Are eGPUs finally gonna take off now that Apple added native eGPU support in macOS High Sierra?

Are eGPUs finally gonna take off now that Apple added native eGPU support in macOS High Sierra?

youtube.com/watch?v=NlN7XCwDKnw

Other urls found in this thread:

apple.com/leadership/
news.microsoft.com/leadership/
google.com/intl/en/about/
hongkongfp.com/2017/06/08/china-uncovers-massive-underground-network-apple-employees-selling-customers-personal-data/
beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq
www3.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/c/LAPTOPS?menu-id=Laptops#tab-content-THINKPAD
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes. Every laptop manufacturer is going to copy them.

it pains me to see a graphics card being raped by an OS as shitty as macOS

it's literally the best OS tho

... for browsing

for literally everything but children's games
surely you don't base your opinion of an OS on whether it plays video games, right?

no, not at all
I base my opinion on whether it's able to boot up without crashing.
I base it on whether it's able to launch a file manager within 15 minutes
I base it on whether it lets me log in
I base it on whether I have to remember a hundred million arbitrary shortcuts in order to do basic stuff other OSs need a single click for
I base it on whether I can easily work with multiple windows without having to connect 5 additional displays
I base it on design decisions that don't make sense when thought to the end

It has a nice terminal, I'll give it that
But linux has that too
Fuck off gaylord

>be a retard who doesn't know how to use a computer
>it's the OS's fault
ok

funny how most of these problems happend to my macfag friend

literally never had any of those problems

>no CAD/CAE software support
Yea, sure, "literally everything but children's games".

>inb4 shitty alternatives to mainstream software solutions used by nobody

and you do what else?

macOS
>I base my opinion on whether it's able to boot up without crashing.
check
>I base it on whether it's able to launch a file manager within 15 minutes
check
>I base it on whether it lets me log in
check
>I base it on whether I have to remember a hundred million arbitrary shortcuts in order to do basic stuff other OSs need a single click for
well, they aren't arbitrary, they usually are relevant to the thing you want to do (example: clikc on the close button with shift, which is also known for selecting more than one thing, closes all windows of the application)
>I base it on whether I can easily work with multiple windows without having to connect 5 additional displays
although there is quick snapping for more than two windows, it's gotten better
>I base it on design decisions that don't make sense when thought to the end
so, you're saying you want your os' design decisions to not make sense? well, i cant give macOS a check for that, because it usually is pretty solid.

*although there isn't quick snapping for more than two windows, it's gotten better

osx is held back drastically by shitty hardware, although you can hackintosh but at that point just use linux

It lacks most industry standard applications though

>make egpu for fagbook
>forced to use external monitor to reap benefit from egpu because applel street shitter engineers cant get it to send data back to the fagbook screen

>usually pretty solid
If you right click the desktop and then click an entry that should open an additional menu, it all closes.

Are you joking or are you so autistic that you can't hover over them?

> forced to use external monitor so that way the thunderbolt link can be used fully for data instead of sending display information

Literally no other eGPU dock has this problem, mactoddlers are literally cucked as always, paying more for inferior toddler toys. LMAO@URLYFE

Applel is a fucking joke.

It doesn't close for me when I click on a submenu (an entry with ▶).

Jayztwocents did a test and demonstrated that you get lower performance in the internal display

>all other eGPUs can accelerate internal or external displays

>macshit egpu can only accelerate external

>B-B-B-BUT EXTERNUL IZ FASTER Y WUD NE1 EVEN NEED INTERNAL

>t. mactoddler

How pleb do you have to be to invest into eGPU dock + desktop GPU to play games on shitty 13"/15" laptop display?

>buy mbp 13" retina display™
>buy eGPU
>play eroge
Seems about right.

Exactly as pleb as you need to be to buy an egpu for your MacBook in the first place

>Using a "gaming" laptop
>Dragging a briefcase of electronics that will be obsolete within 2 years

People with good network connections don't have to worry about egpu problems

It's not the "egpu" part that's retarded but the "MacBook" part. I'm sure you can retread my post with this new contextual information

lol

LOL MAC IS SO GREAT WHY WOULD YOU BUY A PC

>loads bootcamp to do homework

>0.8GHz dual-core processors for vidya
Maybe at 720p low settings with constant frame stuttering and dips.

