Daily Reminder that GNOME is the greatest chance there is to year of the Linux desktop...

Daily Reminder that GNOME is the greatest chance there is to year of the Linux desktop. Nothing else can compete with it.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/dylanaraps/neofetch
github.com/dylanaraps/neofetch/wiki/Customizing-Info
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I sure love wasting 3 inches of vertical space for those massive fucking title bars.

Actually pretty good, OP

GNOME is a meme

i too love to waste half the vertical space of my screen with unnecessary title bars

Exactly. Don't make the headerbars unnecessary.

What theme is that?

Numix frost

Until normies don't have to fuck around with config files just to make titlebars not fucking huge, Gnome will be kind of a joke.

Gnome is best hope for year of the garden ornament. Sucks on the desktop tho.

can you make your desktop color black?

>Titlebar and menu bars are combined
>Net effect is less vertical space than on old DE's
>Only programs that use more space are lazy and don't have GNOME theming

You people will say anything to ensure Linux never gains any traction or good software, won't you?

linux doesnt need traction from nu-males and roasties
all that will do is flood every forum with shit questions that can be binged in 5 seconds

Minimize the title bars. Add this to ~/.config/gtk-3.0

headerbar {
min-height: 0px;
padding-top: 2px;
padding-bottom: 2px;
padding-right: 2px;
padding-left: 2px;
}

headerbar entry,
headerbar spinbutton,
headerbar button,
headerbar separator {
margin-top: 0px;
margin-bottom: 0px;
}

.titlebar {
min-height: 0px;
}

>right click to make file
>no make file in menu

>watching movie
>flick mouse to upper left accidentally
>UI opens

It's the exact opposite. Imagine coming from Windows and missing half the features you expect from a desktop and people are telling you to install shitloads of extensions or point you to use dconf or the terminal. That's surely great for adoption.
But hey, at least it looks nice.

Nope, Chromebooks are. You know why? Because they're actually being sold in mainstream stores and being marketed to users.

It's hard to find a single new laptop sold with Linux that isn't a Chromebook at Amazon, Target or Best Buy.

Gnome, especially 3 is fucking shit.
Also all DE based on gnome like cinanomon are also shit because fucking gnome widgets are so ugly and retarded.

This^.

GNOME needs to fire everyone that isn't a basic code monkey (i.e. white males) and hire some competent UI designers (i.e. white males)

>>right click to make file
>>no make file in menu
touch ~/Templates/New.txt

From now on you should be able to see new document option

dell XPS

Take your mental illness to your day care board

So much for that.

>a heavy desktop with no features or customization out of the box will bring the year of the Linux desktop
Yeah, no.

Clutter and slower. What are you going to do, make an empty file?

Open text editor > write > save
Open word processor > write > save

What's the matter? Need your safe space?

Developers edition

Fuck off dude, seriously. This thread is related to technology.

>year of the linux desktop
Never gonna happen, OP. I say this as somebody who uses Linux exclusively.

>Fuck off dude, seriously

Make me.

Your safe space here:

Why do Sup Forums shitters ruin every fucking thread?

Have you ever felt "you are not welcome" anywhere?

>still no proper thumbnails on the file picker
They should kill themselves for not putting this up after more than 50 gorillion years.

>Why do Sup Forums shitters ruin every fucking thread?

Sorry but not sorry snowflake.

Does it look like I give a shit?

It's clutter. Name your files better, memer.

moot really should have doubled down on the deletion. It's somehow worse than the horsefuckers.

Developer edition is not marketed to the mainstream. You're not going to find it in a store where average people shop for computers. Most people aren't even aware Ubuntu exists. It needs to be available on every model, sold in mainstream stores and advertised to everyone.

>just name and organize tens of thousands of images
Even with subdirectories, it's still too much.
>hurr it's your problem
It's a problem for everyone, don't defend that garbage.

Well if you count chromebooks as traditional Linux system for desktop, Android is already a success

No.60795755

It's so easy to trigger snowflakes. Face it, GNOME was better when it wasn't blowing money on silly feminist outreach programs and hiring people based on diversity quotas instead of, y'know, actual talent or skill.

Google has been working really hard to get their operating systems preinstalled on devices and marketed to mainstream markets.

I wish Canonical could do the same.

This.

If only C wasn't as shit when it comes to scalability

Eh, canonical is a small and new company. It doesn't have billions to invest. Most normies want killer apps like Office etc and Libreoffice isn't promoted as good

I spoke to one of the GNOME devs and suggested that the file picker should be rewritten from the scratch instead of fixing them

>rewritten
Rewrite it in Rust, amirite?

