/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/i9 - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA/miners buying all RX570s)
>1070 - if on heavy sale-ish
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity/scratch disk/VMs
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board + case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/DTDgcc
evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce 900 Series Family&chipset=GTX 980 Ti
pcpartpicker.com/list/ntBn4C
youtube.com/watch?v=bflLDenKirQ
pcpartpicker.com/list/x3XrBP
pcpartpicker.com/list/4MYFnn
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YkPq2R
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-0004-00551
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/V3J4QV
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Q9vZxr/phanteks-eclipse-p400s-tempered-glass-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec416pstg_bw
youtube.com/watch?v=YRB2iKR0ffE
pcpartpicker.com/list/Xpw2M8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is there a way to get extended warranty on Amazon after purchase?

extending warranty is a sign of lack of confidence in a product
and it's usually bogged down with so many terms and conditions it's practically an inferior version of insurance

Is the anti-static wrist strap just a meme or do you actually need one?

if you rub your hands and feet like a jew on carpet and live in a very dry and hot place you will need it

Are the new Ryzen CPU's good for emulation?

yes since they're on par with sandy bridge for emulation
it only took them what, 10 years to catch up

Best Ryzen motherboard around $100? Was thinking the Asus Prime b350 plus, but it doesn't support 3200 ram from what I gather.

I'd prefer something without rgb, not into all the gamer aesthetics.

B350 tomahawk?

I'd go with the Tomahawk. It's what I'm getting. It supports up to 3200, and is on sale from amazon for $100 atm.

The Prime B350 Plus supports up to 3200 mhz.

vega when? Will they be releasing it like they did ryzen (top tier > middle > bottom)?

Only if you overclock though right?
Any appreciable difference between it and the Asus Prime?

Can processor overclocks get unstable over time? I've been running my cpu at 4.4ghz 1.260v for about 2 years and it's been perfectly fine, however I got a gtx 1070 and wanted to push my cpu further to prevent cpu bottlenecks but couldn't achieve any higher clocks so I reverted back to the original 4.4ghz settings but now I keep getting a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error whenever I run prime95 and everything I can find is saying this is probably due to an unstable overclock.

I did also upgrade my ram and overclock it so could that also be a factor?

Is SLI still shit?

I've got money to throw away and I'm looking to build a housefire, a 1080ti SLI setup is looking tasty. People say the founders edition/reference cooler is a housefire, is it really that bad?

Also how do they do with overclocking? I've heard 2000Mhz is pretty easily attainable for most cards but I dunno.

Yes.

How much has ryzen matured since its launch? Have most of the wrinkles been ironed out?

My pretty old setup recently kicked the bucket. Looking to build my own pc this time, budget around 750 with wiggle room.

>Already have 16 gigs of ddr4 ram

>Daily Sup Forumsrowsing use, mid gaming but I just got a ps4. Maybe streaming if I continue pvping in this chinkmmo

>already have nice mouse/keyboard and dual monitors.

Mainly need help deciding on a cpu/gpu config and the parts I'm less familiar with like mobos and psus.

I don't care about looks or LED's as long as the case is well cooled.

Would appreciate the help Sup Forums

Mobo makers have ironed most things out. What's left is some pretty obscure shit.
You'll be fine.
>what's left
If you have to ask it's not something you need to stress about.

they forgot to add materials for the back.

1080ti fe is fine. stop listening to amd faggots who are waiting for vega. I have a 1080ti fe and at about 75% fan speed you won't get above 70c so if you want it quieter which doesn't bother me because I have headphones on always anyway you can turn it down some to like 50% and will barely hear it at all and will sit comfy at about 75c.

You fuckers were actually right about the i5 being obsolete. Thanks to you I only spent about 80 Eurobucks on the Pentium G4620 (tray) in my meme build and I still play BF4 and GTA5 at 60 fps (in fhd mode only though). Not sure if I'm gonna stay with this setup or at some point swap in a super discounted babby lake i5 or if the socket is still supported a post monopoly cpu.
It's just my weekday entertainment setup when I need some entertainment because neither tv nor workstation here. Working with VM is basically out of the question but that's not a big conern. What are the chances that theres a good mITX AM4 board out before christmas that I can replace my board with?
pcpartpicker.com/list/DTDgcc

What happened to rx500 series ? They're not available anywhere

According to AMD, anything over 2667 mhz is considered an overclock and thus voids warranty.

