Use Ubuntu with non-free drivers.

/thread

nice trips

Install gentoo

any answer other than this is incorrect

Windows 10

Any Linux, VM+GPU passthrough.

These two and that's final.

My CPU does not support passthrough. It's i5-6600k. What are non-free drivers?

as in driver made by your card manufacturer, not by the community

Free as in freedom.

Free software is community developed a licensed under the GPL, a legally binding contract, allowing anyone to view, modify, and redistribute the code as they see fit.
This is nearly the entire basis of what makes linux incorruptible.

Some drivers, as in the case of graphical drivers, are proprietary blobs which do not respect this freedom.
In certain cases such as Nvidia where open standards and documentation are shunned, the free drivers will perform poorly.
On the AMD side they are quite robust and trade blows with the nonfree drivers.

More than just GPUs use free/nonfree drivers. All hardware on the system requires these drivers.

tl;dr > Pick the nonfree if you want compatibility and an out-of-the-box functional system. Free if you want to live the dream.

How is mate for gayming?

Funtoo.

It's built on Gentoo but they made it extremely user-friendly so that even the tech-illiterates from Windows can install and use it. And it has amazing support for games, hence the name "Fun"too. I have yet to run into a Windows-only game that won't run on Funtoo.

Ubuntu is the only distribution tested and supported by valve. All the others may work fine but you're on your own.

isn't this from a macbook video?

I forget, probably not becuase i probably wouldnt watch a macbook vid, just not interested. I made it yesterday. Pic related is the original

Play games made for linux

for some /vr/
look into ioquake3, AlephOne, and Zandronum

GoG has a nice assortment of linux games as well, also you should note that openMW allows you to play Morrowind on Linx!

As for non-linux games anything DX9 with some wine work arounds should work. Thanks to Vulkan you can even run the new Doom.

Origin and DX11 games are still a no go though.

>On the AMD side they are quite robust and trade blows with the nonfree drivers

>only slightly less worse than syphilis

I thought certain DX11 games like Overwatch work via Wine?

Is that Maribel and Renko?

Only with a lot of Workarounds and Configuring.
And Overwtach only worked barely the last time i checked (lots of graphical bugs)

>CTRL+F Solus
>0 of 0
What is wrong with you anons?

Solus is quickly becoming the "It just works" distribution. It's very beginner friendly and looks sexy. It also has a native built Steam runtime to replace the borked shit that Steam pushed onto the Linux users. With the Solus version of Steam most games are guaranteed to work. You are given a choice to run either runtime, should you want to, when the Steam application is executed.
Almost every emulator is in the repo as well.

Or go with the GPU passthrough.

Solus is shit tho

>linux
>programs
>let alone games
???

> Solus is quickly becoming
It was shilled on Sup Forums six month ago and quickly went off radar, like every hobbyist distro.

This
Portage allows old package versions unlike Arch, I wish I knew before falling into the abyss

Go away Kevin

linux mint?

also just use windows for gaming...

so it's basically a gaming distro at this point

>just use windows

I can't stand this mentality.

Yes it does

>it looks sexy

why do people have the impression that looking like you're using android on your desktop is sexy

I mean shit that looks like material design to me.

Also what do you mean about "it just works"? How can this one new still somewhat obscure distro be more just worksy than Ubanto which has a gigantic ass community

Quake

xubuntu