Hello Sup Forums. After going through most distributions out there I have finally come back to Ubuntu...

Hello Sup Forums. After going through most distributions out there I have finally come back to Ubuntu. Now I'm curious about other anons' distrohopping as well.

How is your distrohopping going? Has it yielded any results or are you back with the distribution you started with? What's your choice of distribution for working and getting shit done?

For me it was: Mint -> Ubuntu LTS (Unity) -> CentOS -> Fedora -> Antergos -> Arch Linux -> Debian -> OpenSUSE -> Calculate Linux -> Slackware -> Void -> Gentoo -> Solus -> Ubuntu LTS (MATE). Personal favourites were Gentoo and Debian but I have so many devices now I just set them up with Ubuntu MATE LTS for consistency.

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I runned through a lot. But now I'm about a year with fedora in my desktop.

Ubuntu MATE is broken by default, and I'm not talking about tearing. Try doing this
>open firefox
>download a file
>after it's done, open the download folder within firefox
>system stops responding
Good system :^)

My path was
Ubuntu LTS (Unity) -> Lubuntu -> Mint -> Ubuntu LTS (Mate) -> Solus
Mint and Solus are my favourites
I stucked with Solus because Budgie is fucking comfy and it just werks

Works for me? Ubuntu MATE 16.04.

I know what you're talking about though, I had the same issue on Void Linux.

Mint-debian-suse-xubuntu-manjaro-arch-manjaro.

Everything was trash besides manjaro, have been on that a year now. Just werks.

>debian
>ubuntu
>opensuse
>Fedora
Don't plan to ever leave fedora. It works fine.

install gentoo

Ubuntu -> Kubuntu -> LFS
My next daily driver will likely be built upon Ubuntu Minimal

I've been distrohopping between Ubuntu, Mint, Crunchbang (now busenlabs i think), Arch, Manjaro and Debian for like 4 years

Been running Solus for 5 months now and I don't plan on switching anymore because I feel at home.

Well, since Ubuntu and Ubuntu MATE are (kind of) different distributions, you (sort of) didn't end up where you started.

on Kubuntu for 3 years
all distros are the same shit

Lubuntu>KAOS>Manjaro>Antergos>Arch>Antergos>Kubuntu.
What now? I was thinking about Void Linux.

been a gentoo user for 8+ years
Bought new laptop (XPS-13, old Lenovo Yoga 2 died)
Gentoo wouldn't boot (3 days fucking with it)
Installed CentOS 7
Took 20 minutes, asked for KDE desktop
Gnome 3 w/KDE apps running
What a fucking abortion
Not CentOS - that's fine - but gnome?
JUST SAY NO...
(Living with it until my patience runs out...)

No. Fuck PPA's and fuck that shitty"software store" and especially fuck that old ass mesa driver.

I did
Mint>Ubuntu Unity>Debian GNOME>Arch-Anywhere with Xfce>Ubuntu GNOME>Manjaro Xfce and then GNOME>Fedora>Arch>Ubuntu(on main)>ArchBang(on shitbox)

Apparently Arch is unironically the easiest distro to use if you have yaourt. Arch-LTS would bemy choice but I like Debian/Ubuntu

>Mint -> Ubuntu LTS (Unity) -> CentOS -> Fedora -> Antergos -> Arch Linux -> Debian -> OpenSUSE -> Calculate Linux -> Slackware -> Void -> Gentoo -> Solus -> Ubuntu LTS (MATE)

Oh shite, you don't know how to spend your time, do you?
DOS -> Windows -> Mac OS X -> Ubuntu -> Gentioo -> Debian

install gentoo

I probably missed a few. All over two months.

Before that I was writing a game that's currently ~20k lines of code.

At least I don't play video games or watch TV so that's something.

Used almost everything

Now comfy af on fedora

I'm just getting back into the game. I've started with Mint MATE, but my packages seem to be broken. I can't install mint-meta-kde (want to try out a different DE) and codeblocks won't start after I install it, exits with no message.

Mint -> Arch
I also put *buntu on a variety of devices randomly as needed.
Arch is definitely the best.

I understand. Personally I didn't enjoy Arch mich. Sure it was fun at first but honestly, AUR has no quality control and the packages break and get abandoned all the time. The installation is also unnecessarily complicated while offering no real customization (besides the first installation, from which I learned a ton).

Nowadays I go Debian minimal or Ubuntu server if I want to build from "scratch" (I'm pretty sure Arch base is more bloated than Ubuntu server). OpenSUSE if I want a rolling distribution (I have to say, I prefer Arch to this one but I usually don't have the time to set Arch up).

That being said, it's just my personal opinion. Arch is great for ricers, people with one or two machines and people who really prefer up-to-date software. It just doesn't appeal to me. Everyone thinks it offers "customization and control of your system" while it truly just offers customization and control of the GUI.

1996 - 2007: Debian
2007 - 2009: Arch
2009 - 2016: Debian (Hated Arch)
2016 - current: Fedora Xfce

Not much variety, I know.

The Arch set up is so simple though, I think people had an irrational fear of the command line. If it was a nice GUI but you still had to enter the commands yourself people wouldn't find it nearly as intimidating.

