What benefits do electric cars have other than "muh globul warming" virtue signaling?

What benefits do electric cars have other than "muh globul warming" virtue signaling?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_battery
eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3
youtube.com/watch?v=CRwEXaHTwsY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why would you evil signal?

Instant and very good acceleration
Also

Possibility of recharging them in your own garage, and no fumes that stink up the city.

Instant and absurd amounts of power. In the case of Tesla at least.
The characteristics of electric motors are pretty outstanding.

global warming

This, not even good against global warming, all the mining for battery's and disposal of them isnt good

Electric vehicles are more efficient and easier to maintain.

It will be though when we finally get those graphene batteries we keep hearing about for the past 10 years.

lower testosterone

improved local air quality

>lithium """"""mining"""""""

Engine is more compact and weighs significantly less
Instant and higher torque for the size
Mechanically simpler in design

Electric cars are one breakthrough in battery tech away from being $10,000 new.

The whole reason they're trying to push electric cars so bad is because they have no fucking resale value past the 10 year mark, the batteries fucking die and then a replacement costs at least 50% of a new car, so you might as well buy a brand new one.

By buying an electric car you contribute to making the saudis bankrupt which is a step towards fixing the middle east and unfucking europe.

>mfw my 15 year old Honda gets 36mpg

The older Nissan Leafs are doing alright from what I've heard.

>he doesn't like the smell of gas

Not to mention you're just moving the exhaust from your car's exhaust pipe to the local power plant.

>Engine is more compact and weighs significantly less
Engines are nonexistent in electric cars.

Maybe then, but even then, it pulls the power from the grid which still needs fossil fuels. Though nuclear and natural gas will hopefully expand in use

>mechanically simpler
while this might be true speaking objectively, i feel the need to notify everyone that these are AC induction motors, and they are nowhere near as simple as a brushed or even brushless DC motor.
the basics of an internal combustion engine require basic common sense to understand, the basics of this require at least a vague attempt at understanding something we have degrees for.

No exhaust, charging, starting, fuel delivery, engine cooling systems to service and repair.
Flat torque curve beginning at zero rpm.
No engine idling while stopped in traffic.
Quieter.
Greener.

>much cheaper to maintain
>cheaper fuel
>faster acceleration
>less noisy

This is the best argument for electric cars I've heard yet

Electricity is much cheaper than gas, and the price is much more stable as well.

We don't even need graphene, if those glass batteries goodenough came up with are the real deal, then electric cars are a solved problem.

Gas or electric cars are shit. Hybrids just fucking werk though. I can go a full month without filling up on my regular commute.

>the basics of this require at least a vague attempt at understanding something we have degrees for.

Lithium is basically landfill safe.
The volume of material in a rechargable battery that will drive you're car for tens of thousands of miles will drive you're gas powered car a few hundred.
It also takes energy to drill, refine and deliver all that gasoline.
Not all electric power is generated by burning coal btw.

Your making it hard to take u srsly.

You like breathing exhaust fumes? Bruhh

The price of electricity will quickly skyrocket to match that of gas as soon as they figure out all their customers are sapping the power grid to charge their cars.

Also, do electric cars even have serviceable parts or maintenance procedures of any kind?

You can probably still kill yourself and your two children with an electric car but it'll be much harder to do

It's not like I go out of my way to do it but they certainly smell good.

>muh global warming
Donald Trump is a chinese hoax created to make the rest of the world believe Americans are idiots.

I love the sound of electric cars accelerating. Sounds like butthurt Arabs going "REEEEEEEE"

What if they burn gas to meet the new electricity demand?

Well you're a weirdo. I don't think you'll find another person that enjoys the smell of a busy road in the city.

How the fuck is it harder to plow into a tree with an electric car than a real one?

>The price of electricity will quickly skyrocket to match that of gas
u4real?

If global warming isn't real why come Cirno is a nigger now??

All those statements are true.

>demand for electricity doubles
>prices won't fluctuate

u for real??

It just removes one of your options

I don't even know how bad it is in the city, I don't live in a shithole. When I'm walking behind a running car though it is pleasant, and I'm far from the only one who thinks that.

You'are'our missing the point. Yourarere illiteracy is what's concering.

You must be new here.

Why even bother replying to someone that specifically makes a remark about cities then? Are you daft?

Fewer trips to the gas station
Quiet
More torque:
>smoother, faster acceleration
>uphill driving is smoother
Huge battery means you don't have to jumpstart your car if you accidentally leave your headlights on

I drive a Honda Civic Hybrid, good stuff.

>biggest benefit of electric car is ZERO noise
>HEY LET'S ADD ARTIFICIAL NOISE TO HELP BLIND PEOPLE

FUCK YOU

Super conductor as battery!
Why do I keep hearing this!?

Something that lets electricity freely move as a next generation electrical storage container.

In fairness there are ways to close the loop and make these green, but realistically they won't happen due to cost and lack of public understanding.

