-post your small tech support questions HERE, don't create a thread for them
-don't just bump the thread, most people look for posts without replies
-take at least 10 seconds checking your problem with a search engine

old:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcmonitors.info/reviews/viewsonic-xg2401/
pcmonitors.info/samsung/samsung-s25hg50-144hz-tn-model/
pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-c24fg70/
wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/15723-monitor-questions-read-1st-post-post-questions-here-send-me-private-message.html#post1359160
reddit
ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Evo-250GB-vs-Samsung-850-Evo-500GB/2977vs3477
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My old monitor just died, should I get an IPS or TN for my new one? I'm using it mostly for muh video gaymes and I'm looking for one that's not too expensive.

Hello,

I fell for the Seagate meme and just lost my 1tb external hard drive (shit isn't mounting anymore).

Any recommendations for a new USB storage device?

Install gentoo wiki suggests to just buy a regular hard drive and use an adapter case for it, is that ok?

OLED

Can I put more RAM in my laptop? Is it as simple as slotting it in or could I actually fuck it up?

Clevo W370SS

Can a change of compilers (from Microsoft's C++ compiler to G++) cause a segfault in some way? Like, could something thats fine in VS cause somemthing as bad as a seg fault when compiled on Linux?

If the RAM isn't soldered in then you can add more.

Great, thanks. The slots are not soldered :)

there used to be an android game called infected
what the hell happened? it's no longer on the play store, and i can't find any records of it online
the shit was like magic when it came to passing time, it could make hours seem like minutes
any of yall know what i'm talking about?

elaborate?

Should I learn React (for job applications) or is it just a meme library?

Yesterday my PC froze and then I turned it off, after that my PC won't boot, not even get to the Asus screen, I get zero video output, and CPU_LED is solid red on the motherboard.

I tried removing ram, removing my GPU and removing my CPU and putting it back on. I have no idea what to do anymore. I have an AMD FX 8350 and an Asus m5a99x Evo r2.0 motherboard.

I'm starting to run out of options, I tried clearing CMOS, checking the 24 pin cable and the CPU power cable, checked to see whether there were any bent pins. Nothing worked.

What resolution and frame rate do you desire to play at?
What GPU do you have?
And what kind of games do you play?

Are you thinking of Plague Inc. or Pandemic?

Two questions:
I have a couple (actually a few thousand) texture files that are, supposedly, .tif files but their headers don't match up to any common image file format. Is there any way I could figure out what they are?

Is there any program that extracts data from a file following a certain pattern (e.g. a bunch of JPG images put together, uncompressed in an archive format)?

HDD SMART question

My HDD sometimes doesn't start or starts with clicks on my pc. I do think this is because of my pci psu or something because it never does that with a HDD box.

Somehow it got its spin-up retry count to 1, so bios and os triggers many alarms as it doesn't pass SMART self check. But it does pass short and long self tests.

Is there a way to reset the spin-up retry count? Is it got triggered because of my broken pc or the hdd is dying?

Yes, buy toshiba and an enclosure, as it is the only non-US brand and thier HDDs are pretty good.

1080p 60hz is fine, I'm not looking for anything too fancy as long as it's nothing less than that. My GPU is an R9 380 and I play pretty much all kinds of games

nope
it was called infected, and it had nothing to do with zombies or disease, or any of that. it had absolutely no theme to it, just gameplay mechanics with different coloured hexagons

Is it time to upgrade?
Can I get a laptop with specs like this now?

Check your PSU, its voltages. It is probably it.

If I root/flash a custom rom on my phone would it mess anything up with the cellular stuff like texting and calling? I assume it doesn't save anything from when you flash a rom unless you do some extra steps.

Mostly not. Check xda forums, some sony and lg phones start to take shittier pics. That should be it.

>W10
>cmd line window keeps popping up for a second
>malwarebytes scans get cancelled
>wangblows defender picks up nothing but that doesn't mean shit
>scared to reboot

what do

Upgrade the video card if you're gaming. The 3770 is still a pretty respectable processor.

Fucking hope so, don't want to buy another cpu

Alright thanks, but it won't save any other apps/settings by itself right?

IrfanView will alert you if certain file types have the wrong extension, could try that.

Sounds familiar, no idea though.

Yes. This is my laptop which I bought 3 years ago. It was cheap.

If you just root by an exploit, app or something, nothing will change.

But if you root by unlocking your bootloader, it will factory reset the device.

If your root method resets your phone, some apps are backup-able by "adb backup" command.

install LFS

Ok but that only applies to just rooting right? I was thinking of flashing a rom as well.

