Rocket Fuel?

Quick question:

So, Elon Musk has been building these rockets that can land themself right? So, it looks like it shoots fire out of the bottom to slow its decent, probably controlled explosions? (Like a car!)

But he also wants to turn everything into batteries. Once everything is solar, how is he going to create the explosion energy without rocket fuel?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XHPevIbSCPA
youtube.com/watch?v=GrP3jHuLQ9o
youtu.be/ST76lGJ0UWA?t=740
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fucks sake user, 2/10 because you made me reply.

...pardon my ignorance...is this really that stupid of a question? I know I'm not up on all my jargon

You're retarded

sorry I came over here from /k/, Im not a technical person

He's not making solar planes, let alone solar rockets

Most of his stuff is to generate hype

Spacex is pretty much his only profitable venture, and his rockets use liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen in a continuous flame

Rockets burn fuel and eject the exhaust. Ejecting that exhaust is what provides thrust. The thrust is downward, which pushes the rocket upward. That both allows it to take off (push upward for a long time and accelerate really fast) and slow down when landing (push upward when moving downward to slow your downward motion).

You don't do that with batteries. Rockets will continue to require fuel to burn, but cars and lots of other stuff can be switched over to electric.

By melting steel beams.

>he wants to turn everything into batteries
citation please.

theres no way science can create lift force without burning harmful chemicals?

>harmful chemicals
lmao

>hydrogen and oxygen
>harmful chemicals
citation please

you can literally drown in hydrogen and oxygen

H2 + 02 = 2H20

Since when was water harmful?

not currently for the amount of force you need to leave earth, also
>harmful chemicals
lmao

Falcon 9 uses the Merlin1D rocket engine which uses Liquid Oxygen (LOX) and Rocket propellant-1 (RP1) which is essentially very high grade kerosene.

coal and fossils fuels for rocket fuel is bad

whycome the rocket engine doesn't explode

Same reason your car doesn't explode when you turn it on.

that's sulfuric acid you retard

lmao

Well.. technically speaking you can create an electro-magnetic repulsor with enough strength to push away from Earth's magnetic field.

However, our current electro-magnetic systems overheat quickly and will melt before you get enough power through it to lift a usable payload.
Hell, they melt just lifting themselves, never mind the power source and payload.

Room temperature super conductors will be so useful once discovered.

are you fucking serious? That's what's holding us back from infinite rocket energy? Jesus christ if nvidia can cool their graphics cards we can cool an electro-magnetic repulsor.

Actually they're Kerosene and Tesla is valued at over $25B, but correct, he is not making solar powered rockets.

these are fun to make

youtube.com/watch?v=XHPevIbSCPA

>kerosene
kill yourself, RP-1. calling RP-1 kerosene is like calling jet fuel "high grade gasoline"

well if you'll let us truck up nuclear bombs, we can get a lot more efficiency at the cost of possibly irradiating 60% of the people on earth and destroying most satellites in earth orbit.

We know how to cool normal electromagnets, just look at the CERN labs like the LHC.
Liquid Helium Cooling.

However, all that shit is heavy as hell and eats electricity like the morbidly obese eat food.

We need Room Temperature Super-conductors, which basically means that no matter how much juice you push through them, they won't heat up thanks to near zero electron friction (resistance / ohms).

We don't have that, so everything that we push electrons through gets hot.

A RTSC is one of those scientific holy grails, like gravitational manipulation, a discovery so great that it would advance Humanity more in one year than the last 100 combined.

>RTSC
Neat. What sort of impact would an RTSC have on our society?

literally everything that is electric and creates heat could be made more efficient for one. you could boost the electric grid by 20% or so just by replacing the lines.

Don't worry, probably
Doesn't know shit apart from using a fuking phone. It's actually a good question.
I think that the boring stuff and the tesla cars can make profit too.

A repulsor belt that would slow you down from terminal and fatal falls.

Yes, RTSC, as I don't want to type out Room Temperature Super Conductors every time I'm describing them.

>Intel CPU's could be over clocked without burning your house down.

Among other more important things of course.

>camera always cuts out at landing
fake and gay

>LHC
>Large Hadron Collider
>Liquid Helium Cooling

Huh, Neat.

>Tesla is valued at $25B
And how much of that is government subsidy?

>Once everything is solar

you mean never, solar is a meme

This, nuclear is king

solar panels in orbit using microwaves to beam power down

this is the best solution besides nuclear

Solar is perfect for making hydrogen aka rocket fuel

I'd argue hydro is better since you don't have to deal with nuclear waste. I'm pretty sure both need a river / body of water (since you have to cool the nuclear reactor)

yea 10k USD price per kW

>using microwaves to beam power down
>itt whoole crew gets cancer

You can use solar power to capture carbon and oxygen and such and turn it into fuel. It's inefficient but carbon neutral

>microwaves
>cancer

I guess drinking hot water also gives you cancer?