Explain how to install pamac

I know but there is no reason for Arch to not have an installer. At least Gentoo offers choice of init systems, kernel etc.

There are guides/documentation available with a simple google search.

I had a terrible time in Majuro but I suspect it was because of the state KDE was in at the time. I'm thinking of going back to Manjaro. I love the AUR and how how easily I could get whatever program I wanted and have it as a package I could easily access from my any app launcher.however, I'm the kind of person who comma if something on my computer breaks, it will continue to bother me until it's fixed no matter how minor.something looking and Gerard have a relatively stable or chat system bump concerned because of their reputation from having your SSL certificate expired twice. I've read a little bit on how they cleaned up your act but I'm still unsure if I can trust them. Still very tempted, but unsure.

debian + cinnamon
obongo gnome
kde neon
mint
obongo budgie
xubongo

...and I always go back to obongo MATE.

"Distro hopping" is for imbeciles that don't understand Linux. You can install any DE, WM, whatever on any Distro. The only relevant factors are 1) you agree with the given distro's release model, and b) you agree with the distro's development and developers.
So, for example, I agree with Arch's rolling release model, but I disagree with the devs and how they fuck users over solely for their own convenience (adopting systemd not because of any benefit to the user, but only because it was a benefit to them, etc). So Void Linux is is.

Personally I care more about software being easily available than agreeing with the developers. I wanted to love Void but it was missing plenty of software. I contributed some packages myself but some were missing dozens of dependencies so it was not very convenient.

Obongo MATE is great. It's like I'm using Windows XP again, plus the convenience of GNU/Linux. Everything just works.

This is why I unironically use arch. I have yet to come across any software that isn't in the repos. I disagree with the devs shoehorning systemd in, but not enough to stop using such a convenient os.

>but not enough to stop using such a convenient os
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

I always end up back at vanilla Ubuntu. Always. I only have a laptop these days so Unity's global menu bar saves a nice bit of vertical space, the interface's shortcuts are convenient, and really I just always find something about every other distro to dislike.

Yes, I'm aware that Unity is a dead DE walking.
Yes, I know those things I just listed are available on GNOME with the right shell extensions installed.
No, I don't care.

Just for kicks try typing

"sudo apt --fix-broken install"

in a terminal. Sometimes fixes missing dependencies. Then try installing kde again.

The problem is this.
mint-meta-kde : Depends: mint-artwork-kde but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I tried sudo apt --fix-broken install and it just gave me list of commands, like it didn't understand. I tried sudo apt-get --fix-broken install too and it just said this.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.

I have tried them all (except Gentoo) and I always come back to Solus.

I don't get distro hopping. Started with mint, then ubuntu. I've personalized my ubuntu install a lot, distro hopping basically means giving up your own customizations for someone elses.

Currently using Ubuntu 17.04

Just retired my Arch installation after getting tired of trying to make it work the way I wanted it to. Every Desktop environment is shit in some way.

Distro path went something like this:

Ubuntu -> Apricity OS -> Manjaro -> Antergos -> Fedora -> OpenSuse -> Solus -> Antergos -> Ubuntu.

The more serious I got about programming the less I cared about what distro I was running which is some of the reason why arch had to go. I'm not going to run arch on my servers and I'm tired of seing deb or rpm packages easily available and then having to depend on some random user to compile a package for arch or compile from source (if there even is one).

Coming back to the desktop environments. There is always something fucky about them. None of them have the polish of OSX and Windows out of the box (Yes they are not without faults, but I never feel like I have to fix something major while using them

I don't like how any of them look out of the box. Some of them look old as fuck without customization ( xfce4, cinnamon, mate).

Some look kinda stuck in five years ago (KDE, Unity)

Some have weird shit like how in gnome you can't tile a window to the side and then resize it.
In xfce there is no default action for the super key.
Installing a theme in KDE will just randomly fuck your shit up.

I like the workflow in gnome, but fuck gnome in general for the filepicker bull (no thumbnail view) as well as that ugly appendage of a thing when something runs in the background.

Unity has its's own issues but I am pretty comfortable using it now. It has matured a lot since I used it last. Kinda sad to see it discontinued. Hopefully some of the other DE's will go trough a renaissance period and majorly improve on the linux desktop experience.

I changed distributions because I was hoping to find one where I did not have to customize a ton of crap to get a system I liked to use. Currently using Ubuntu 16.04 on an older laptop and 17.04 on my Zenbook which needs a newer kernel. Why did you change from Mint to Ubuntu.

Back then I didn't know much at all about GNU/linux, so I used mint because that was what was on the USB stick I was passed when told to install a real operating system. After using mint for a while I decided I didn't like any of the features it added over regular ubuntu, so I decided to just get the most bog standard distro and build from there. Since I'm using i3wm and emacs it's not like I notice any difference anyways, it just seems like a monumental waste of time to switch distros all the time...

This thread holds some answers. But essentially it's not always a good idea to have multiple desktop environments. Safest would be to reinstall and only install KDE. Just put a distro with a KDE live environment on a usb and try using that for an evening.

> Monumental waste of time.

oh it really is. But after doing it a few times it is pretty fast to be up an running again quickly. Probably did it because I was curious and annoyed with something in my current distro.

I have used Arch for almost a year and stuck with fedora for months though, so I try to find some stability.