>full featured
>connectivity
>battery life

i am still mad

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sJdNQk5AfkE
amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=netbook
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I though Macbook Air and Ultrabooks killed them.

EEE PCs were a good start, but they were generally underpowered and fat in comparison.

>slow as fuck

oh i forgot
>SSD + hdrive

i don't think so, in terms of price
macbook air debuted at 1600$ or something like that, while a 901 was 200$, and included a shit ton of ports
it took a year for the other brands to come up with their own Air clones, and they are still >500$ to this day

nearly no eee pc's came with ssd. also the cpu and ram were really bad, to get that battery life

that is not true: the 901 came with a 4gb ssd and a 16gb hard-disk
it booted almost instantly, because it included fastboot or whatever they called it then
that shit was crazy new back then

Last best one was the 1015PN
>dual core 1.66ghz
>2gb ddr3
>2.5" HDD or SSD
>switchable gfx with Nvidia ION2 DX10.1

>tfw they'll never make one the size of the ZG5 with similar specs

So what is the best "mini" laptop setup now?

Microsoft edge with some dumb keyboard pad?

the linux edition, in contrast, came with 20gigs of hybrid storage, while the windows version was a 12gigs SSD

i blame smartphones because at that time was when suddenly everyone went full retard, and started destroying their work:
>windows 8
>unity
>gnome shell
everyone fell for the mobile meme, fucking up the desktop environment on every platform for years

I had an Eee PC 900. I wish someone would release a laptop in a similar form factor, except replace the keyboard with a mechanical 60% with a trackpoint on it.

chromebooks dumbass

also, it was blazingly fast despite the low-sounding specs. it has a really cool ssd in it

I ran ubuntu on it back then and I've used newer computers since then that have been slower. I really don't remember performance issues on the thing, which is kind of odd. Where did everything go wrong?

oh yeah, the botnetbook
nice one, fag

Chromebooks combine the shitty ergonomics of ultrabooks (muh flat and thin) with the cheapness of netbooks. They are kind of awful for the most part. I will say, they often have very good screens at least. A friend of mine has a Samsung Chromebook Plus that he boots Arch on from an SD card he leaves in it. The screen is beautiful and extremely high resolution for its size. Text is very tiny. It makes me want a similar screen, but I couldn't handle all the other shortcomings.

peep my home server for the last.... 5 years maybe?

My friend was using his EeePC as a home server as well.

>no battery in case of power outage or the cable getting knocked out
you mad man

>mfw people romanticize the 9xx series

Did you already forget cripplingly slow SSDs with only 4GB for the system, awful keyboards, and battery life only being good with the fatass 5Ah battery?

i have it for steamcard farming, torrent, and other scrapper scripts
I use rtcwake so that it poweroffs when it finishes, and comes back the next day
and best of all, it support total poweroff and wakeup (not the low power consumption), so that when rtcwake powers it off, it is literally off

>captcha just asked me about cargo pants

>came with a slow 4gb soldered "ssd" and another even slower (but at least replaceable) 16gb "ssd"

Fixed.

Only 900HA had a regular 2.5" hard drive, but it was fatter and had worse battery life.

>4GB for the system
LVM

>slow 4gb soldered "ssd" and another even slower
slow compared to what? this shit boots faster than my phone
pls remember the time this was released

i agree
the problem is the battery stays at 100% all the time, and i don't want to destroy it (it still works to this very day)
maybe i could use a script to that it does not charge over 80% or something like that
thank you for the idea

>slow compared to what?

To a real SSD. Back then I nigger-rigged some eSATA SSD (which wasn't a speed demon either) into mine and the difference was substantial.
Asus also released some versions without the 4GB soldered drive, only with the faux-mSATA one. These were just painful because the controller on that one was prone to stalling the system entirely when you tried to write something substantial to it.

i understand
the thing is, this shit was cheap as fuck. not the best by any means, but the bang for the buck is pretty much amazing

i can nitpick the touchpad buttons (one of them is already kill in mine)
and ofc the thing is pretty heavy
i remember i put on 2gb of RAM, something i can't do to my current Thinkpad
sad

>the bang for the buck is pretty much amazing
Well that's true, especially if you compare it to something like Vaio TZ, which was often slower in use (due to its 1.8" HDD) but cost like 8 times more.

>2gb of RAM
900 had a fucked up memory clock (DDR2-200 was wildly out of spec), so some modules refused to work and some caused it to crash when switching between AC and battery power.

901 could take 2GB (and maybe even 4GB) just fine and run Win7.

There are still lighter, smaller 11.6" netbooks being made.