Cities can be quite small, I live in one but the whole busy city streets suffocating you thing isn't a problem here so that doesn't really come to mind.

I like the sound of traffic though...

No you tremendous anal fissue, you must not understand the time and place for ironic you're or grammatically correct you're. I desperately wish btw was filtered to weebspeak like the rest of the urban nigger dialect desu senpai.

>Not to mention you're just moving the exhaust from your car's exhaust pipe to the local power plant.

U do know solar is taking over and fossil fuels are going extinct right?

So you basically forgot that smog exists for a minute?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_battery

I mean, we still have to wait and see, but considering it's the guy who basically wrote the book on batteries and gave us the lithium battery, I think some deference is in order.

>no engine sounds
>benefit

Last I checked, 70% of the US's electricity comes from coal. Sure that number's going down but electric cars still aren't the green solution everyone's pretending they are.

Your pretty mad, arnt you.

>US
irrelevant

>70% of the US's electricity comes from coal.
wut?
eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

US is a backwater shithole 3rd world hickville

Look at places like China or Germany where Solar/Renewables are already 80% of the overall power output

Doesn't really come to mind when you've never had to deal with it.

>US is irrelevant on a US image board
ebin

>last I checked

Fluctuation in price is quite different from skyrocket, dipshit. Also residental power is already expensive as fuck since it's always peak demand generation which is expensive. If people starting charging their cars at home utilities could easily meet that demand w/o getting near "gas prices" or whatever the fuck that means. I'm going to assume it means cost per mile.

>last I checked
When did you last check? THE 1980s?

>air pollution doesn't come to mind when someone says something about air pollution
Bruh how?

>Coal = 30.4%
>Probably just a typo.

Just going off the figures I read in school a few years ago.

Like I said, brah, smog doesn't really come to mind when you've never had to deal with it.

Love how you picked the cars that take premium

Yeah ok kid, we get it, you're a retard, now go somewhere else.

xD

And no one can afford it. The press and government now refer to electricity as a "luxury."

the reality is that electric cars are shunned by the oil industries and combustion engine manufacturers

it prevents our reliance on foreign oil
with energy you are able to aquire it in alot more ways locally and even transfer it between devices

electric cars are also incredibly quiet and 100% torque compared to a combustion engine that has a bell curve of acceleration

electric cars are also way less moving parts and way more effience considering you dont require a transmission for reverse gearing or acceleration gears because the acceleration is equal to the direct energy that is input

the power to weight ration is also greater with substaintionally less weight and height of motors compared to engines

imagine 4 small motors directly linked to every wheel instead of one central giant engine

electric cars are the true freedom where average people can aquire fuel without manufacturing plants and chemistry knowledge

the tech has been viable since the 70s and all the american motors made a pact to keep it out of the market

theres alot of documentaries about electronic cars being surpressed or trying to create a stigma of tree hugging

Better torque, simpler, no need for complicated transmission, less maintance.

Fuck off, reddit

>China or Germany where Solar/Renewables are already 80% of the overall power output
PROVE IT.

maybe if poorfags cant afford it it means they deserve to die of exposure and/or live in the dark with no refrigeration

fuck them progress is more important

not an argument, reddit

underrated and valid point.

Not many cars that accelerate close to what a Tesla can burn regular, tho.

Never said it was, I was just telling you and your reddit spacing to fuck off.

>filename
( •_•)

15k people died in France during a heatwave because they think ac is unhealthy.

Not many cars that have the range of a Tesla either.

Lol

>the tech has been viable since the 70s

I was referring to the Graphene craze, that needs to die.

I could see these working as large single shot capacitors, given the complex structures glass can take, nano surface energy is no joke although I don't see a regulation mechanism. But when I got to the part about insane recharge speed and longer cycling I called bunk. Power through put on that level would melt many things, and a glass that complex would have a low melting point. Even if it didn't melt a mere softening would allow new lower energy states to be reached and you would get a run away crystallization killing the battery, and likely an explosion given the energy concentration as those states drop.

I've seen this before with Rustum Roy and his later talk about liquid water memory states, oddly similar to this.

Turn signals are for people you don't see

Fuck off reddit

also combustion engines require
seals
tubes
filters (air, oil, fuel)
pulleys/belts
gears
bearings
lubricants

multiple points of failure and deterioration

Never been there.

Why do people even honk after they get cut off?
You're swerving quickly to avoid a collision, is it just anger?
They're not going to stop their shitty behavior by being honked at, they cut you off because they know full well you're gonna stop at their whims.

GM/Ford spotted

youtube.com/watch?v=CRwEXaHTwsY

nice try shill

my city is all hydro senpai

lifters
springs
valves
pistons
pumps

You are reddit

Are you telling me virgins are the best and most considerate drivers?

Renewable energy requires 79 man hours of work to produce the same energy of one coal worker.

>thinking manufacturers wouldn't increase the cost by $10,000 while simultaneously having manufacturing cost subsidized further by the government

At least act like you're not retarded.