What does Sup Forums think about Atom, the text editor?

What does Sup Forums think about Atom, the text editor?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

As a former vim user I migrated to Atom a week ago and I must say that it's fucking great. Many modules out of box and pretty good fonts and rich functional.

>slow as fuck
>disgusting default colorscheme
>forced to use mouse
>no built in terminal
>no navigation keybindings
why even?

it's slower than vim, but not as slow as vim bogged down with enough plugins to make vim actually usable.

No reason to use it over Visual Studio Code since the performance blows

> not vim
> not spacemacs

Fuck off.

never used it but it looks nice.
What makes it better than an IDE?

You've been "migrating to atom from vim last week" for about a couple of months

tried it, tried to like it, just couldn't.
i didn't even know it was possible to make a laggy text editor, but somehow these guys pulled it off.

it's not

Is visual studio any good?

Not bad if youre not editing large files. I had occasional issues with buffer/swp files overwriting my files and rare crashes, so I just went back to vim. It's vim mode plugin is pgarbage desu. I also liked how easy it was to style -- basically I see it as a super sublime text editor

>implying vim is not hanging on loading large files

he's probably implying exactly that

And that is a milestone now?

Atom crashes if you open anything larger than like 2mb. I've never had vim crash on me, works on my machineā„¢

Use geany.

>not using the beta version

a lot lighter, and the ability to write any language without having to switch IDEs

don't see that coming in handy unless i plan to have a multi-language application/algorithm.

Just as slow since both are based on electronshit

You mean Atom, the browser?

I installed Atom a little while ago at the recommendation of Stackoverflow on setting up a nice LaTeX environment.
- syntax highlighting
- autocomplete
- spell check
- integrated build tool
- PDF viewer with auto-refresh

It's pretty nice.

user, let me introduce you to IntelliJ.

sublime text 3

I'd use atom if it ran in a console with a client server mode like emacs --daemon

Doesn't seem like there is any interest in this sadly. I'll stick with emacs being garbage for now.

you didn't look hard enough

I like it, the latest version ships an updated electron that boosted start times.

The hate comes from nocoders mostly, that just shill fizzbuzz on their bloated emacs.

Look at extensions like Hydrogen, you couldn't do that with Emacs/Vim.

Sup Forums shits on Atom because it includes a web browser.

Yet Sup Forums shills Emacs, even though it includes a fucking OS.

Yeah, I use it for Hydrogen (among other things). Very nice. I also look forward to more development of nTeract

spacemacs is a slow piece of shit

>disgusting default colorscheme
Change it retard.
>forced to use mouse
Did you read the manual?
See previous answer

>slow as fuck
Yea its a bit slow when it's starting but after that it's pretty comfy.

>no built in terminal
i give you that, maybe there is a plugin for it.

VS Code is superior desu.

? It's fine.

I was actually surprised at how fast it loaded. Just start it with --daemon and do emacsclient if it's slow. You can unload some of the crap spacemacs loads if you want.

I personally don't care much for their setup but it's not slow by any means.

Hydrogen is cool but emacs has all this functionality ( far less polished and usable but technologically sound)

The entire editor being written in elisp is effectively this.

Emacs has all the capabilities and more, they just need to put a lot of work into polishing it. Like there still isn't a _usable_ side bar in emacs.

I'm glad atom is doing well, competition is always good.

everything based on electron should be gassed

there's neotree

Atom already has more addons than Sublime Text.

It won.

You won't have a real choice in the future. It will be Atom or an Atom-fork or an editor with Atom add-on compatibility (e.g. VS Code).

I like it. More features.
Support for VHDL, verilog, assembly.
It's comfy Senpai.

Atom is the most powerful text editor in the world.

>slow as fuck

Get a new computer.

>forced to use mouse

This is not the 60s anymore.

>no built in terminal

This is not the 60s anymore.

VS Code has it beat.

I use Nuclide (built on top of Atom) at work and found myself liking it quite a bit after mostly replicating my spacemacs set up in it. Probably won't use it outside of work though, since the quality of life stuff definitely comes at a heavy cost in terms of speed.

honestly I love it the only thing that sucks is its literally an entire fucking browser. fuck electron

Emacs is far far better.

>except exception
>camelcase function names
kill yourself

Yeah emacs is a lisp interpreter and compiler with an editor built on top.

Is it worth using Atom over Code::Blocks or Sublime Text? I'm a beginner in Python and C++, so all I want is a uniform programme on which I can run my shitty Python scripts or compile my even shittier C++ project to an executable with the MinGW packages.

It's a webapp masquerading as a desktop application. Rejected.

Great aside from taking like a minute to load

many of us have spent years or decades accustomed to text-only workflows and we have no desire to switch. I will use emacs until I die.

At the risk of repeating an old meme, the editor is the only part that sucks. Evil-mode saves it.

IDE is the way to go. Don't listen to the meme shills who will pretend that they enjoy shitty language development methods.

Some good IDE's for Python:
Eclipse (though you need to configure it with some plugins)
Code::Blocks
Any other IDE with big libraries and good community support.

see the following list for a comprehensive view of all the python IDE's: wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

If you're a beginner, they'll all basically feel the same. More important is becoming familiar with the terminal so you're not useless outside of an IDE.

How is the linter plugin support? I don't have any complaints about sublime text, but sublime's linting could use some love for Ruby on Rails projects. Any reason to switch? I develop mostly Python, Ruby, and puppet code.

>many of us

Most people on Sup Forums are millennials.

VS Code is actually surprisingly good and fast, had my doubts before trying it because electron, but after using it for a couple weeks It's great.

I really like it

>electron
lmao

how is atom even a thing. its so fucking slow. like use gedit kate sublime notepad++ for your text editor. why do people use this garbage wtf

I don't get why everyone is complaining about slow boot times. I got a 2014 macbook pro with some quad core i5 and atom boots in ~3 seconds.

Maybe you guys should get something better than a pentium powered thinkpad?

Slow, bloated, uses too much memory. The perfect editor for the modern webshit.

Startup time of a text editor shouldn't be measured in seconds.

vs studio starts in 3 fucking seconds.

>3 seconds of 8-hour workday lost
oy vey

Visual Studio Code is a far better option, this is coming from a person that usually detests Microsoft, I switched from Atom to Visual Studio Code and it just feels & looks much better.

Plus the default shortcut keys are much shorter than Atom, and more intuitive too.

but vsc can't be compared to emacs or vim, right?

worse than kate in every way

I said usable.

But there is, VSCode cannot open more than one directory.

they did extensive planning and testing for this feature. it'll be done in a month or two

It's not bad, and the settings screens are super nice.

Visual Studio Code is more reliable though. Atom sometimes just freezes at startup for no god damn reason (probably related to autoloading previously open files, and I've got no way to turn that off when I can't even launch Atom and get into the settings).

Mouse is not efficient for most tasks - specifically ones that are text by nature.

Mouse excels at some editor functions however but anything you do frequency is better with a keyboard. Moving between the mouse and keyboard is a expensive operation.

Having a built in terminal is pretty important for coding since all the compilers run in a cli. Even eclipse has a built in terminal.

Different strokes. Big projects do benefit from ides, Android for example is next to impossible to in vim or emacs. ( Though I still use emacs for major edits)

Python you don't need a ide. It's not really a complicated environment.

the new visual studio code editor is tits. they really improved the UI. its literally sublime text + jetbrains now