>holy shit this is the best trade deal in the history of trade deals
evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce 900 Series Family&chipset=GTX 980 Ti

it's a meme
attach your PSU to the case, plug it (make sure there's a ground pin), MAKE SURE THE PSU is off and then touch your case occasionally.
boom you're grounded. no need for some gay ass wristband.

750 burger bucks?
>ryzen R5 1600 ~ $200
>any B350 mobo that has good reviews (doesn't need to be gaymer crap) ~$90 - $150
>RX580 (if you can find one lol) ~$209 or a previous generation card from ebay
For PSUs I personally like EVGA because I've never had an issue when them. Check out Jonnyguru to see if a PSU is good or not.
There ya go. An overkill shitposting machine.
crypto miners snatched them all up. Keep your eye on ebay in a few months and get a couple 580s for cheap

Assuming you have your old HDD or can buy one in the near future this would be good for you to start with. I would suggest looking around for an rx 580 if you can find one for a good deal but if not and you are in the US walmart sells that 1060 for $200 online.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ntBn4C

It's out of stock, am I being rused here?

>fell for the i5 maymay a few years ago
>only play strategy games

That's fucked. Is that something that will change with future updates?

possibly, but we'll have to wait. That said, processors don't die very easily.

well back then the Pentium and i3 were no real alternative (iirc, I've just recently been redpilled on them) so anything between the eternal 2500 and like maybe a 3570 is not bad. What are you running/playing?

is the node 202 really hard to build in if I have no prior experience? I won't be using a gpu right away if that's any help

>check ebay to see how much 380x's are going for
>600-900 fucking US dollars

Holy fuck, i'm selling my shit right now.

Thanks to all the helpful anons who suggested not buying a key for windows. Getting an iso to work was a lot easier than expected.
Anyone know where I can get a copy of windows office? Mainly I just need Word from 2013 or onwards.

Libre office user?

Yes, most expensive Vega (probably $500-$700) will be released first it looks like. In late July. Availability might not be until August.

SLI is okay if you want 4K and 1080Ti is your only decent current option there.
In some games the scaling is only like 125% or doesn't work at all. But there are cases where it scales 190%.

But I'd still say you're better off waiting for Vega or Volta. Vega looks like it's going to beat the 1080Ti handedly in 4K. It may end up being better than 1080Ti SLI in DX12/Vulkan games, even.

>Also how do they do with overclocking? I've heard 2000Mhz is pretty easily attainable for most cards but I dunno.
From what I hear, yeah they hit 2000MHz fine. But Pascal doesn't scale up in performance with overclocking very well at all. Do a 10% overclock on Polaris and you get like a 7-8% performance increase. 10% overclock on Pascal and you get a 3-4% performance increase.
And you have issues like this: youtube.com/watch?v=bflLDenKirQ

DO NOT
>""""upgrade""
from a G4560 to an i5.
An i5-7500 on average is like only a 30% performance increase over the G4560 in gaymin. Sometimes it's only like 10%.
An i7-7700 is the only worthy upgrade to go to from a G4560. Anything else is a waste of money.
Or just sell the G4560 and motherboard, which you can get a decent amount for since it's such a good value combo, and put that money you get toward Ryzen.

Miners are at it again so no rx570 4gb for you. It's $50 more expensive than your budget but you actually get better stuff-overall. You can shave SSD for now to get 6gb 1060, as it has more cores than the 3gb version.

Cities: Skylines (more sim than strategy), Supreme Commander, Civ5, some Total War games, Company of Heroes 1 & 2, Banished (if you count that as strategy), and some other shit games I pick up during sales. After about an hour or two 1 game second is about 1.5 actual seconds.