>butthurt about a decent laptop
Apple laptops have some of the best, most reliable hardware available.
For as long as I've known, the only argument against fagbooks was "muh games" and "muh VR"
Now that they're fixing that, you're just angry.
Are you mad because you're too poor to buy one? Or is it the GNU autism?

I think the Yoga laptops and Thinkpads are really gay. When I see a thread about them, you know what happens? I don't click on it and shit up the thread.
You do.
You hate Macs? Good. Leave those who do alone.

Any graphics card
>Virtually no games on the OS
>OS bottlenecks games
>Portable CPU bottleneck
Just get a fucking PC

Costs more than $1000
>decent
For 1000+ it should be fucking unbelievable and not just " it's good enough, just werks lol"

I'm surprised it didn't catch on earlier.
Gaming laptops are a massive pain in the ass to carry around.
Thin laptops are nice, but now you have to get a desktop computer to play any games.
This is a more portable and efficient means to handle the laptop/desktop problem.

Cof cof Razer, make this 2 years before Apple

Poo in the fucking loo Pajeet.

>what is mini-itx
You don't even have to spend that much. A $50 G400 + $100 Rx 560 is more than enough for on the go vidya.

No modern OpenGL support (stuck at 4.1)
No Vulkan support at all
Only Apple's proprietary mobile shit

Pentium G4400*

>For 1000+ it should be fucking unbelievable
If comparable laptops at $1000 "just werk", then yes.
That's not the case.
Over my life, I've been through three different laptops from different manufacturers at that price, and each one has failed because they take shortcuts with cheap chinese parts. Sure, the specs were fucking awesome, and they all had raving reviews. Use one for more than two years though, and you've got structural chassis failures at best.

>Poo in the fucking loo Pajeet.
Have you ever worked with any? Do you even have enough social interaction to know what they look like?
I unfortunately have. They all adore Androids, and buy Microsoft exclusively. The flashy, consumerist ads with bright colors and 12-year old case designs enrapture them.

For what it's worth, Apple's leadership is white than Microsoft.
apple.com/leadership/
news.microsoft.com/leadership/

Google is obviously a joke
google.com/intl/en/about/

My laptop was $1000 last year and is better than the 2016 MacBook in every single measurable aspect
I'm not here to shit up Apple idiocy, I'm here to attack the dipass saying "well of course you need another monitor, that's a MacBook feature!"

My $1000 laptop is actually fantastic
Sorry you can't shop without Apple feeding you its own shit

All that leadership for nothing since apple hires poo-in-loo engineers and sells customer data.

hongkongfp.com/2017/06/08/china-uncovers-massive-underground-network-apple-employees-selling-customers-personal-data/

My current laptop also had better specs in 2012 than comparable Macs, at a little over $1000.

Every time I come across people using those Macs, they don't have any major issues (other than wanting to buy the next flashiest thing). My screen hinge broke because they screw it in with plastic connectors, and the battery dies (actual warning lights) within a year. I've gone through three.

Has the Mac cooling system improved in the last couple of years?

apple just made hackintosh easier fucking kek

That was from last year I believe

>native support guys
>has to reboot
>it actually doesn't work
Even fucking Linux does it better. LINUX

>What is beta

>doesn't understand what developer only beta is

>Apple users

Oh and I had to replace the entire adapter because the outer layer came apart, and they didn't bother shielding the bare wires underneath.
Hey but at least the Core i7 and GPU still work amiright

topkek

>>What is beta
In applel terms? probably something you actually have to pay for lol

>video games!!!1! xD

>I can't read the FAQ
beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq
>The Apple Beta Software Program is open to anyone with a valid Apple ID who accepts the Apple Beta Software Program Agreement during the sign-up process.

>inb4 changing the goalposts bc Apple doesn't give complementary blowjobs from Cook

I suppose you just buy whatever is expensive because you have the "It costs more so it's better"
Dell, Acer and HP are shit
There are Asus that make really thin laptops if that's your thing
And apple have a fucking god awful warranty, one drop of water on the keyboard and you kiss your warranty goodbye

Why the hell else would you get an external GPU if you didn't get it for games

The three laptops were an HP, Samsung, and Asus.
HIghest end laptops available without buying a "gaming" one.

>one drop of water on the keyboard and you kiss your warranty goodbye
You're not supposed to drop water on them. It's electronics.
The warranty isn't there to cover up for you imbecility.
It's to vouch against their fuck-ups.

