/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/i9 - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA/miners buying all RX570s)
>1070 - if on heavy sale-ish
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity/scratch disk/VMs
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board + case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

community.spiceworks.com/how_to/125921-how-to-add-drivers-manually-to-a-usb-drive-to-install-windows-7-using-a-usb-3-0-port
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/QsHCnn
amazon.com/StarTech-2-5in-Adapter-Converter-SAT32M225/dp/B00ITJ7U20
tripplite.com/products/load-calculator?type=ups&popup=0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-STX
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply#Technologies
bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2016/11/28/gigabyte-gtx-1060-windforce-oc-3gb/1
youtube.com/watch?v=U352rKE_9n0
youtube.com/watch?v=sx0LUq1mjVo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

FIRST FOR KIKES

Are there any B350 boards that support 3 AMD GPUs (or 4 for that matter?)

I want the lower chipset power usage compared to X370.

Need some advice senpai.

I know that I need special drivers if I want to install windows 7 via USB when using a new mobo that doesn't have USB 2.0 ports. But what about DVD? Do I need special drivers or some shit like that or can I just throw it in there and start the installation?

Locked mobo or not?

Do you mean in crossfire or just being able to have 3 GPU in there?

The problem isn't because it's an USB drive, the problem is that W7's USB drivers are shit with new motherboards. Installing through a windows CD won't fix that.

Thanks Based Jim Keller !

For mining. But without using risers so actual x16 slots.

Idk what locked mobo means. I bought the asrock b350m pro4.

So if I install it via DVD the USB ports won't work? I have to look into that a bit more.

Some of the newer CPU can't install W7.

The gigabyte Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING 3 has 3x PCIe x16 (though the space between the second and third slot isn't very big), can't see any other that has 3x PCIe x16 so far.

RX 550-4G vs ASUS GTX 1050 Phoenix vs GIGABYTE GTX 1050 OC

what is the difference other than 4GB? For gaming purpose, which is better and they are all the same price

Any CPU can install W7. Ryzen, Kaby Lake & anything newer than those can't update it though, unless you download the workaround for it.

>So if I install it via DVD the USB ports won't work?
Most likely yeah. Regardless of the way you install, they won't work unless you do this
community.spiceworks.com/how_to/125921-how-to-add-drivers-manually-to-a-usb-drive-to-install-windows-7-using-a-usb-3-0-port

Get the one with more VRAM
The 1050 is better than 550. Get the TI version if possible.

GTX 1050 will perform better than even the 560.
The 550 has more ram but is much weaker so it doesn't make use of it for gaming.
The ASUS one doesn't have a PCIe power connector so it has lower clock than the Gigabyte and can't be overclocked much if any.

thanks

Yeah. Fuck these layouts. Makes no sense.
I keep seeing ones that have 2 spaces between the first and second but only 1 on the last one.

Stop cherry picking single games, faggot.

now that's fucking mean, user!
it's not cherry picked, i just searched for RX 560 benchmarks to get this picture as no one is bothering reviewing it at all, and found a gamer nexus video / article about it

I want the tiniest computer I can get and this is what I want from it:

>an x86_64 CPU (an AMD APU)
>one PCI slot so I can fit in a dedicated soundcard

What kind of form factor can I go for? Is there something smaller than microATX suitable for this?

mITX exists

Thanks, just looked it up.
All of those have one PCIe x16 slot. Can I fit a PCIe x1 card into that? Wikipedia suggest I can. Is that true?

Yes, you can fit anything PCIe in a x16.

best budget ryzen mobo?

is it still the ASRock whatever Pro4?

use a DAC instead of a sound card. Sound cards are garbo and hardly any better than decent on board motherboard sound that's a separate PCB.

Yeah, I'd say that's the best

Where do I get Thermal Paste (compound) ?

>Thanks Based Jim Keller !

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/QsHCnn

Rate my build. Also I'm unsure as to whether i should buy the micro or normal sized motherboard.

Where's the solit between midrange and high end graphics these days?

Hey guys! I think I slightly fucked up with the new 960 EVO NVMe ssd that I recieved in the mail today. I got the maximus VII FORMULA motherboard and I think my new ssd might not fit on this motherboard. I did some Googling and wasn't able to find any info, but I can't see a slot. Could anyone help an idiot out? I thought that my motherboard was fairly modern....

msi b350m pro-vdh

Cryorig H5 Universal or bequiet Pure Rock?

Both are currently around the same price near me due to sales, the H5 Ultimate is still at a higher price and out of my budget.

Hmmm...
>i7 4790, not 4770

>1050Ti for low budget

Nice

shitty GPU and non-k, but not an awful deal really.
Decent PC if you give it faster dual channel memory and upgrade the GPU.

Can't you actually sometimes overclock non-k CPUs of that generation? Though maybe not with the motherboard it'll have.