How is the HDD doing?
I've used an old HP notebook as a server for a year and when I tested my HDD later it literally had only a handful of areas that were not fucked up.

>the smartphones killed a whole gen of amazing laptops
>I though Macbook Air and Ultrabooks killed them.

It's both.
People who just wanted to watch youtube and shitpost on the go bought tablets and smartphones because netbooks were clunky and rarely had cellular connectivity.
People who wanted small but full-featured computers bought ultrabooks because super low price wasn't so important and netbooks were slow.

>macbook air debuted at 1600$ or something like that
Yeah, and if you wanted something usable, you had to pay $2000 for the version with a SSD. But few people remember the first Air, since the series only got popular from 2nd gen onwards, when Apple fixed most of the hardware annoyances and dropped the base price to $1K.

Uhm no, the 1201n was a tick faster. B'cos of pipeline limitations imposed on the ION2 by Intel.

And theres a modified BIOS which boosts the clock to 2gHz.

Best netbook ever - sadly my 1201n just died on me last week.

i had a netbook, sold it because it had some weird unsupported-by-linux hardware 2d acceleration and a very slow non standard hard drive I couldn't replace with any ssd I had lying around.. pretty nice form factor though

1000h was best
>10" screen
>160gb HDD
>100% hackintosh compatible

They were shit. I still have an Acer 532 and it was slow as shit even when it was new. Even with the 2GB RAM upgrade it didn't reall help.

They were just too underpowered. I'd like to see them come back with newer tech but I also really like my tablet which was ultimately a better replacement.

I still use it as a torrent box though that I can connect to remotely and manage.

I had a 1215n and it was pretty great

I dug out a 6 year 1215B out of my closet recently. I bought it a few years back to take with me on a few vacations to which it served its purpose. Dunno what the fuck happened but it's so cripplingly slow now. Might just turn it into a chromebook because eh

tfw my mother still uses one in 2K17

netbooks were cool back then also
I still have a dell mini 10v running android x86 fast af. Try to run android x86/or remix os on eeePCs you will be surprised...

are you talking about this?
youtube.com/watch?v=sJdNQk5AfkE

No, I took the eSATA SSD out of its casing and connected it to SATA pins (in that expansion slot that looks like mPCIe but isn't) with soldered wires.
My case looked slightly different than the one in the video though.

that is an interesting question
i installed ubuntu minimal on an LVM partition taking up the whole 2 drives, and forgot about it since
so it is just the installation, and my tools/scripts (the drives are mostly empty) so i don't know if they are in good shape, although the thing keeps working day after day

Surface 3 here, it makes an amazing netbook and I can draw on it too, with an added bonus of microUSB charging so I can more than double the 10 hour battery with a Powerbank.
I always wanted an eeePC T91 back in the day, unfortunately that one only had a resistive touchscreen.

If I didn't draw, I would've got the Asus Transformer.

that screenshot triggers me to no end
i can't believe how Microsoft literally trashed the internet explorer touch interface (that was pretty good) in favor of launching Edge
why are they not using that interface for Edge, on tablet mode?! who knows
maybe they have lost the code; i would not surprise me at all

If you're using GNU/Linux, you can set charging thresholds on tlp.

the fuck
thank you so much, mate

Yeah, edge is pretty retarded. In tablet mode it's so fucking easy to go back or forward a page when you just want to scroll.

If I would like to replace phone with it right now, what should I buy?

>would like to replace phone with it

Dude what
Netbooks cannot make calls, you know. And almost none of them have mobile data connectivity.

you have plenty of options
amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=netbook
although i recommend avoiding chromebooks, but that is my preference because i am 101% antigoogle
the HP Stream is fairly popular for tubes and checking email

EEeeeee so slow pc.

I had a one that came with a SATA drive that I swapped in an SSD and maxed the RAM (2GB)

it was a bad ass little machine

Yeah I'm pretty mad about how they trashed reading mode from IE in Windows 8.
They even designed an entire set of fonts for it (Sitka).
Microsoft listened to backlash from dumb ``powerusers'' too much after Windows 8.

im still waiting for a decent fullscreen mode for Edge
shift win enter is a joke to perform on tablet mode

>mfw posting from an 1000HD eee pc
who /poor/ here

more like /smart/, lad
there are people here posting from 3k Facebook machines

they were not slow if you ran linux

they were pretty nifty in their day - I still have and use my eeepc 1000

dated and slow nowadays, but still useable depending what you're doing

I suppose current equivalent would be teh chromebooks (c720 springs to mind)

>not posting from an old thinkpad