>install LFS
>install
>LFS

Hey mate I had the same problem.
It's powershell updating itself. Try disabling it.

Yeah, flashing a rom will wipe it clean, at least it should. You can't use a rom's user data with another. You have to backup the apps with something like titanium backup.

How do I know if I have a miner on my gpu?

Sorry, I was eating dinner.

I'd get the Viewsonic XG2401 if you're going for a 24" 1080p 144hz TN monitor with FreeSync.

The Samsung S25HG50 might be good, but no solid reviews yet.

pcmonitors.info/samsung/samsung-s25hg50-144hz-tn-model/

I'd get a Samsung CF24G70 if you're going for a 24" 1080p 144hz VA monitor with FreeSync.

pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-c24fg70/

Tried IrfanView, it just says "unknown or damaged file".

Uyy un gay
JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA

Where do I go to do that? I've never messed with powershell

The Samsung CF24G70 is curved, forgot to mention. There are pros and cons for IPS vs TN vs VA, figure out what best suits you and if possible, see the monitors in person.

Ask about IPS monitors on /r/monitors. A few regulars are pretty knowledgeable.

wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/15723-monitor-questions-read-1st-post-post-questions-here-send-me-private-message.html#post1359160

PM NCX on reddit (reddit com/user/NCX/). He knows his shit.

So I decided to indulge in some autism and reduce my browser fingerprint. Among other things, I turned off remote fonts, aaand now panopticlick is saying I'm reporting my fonts as Wingdings and Wingdings 2.
Best thing is, 1 in 12 browsers are apparently doing the same thing.

What the fuck?

Type Windows Features in your search bar. Uncheck this option.

Thanks for the recommendations but I think the prices are a bit high, maybe if you can suggest some with a bit lower refresh rate?

Yeah I figured it out after I asked. Thanks though!

Though I gotta add, I never had the problem where my MB scans failed. I just had the shell come up every other hour or so.

I'm starting a new job as a data center technician.
I have zero experience and am looking for a good book or anything to give me a headstart. The job basically has me building server racks to ship out to other companies.

I'd like to learn everything, from hardware to software. Again preferably a book to read on my Kindle.

I can't take Windows 10 anymore. Its finally broken me. I'll play "muh games" somewhere else. I can't Dew™ it any longer.

What Linux distro should I install on my first self-built PC.

I want all the bells and whistles, privacy is important but i'm not trading bitcoins with Pajeets and Dmitry's or anything and anything is a step up from Windows 10. Noob friendly helps. Please. I want to join the Linux.

What the fuck are you gonna play on linux?
TF2?

The MB thing might be unrelated. It only started cancelling scans after I updated it. I googled around and some other people had a similar issue and had to reinstall MB

$400 for a 1080p monitor is just retarded

You sort of get what you pay for in monitors.

If you somehow can manage it, I'd really recommend saving up and getting a Viewsonic XG2401.

But if you can't deviate from your budget, try pming NCX or making a thread on /r/monitors, I'm not as familiar with IPS monitors. They'll be able to help.

The ones I recommended were under $300. Closer to $250. The ViewSonic XG2401 is $250.

how do i convince my boss to leave my laptop alone? he's extremely computer illiterate and keeps insisting that i should be running an antivirus

i work from home. my boss hired some "internet security expert" that wants to charge us to install this and some other shit on my personal laptop

i haven't had a fucking virus in over 10 years. i literally don't know how to explain this to him: MY PC IS FINE LEAVE IT ALONE

At least where I'm from. Prices vary from country to country.

I'm not him.

I was just speaking in generalities. How does Samsung think that's a fair price, and why are people paying it?

Ok well, one last question, does that Viewsonic have a matte or glossy screen? My computer is near a window and I would prefer a non-glossy one.

You need a lawyer, not a tech.

R8 my build pliss

>R5 1400
>MSI B350 Gaming PLUS
>8GB Crucial 2133
>PSU XFX XT500W

This is pretty decent for under 500 bucks innit

"The screen surface is regular (medium) matte antiglare."

Will an Accelero Arctic Xtreme 4 for an Rx 480 fit in an ENERMAX ECA3351A case?

The cooler is 288 mm and the case width is 390 mm, but I know for a fact that the cooler width starts at the middle of the card due to the heatsink being in the middle, so I'm not sure there will be enough room in the case.

please fucking help me figure this out

But yeah, I agree.

I wouldn't pay $400 for a 1080p monitor. Max I'd pay is $300.

lawyer? this isn't a legal issue and i have nothing hide on my pc.

i'm not being forced against my will. he even offered to buy me a work laptop. but i don't want to waste company money on this shit

i guess my question is how do you convince normies that you don't need an antivirus if you know what you're doing

Why is my Ryzen 7 1700 so hot? The cpu doesn't show up in speccy for some reason so I'm using HW to watch the temps. There are three temps for some reason but 2 of them are above 40C and one is 60C when idle.