Way better than that

The satellite can supply remote locations and other countries as it passes by, and it gets far better solar flux in orbit and for longer periods of time, than anything on the ground, while also beaming power as microwaves that cut right through the atmosphere where sunlight wouldn't.

Your solarsat isn't just supplying florida with power, it's supplying florida, puerto rico, venezuela, mexico, guatemala, senegal, yemen, saudi arabia, south korea, phillipines, etc. etc.

He's going to light the batteries on fire

>microwaving your water

americans, when will they learn

are you retarded? How does much the solar array cost? Can it even power a small town for the 500BN or more it cost to build?
And microwaves? Are u serious

Real life isn't SimCity 2000.

if the water was heated from microwaves then yes. From the tap, no.
this lmao

why don't we just surround the earth with a 'Solar Ring' and beam power down everywhere?

You spread the cost around by supplying power to different countries 24/7

You aren't limited to a single location with 1 million people or whatever, you can pick and choose between tons of different places to supply electricity at different periods and better time of day in your satellites orbit

nevermind the emergency power potential

Earthquake hits san diego? Just beam energy to receivers on the ground to supply electricity anywhere without the need for infrastructure

I'm thinking something like a natural planet ring like Mercury but instead of made of mercury from nature its made out of solar panels.

Sounds stupid because its probably expensive in the short term but its basically infinite free energy... should be a priority

It's called a dyson sphere ok

>dyson
YES

what's the theoretical power output of ur shitty array?
How are u gonna "supply" electricty to specific places on the ground, does the motherfucker instantaneously travel the stratosphere till it's in reach, otuside of geosynchronous orbit

You're thinking of H2SO4

>be visiting sandiegoan faggot cousin
>quake demolishes power lines
>local substation be dead
>don't worry, rescue whale^H^H^H^H^Hpower is here
>satellite beams down terawatt upon terawatt of microwaves
>fucking dust storm defocuses beam
>whole cali gets glassed

Actually a bit of a win-win scenario over there

what is this autism your describing?

Holy shit... You gotta be fucking 18 to be here.
But let me fucking enlighten you shitheads.
{{{2}}} H2 + O2 = 2 H2O, which is dihydrogen oxide, a.k.a. water.
Not 1 H2, not H2SO4, there's no fucking sulfur for it to become fucking SULFURic acid.

you know how the stars twinkle at night? that's because of the atmosphere acting like a type of second ocean and diffracting the light from the stars. that will not go well when you're dealing with terawatts of energy.

They either wouldn't let you, locking down the max frequency in order to get you to buy their higher end products instead of going for the lowest one with n threads and overclocking it until it bruteforce outperforms their best offer for that same number of threads, or they would sell only one model for each range of n cores and x cache topped out to the max "safe" frequency instead of giving you the choice for intermediate prices.

If the microwaves would be strong enough to transmit usable amounts of power (where talking mW ranges) it would be humungously more than enough to fry everything below it.
Also, ground stations would receive power for minutes and then wait even more for the next orbital station to reach it, unless you had a continuous string. Each orbital station would pass over each ground station for 15-30 minutes every 365 days and 4 hours.

H20 is the main component of sulphuric acid, you pleb.

H2O is the result of throwing sulfuric acid into a hydroxide, moron. There's an S between H2 and O4 for a reason. The main component is SO4.

Well, he wasn't technically wrong. It's an aquious (guaranteed I spelled that wrong) solution so overwelmingly water. He's wrong on the main, active part though

"Brackets for emphasis"

>diffracting
Refracting. Refraction is through a medium.

Sounds like a bad idea. Sending a lot of energy would eventually fuck the orbit of the satellite.

Have you not seen the recent landings at LZ-1?

youtube.com/watch?v=GrP3jHuLQ9o
youtu.be/ST76lGJ0UWA?t=740

The problem with the barge landings is that they have to use satellite uplinks to communicate with the barge and satellite is very susceptible to physical interference or vibration.
Landings at LZ-1 have been broadcast uncut a few times now. Being a skeptic at this point is just embarrassing.

Zero

If its possible to generate thrust electrically and it's theoretically possible for there to be a RTSC, then that means spaceships with no heat signature are actually possible?

you came from /k/?

Fucking kill yourself with that milsurp bullshit you love so much. You're an idiot and an embarrassment.

EM drive