Ubuntu has officially canned Unity. Only GNOME is included in Ubuntu

Ubuntu has officially canned Unity. Only GNOME is included in Ubuntu.

Other urls found in this thread:

cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/pending/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The latest .iso does not have Unity included anymore. Looks like Ubuntu has finally finished it's switch to GNOME.

cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/pending/

why they canned unity? was literaly the flag of ubuntu for so long time

I'm actually enjoying GNOME right now more than I did Unity, and it's because GNOME is basically *the* DE of Linux.

Why did they kill unity?
It was the only unique thing about ubuntu at this point.

because unity8 and ubuntu on tablets / phones failed

can something fail if it never really started to begin with?

now start fixing the bullshit.

Because they wanted to make Ubuntu more modern, and Unity is not really capable supporting Wayland the way it is, whereas GNOME already supports it. There is a GNOME Wayland session in the newest Ubuntu right now too.
Pretty much. Unity7 development was basically dead for a while when they started on Unity 8. It was smart to move to GNOME IMO.
Lol.
Hopefully GNOME gets better now that Ubuntu is using it as its default DE. I'm enjoying GNOME a lot already, probably more than Unity, but I can't wait to see what's to come.

does that mean the cool looking terminal they were working on for unity is over with? tilix is cool, but the one they were working on looked a bit more neat.

pic related

I would assume so, but now they can spend resources developing new things and also contributing more stuff to GNOME.

If you like GNOME then you'll love KDE. GNOME's hidpi is fucking garbage and GTK is pretty ugly.

>tripfag
>GNOME
>the DE

No. >>>/ss/

KDE is. GNOME isn't a DE. Nautilus doesn't count.

I've used KDE. I like it but there's something about it I don't like, also it's pretty buggy (the defaults aren't, but once you change stuff in settings then it becomes pretty buggy). I would say I prefer GNOME to KDE, and I don't have a problem with GTK.

thank fucking god
unity is cancer, makes me want to vomit every time I have to use ubuntu

I've used GNOME. I like it, but there's something about it I don't like, also it's pretty buggy (the defaults aren't, but once you change stuff in settings, then it becomes pretty buggy). I would say I prefer KDE to GNOME, and I don't have a problem with Qt.

>KDE is

Lol, how could I have forgotten that KDE is the default DE for most flagship distros and is also used my Linus Torvalds. Oh wait, that's GNOME.

I liked Unity, but I have to say GNOME is so far better and more enjoyable.

Yeah I was looking forward to some day moving to Ubuntu phones but I was waiting for the next generation and it never came. I even opted in for the e-mail that would report it to me when they came.

I want my phone to have three things. Big screen, big battery and waterproof body. I was hoping to see an Ubuntu phone with those things some day, as the OS itself was very interesting. I would have paid a lot of it too, if it was worth the money.

>changes the words so it no longer makes sense

Nice one lad

I've used twm. I like it, but there's something about it I don't like, also it's pretty buggy (the defaults aren't, but once you change stuff in settings, then it becomes pretty buggy). I would say I prefer twm to wm2, and I don't have a problem with Tom.

Gnome is the only DE worth a shit anyway unless you're a super l33t ricer.

I've used Openbox. I like it, but there's something about it I don't like, also it's pretty buggy (the defaults aren't, but once you change stuff in settings, then it becomes pretty buggy). I would say I prefer Blackbox to Openbox, and I don't have a problem with EWMH.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Ubuntu, is in fact, Ubuntu/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Ubuntu plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Ubuntu system made useful by the Ubuntu experience comprising a full OS as defined by Canonical Ltd.

budgie is better desu senpai

install cloveros

>Unity is found to be sending your info to amazon
>WTF CANONICAL! YOU'RE THE WORST!
>Canonical decides to scrap unity
>WTF CANONICAL! YOU'RE THE WORST!
Never change Sup Forums

Lol. Budgie is good, but I'm liking GNOME more.
Is it like Arch Anywhere but for Gentoo?

That's actually good.

did they give up on mir?

wait, unity was sending the info? not canonical?

Yup, they are focused on Wayland now.

the only people who bothered with plain Ubuntu were the ones who found themselves liking Unity
and now those people are up a creek

Linus has some right shit opinions though. He's good at what he does (kernel-level stuff), but that's it.

It was just the DE doing it, xubuntu/lubuntu/kubuntu/GNOME ubuntu never had this problem.