Network Engineer here

Network Engineer here.

Just completed my first migration event where I upgraded the IOS and configuration of a client Cisco 881 to meet the unified WAN architecture specifications.

Ask me anything. Also general networking thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

subnet-calculator.com/
9tut.com/subnetting-tutorial
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How often do you contemplate suicide?

Not very. Im paid pretty well.

congrat for doing your job. meanwhile for an normal engineer. whats is your next step to get more specificate knowledge in cisco network infrastructure?

people that get paid well kill themselves too goofy

The company I work has a very large infrastructure and I don't mess with the core. I just started this year, so I would say that need to continue study their each of their data centers and customer connectivity. There's also a lot of devices I can't touch and don't have access to like firewalls, so it's challenging in that aspect.

I never denied it. Me getting paid well is incentive for me personally to not kill myself goofy.

Iam working for a university in germany as network engineer, we have too a large infrastructure and different locations. I have access to any switch, router and firewall which we are manage. It's not always that easy to handle and move free on a big infrastructure.
Tell me which experience you did until today with cisco devices and their configs, fo you need any help or tips?

>cisco
>network engineer

I also used to think that cisco was enterprise networking until I switched jobs with Juniper devices

cisco is only good for small DCs and your average (corporate) campus/office infrastructure

Sounds like you haven't used IOS XR or NX-OS
Juniper and Arista are still better though

Could you help me solve VLSM effectively?

Show me the startup-config of your device + show ver

is your boss a pajeet?

Just use an online calculator. There's plenty online.

>subnet-calculator.com/

Or read this :

>9tut.com/subnetting-tutorial

I haven't been able to touch NX-OS yet (we are about to receive a Nexus 7k to play with), but I have had experience with IOS XR.

The problem with the ASR series still stands when it comes to large carrier network and DCs - management / orchestration (buzzword alert!) on the scale of 100s-1000s of devices. Cisco didn't have proper, mature solution for that the last time I used a ASR9k.

I have to admit, I am not really up to date what they are up to currently, all I know is that the last good _IOS_ device was the 6500-E and there is still no spiritual successor for it.

>upgraded the IOS and configuration of a client Cisco 881
Wow, its nothing. You should feel bad that you're proud of acomplishing such a mediocre task on such low end hardware.

I never said anything like that regarding Cisco. I said a client of ours had one and I cut it over. Obviously we have Juniper devices in our infrastructure. Not at the clients though.

Lmao no. Hes actually a old white guy who retired from the Army

Its not the fact that I upgraded a cisco 881 (it's a prod router used by an actual credit union lol) but really that I did it while being hovered over by many executives from my work

>it's a prod router used by an actual credit union
who cares? its obviously a tiny as fuck credit union if they're using a 881. the thing is recommended for wan circuits of 8mbps or less.

>that I did it while being hovered over by many executives from my work
So? How the fuck does this change anything.

Whats paid well? And what city region are you in?

Are you a faggot?

I'm in Texas, but I work remotely most of the time. I'm a Jr engineer so I make about 67k/yr. I'm only 24 so it's pretty decent money for me. Plus this is the stepping stone to my career.