If you're wondering then most likely you don't need full atx
It's in case you want another PCIe device or such
Ditch that WD Blue, it's 5400 rpm. Get a Toshiba, Hitachi or Seagate 2TB instead.
You don't need 650w 80+ gold for this either, you can settle for 550w 80+ bronze fine
I know australian dollaroos are fucked but isn't $175 still REALLY expensive for 2666MHz ram?

top left

I wouldn't OC since I'd use it for an encoding machine and I value silence over a few percent more speed. I'd probably sell the GPU and just leave onboard since I'd run it headless anyway.

you're gonna need someting like this:

amazon.com/StarTech-2-5in-Adapter-Converter-SAT32M225/dp/B00ITJ7U20

Ignore me, This guy just solved your problem.

What kind of neon lighting do you guys recommend ?

Looking to do my first build this weekend. Been reading a lot of guides to get acquainted, which is recommended?
Hopefully one as detailed as possible.

Thank you! That's a horrible place to place the slot. I need to take off the fan plugged to my cpu.

It's me again. I removed my cpu fan now but I can't see no slot. Do I need to remove the protection cover?

not really sure how this board works since i don't have it at hand

Yes I'm there in the process now. But it actually don't fit just like in your picture. There seem to be lacking info about this.

Quick question, DDR4 RAM for Ryzen 1600, 2800MHz vs 3000MHz? The 2800MHz is 10 bucks cheaper for 16gb and has gaymen leds.

Also, Asus vs Gigabyte motherboard?
(getting a Gigabyte GPU)

I pick it up at 4:30.
That GTX 745 is a little more powerful than I was thinking. 5850 tier, when I was thinking it might be around 5770. Certainly a long way from great, but also pretty far from being a graphics decelerator compared to onboard.

Looking for a UPS
No idea what to look for in these, never had one before

How much power you need.
How long you can last without power.
What fancy features you need (you don't)
Brand and warranty.

(From what I've heard here)
Ryzen's make use of higher RAM, so go with the higher one.
Gigabyte boards are not favored.
Double check that your RAM is compatible with your mobo when you choose.

I have a 750W power supply, I would only have it to turn it off myself instead of an outage.
what kind of fancy features are there?

tripplite.com/products/load-calculator?type=ups&popup=0

Google around for UPS reviews

This only has prebuilt computers listed.
Is it just a 1:1 ratio of the draw?

mITX with the Lian Li Q07 or the chieftech bt02 which even has an integrated psu. Good luck getting a mITX AM4 board though.

how do I check if it's compatible?

pls rate my build for Unreal development before I pull the trigger

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-STX

A UPS is for you to safely turn off your PC. Just assume 1:1 since the period of time is short.

PSU wattage doesn't tell you how much your computer actually uses, just the most the PSU could support. Your PC under full load isn't going to be using more than 400W unless you have a hefty overclock and SLI.
If this isn't a gaming computer you won't even be drawing 200W.

You can do it yourself by checking the specs of your build or let PC parts picker do it for you.

>what kind of fancy features are there?
The major ones:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply#Technologies
If you don't get brownouts much, offline is fine.

Is ryzen a meme or should I commit? I use my pc for gaming 144hz thx 1080 and my MOBO/CPU is fucked so I need an upgrade and I'm on the fence between a 1700 or a 7700k

7700k hits high framerate much more reliably than any other CPU, Ryzen included, because it's at 4.2 - 4.5GHz
You might get very close framerate with high frequency memory & 4GHz overclock on Ryzen though, but that's only worth if you do make use of the extra cores

How soon do you plan on upgrading?
if very far pick intel
if somewhat soon += 6 years Ryzen
AM4 will last until about 2020 and 1151 is almost dead
Pretty sure 1700 is cheaper too, and comes with a good fan

If you need your AT MOST 15 more frames buy intel.

I bought a Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ 8gb on a whim when I saw it for 240ish €...

I don't even have the PC to go with it, been on a laptop for years.

So, question is:
Buy rest of PC for about 620€ and game/mine or just flip it for however much I can?

How much can I expect to sell it for?
How much can you actually mine with it (dollars/month I'm not too much into mining yet)?

I've read that, the only issue or scare I have with the 7700k is apparently it runs really hot? I'm not sure if that was an initial launch thing tho

Just one? Nothing, don't bother mining.

You can probably sell it for 300 easy

It's not an initial launch thing, it's still there and in every CPU, unless you delid.

Yea just one, I put it into the basket while browsing their site and then the price rose by 100€. But not in the basket, so I just ordered it like that

It would honestly be as soon as today, my computer isn't working and because I use it for work I need to basically fix asap. Most of my parts are from 2011-12 other than my gpu so it was getting close to upgrade time. I live near a frys where I'd buy the parts.

My only real concern would be the ryzen CPU not hitting 144 fps on games but I truly don't know the ins and outs of this stuff.

No I mean upgrade after this interation
if you went intel you would have to buy a new motherboard
amd you have a choice to

How do I know what memory chips does my RAM use?

what do you mean by this?
As in samsung vs Hynix?

Yes

>went online to see where I can buy some coral sleeved cables
>found darkside that makes some, which are sold in my country.
>I only need two 8pins and 1x 24pins
>theres only one 8pins cable left

I cant find anywhere that sells coral sleeved cables. Should I just make my own? Is that hard to do?