>year of the Linux desktop.
yawn

No in machine code

Desktop Linux needs some way to get out of obscurity. Spinning cubes and wobbly windows will not do that. Those only work to draw in people who are already in the Linux community.

The truth is, you can have as many features as you want, but if you don't make any effort to reach the mainstream, none of it will matter if they have no idea it even exists.

It would be better to fix the problem of vendor lock-in.

I kinda want Microsoft and Steam to go separate ways. If Steambox manages to be the to-go os for gamers we'll have a boost

When my ["normie"] relatives walk into a store and buy a laptop with Linux preinstalled without needing my help, instead of me having to install it on their Windows computer because Windows was the only choice being sold in stores, then can I agree that the "year of the Linux desktop" may finally be around the corner.

What's not to like? Gnome 3.26 will be even better.

Valve needs to incentivize developers, both AAA and independent, to make games for SteamOS. I'm still seeing a lot of new games that are Windows-only.

Please give me thumbnails in the file picker please.

>worst DE of all
>nothing competes with it
budgie is a better gnome-based DE than gnome is. Gnome is some weird, buggy, slow shit.

>gnome
>can only have one window active at a time
>have to go to a new screen to switch tasks instead of simply switching by clicking the task on the taskbar

How are you supposed to compete with windows if you hinder productivity

Mine are that size by stock though and it has words

This is the only con of Gnome. But I have learned to live with it. My sacrifice to the Gnome developers.

Gnome is open source. Did it really go 13 years without a single pull request fixing this problem or are they actively rejecting any contributions to fix this?

It's smaller and I painted over the title in the titlebar.

>can only have one window active at a time
?

my eyes decieved me

time to follow your instructions

>Budgie
muh nigga.

>2017
>1024x768
kys

God her ass must smell so good. Like perfume + shit on a steaming July day. I'd bet she want sum fuck even with that much disdain towards the viewer. Brrap BRRAAPAPR BRRAAAPPP

Still waiting for the Qt port.

How do you add song and stuff

It's GTK more than GNOME(although the two projects are strictly connected), and yes, they actively refuse to implement it.

I can't wait to Budgie and LXDE successfully moving to Qt, GTK needs to be killed already if only for the retarded nigger attitude their devs have.

Hold on. I used gnome like one year ago. How do you make the bar with the programs appear while not in the overview.

>LXQT
>not a dead meme

Is this just a meme? Or is there something I'm not understanding? When browsing files, I see thumbnails. When selecting files to open in some program or other, I see thumbails (albeit small).

What do people want that isn't there?

>What do people want that isn't there?

Something like this.

literally reads on the github page

That really seems like what exists. I really don't know what I'm missing.

In open dialog

Try to upload an image from the file picker. All you get is a list view and you cannot change it.

Ok, so it's just that the thumbnails shown when opening files are small/the open dialogue displays in list view rather than a grid?

KDE is even more awesome and XFCE is the best.

>open button is where the close button is on other windows
>cancel button is on the other side
Why?

Task bar is inefficient !
>proceeds to put taskbar behind a hot corner
oh look everything is so much nicer now

Literally babby's first UX course.

By the way Sup Forumsentlemen has someone tried ratpoison? Does it work or is it just mayor autism?

Give me one reason why you didn't contribute to ReactOS yet?

it will replace Windows soon.

why aren't you using dash to panel, Sup Forums?

Because I don't use the shitstain that is Gnome.

>I sure love wasting 3 inches of vertical space for those massive fucking title bars that you can adjust in 15 seconds with the GNOME tweak tool
What a queer.

>tablet UI is the best chance of a desktop
No, it really isn't.

You know it. Tastes great too. Except after 20 or so licks.

Gnome tries to look modern and fails miserably at it.

GNOME is just a slow bloated version of Unity at this point.

Nah, it looks modern. It just works like shit.

github.com/dylanaraps/neofetch
github.com/dylanaraps/neofetch/wiki/Customizing-Info

Save the big config file to ~/.config/neofetch/config

budgie exists.

I wish Canonical didn't waste all of their time on Unity 8 so Unity 7 wouldn't have stagnated. Maybe they would've thought twice before killing it off completely if that were the case. It was so close to being decent, it just needed more developer interest

That's the great thing, now that's unshackled from Canonicals crazy convergence plans, Unity7 can slowly have the tablet parts hacked off and become a real polished desktop WM.

bloat

I like it.

>Using an entire GNOME fork to get the functionality of a plugin
>People are actually working on this stupid thing

I guess capitalism will have to do its work and kill Budgie through the zero attention it will continue to receive.

>that 2007 design

>Actively playing dumb to defend gnome devs
GTK nigger spotted

I just like how you can customize it to a comfy windows 7 feel.