I've been forced into a situation where I have to use wi-fi internet on my desktop computer. How do I go about this...

I've been forced into a situation where I have to use wi-fi internet on my desktop computer. How do I go about this? Can I just use a dongle or should I buy a dedicated network card?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8UD37Y8211&cm_re=atheros-_-9SIA8UD37Y8211-_-Product
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends on how temporary the situation is

You have an x1 slot, so you might as well use it.

Im just waiting for the install gentoo meme to pop up

it's basically permanent. It's not like my internet is very good so I'm hardly missing out on the BLISTERING SPEEDS an ethernet cable can provide. pic related.

External always
If you can get one with extencion better because you would need move the adapter to get more signal

Install Gentoo
Also

Buy a dongle, always.

What kind of motherboard do you got? By size and how much it will fit by the PCI slots I mean. If you have a PCI-E x1 slot left empty all the time, use it for the wi-fi.

No don't.
PCI-e wireless is terrible not to mention hardware to move if the reception is poor.

OP, DO NOT buy an internal wireless card, you'll regret it.

It doesn't matter. The chips are all the same be it pcie or usb. USB will likely be better because you can position the device to get better signal if needed.

Thanks. Consensus seems to be 'dongles' are more practical.

Odd, mine is working fine 24/7. Though it uses the PCI-e x16 instead.

2/10, here's your (you)

Thnks bb

Does the dongle in OP work with Debian 9 (with appropriate firmware blob ofc)?

Get a USB one with a cable. You do not lose signal over USB cables, and the long cable allows you to position it where it gets best reception. If you want your freedom respected, get Atheros. They are the only ones who have both a FOSS driver and firmware

Enjoy buying a loose chink usb with an antenna instead of one that fit stuck like a canine dong.

get this OP

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045

atheros chipset

Asperger Chipset.

OP, what type of network are you connecting to?
How far away are you from the AP and how many walls are there between you and the AP (and what are they made of!)

enjoy your botnet

dont use WPS or enjoy your MITM attacks

get alfa and install kali

install pentoo

Dongle. The only reason to go with internal if you're building a hackintosh and you want to use an adapter to get an original Apple wifi card working.

broadband network. 2 brick walls but we have a wifi booster between those 2 walls.

Always internal
The usb ones are ALL dogshit and you will get 1/4 your speed at best
Get a nice internal one and a nice AP and you can get 90% of your internet speed just fine

I would just buy a router and install ddwrt on it and use that as my wireless adapter

i have heard that the newer verswions use realtek chips. :(

lame. i wish it would be easier to find out what youre geting

Get this OP

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8UD37Y8211&cm_re=atheros-_-9SIA8UD37Y8211-_-Product

atheros chipset

I use an ethernet bridge. You configure it with the wifi details, power it with USB, then connect it to your desktop with a short ethernet cord. It never disconnects and is treated the same as any other ethernet connection by every OS, so there's no driver bullshit.

>tfw ethernet bridges cost $100

Mine sure didn't. It's a tplink 703n with mr3020 firmware flashed. I don't remember what I paid for it but it was cheap.

Why can't you just run a cable through the wall or under the carpet? Why are you being "forced" to use wifi?

could you possibly use powerline? It's really reliable and it also just werks.

My experience has been that dongle drivers are shit and internet cuts out frequently, and USB is not as fast as PCIE for data transfer
Never had any issues with PCIE cards.
Not sure why people are against wifi cards so much here.

implying an antenna can't be used? fuck off autist.

long antenna cables degrade performance

thanks for that anecdote

Whats the advantage of using this over a USB one?

>not going to goodwill and getting a $5 router and $0.99 patch cable and flashing it for bridge function

knows what's up

thats what i do for my printer!

who the fuck would use a long antenna? they don't gain strength from length you turbo autist.

get a cheap pci-e card. even a single antenna unit is fine for

Nice ping though

Buy a bridge.

The whole thread is anecdotal, I fail to see your point.

Stay away from TP-Link. I had two and they were both garbage. Get one of those powerlines.