Redpill me on retro technology

redpill me on retro technology
what's the point? what's the pleasure?

Computing before normies got involved

There is no point or pleasure.
It's a """""hobby"""" for autists and hipster with lots of """"nostalgia"""" and criclejerking.

>this is what underage actually believe

>why do people collect antiques?
>why do people restore classic cars?
>why do people read old books?
because we like it? if you don't then don't do it.

>getting so defensive even when OP didn't say anything bad
wew lad

it gives me some sort of nostaglic peace that i use to carry me through life

/thread

It's fascinating, but ultimately a waste of time for most people who collect it. If you must, collect ONE(1) piece of retro tech at a time and enjoy it until the novelty wears off. Then sell it and wait for the next thing to come along. At no point should you be hoarding. It only ends in depression.

THIS

This was literally my first computer in 1993 when I got into post production at a very young age. Wayyyy ahead of it's time.

It even had Lightwave 3D on it :^)

To answer your question, there really is no point to retro technology except to give you the feels and to see how far we've come, desu senpai.

a cheap way to experience expensive, high-end technologies and explore new things you never would have given a shit about otherwise all on devices that look great while they do it, gives you a shitload of perspective as well and is a great way to actually learn about computers beyond becoming a spec sheet buzzword regurgitating sheep
only if you're a piece of self-loathing shit to begin with or a pussy "minimalist" faggot living in a studio apartment, or just a hipster who never actually liked any of this in the first place and just wanted the upvotes

>To answer your question, there really is no point to retro technology except to give you the feels and to see how far we've come, desu senpai.
Or to see how far we haven't, depending on what retro technology you're into.

he didn't say anything defensive? he literally just answered op's question, seems like you were really projecting the wrong tones to the text there buddy.

his answer sounded a lot like a response to an attack rather than a question desu

don't blame him though justinposters are retarded

Most old computers are easy to fix and the parts are dirt cheap on ebay as long as it's not super proprietary hardware or something really old. They're also simple and easier to manipulate. They aren't locked down by software and they're also just comfy because stuff used to be built better. For example, my early 2000s PowerBooks are way more durable and flexible software wise than the current Macs.

Modern tech is cool for all of the features, speed, and efficiency but retro tech is appealingbecauseof the simplicity and openness to tinkering.

Also, laptop computers in general only gotten thinner and have bigger batteries installed. You can get a $30 craptop with 2GB of RAM and a 1.5GHz Core2 and install Xubuntu and it'll work nearly as well as a $500 machine for basic tasks like programming, light web browsing, listening to music, etc. I guess 2005ish hardware could just barely be considered retro but it can still be put to good use today.

it's like a first love

you can nevar forget

>how far we've come
Building desktop apps with JavaScript and snowflake Chrome so that blinking a cursor consumes 13% of a multi-billion instruction per second CPU.

We've come a long way baby.

You know how back in the 80s, all these old guys would buy 1950s cars? They did it because they could "now" afford the car they wanted back when they were in high school but could not afford at the time.

So, that's what it's like now with these old computers.

>tfw i still can't afford a next cube

Being the ass blasted

>
Who you calling hipster you fucking hipster

Nostalgia. People usually point that out in a dismissive way, but nostalgia isn't necessarily a bad thing. For example, playing a game in DOSBox in the context of a modern operating system isn't the same as firing up the same machine you used when you are a kid. Putting a physical floppy in, knowing that none of where computers eventually went is present in that moment, feeling like that long lost time in your life is still the present. When used in moderation, that kind of nostalgia can be a grounding thing that helps you keep perspective on what you do and don't want from modern technology as it runs wild in directions you never wanted to see it go. Those reminders of the past help you understand what is right and wrong about the present.

>only if you're a piece of self-loathing shit to begin with or a pussy "minimalist" faggot living in a studio apartment, or just a hipster who never actually liked any of this in the first place and just wanted the upvotes
Spot on m8!

Technology is about compromises. There is no perfect system.

But with innate talent/skill learning, we make the best of out of the machines that we've got. Computers have created hundreds of millions of jobs and careers.

>You know how back in the 80s
kek, op is probably 15 years old and so nothing he has ever used is old enough to be considered retro

Was about to say, having lived and actually used [[[retro]]] tech when it was new, normies were all over this shit even then.

and ruin my retirement plan?

I don't think so

I'm not really shitting on new technology as much as you think, I'm saying that the most fascinating part of it is realizing that engineers back then weren't the shit-chucking apes people think they were and admiring the incredible shit they built decades before their ideas truly made it into the mainstream.

I hate thinking in terms of "how far we've come" because it's just plain disrespectful to all of the incredible work we've done up to this point, these things were works of art, the culmination of thousands of peoples' efforts that even today stand as examples of the most advanced technologies we as a species can develop.

>or just a hipster who never actually liked any of this in the first place and just wanted the upvotes
pretty much 99% Sup Forumsretro and /vr/

>justinposters
what's that?

this is obviously worded like user thinks OP is attacking him in his mind
which is obviously not

Retro has no definitive definition, it's entirely individual.

Holy shit, that picture.
Amiga fucking sucks cock, one of the worst machines ever made, desu

Personally I find "retro tech" really interesting. Something about analog physical media.

I really like Techmoan on YouTube, he covers a lot of nifty shit.

Personally I don't collect anything because I'm a poorfag, but if I came into money I'd definitely start a little collection. They're pieces of technological history, and most of them were - at the time - the best mankind had to offer.

>normies

Does not compute

Remove black cock from your ass and try again y/n?

Well I agree user. No disagreement here desu senpai.

A lot of people were way ahead of their time in the computing industry and have left a giant mark.

Pic semi-related.
This is what Sup Forums was recommending people to buy back in 2008. Thinkpads are definitely old-meme

For me it's just nice for the contrast of no internet connection, simple software, nice aesthetic. Not to mention I play doom/quake a lot so sometimes it's nice to just sit down on an old 95/98 rig and play something on a huge 21" NEC Accusync.

The only pleasure

It's like fiddling with old sports car or vinyl records. It's not as reliable and sometimes totally inconvenient, but the whole experience with it's quirks and features makes all the difference.