It's for my mom for office work. I tried walking her through linux and libre office, but she's a bit set at this point.

Better than canadian funny money.

Thinking about:

1060 6gb SC ($240)

r5 with GA-AB350-Gaming mobo ($314 for the whole shabang) -- How efficient is wraith cooler? Should I just pop on a 212 evo?

EVGA Bronze 750W $67 (can I go lower?)

Since im under-budget, snazzy NZXT mid case ($70)

All in all, just under $700. Can I squeeze any more efficiency out of it? I would be content with being able to play games on mid-high graphics, I have a 1440p but usually play games at 1080.

Pirate it off torrent sites

I want a 580, I held off for vega announcement. Vega died before it even arrived. Now all 500's are gone and i have pile of pc part boxes sitting in the corner but no GPU.

What do?

I would not recommend that case.
GPU and CPU facing different directions is sooo stupid.
I'd also get one that has a SFF PSU inside of it.

That case is only popular due to marketing.

Mine on it yourself or stay poor, retard.

Just replace it with a 4790k.

How foolish would it be to get a cheap gpu like gt710 to tide me over until afford a 1080 ti or Vega?

Coming from a 6 year old prebuilt with an A8 apu, so it'd probably be a major improvement still.

1060 if you can't wait
Vega/580 if you can

What did you expect the answer to be?

Something I was trying to avoid.

Fucking jewminers.

Just get a 7850 off ebay for peanuts.

Had a stroke of autism and forgot an SSD, so I'll be right at budget as is. I Have a spare TB harddrive that I know works for storage, so I may opt for a cheap(er) 120 gig boot ssd

thoughts on my build

pcpartpicker.com/list/4MYFnn

Wraith cooler that comes with 1600 is actually pretty good, don't really need to spend extra on it.

As for PSU go for efficiency instead of wattage. A 550w gold&modular one will be a better choice than a bronze 750w one. EVGA Supernova series are pretty good.

4790k costs a much as a new 1700. When I decide to "upgrade" I'll probably just switch over to a DDR4 system or redo the entire system and reuse the drives, case, and PSU.

>ryzen
>1080 instead of 1080ti
>white case
>windows 10
>1080p monitor
kys

Actually putting my first PC together tomorrow and I'm nervous about breaking something or fucking up.

Any advice or things you guys wish you knew before you built your first PC?

If it's like $5, sounds fine. Super garbage GPU that's not worth more.

I was going to say a 5770 but apparently even those are going for $40-$75 now. rofl.

that monitor is like 4 years old

If you're going full nham on overclocking like this suggests, grab the 1600X over the 1600. That way, you don't have to sell a stock cooler.
I'd also drop the windows.
If you want windows, just download the free installation tool off Microsoft's website to install it (via a 4GB or greater USB flash drive), then buy a key from Kinguin for $30.

$60 over budget, had to add an SSD, but I'll let it slide.
Will 550 be safe with what I'll be pulling?

Yeah.
This is why the whole buying a low end Intel CPU and thinking you'll upgrade when your only upgrade options wind up being old CPUs once you feel the need to upgrade is a dumb meme, I guess.

>old monitor

point me in the right direction of a good 120-144hz monitor

Make sure you install the motherboard standoffs/posts in the case, I was a retard and killed two motherboards and two cpu's because I didn't.

Also ground yourself on a plugged in PSU before touching anything. Static is mostly a meme but better safe than sorry.

Seems perfectly doable, especially without a gpu. Just finished my first ITX build with a much more restrictive case and it was fine.

>upgrade to i5-7xxx
no worries I'd only do it if I get it basically for free and I generally want to keep the TDP as low as possible; heat might quickly become an issue. Not on that list is one of these Scythe super slim 120mm case fans but currently I peak around 55°C CPU and GPU which personally is my upper limit of whats acceptable (for CPU). Top case fan mod is still an option though, tools are at hand.
>Or just sell the G4560 and motherboard to get toward Ryzen
Probably what I'll end up doing if I'm no longer satisfied by the build (2nd case fan an absolute must then however). Thanks for the input.

looks like a breddy gud system, you didn't fall too hard with the i5 meme; I hear Cities Skylines can be quite demanding.