So I have a Ryzen 5 1600, and I purchased a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO to go along with it knowing the AM4 bracket was free on their webstore, turns out they want to charge me $7 for shipping, when I know it could fit in a padded envelope and cost less than a dollar to ship. Any ideas on how to get guilt coolermaster into sending me a bracket for free?

They obviously wont.
That's what you get for buying a cooler that isn't much better than the stock one in the first plaec.

Is it true that you can buy AMD workstation GPUs direct from AMD for cheaper...?

>I purchased a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO to go along with it
You fucked up. That 212 Evo is not an upgrade over the stock cooler.
Yes it can cool better, but only at the expense of being loud as fuck. At the same noise levels, they cool the same, and the stock fan just doesn't spin up as high.
So now you spent $32 on a cooler that's not better than the stock one when you could have spent $34 for a Cryorig H7 that's an actual upgrade and they send brackets for free.

>hurr durr, you bought a shitty cooler
>its loud as fuck
Well what do you suggest I get instead besides the Cryorig H7?

Stock cooler is GOOD

now that you have it you might as well use it, and pay the bracket in the process.
but it was a poor decision.

except its not keeping my CPU below 45*C on fucking IDLE

I probably know more about HW stuff than you
but will ask anyway

buying gigabyte gtx1060 6GB windforce
seems OKish, or do you know something more about it?
bit-tech got review with heatsink down and evething,
its not techpowerup data, bust still something
see the cooling, VRM, passive heatsink,...
bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2016/11/28/gigabyte-gtx-1060-windforce-oc-3gb/1

>long story
thunderstorm killed old MSI frozr gtx 560ti
yes really, tested in 2 PCs
it also killed dsl moden and NIC on another PC
choosing new gpu
gtx 1060 6GB cuz power consumption matters in this case
the pc will be running games of some sort constantly
I chose MSI armor since same board as gaming X just bit worse cooling
but shop wrote me that their supplier got it no more
and all GPUs jumped in price or are out of stock
now instead of taking ARMOR for 265€, I am taking windforce for 287€
gaming X went from 290€ to 317€
does not seem worthy of extra 30€ at this point

so here I am ordering the windforce
its not for my rigg btw, but that does not matter much
any info, opinion you got on this decision?

I have hyper 212+
check local shops, they might have it for ridiculously low prices
I bought my AM4 bracket for 6 cents plus shipping which was only 3.50€

anyway, the thing is, they have two variants
this one I got, and it allows the heatsink to be position only in the "wrong way"
fan blowing up or down
youtube.com/watch?v=U352rKE_9n0

you want this one, that allows to be blowing to the back of the case, or maybe, I want that one sure
youtube.com/watch?v=sx0LUq1mjVo

anyway, who the fuck gives a fuck about few $, how poor are you?
I dont want to be wasteful too, but making your good heatsink last you for another generations of mobos... I have no problem with that

Dude just return the 212 Evo, and use the stock cooler, and see how far you can get with the stock cooler. It's usually good for like 1.275-1.325V.

If you aren't happy with the speed you get on that voltage with your silicon, THEN get a better cooler.
As for which idk. Why not the H7? It's basically a better 212 Evo. Cools slightly better at far less noise.
Idk look for 140W TDP+ coolers that have AM4 mounts.

>except its not keeping my CPU below 45*C on fucking IDLE
change your fan curves.
45C idle isn't bad if it's near a minimal speed.
What is it when you run Aida64 stress test? As long as it's under 70C it's fine. Really 80C is fine, but I'd rather keep under 70.

You know the 1060 is roughly 7-10 times more powerful than that 560ti? Might be overkill for you if you were fine with a GPU as garbage as the 560Ti.
Might just want to get a 1030, RX560, or 1050Ti.

>Might be overkill
I thought it might be, but games like skyrim and subnautica and latest civilizations are played constantly
though low requirements are there too
if new great looking survival game comes out it will be played likely
and money are not really problem when buying in this huge yearly gaps

the card I would prefer the most is founders edition
as the case is relatively small, and build quality of that thing is great while its not as loud as plastic reference design
but its non existant in shops and would likely be extra 100€

what did msi mean by this?

the quality of posts is very important to this channel. stop shitposting.

So i got a 7790, i think it's time to change.
People suggested me rx 5xx series.
I got about 100-140eurolinos.

Wouldn't it be better to get an older GPU? Like the 4xx series?

4xx is same as 5xx but with lower clocks
you're not gonna get anything good with that much money

I know, but i don't really care about graphics(is the gameplay that counts), i just need it to be able to run newer games.
What about the 3xx series?

Skyrim? That game is like 30 years old.
Civ, yeah okay maybe, but if your GPU was that old and cheap and shit I imagine your CPU is shit too and is going to be bottlenecking that 1060 hard in Civ.

140 euro isn't much money. Can you even get a 1050Ti or RX560 for that? Are RX570s even in stock?

If you can find an RX560 in stock for 140 euros, buy it immediately.
It'll make 60 euros per month mining Ethereum and pay for itself in 2 and a half months. Then you have a free GPU.

That only works in 3d world country, cause electricity is super cheap.
But yes, i've found it for even less, new.

Stay poor, retard.

entirely depends on the price

Can you give some clarifications?

1050ti or rx 560 for that price imo.