Hold on now with the warranty shit, what if you are outside because your laptop is portable and it starts raining
You are in a coffee shop or whatever and some cunt spills his drink on it
Just because you don't have Parkinson's doesn't mean it's alright to have a shit warranty

>Highest end laptops available without buying a "gaming" one
www3.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/c/LAPTOPS?menu-id=Laptops#tab-content-THINKPAD
Stop being a clown and look harder
It's more than 1000 not more than 10

>Apple's leadership

MACTODDLERS

PERPETUALLY

CONTINUALLY

CONSTANTLY

INCESSANTLY

EVERLASTINGLY

UNREMITTINGLY

INTERMINABLY

PERMANENTLY

ETERNALLY

BLOWN

THE

FUCK

OUT

UNTIL THE END OF TIME

>what if you are outside because your laptop is portable and it starts raining
That's not the manufacturer's fault, it's yours. They're in the business of creating computer, not weatherproof electronic devices. Use some common sense.
This is all the fault of "extended warranty' programs like Apple Care and the shit Best Buy peddles. People now think a warranty is actually universal product insurance.

>Stop being a clown and look harder
>I can't follow the thread, this was back in 2012
I also got a major discount since the store was going out of business, but that's besides the point.
When you buy a laptop that's around $800, you expect it to not have every component bolted to a plastic chassis with threading screws.

they're still total faggots, but they're the lesser of three evils

Just so you're clear, the official MSRP of the laptops were anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 times the price I purchased them for. If you product hunt well enough though or wait a year, you can get pretty sweet deals.

>buying a $2000 laptop and then buying anywhere from $200 to $600 for the GPU and then an extra $50 - $100 for a eGPU dock
>all for the grand total of up to $3000
There's no way someone can be THIS retarded, right? Right?

>i-i-i-it's just a beta goy

>I don't know what software development is
Well, you're in luck. This is just the right place for you.

>There's no way someone can be THIS retarded, right? Right?

Applefags exist user.

>apple
>software development
Yeah call me when iTunes doesn't use up %99 cpu usage just to sync.

>Cherry picking iTunes
>It's obviously shit
>We're talking about GPUs, not music players
Really made a strong argument there didn't you.

are you seriously so retarded that you think GPUs are only used for gaming faggots?

>We're talking about GPUs
No we were talking of applel software development which is fucking shit and doesn't exist. Kill yourself applefagnigger.

>No we were talking of applel software development which is fucking shit and doesn't exist
Show me an OS with comparable design.
Aren't you the type to make fun of Apple machines because "they just werk"? What happened to that?

>Kill yourself applefagnigger
lel

>MUH DESIGN
>MUH STYLE
>MUH ALUMINUM AND SQUARES
die

For real?

Should I return my 2016 macbook pro? I've been having all sorts of problem with the dongles for the past month.

oh my god you got me
you're so right, everything should look like shit because it's so RAW
how could I be so blinded by my folly?

you mad? fucking btfo

Posted from my Thinkpad

if you think you'll get more use out of an xps then why not, no rush though, used macbooks retain their value because some chucklehead always wants to buy one.

Give it a fucking rest man, not even apple wants to use their own dogshit grade software.

topkek

slow claps steps out of emacs text mode Heh... not bad, kid. Not bad at all. Your license, I mean. It's not bad. A good first attempt. It's plenty free... I can tell it's got some thought behind it... lots of legal material... But free software isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. You're skilled... that much I can tell. But do you have what it takes to be a Freetard? To join those esteemed GNU/ranks? To call yourself a member of the Free Software Foundation? Free software takes talent, that much is true. But more than that it takes heart. The world-class freetards - I mean the big guys, like Banlu Kemiyatorn and Eben Moglen - they're out there day and night, burning the midnight freedom-oil, working tirelessly to craft that next big free license. And you know what, kid? 99 times out of a hundred, that new license fails. Someone dismisses it as autistic, or says it's "not compatible," or ignores it as they copy/paste the latest shitpost BSD-clone dreamt up by those sorry excuses for cut-rate freetards over at the OSI. The Freedom Game is rough, kid, and I don't just mean the one you're rapidly losing in the face of unethical corporate practices :). It's a rough business, and for every artisan license you craft in your fully free text editor, some cocksucker at MIT has a permissive cuck license or some shit that a million different Eric No-Names will attach a milion different projects to. Chin up, kid. Don't get all mopey on me. You've got skill. You've got talent. You just need to show your drive. See you on the mailing lists...