It's like Lego. You can't really fuck anything up if you don't force it. Be a bite careful with the CPU and the rest is basically bulletproof.

Thanks, I'm willing to give up on that case, is there any company that undoubtedly makes good SFF cases?

I want a 2+ drive RAID 1 capable backup enclosure that isn't a piece of shit for under $150. Does it exist? All the ones I see have tons of negative reviews where windows will decide the drives aren't formatted and shit like that

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YkPq2R

gaming, 5k budget, canada

photoshop, arma 3, rust, pubg, total war games, 1080p @ 144hz maybe upgrade to 4k in future

got a job and upgrading from an i3 w/ some ATLEAST 5 year old geforce video card, it's a sony vaio all in one from like 2011

>CAD
I know that feel, unfortunately.
1060 w/ 6GB is alright for a mid level computer, though I'd recommend a 580 if you can find one or just wait™ for Vega.
The cooler for the R5 is bretty gud desu. Way better than what intel will give ya.
>EVGA
Good
>bronze
no. Supernova G2/G3 is GOAT.
>case
just get the cheapest case.
For storage I'd recommend getting as much as you can at the time of purchase and adding more as you need it. Maybe start with a 500gb SSD then add more as you need it.

edit: 5k OVERALL with monitor+keyboard etc

What style are you looking for? And which hardware needs to go in it? (drives internal, optical, cpu, dedicated gpu)? Budget?

it was in stock for a long time considering the deal and 4 per person limit

yeah. The thing PSUs is that they are most efficient around 50% load so it's best to stick with half of what your PC will use. According to PCpartpicker this PC will draw 285w so 550W is right at the sweetspot. Again you can

>switch to canada
>it becomes 1200 maple money
and i thought we had it bad

710 goes for around 30-40, that a decent deal?
Seems like the gpu market is inflated right now

>install the motherboard standoffs/posts in the case
Sorry, could you explain this further? I'm pretty nooby. Also, if I do this for grounding is it ok? I would have to wait another 4 days for the wristband to ship..

>Gigabyte Motherboard
All B350 Gigabyte motherboards are shit, get the ASRock Pro4 or any MSI except Gaming Pro
>750W with that build
Get a 550W with better quality like the EVGA GS/GQ or just search for PSU Tiers on google

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-0004-00551
here you go user. Since you're going for 1080 you should be getting something with g-sync

>7700k
pic related.
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/V3J4QV

Get an HD 5750 if you can find one, much better than the 710

Anyone here have the B350 Tomahawk? How is it?

Cities: Skylines is really demanding when you make any sort of progress. The i5 is good for any other genre of game but strategy and sim is where I find it falls flat on its face.

>wristband
Just touch the case my negro...

>newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-0004-00551

fuck that's a lot dude

$500ish, definitely something small that doesn't take much more surface than a ps4, i'm willing to go with a cube since those look pretty good.

Eventually I'll get a gpu for it but it probably won't be very high end. I just want to play the atelier games on steam which don't really seem to have very high system requirements.

Standoffs are what the motherboard rests on. If you don't mount the mobo on the standoffs you'll let the smoke out.

cities skylines is one of my games. Was wondering if a Ryzen 5 1600 would deal with it better?
Just wondering if the R5 1600 would be fine or if I should step up to like a 1700.

by 500 i mean, for the entire build, not the case obviously.

Drop your windows for $130 then you can get a monitor that is
>2016 model
>1440p
>165hz
>g-sync
All things considered it's amazing how they sell that shit for $400

You can skip that expensive as fuck liquid cooling and settle for a little cheaper air alternative, as well as go for a cheaper motherboard unless it has some features that you know you'll use.

Use the money from the Windows 10 ($30 on kinguin) and cooler (stock one is good, not worth spending $100 extra) to upgrade from 1080 to 1080ti, you are getting 20%+ in performance.
Maybe even change the motherboard to a B350, as long as its not from Gigabyte you are good, overclocking is decent enough in all the other motherboards

nearly every modern case is painted inside and out.

