Backing anything up on pic related when SD cards exist

>backing anything up on pic related when SD cards exist

WHY?!
Is there a reason not to store things other than pictures on an SD card? Because if it's all the same, why not go with the thing which is most compact?

Other urls found in this thread:

datacenterfrontier.com/inside-facebooks-blu-ray-cold-storage-data-center/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

SSD can potentially loose data if they stay unpowered for a long time.

>tfw my data is loose
time to duct tape my datas then

When people say the life of an HD is X amount of time, does that usually assume that the drive is being used (in a desktop for example) the entire time?

>buy drive
>back things up on drive
>leave drive in closet for 5 years

Time to buy a NEW spinning drive and copy everything over in case the old one fails, then put 'em both back in the closet?

Because a 3tb ST card cost a lot more than a portable hard disk, and is much less reliable while also being easy to lose/steal.

You should always have multiple backups of your most important data.

>implying any of it is important

Pretend the analogy was
>buy 2 drives
>back things up on drives
>leave drives in closet for 5 years

Time to buy a 3rd & 4th drive, copy over your data, and put all 4 in the closet for another 5 years until buying 5 and 6?

SD cards are slower when compared to an HDD, SSD a lot faster tho

Yes. You absolutely need to have your backup on multiple formats from different brands.

Want an SSD? sure. use it as your main
Get a regular WD and keep a longer duration backup on it.
Get a Seagate incase the WD just stops working randomly.

Fucked up on your SSD, and overwrote some data?
Cool, the WD has a backup from 8 months ago.

>recommending brands instead of saying hdds

SD cards have worse read/write and will eventually stop working if you keep on writing copious amounts of data on it.

HDDs have the same problem.
The problem here is that we KNOW that SSDs die after about X read/write cycles. HDDs dont. HDDs (most of the time) only die because of mechanical damage, which is a lot less common than an SSD dieing just for the sake of it.

>HDDs have the same problem.
are you retarded?

No.
That's just fuckin normal and has physical reasons that the magnetic fields for the bits get fucked over time.
Learn how 2 HDD, nigger

PS: it is obviously not the same reason WHY they lose data when unpowered for a long time, but both definitly do.

Other user here.
HDDs work by magnetizing parts of the platter (aka the hard drive) to store data.
And this magnetic data can also be lost by external influences
Ye
DVDs do too incase you think thise are safe.

>DVDs do too incase you think thise are safe.
No, but they can be stored a lot longer.
datacenterfrontier.com/inside-facebooks-blu-ray-cold-storage-data-center/

>DVDs
They're physically carved pits on the plastic, how would they even lose data?

>he doesn't keep his backups in an electromagnetically shielded safe

Tape muh nigguh.

The best backup option are optical media.

flash memory is not useful for long term offline backup.

Flash storage is pretty comfy for on the go data availability. I knew this guy that had a credit card sized SD card holder in his wallet with something ridiculous like terabytes of capacity so he always had his backups. (He used a Thinkpad running libreboot in case you were wondering.) However, they're pretty shit for real back ups. They fail too often and have shitty read/write times. The best option for available local back ups is a server that periodically fires up to take back ups, and then shuts down. There's so many online solutions you'd be a fool not to include one (with your data personally encrypted of course) in your back up plan. Long term back ups, DVD/Blu-Ray made for data archiving is king. Keep one set at your home in a disaster proof lock box and a second in a safety deposit box.

sd cards are kings of corruption

Ssd for daily use
Hdd for backups

Disc rot

DVD-Rs use an organic dye that can degrade over time. Most (all?) BD-Rs use an inorganic data layer. M-DISK is proprietary (expensive) that uses a data layer that is more resistant to oxygen but needs a stronger laser to record the data.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

idiot

> Get a 64gb class 10 Sandisk card
> Put it in my chinky MP3 player
> Occasionally copy music to it
> Mostly just play for a couple hours a day
> Dies after eight months
SD cards are SHIT

I have a 64GB SD card that i have had for 2 years.
I bet it got wet or something.

Sup Forums is hopeless when it comes to storage
Because the number 1 rule to storage is keeping the item in a cool , dry place.

to anons here they are rather....ummm...alright you are all stupid IMO.