Thanks so much

Make a 2nd partition with only your work OS on it and explain him you use that and only that for work, and that it's completely independent of the other OS.

New harddrive failed 4.0framework. I have my old harddrive still in, what is the problem?

Forgot to mention im using the stock cooler since everyone and their mothers said it was okay to overclock on the stock cooler.

thanks for your help. but my boss doesn't know what an OS is, even if i were to explain it

im thinking just take the company laptop at this point. its free

I just did that, thank you user

Just put avast on there and turn it off, or show him windows defender when he asks for an anti virus

No problem. Good luck in your search.

>OC on stock cooler
laffin'

Should've been clear That I'm not overclocking myself. Just that everyone else is doing that so i figured that it'd be ok to have normal settings

What's wrong with Firefox/4chanX?
2 out of 8 GB RAM used, CPU at below 15%, no termal throttling (40-45C).
Yet I still get random few second freezes, it's laggy from time to time, sometimes completely crashes.

Also: "Always purchase from retailers with hassle free return and exchange policies. Read retailers return and exchange policies before buying."

Well from your screenshot the temps only seem to shoot up when the cpu boost is active,
also 70C isn't terribly hot.
When it's just at 3Ghz is it still that hot?

Which would boot faster a 250 GB SSD or a 500 GB SSD?

Ryzen does not have a built-in GPU. I would invest a few shekels into a GPU (Even a low end one is fine).

So we *can't* install gentoo too, faggot? What is the correct term to use?

The 500 GB SSD technically, though I don't know if it would be perceptible.

ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Evo-250GB-vs-Samsung-850-Evo-500GB/2977vs3477

I'm just busting balls. I don't care what the correct term is

I am going to build a new RAID array inside my Windows PC. Thinking of going RAID5, maybe RAID10.

Is onboard RAID shit for RAID5?
Should I invest in a RAID card? What's a good model to look for? New or used.
My mobo only has 2x SATA 6Gb/s ports, so any other RAID has to go through the 3Gb/s SATA ports.
If I use 8TB WD Reds, will I notice a difference?

Either install ubuntu or debian.

Ubuntu has a large community to help you get started.

Debian is pretty stable but you won't learn shit and freak out when you stumble upon a problem.

Pick your poison.

Thanks, I'm just on the fence on whether or not I should get a 250 or 500 GB SSD.

My computer freezes when I try waking up after I put it to sleep. What could be the issue? I've already updated the bios and my graphics card. I've also done a fresh install of Windows 10.

Faggot

Hardware RAID is generally not recommended. It is doubtful that you'll see any sort of difference between 3 Gbps and 6 Gbps ports with hard drives.
You may want to look into ReFS instead of RAID5 also.

Very new to programming here

What is the point of using a text editor like vim or emacs over using an IDE? I currently only program in Java, so that may be why I only have experience with IDE.

memes. nobody here actually uses vim.

Making quick, minor adjustments is a lot faster in vim. Also, muh bloat on minimal installs. People will also say IDEs can coddle a beginner too much for them to develop stronger bug-fixing skills.

Note that I almost exclusively use an IDE while programming, I'm just saying why people wouldn't.

I know most people on Sup Forums are NEETS, but do most industry "professionals" use IDEs?

Why could my USB bluetooth dongle work bad/laggy on my case/motherboard USB ports but good on a hub?

Does the GTX 970 support DMS-59? I need to run two monitors off of one DVI port.

I upgraded from a i5 3470 to a i7 3770, but the i7 is running a lot hotter! Before my i5 was at like 35 C or so and the i7 is 45+ C.
What's the deal?

is there a way i can open a Sup Forums thread and remove all the images?
i'm not a programmer btw
i tried ublock element picker but it only lets me remove 1 pic at a time

Forgot to mention that I rather downgrade again then have to deal with the heat.
My room is already fucking warm.

I have over 25000 jpges i need to sort.They are all under the similar naming pattern of
NAME-NAME2-ID-00-000.jpg
How can i create folders based off the name and then move the jpgs to the folder?
"NAME-NAME2-ID-00" will always be the same set while the "000" is 001-XXX
Example
A-B-C-01 would be the folder name and all files matching this string would me moved in to that folder,the 000 being 001 to the highest number set in that string

remove as in save? or hide?
Sup Forums X has a work time mode that hides images automatically or something like that. I've never tried it

>browser
>options
>disable images