youtu.be/2qk5vxWY46A?t=6m42s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install. Gentowo

>gentowo

What happened to that poor meme

Thanks for the (You) i crave them so much

He got a Java EE job, that's him after a month

> Can one learn Spring in a week?
I know exactly what kind of job you have and don't worry, you will quickly get it. The answer to your question is "yes", but for you personally it's most likely "no".
Once you understand it you will start liking it. It makes a lot of sense. It's especially nice if you use modern Spring without .xml config.

>but for you personally it's most likely "no"
Hey now, that's quite rude

>Why is fate so cruel?
Because shitting on Java doesn't automatically make you competent. Also, it's your fault really, for not spending more time on interesting stuff and saying yes to the first job offer that comes along.

Well is he / are you ready to spend multiple hours per day learning the ins and outs of spring-core and all the other spring-* shit he/you will need?

I've got nothing better to do anyways
>first job offer that comes along
I currently have a dev job that I'm trying to get away from. This new one is apparently one of the most desired employees in the area and they seem quite flexible to my needs

>gets cucked by Java

Don't laugh

its not that bad, java is comfy

> I've got nothing better to do anyways
Well, then get to it.
You should focus on spring-core and spring-web.
You should start by understanding all the annotations and their parameters Spring uses. The majority of things you do in Spring works through annotations, so if you understand all of them you understand all of Spring. If your new company does not use annotations, there is an xml equivalent to every annotation and I pity you a lot.

Besides that you should probably have a good grasp of JPA, EntityManager and eventually spring-data. If you also need to know JSF you should kill yourself right now, really, just do it.

At the top of my head:

@Component
@Service
@RequestMapping
@GetMapping / @PostMapping / etc.
@Controller
@RestController
@Autowired
@Configuration
@Bean
@RequestBody
@ResponseBody
@ControllerAdvice
@ExceptionHandler
@Scope / @RequestScope / @SessionScope
@PostConstruct
@EventListener
@Async
@Transactional
@Primary

Terms you should understand:
Application Context
(spring-)context
Proxy / Java(-Interface)-Proxy / cglib Proxy
Scope (at least application, request and session scope)
dependency injection
AOP (aspect oriented programming)
component scanning
spring profiles

>
Finally a reason for suicide, thank you user

Java isn't that bad, it's just unfun

my reasons for not liking java extend only so far as its slow and crashes all the time
many older approaches to platform independence work much better

Learn Scala and surpass your drone colleagues.

That way all tha java knowledge will be useful for something

>Avoided Java for most of my life
>Never shitposted against it
>Get internship which uses Java and Hadoop

>has never used spring
>thinks he is allowed to have an opinion on java
why am I not surprised?

>Can one learn Spring in a week?
not really, but you'll pick it up fast enough on the job, given that neither you nor your employer are retarded

it is if you enjoy creating things that work

>its slow
this is false
>crashes all the time
I'm trying hard but I really can't remember the last time anything running on Java crashed for me. I use IntelliJ and Bitwig a lot and have a Spring json api running since like 2013.

I'll have to agree that I also don't really remember Java crashing on me, but one of the main resons I hate it is because of Swing, it's atrocious

I made a simple map editor for my video gay with Swing once and desu MigLayout made it rather pleasurable to use. Anyway JavaFX came out like 10 years ago so Swing is really a legacy thing.

Yea I know, that was back then around that time. I still feel sick if I come across a Swing program

>I still feel sick if I come across a Swing program
That's strange. I never felt sick while using IntelliJ (unless I was hungover). Maybe I'm resistant

There is so many jobs to choose from how the fuck can you not pick one where you can keep using the language you prefer?

Java isn't so bad. I like it more than Python

What I hate of Spring Framework is that there is no intuitive way of knowing what the flow of your program is. You just pull the killer annotation out of your ass and it works. There is some parallel world to which the annotations are hooked to but it is not known unless you read a shitton of docs.

Fuck Spring Framework. Spring Boot and Vert.x are much simpler.

java is ok. however, as a haskell fanboy i make heavy use of functional programming principles and java's syntax for that is just buttfuck ugly. also doesn't support pointfree styles, forces this shitty braces on me everywhere, no unified functor/applicative/monad concept, the stream/optional classes still lack quite some things, makes it harder to throw beautiful higher order functions around, REEE

however i still prefer it a lot to shit like c#. starting methods with an uppercase letter makes me puke every time.

>hates java
>uses android phone

Im a Java developer working with spring and hibernate. Its a pretty comfy kobiety desu and I really like it. Java isnt bad od you actually know your shit. Its no C# though. Had the opportunity to set up an ASP .net core api and working with VS and everything was on a other level.

but spring boot is spring framework, just with convention over configuration and some additional tooling

>There is some parallel world to which the annotations are hooked to but it is not known unless you read a shitton of docs.
how is this a bad thing? it's easy go get it working and you can still learn what happens behind the mask with a bit of reading, which is usually how learning theoretical stuff works

Look into kotlin. Not scala, but way less verbose than Java.

