/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Old thread: What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

rextester.com/PELQ26037
en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/chrono/duration
ux.stackexchange.com/questions/53264/dark-or-white-color-theme-is-better-for-the-eyes
anthonybonato.com/2016/04/20/this-is-your-brain-on-mathematics/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I want to branch out from webdev and go for something bigger.
Should I learn Python on top of my PHP/MySQL/JavaScript leet pro mega skills?
Should I get into deep learning?
Should I hire myself out to companies, or try to develop software and promote and sell it later?

I want jacks to make computer ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM VERY FAST
THX

Just do it.

I'll just do it as soon as I find out what "it" is. Thats why I am asking.

Hire a team, create a new cryptocurrency, ICO, profit.

One easy way to know the person is a moron
x ^= y;
y = x ^ y;
x ^= y;

Why does it not place them decrementally on the stack!?

int a = 2;
int b = 3;

gcc translates to asm as

movl $2, -16(%rbp)
movl $3, -12(%rbp)

when logically the stack grows downwards to the lower adress so it should had been

movl $2, -12(%rbp)
movl $3, -16(%rbp)

I see that a objdump -d indeed places them correctly in the stack.Why does the asm generated by gcc not place them correctly?

727: c7 45 f0 02 00 00 00 movl $0x2,-0x10(%rbp)
72e: c7 45 f4 03 00 00 00 movl $0x3,-0xc(%rbp)

Rewriting Haskell in untyped lambda calculus.

if you want to open a bottle, you just fucking do it, you don't have to recite a string of words like "righty tighty, lefty loosey" to figure out how to do it

you haven't truly learned something unless you've internalized it past the word description of it

this applies to everything including math and programming etc

you'll suck at problem solving etc if you're unable to reason with things intuitively

>writing a type-checker
ok

Who here /moron/?
It's so unfair, I didn't choose to be a moron.

I know most of the web runs on PHP, but thats for historical reasons. There is just a lot on the web that was build years ago.
What does the NEW web run on? New websites, new web applications, what are they written with and what do they run on?

inb4 opinions
post some surveys or stats or whatever

Guys, you know how vim has no words being split in the margin.
How would you, given a integer width, change a string such that it has no words in the margins.
Keep in mind newlines.

How do I get a cross-platform time difference in microseconds in C++?

it changes rapidly because none of the web "technologies" are good enough to become the de facto standard

rextester.com/PELQ26037

std::experemental::boost::platform_independent_timeDifference

I just entered the thread so I don't know if there's context to this so I'm just going to respond to this post taken on its own.

Yes, it's true that you can't say you've really gotten proficient at programming until you know a languages nooks and crannies and peculiarities off the top of your head and rarely have to consult the documentation for even moderately complex problems.

But it's also true that such skill requires a lot of time to hone, and in that time things could (and probably will) change drastically in a world that progresses as fast as technology. Not only that, sometimes you may need to switch jobs out of necessity. At that point you may need to pick up another language, a process made a lot easier if you've already experimented with it in your spare time.
While you absolutely do need to know the basic core of programming by heart (assignment of variables, calling of functions, scope, etc. None of these things or similar things should ever confuse you) knowing only one language really, really well might end up not working in your favor in the long run.

>O(n^4) parsing

>Undecidable parsing

that's fair. yesterday there was an user who said it was easier to remember "righty tighty, lefty loosey" than to just "know" which direction you should turn a screw to tighten it, and anons were defending the use of mnemonics past the learning stage. i just think that turning a screw is something so basic that an adult of average intelligence shouldn't struggle with it or find it useful to memorize a mnemonic for it.

Anyone else think Bjarne is an idiot with an inflated ego?

s/bjarne/guido

I don't think he has an inflated ego anymore it's just that people praise his language to high heavens when it's not worth it.

When has he ever shown an ego?
All the things ive watched him in it just seems like he's horribly depressed
[[Stale Sepples joke]

Anyone have any guides for programming on TempleOS?
Chrono.

How do you manage configuration files?
How do you manage multiple servers that all need updating at the same time?
What software do you use to monitor uptime and failures?

Working on my imageboard, 4kev.org

en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/chrono/duration

>If your colorscheme has any pure colors in it, then say goodbye to your eyesight.
ux.stackexchange.com/questions/53264/dark-or-white-color-theme-is-better-for-the-eyes

Yes weve all seen that stack link.
That doesnt refute what i said though.
Dont use pure colors, they are bad, especially white and black.
use saturated colors.

Well, if they use this they are one.

Prove it

>you'll suck at problem solving etc if you're unable to reason with things intuitively
But we use words to reason, even in our thoughts. Or do you deal with problems so trivial that words are seldom used?

How do you do useful things with C++?

>As this article on UXMovement states, "white stimulates all three types of color sensitive visual receptors in the human eye in nearly equal amounts." It causes the eye to focus by tightening the iris. Since the eye is focused, dark letter forms on light backgrounds are easier to read.
this argument is nullified when you have thin grey text such as on stackoverflow which is more difficult to read in the name of being less "harsh"

its literally day 0 shit in color theory.
Its harsh on the eyes.
White and black especially cause fatigue faster.