What's the capacity of a few bits of sheet metal to safely dissipate electrostatic buildup, anyway?

I'd wait on the static strap... but, it's your gamble to make. The chance of actually causing damage is low. The cost of that damage is very high if it happens.

When you get your case, install these in the motherboard screw holes, then screw the motherboard onto them. This prevents the solder points on the back of the motherboard from shorting against the case

>ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/V3J4QV
1080ti for 1080p gaming... lol you fucks are retarded. how can you throw out a 7700k and offer up a 1080ti for 1080p gaming. enough of this fucking retardation.

Lian Li PC-Q19 is one that uses an SFF PSU but smaller GPUs.
I forgot the Node 202 actually fits an SFX one, doesn't it? So that's fine actually.
But both have the GPU flipped which is really bad for accustics. You want both fans facing away from you as that gives more case to muffle the sound.
Silverstone Milo ML07 is like the Node 202 but easier to work with, can fit more drives, is a bit easier to work with if you want to fangle in water cooling, and has dust filters IIRC.

Personally I'm using a Silverstone FT03 and I love that. It's an mATX case. Not ultra small, but ~1/3rd the size as your usual full tower.
There is the mini version of the FT03 for mITX if you want something that has better air flow, sound dampening, and room to work with.
Or the EVGA Hadron Hydro which is a normal tower style mITX but still pretty small.

>$30 for a 710
Fuck no. That's a scam.
The 710 is half the performance of the iGPU in the G4560.
Are there no RX550, 1030, or 950?
Like can you browse craigslist for just the absolute cheapest GPU? If you're getting some 710 tier, it should be $5-$15.

5750 seem to be around $50 now. They're still pretty good for mining..

does the case have to be attached to a PSU grounded with this method or no

thank you, but if I don't build it tomorrow then I have to wait until next week because my schedule needs to align with a friend : ( does the PSU method not work? I'm using this case btw ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Q9vZxr/phanteks-eclipse-p400s-tempered-glass-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec416pstg_bw

From what I remember Cities: Skylines likes to have more cores. I suspect it's only running poorly for me because I'm using all that my cpu has to offer. I would load up an old save to take a screenshot but the recent update seems to have fucked my saves.
Found this video though
youtube.com/watch?v=YRB2iKR0ffE

Take a look at Lian Li and Silverstone. Always good quality and lots of mITX cases. If you want more style and integrated PSU the EVGA Hadron Air has a great layout and a DVD slot but is overpriced for the quality.
If money is tight you can always go with the classic Thermaltake Core V1 which is like 35 Dollares.

>b350

aren't these not really meant for overclocking?

also which model would you recommend?

the milo ml07 looks pretty good to be honest. I'll read a few reviews and maybe go with that. Thanks for your input!

pcpartpicker.com/list/Xpw2M8
ftfy

I didn't bother changing the monitor because I think it's more a matter of preference. Besides, it's ultra wide and 144Hz. That'll be about as taxing as a 16:9 1440p 60Hz monitor.

>RX550, 1030, or 950?
All selling over $50, if I'm gonna pay that much I'll just get a 1060 and put off getting a new gpu for a couple of years.
>Like can you browse craigslist for just the absolute cheapest GPU?
I live in a shit hole, only thing available is an rx460 for $100.

mATX
>ASRock B350M Pro4 (Most popular)
>MSI B350M (all except gaming pro)

ATX
>MSI B350 PC Mate (most popular here)
>MSI B350 (any other)
>Asus Prime B350 Plus (very good)
>ASRock AB350 Pro4

Just avoid the B350M from Gigabyte and Asus and from MSI the B350M Gaming pro.

The top 3 cases for my ITX build that didn't make the cut (went with the PC Q21) were the Hadron Air, the Jonsbo U1+ and UMX1 line and the Silverstone SG06. But the core v1 is just as good at a lower price. Throw in an i3 with ssd and you're set.