Just attach a GPU dongle and a monitor dongle to get actual performance out of your memebook goy. LMAO

It literally does not

>It's not metal so the pc must have shit quality
>Saying thinkpads aren't built durable
>Saying it needs to be metal to be worth anything
>the.mactoddler

>Your fault because it rained
Are you stupid
Is it your fault if some cunt spills coffee on it, you completely ignored that
What about when it's not your fault or like every other human you got a bit clumsy
Apple knows damn well along with every other company that you take your laptop outside because it's portable
A warranty is there to protect against acts of God or accidental damage, you people are the reason they have a shit warranty because you say shit like "But I'm really careful though the warranty doesn't matter" your fault and your fault alone that they skimp on paying for shit
You are a grade A spastic

Isn't the internet great. It allows shitheads like yourself to say shit that would, in real life get your head cracked open.
Hopefully you'll suffer the same fate fucking cunt.
Please turn to the loaded gun in your drawer, put it in your mouth, and pull the trigger, blowing your brains out. You'll be doing the whole world a favor. Shitbag.
I would love to smash your face in until it no longer resembled anything human, faggot.
Die painfully okay? Preferably by getting crushed to death in a garbage compactor, by getting your face cut to ribbons with a pocketknife, your head cracked open with a baseball bat, your stomach sliced open and your entrails spilled out, and your eyeballs ripped out of their sockets. Fucking bitch
I would love to kick you hard in the face, breaking it. Then I'd cut your stomach open with a chainsaw, exposing your intestines. Then I'd cut your windpipe in two with a box cutter. Hopefully you'll get what's coming to you.
Fucking bitch I really hope that you get curb-stomped. It'd be hilarious to see you begging for help, and then someone stomps on the back of your head, leaving you to die in horrible, agonizing pain. Faggot
Shut the fuck up faggot, before you get your face bashed in and cut to ribbons, and your throat slit. You're dead if I ever meet you in real life, fucker. I'll fucking kill you.
I would love to fucking send your fucking useless ass to the hospital in intensive care, fighting for your worthless life.
I wish you a truly painful, bloody, gory, and agonizing death, cunt.

>No thinkpads on NASA since 1987
>Macbook is right in front of a non mac workstation
>Implying that the technical shit isnt done on PCs at all

Grow up

I read about external gpus years ago, but the performance they delivered due to latency was so low it was hardly worth buying. Now im hearing about these lightning ports i think it was? How does the current tech compare to the traditional gpu setup? As a concept this stuff looks okay if it works.

It took you this long?

>>It's not metal so the pc must have shit quality
Literally not what I said. I said when you purchase a laptop at least $800, "you expect it to not have every component bolted to a plastic chassis with threading screws".
Do you know what "threading screws" are?
They're one-way screws designed to cut into whatever material they're screwed in. Over use and time, they completely fracture the material they're screwed into.

>Is it your fault if some cunt spills coffee on it, you completely ignored that
>What about when it's not your fault or like every other human you got a bit clumsy
You sound American.
Warranty is not insurance. Stop looking for gibs at every corner.

Another thing.
>the.mactoddler
Personal insults? Do you have a weak argument? You'd rather get into a Sup Forums style jew-baiting namecalling match instead? I don't.

lol year the nasa part is bullshit, I was too lazy to crop out the idiot stallman in a rice field with a thinkpad.
Here you go. I hope I didn't encroach in your safe space.

lol the salt. Why you heff to be mad? Is only game.

windows is objectively better than macos for various reasons

If warranty isn't insurance then what's the point of getting a warranty
The way you put it you make it out like you'll never need a warranty

Daily reminder.

Why are you using a Mac from 2001?

My '16 Mac is up and running without me pressing the power button (hinge power ftw) within 30 seconds (what are SSDs)
I'm doing things for work 1.5 min top from start-up

>Windows
What are desktops?

DELET

Then why does it get so slow after a year of use?
No new software installs, only Windows upgrades.
I know I'm not crazy, this has happened to everyone I know with a Windows laptop, including myself. Almost went through the whole "well might as well upgrade because this is shit" spiel, but decided to install Linux for the hell of it.

Now, it's been running just as well as the day it was bought.

Warranty (in the US anyway) is a specific kind of insurance you could say. It applies to manufacturer defects though.
If you've ever been bored and decided to read the entire legal text of one, they tell this to your face.

Then you have literally retarded friends

Definition of warranty
I googled it for you

If apple don't give out warranties why do they say warranty