>But we use words to reason, even in our thoughts.
if you're not retarded you can reason on an "abstract" level and visually as well

If you're too lazy to learn Fortran C++ is good for things that requires high performance.
Words are used to describe abstract concepts, champ, and unless you're some kind of braindead codemonkey where you don't deal with lots of different abstract concepts everyday you're gonna need them to label those concepts.
Read Tractatus sometime, boy.

So /dpt/, what are some new languages BESIDES rust,go,kotlin,d you think have a chance of being good?

>D
>chance of being good

words are used for communication, but not necessarily for thinking and doing tings

kill yourself lmfao jackass

fortran doesn't have better performance than C++ with modern compilers dumbshit

>not necessarily for thinking and doing tings
Yeah not necessary at your level it seems.
Wrong.

ahahahahahhahaha have a (You)

is that why some people are so fucking slow at drawing obvious conclusions, because they're having an internal monologue about every single thing they're thinking about

learn GUI or graphics library then write an application using it

Did your brain stop working user? Should probably use some words next time.

stay delusional dumb cunt

Oh the Dunning-Kruger is strong in this one.

KILL YOURSELF, you're absolutely pathetic, even if you're just trolling you're a pathetic time waster

>Dunning-Kruger
It's funny how, the people who mention this are usually also under the same effect

>this samefagging
>autism overload

if someone throws a rock at you you don't need to talk to yourself in your head to know to get out of the way of the rock

if you're solving a jigsaw puzzle you don't need to use words to get pieces to fit together

if you're solving a math problem you don't need to say in your head "two plus two" to know that 2+2=4

>>this samefagging
How very interesting
>>autism overload
You are the one acting like an autist desu

>these are the kinds of problems he's dealing with
LMFAO holy shit

they're just dumbed down examples so everyone including (You) can understand

>its a phoneposter shitposting episode

Getting tired of this re-run desu

Sure it is brainlet LMAO

yeah i'm the one suffering from the dunning-kruger effect

Yes actually.
>you should never use words to think
Jesus fucking Christ lfmao

who are you quoting?

What the fuck are you even arguing about?

You.

apparently this sperglord literally spells out in his head "righty tighty, lefty loosey" every time to figure out how he should open a plastic bottle

Why is there such a high prevalence of autism within anime posters?

don't pretend you're not autistic, everyone here is

@6..5
anti-anime posters are infinitely more autistic
>ree this picture has things i dont like in it, better derail a thread over it

i think some are just gay

Be honest, do you LIKE programming?

What? Don't you?

>If you're too lazy to learn Fortran
You're Fortranu a shit

I don't know if I do.
What do people like about it?

i don't like getting stuck trying to fix a bug or implementing a big feature which takes a lot of time and effort, but i enjoy making progress and i definitely like building software, and i like the fact that it's challenging and i like having an edge in that not everyone can program with the same proficiency as me

Programming is an exercise in advanced problem solving.
Also occasionally, you write some shit that is useful.

>it are le stanky whomst art thou quoting maymay

>Programming is an exercise in advanced problem solving.
t. never had a job

Would you do it for your entire life?

programming != being a code monkey

you're moving the goalpost now

just admit you got btfo by japanese lolis

>we use words to reason, even in our thoughts.
No we don't. We use words to communicate reasoning. It doesn't always work.

i would probably move on to mainly the business management or software architecture side of things like managing a team of programmers but i think i'll be interested in programming for a long time

How do you know you're not just a code monkey who was just technologically literate.

What you're saying is patently untrue. "Language is required for thought" is one of the most imbecilic beliefs ever.

I'm not, or at least I dont sperg out over meaningles things.

I dont catr about the pictures desu. It's just whenever I encounter someone especialy dense, it's usually someone who argues with smug anime girls

No actually that's exactly what programming is and it's literally nothing else ever. You just implement the same standards over and over again day after day, dictated to you by people who don't know what they're talking about because they don't program. It doesn't get better one day, that's all it is all the way up. The only way to get a "better" / more fulfilling programming job is to be an independent software entrepreneur, and at that point, let's just be fucking fair, you don't REALLY have a job, you're just an autist.

That guy is a known autist. He shitposts several generals on Sup Forums with his retarded crap.

Prove it.

#6..6
Posting smug has become a tactic in itself though.
You can usually tell whos genuine by the filename, and who just saves artifacted smug with a 4ch filename.

>It's just whenever I encounter someone especialy dense, it's usually someone who argues with smug anime girls
Do you literally never leave this site?
Because there are plenty of especially dense people who don't argue with smug anime girls, and most of them don't come around these parts.

Prove it.

Non-human animals:
- capable of thought
- incapable of language

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the kind of thought for which human intelligence is required.

Deaf people.

>human intelligence
How does that differ from general intelligence?

He's wrong regardless of what he meant. Another example are visual proofs in geometry. Do you verbalise internally when you draw graphs? I don't. Actually, I don't verbalise most of my thoughts. They just 'pop-up' in my head.
Another example: people do worse at a task when they're asked to verbalise what they're doing.

anthonybonato.com/2016/04/20/this-is-your-brain-on-mathematics/
>A fascinating recent study by French neurobiologists Marie Amalric and Stanislas Dehaene reached an interesting conclusion: mathematical thinking, whether basic or advanced, resides in a nonlinguistic part of the brain. Our brains process language and mathematics differently.