/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

kernel.org/doc/Documentation/scheduler/sched-design-CFS.txt
github.com/bdaehlie/linux-cpu-scheduler-docs/blob/master/linux_cpu_scheduler.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Richard Stallman is a Communist

Repost from previous thread.

What fonts do you guys install on a fresh Arch installation for maximum Unicode support?

Richard Stallman is a computer

Richard Stallman is a cute

unicode fonts

>on a fresh Arch installation

Is there any reason why I shouldn't install the Whisker menu and Linux Mint software center on a non-Xfce, non-Linux Mint distro?

Is there any reason why I should install the Whisker menu and Linux Mint software center on a non-Xfce, non-Linux Mint distro?

yes

Imagine being at computers

botnet

noto

>third world languages

>he posted it, twice!

I sure did

long time debian faggot here, so i installed arch in a vm yesterday and here is my review, you can skip to the last sentence if you have adhd it sums up everything

Name:
Dunno why they call it Arch Linux and not Arch GNU/Linux, dunno why they call it Arch at all cause it almost looks like and it really does sound like ASS (Arsch) in my language.

Installation:
Could have taken 20 minutes (even without no install script - which is fine but this also makes it very clear that Arch does not aim to be a productive system, it's a system for learning how GNU/Linux works, and where you can not expect for something to work out of the box.)

So my complete installation took 2 hours since I decided I'd go with lvm and didn't know Arch does not configure anything by itself (it seems). I had some problems with setting up grub (arguably my fault for being rusty while setting up the boot partition and not reading up on it). Turns out I needed to configure grub and initramfs with lvm support and I didn't know I had to do it myself and I've never done it before.
Fair enough, after having done it once I'll remember it, plus I think I have more of an idea how to fix a problem I've been having on an old Debian laptop running lvm since it updated to systemd.

Package manager:
Pacman is super neat, super fast and has everything I wanted. Noice.

Conclusion:
Would waste my time again.

Fira mono

Asked in /dpt/, but those guys are retarded:
How does Linux decide what core to bind a thread/process to? I've read a few articles on CFS, but none of them mention that. Is that handled somewhere else? I know you can manually set the CPU affinity, but what if you don't?

maybe the kernel cpu scheduler?

So, just trying to wrap my head around this Electron faggotry

Your app is actually a web application with a backend ran on a self contained NodeJS server and a frontend ran on some sort of specialized web browser? Am I in the ball park?

Is this the future of software development now?

>tfw pacman broke
>on fucking Manjaro
>Have lots of homework and work to do
Alright I'm officially off the Arch train.

What distro do you guys actually use? Need to change.

Install Devuan, son.

Just use mint or fedora bro, stop it with that meme tryhard shit.

>suggesting the two literal worst distros
what is wrong with you, is 9gag down?

That's what CFS is, unless I'm utterly lost in terminology. I just want to find out how the decision is made of what CPU to use, not how it manages the time allocated to each process or any other stuff it handles.

The worst distro is Arch, followed closely by Gentoo. Anything that requires you putting time in doing what your computer should be doing for you is a waste of time and is degrading for a human being.

>Would waste my time again.

After a dozen or so installs on different machines, you'll eventually just say "Ah fuck this" and use Antergos.

>meme tryhard
Once you wrap your head on distros beyond entry level and try stuff like Debian, Arch, Gentoo, you will know what you were missing the whole time; actual GNU/Linux, not some Windows knockoff for the poor.

i think that decision is made by the scheduling algorithm, and to change that you probably have to write your own algorithm and recompile the kernel

I'm pretty sure CFS also decides what core to use.

users shouldn't need to use the commandline for daily computer use

t. opinion

I know jerking off is degrading but your computer shouldn't be in charge of that.

Alright kiddo, just tell us the symptoms so we can fix your fuck-up.

I don't need to change it, I just need to know how it happens. I am mostly interested in the possibility of it having a preference for lower-numbered CPU's.

Gents, mpsyt is so fucking cool. Found it a month ago and still have fun with it. Please try it. You fire it up, run //outrun, get one billion of playlists, hit *, tune in, start programming.

And by "preference for lower-numbered CPUs" I mean this:
Let's say we have a dual socket motherboard where each physical CPU has 4 cores and 8 threads. Is it more likely that most of the work will be done on one particular cpu? On one particular physical core?

If you want any specific modifications, I think you'll have to make your changes to the source code of the kernel itself and compile it and install your own custom kernel.

Damn. Brian Fox is a hot daddy bear.

>I don't need to change it
>If you want any specific modifications
I just want to know if there is a bias, and if there is, exploit it for my little project.

>pacman: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I would like to experiment with kernel modules. Any suggestions what to read for creating a simple hello-world module?

It doesn't have any bias, that's why it's called the Completely Fair Scheduler :^)

Not even memeing

I feel its very unfair and neglects female cores

Did you make any changes to your pacman.conf? Like maybe enable a testing repo?

Nah, the only enabled repos are core, extra, community, multilib and archlinuxfr. It has bene like this since I installed Manjaro.

>package manager
>makes you do all the management for it

archcucks are at it again

tfw ian is dead and deb divorced him, this is why you shouldnt name things after 3d waifus

Sup Forums seems to have eaten my post, here is what I said:

Not to overstate my welcome, but could you provide a source? Or at least a few keywords I could type into google. I couldn't find any info on the subject and my little project might, or might not be undergrad research for uni, which would require

To be fair Debian is the only distro with a name that doesn't sound retarded and a logo that doesn't look retarded.

