I did a big mistake. I was using fucking apple music that is not available on linux...

I did a big mistake. I was using fucking apple music that is not available on linux. So I have a library of downloaded music on my disk and I want to convert it to mp3 or something free and open. So how can I do this? Those files have m4p format, I've read that it's encrypted format.
Is it even possible?

that's illegal user

I don't care.

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.

just google, i found a solution to this problem once

:'(

>digital data ""degrading""
ok.

>rotational velocidensity
I hate to admit it but I have believed this for quite some time a year or 3 ago

>what is bitrot

>I've read that it's encrypted format
I call bullshit. I've just converted a song that I've bought in the iTunes store by dragging it onto the desktop and opening it with an audio editor/encoder. It took literally less than a minute.

My town has way too many dogs with one missing leg.
I suspect a sadistic veterinarian is on the loose.
I'm sure it's not the same 6 dogs I keep seeing everywhere, and besides this town isn't big enough there should be even that many.
Anybody I've mentioned this to looks at me like I'm nuts and laughs it off.
What do?

You call bullshit that Apple uses DRM on itunes? How old are you?

Ever heard of winrot?

Thats why. The NT architecture of windows can not correctly error control for the slow degradtion of bits. Linux and other unix like OSes have a built in system for counteracting this, but because of the registry in windows this is impossible. Microsoft tried really hard with longhorn and coptown to fix this, but both projects failed.

>what is audiophile insanity

I'm 35 and Apple has dropped DRM from all iTunes music files around 2009 you stupid fuck.

Not from the Apple Music service. All DRM.

Photograph them.

what if I use SSD?

That's a different story. Apple Music is a *streaming-service* and it only uses local storage for some offline functionality. I wasn't aware that you can actually buy specific songs/albums there (if that's even the case).

>buying music

That only applies to optical media

>Use a streaming service
>Cry when you realize you never owned the music

topkek