Let me guess. You are just another monkey who accepted the first job offer from a bank because of the pay check.

Cant say I feel sorry for you. Enjoy that Java EE and being unemployable outside of that sector.

>comfy *job
not sure what happened there

Please, enlighten me what kind of programming job are you in and how is it better than programming in Java?

It is not so much that Java sucks. It is the mundane nature of working on enterprise software at a bank. Know lots of people doing that and the first thing they try to do is escape into management, the alternative is wanting to kill yourself in 5 years.

Me ? I got a comfy job in embedded systems. Lots of variety and far from being a code monkey managed by people who have no idea of engineering :^)

If it were a bank, they would hire Cobol devs and pay accordingly. Some banks are also doing Java but most of the work is outsourced to consulting firms.

Banks also have very strict quality policies for obvious reasons.

Being a Java backend dev, chances are he will be doing menial web services shit for some Infosys.

>being unemployable outside of that sector
Most of the concepts are derived from patterns and are applicable to nearly all systems. Yet another JS/Python fag who thinks opinionated frameworks and strong typing are bad.

Do you get to use Java 8? It's still a meh language, but it's significantly less terrible.

I work in enterprise Java and it is far from mundane. Every new project is a challenge and I also have to do other stuff around projects, not just Java. The company I work for does software for industrial companies (factories, production etc.). Very often we have to work with some embedded shit they have on site or figure out different ways to fit our system to their line of work.
It's not just code monkeying. Of course when maintenance comes there are slow weeks here and there where we focus on debugging and polishing stuff but that happens everywhere.

i did but it just looks like a ton of syntactic sugar thrown on java while suffering under similar issues i've complained about. i don't really like syntactic sugar for everything, that sounds like c#.

>embedded systems
Enjoy your outdated tools, complex debugging that requires using an oscilloscope and slow testing cycle. Tbh I think embedded systems are the coolest thing ever, they're what got me into programming. I mean you're turning your code into actual physical changes in the world. It's the basically real life magic. But reading about the actual career put me off, sounds like much more work for the same or less pay and also less job openings. Be cool to learn just as a hobby, though. Maybe one day.

I used to work in embedded writing buildroot centred firmware and its a pain in the ass to work with. Outdated toolchains, difficult and slow debugging and no comfy CI, deployment and build tools make everything a chore.
I'm now a lead developing distributed Spring REST services and its a far better work environment with modern tool sets. Its also much more rewarding if you enjoying planning and designing resilient and efficient system architectures.

in which year do you live you idiot youtu.be/2qk5vxWY46A?t=6m42s

Java isn't bad. It's Java developers who are bad.

[spoiler]No, it really is bad.[/spoiler]

>Can one learn Spring in a week?
You can learn enough.

Java isn't as bad as you thought. It's elegant, mature, robust and very easy to write.

What's your problem with Java?

Java is a lot of things but I'd hardly call it elegant.

Fits my definition, simple and easy to read.

I agree with that. Java is definitely easy to read.
IMO elegant means that it's concise, expressive and readable like Python strives to be. Java is too verbose for me to consider it elegant.

Nah, as I said here It's a software firm that develops on contract as well as for the government

That's still better than my case, not having a job.
It's gotten bad enough that I'm getting the "you have a gap on your resume" argument, even though I'm still doing projects on my own and learning random shit on the side.

That's production plant you idiot. It has hardly anything to do with development phase of embedded devices. Please spew more shit about things you clearly have no idea about.

OP here, I originally wanted to get into embedded programming, but I think that might suit me better as a hobby than a career. I was about to get hired for it but I kinda lost interest after giving it some thought. I'd rather fuck around with electronics at home, on my own projects.
If this shit is any better than my current mind-numbing job I'll be satisfied. And believe me, I know what the corporate IT enviroment looks like, precisely a bank one.
Sorry to hear that, I'd recommend finding an internship, It's how I got to where I currently am. Also, it seems that the "university is primarily for connections" isn't a meme

who cares it is just a language and it just works. I never understand why Sup Forums so autistic and constantly owning, hating tech stuff.

Where are you located? I work in embedded, it pays more than regular software in certain areas. It really can be fucking annoying though.

>Java
>most used language
>7%
>He expects not to encounter it

You really that stupid? Second is C with 3%

> I'd recommend finding an internship
Thanks, that's one thing I've been trying to do as well. I did find one company giving SCADA traineeships, but for some reason they are lagging behind so badly that it might not even be worth the wait.

>I originally wanted to get into embedded programming
I too, but my university suddenly thought it would be better to turn everything into a big "Software Engineering" general. Although it's great that I have proper knowledge about the entire engineering aspect, the critical lack of courses involving more technical stuff like embedded and automation left me without the experience I need to even get into junior functions. All I could do is somehow teach myself that shit.