[...] would require a little more proof than a post on Sup Forums.

if your professors were any competent they would acknowledge Sup Forums as a reliable source

Always listen to what Sup Forums says.

kernel.org/doc/Documentation/scheduler/sched-design-CFS.txt

Alright, what's the deal Sup Forumsentoomen?

I used to use Gentoo and just today I installed NixOS on the same machine and now I get noticeably better performance in the new UT.

Did I just do a shitty job configuring my Gentoo kernel or something?

test

Read it, couldn't find anything relevant to what I was talking about.

install gentoo

Found my answer:
github.com/bdaehlie/linux-cpu-scheduler-docs/blob/master/linux_cpu_scheduler.pdf

Turns out it is completely fair. Thanks anons.

>Manjaro breaks
>Blames Arch
Every fucking time

symbola

Is it better than youtube-viewer?

aight lads I dug an old desktop out of my parents basement, i'm looking to install a distro on it to get some practice on. I have a bit of linux experience, but not much. I wanna learn the in's and out's but don't wanna jump straight into arch linux or some shit like that yet. Here are the specs:
>IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® 4 Processor 630 (3 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
>1 GB RAM
>integrated graphics
>250 GB HDD
What can I run on it? It boots to Windows XP in like 90 seconds, to give you an idea of the speed. I was thinking maybe Lubuntu, but I dunno. I have yet to take a compiler, hardware, or operating systems class at my university yet, so I'd rather not go into compiling kernels and shit quite yet, but I'd like to get very familiar with the terminal

Ubuntu LTS. If you are a little autist, Ubuntu server and then personalize your session manager/DE/WM and common applications. I am running Ubuntu 16.04 with Xfce4 (not Xubuntu). Runs perfect.

Ubuntu is nice but why is the default DE and theme so fucking ugly? It's like they don't take pride in what they do.

Also, it has half-assed SysV backward compatibility. Is that a thing with only Ubuntu or is that from Debian?

What the fuck are you guys doing, stop thinking about it.

Yeah, I'm thinking on just going Ubuntu.
Everyone at the Faculty is using it and they never have stupid pacman problems.

My new distro came with zsh. Should I throw it in the garbage and use bash?

depends. do you prefer portability and intuitiveness, or do you prefer being a special snowflake hipster?

Both sound pretty good

Anything with xfce or lxde. I like debian.

>I have autism!
>Stop deciding what is worth your time and what isn't!

>doing a partial upgrade
you deserve this

Archbang, Star, or Void

is there a wm for wayland like openbox yet?

sway

> Be me
> Winblows 10 yes
> I could try out dis Linux meme once on vm
> Install Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Kali
> I liked Ubuntu the most
> I only game now on winblows

Hey, y'all. I just downloaded
I seem to be unable to open the zip in Archive Manager. Help?

Why the fuck does apt take so long to finish after not having found a package to install

arch comes with zsh and I like the way it is configured, when I installed it on my distro it was shit

Devuan or Fedora Xfce.

um how is that similar to openbox when it's tiling?

Anyone know if there will be a Devuan Stretch?

Jesus cock sucking mother fucking Christ how long do I have to fucking wait for those morons over at NVidia to release a driver that I can use in Wayland.

How many years has it been now? If I ever meet an NVidia employee on the street I'd just sock him right in the mouth.
Fuck this shit, next video card I buy is going to be AMD.

why is it so fucking hard to find a decent linux laptop? I'm going to have to just buy a used chromebook that can run seabios at this point. WTF

New Ubuntu user here. Why is it such an insufferable pain in the ass to install anything by hand? Fuck me, this is confusing as all hell.

@anarchist

The Arch forums are always hilarious.

>have intel hardware
>it just works
>try wayland
>it's the smoothest thing i've ever seen

Holy shit I can't wait until there is finally a decent floating compositor (window manager in Xorg times) and until the protocol gets more extensions to offer all the features one expects currently from a desktop.
Shit's gonna be rad.

>archlinux.fr

WHat a retard, but it was clear since you couldn't be bothered with checking forums where the problem has been described.

What do you need to install by hand?

I would like to buy a machine to use as a server.
Basically I'm gonna put a linux distribution, use it to backup my stuff with a FTP server so I can access my files when I want.
I also wanted to be able to stream music to my Android.
There are high chances that it's gonna be used for more things, so just on case I don't want something too slow.
What kind of hardware should I look at ?

I'm getting a PC with no OS installed so I'm going to use Ubuntu on it, so I've been fiddling around with it on Live USB so that I have some idea how to use it when the PC arrives. I started with something simple, getting Doom to run on Ubuntu. I installed Zandronum rather easily (all I had to do was copypaste some script that downloaded & installed it for me automagically), but then I tried to download a mod manager/wad launcher for it and install it by hand and I'm completely lost.

It's called the SSG Launcher, and as you can see in the included screenshot, there is the tar.gz file and the files that I extracted from it, none of which I know what to do with. Am I missing something really simple here?

It's explained on the website where you downloaded it. Ubuntu isn't Windows, so you can't expect to use it like it's Windows.

Why do you think you need special hardware for that? The only reasonable thing to consider is power consumption, because it will be on all the time.

>have 970
>nouveau doesn't work because it has no fucking clue what to do with the fake 4gb

anyone named "anarchist" is bound to be a faggot

My main concern is to not spend too much. While having something decent/good

I realize that, user. That's why I'm trying to learn how to use it.