are, that's why kernel quality matters there and that's why I mentioned it. All the machines where stability is relevant use Linux.

>Wonder why the linux desktop is solely for fanboys who spend all their time configuring their computer
But it's not, you don't have to fiddle with anything. This is just some uneducated opinion you read somewhere since you never used it yourself.

Apps, by definition, are programs. Stop hiding behind semantics. You still can't update your entire system in one go, you still have no dependency management, you still have to use a browser to download software.

What do you mean by the "sane IPC mechanism"? Linux has several: UNIX signals, sockets, FIFO.

You typed a whole page long screed in the OP then posted 20 times in this thread about it

seems like you spend a lot of time fucking with or thinking about this to be honest

And so?
My Mac never had a crash in his entire life.
You also turn on your TV with a gun?

>You still can't update your entire system in one go

been using computers for 15 years

never needed to

Linux is for technical professionals in the first place and the fanboys in the second one.

It's not the same as the modern IPC mechanism that other operating system have, lad. Those are too oudated or too inneficient to do the shit that we want to do with modern systems.
You can got kdbus and solve that issue, but, as usually, the mentally ill morons at FOSS didn't make it work.

Linux server is for professionals

Linux desktop is for fanboys

What do you mean by the "sane IPC mechanism" and "the modern IPC mechanism that other operating system have". Elaborate, pls. What's wrong with the current in Linux?

I never said you did. You don't even need to use a laptop. Quality isn't about needing, it's about wanting.
Winfags can also install more software than anyone else, but they have to download it from Google. It's possible, but no one pretends like it's better than using a secure repository.

>My Mac never had a crash in his entire life.
Your Mac doesn't have an uptime of thousands of hours either. Do you think kernel quality is measured by number of crashed?
>You also turn on your TV with a gun?
I don't even want to know what this retarded analogy meant.

I doubt that Linus write programs on Server instead of Desktop.

Linus is the ultimate fanboy

Regular people who use computers for business such as doctors or CEOs or to get non programming work done don't use linux desktops

>Your Mac doesn't have an uptime of thousands of hours either.
>source: me
I had a Mac running for almost 237 days with updates disabled for avoid reboots. It went fine, even considering that they had in that time one of the worst filesystems in the world
>Do you think kernel quality is measured by number of crashed?
Do you think kernel quality is measured by uptime number?

Yeah, sorry it doesn't have "sane" and "modern" shit like DCOM

Yes, and? How is this ad populum a metric of quality?
Most people eat at McDonald's, including more of any high-end job you can imagine, than at anywhere else, does that mean it's the best food in the world?

It's definitely one of the metrics when considering what to use in a critical system. Hmm should we use this open kernel made from the ground up, or this patchwork of 3 kernels stuck together, none of then intended to be used with the other? Decision, decisions.
But in all seriousness, the biggest stability flaw by far is HFS+.

Go away Preston

>graphic stack in the kernel
ewwww

For absolute stability I would use seL4.
But both kernels (the monolithic spaghetti code minix parody and the stitched three kernel in one) can do the job perfectly.

Do you really think apple users are going to convert to running a linux desktop because of the fucking package manager

what is the point of this thread

jesus op is red raw raped by those new apple products or something

was it that new mac pro or something OP?

>Do you really think apple users are going to convert to running a linux desktop because of the fucking package manager
No, I dont.
>what is the point of this thread
Discussing technology.

Not an argument.

Cry, because how dare someone that uses a desktop to not use my top 500 supercomputer operating system.
Probably he has a z890 to browse facebook too.

Not an argument.
>Browse facebook
What a surprise, out of all the things you can do on a computer, this is the one that a macfag picks out of the top of his head.

>The App Store isn't a package manager, it can't even remove apps installed through it (it can post on facebook though, since that's what macs are good for).

You're joking right? I don't believe this. Not even applel is this bad bud.

I enjoy posting on Sup Forums and Sup Forums from my iBook G4. It feels comfy.

This.

comfy, meme, botnet, CIA nigger, Ryzen, Vega

Sorry, I forgot that gentoomen faps to pedo anime in their thinkpads and z890's mainframes.

Not kidding, after you install an all there's a drop down menu next to the Open button. Links to both Twitter and Facebook, no uninstall button.