Linux is finally user-friendly

KDE developers have been working on little things like this, which make Linux a system ready for the general public.

I hope that soon they'll achieve the same state of usability perfection already achieved by Gnome.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/kde/comments/6g2t5d/kde_ships_kde_applications_17042/din33rg/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

KDE is nice an- *crashes*

Try it again and stop spreading false information

KEK get out of here, faggot. KDE is probably the most stable at the moment. I'm saying that as a GNOME user.

You joke, but they actually released a broken update that made computers unusable yesterday: reddit.com/r/kde/comments/6g2t5d/kde_ships_kde_applications_17042/din33rg/

The most stable way to get a bricked computer if you don't know how to fix it from the terminal. See

I upgraded yesterday and nothing broke. Just because it happened to some redditors doesn't mean that it happened to all the users

>the most stable
stop bullshitting. KDE is a buggy mess. things randomly crash all the fucking time, like kwin or Dolphin

When was the last time you used it? Since 5.9 everything is completely stable

If you don't use KDE you're probably a brainlet.

They still haven't fixed the thing where sustained writes to a USB drive can stall your system.

Dolphin also stalls when you do sustained writes to a disk and then try to view that disk through dolphin. It would be ok if dolphin just showed a loading icon, but the entire program just freezes.

Usually KDE recovers from a crash within 10 seconds for me, so the couple crashes a week aren't a real problem for me.

actual KDE user here. This is not false information.

>KDE is probably the most stable at the moment.
I found XFCE to be the most stable.

Today I installed Kubuntu, it was a D I S A S T E R.
Not only it was slow as fuck, but it also crashed like 6 times in about 2 hours of use.

>Kubuntu

that's the problem. Use KDE neon for a just werks KDE.

>close Kwrite
>all taskbar KDE applications stop working one by one

switched to cinnamon can't complain

I don't know here
has been living, but
is right, KDE is buggy shit. tried it, never again. Currently happily running Gnome on Gentoo.

How do I completely disable a discrete GPU a d use the Intel integrated graphics ?
Tried many things but none worked /were stable
Dell XPS 9560
i7 7700hq
GTX 1050
>elementary OS

nouveau.modest=0
in kernel boot params

I'll try thanks

correction

nouveau.modeset=0

>KDE
I wouldn't argue it was good for normies even before this, not that I use KDE myself

Added nvidia and nouveau.modeset=0 to grub.
I don't think it worked that well.
It seems I have 6-8W discharging than before but I need to check.
Thanks anyway m8.

> I found XFCE to be the most stable.
My boy

NVM it seems to work well but still consumes way more that Intel mode only on PRIME (which caused me freezes)
It's quite blizzard.
The card doesn't appear anymore on lspci 3D but the fans still start to spin, and the power consummation is still quite high.
But thanks a lot I now know where to search.

What distro do you guys recommend to use KDE for? Please not Arch or Gentoo.

I use KDE NEON and i have no problems. I got some on other distros with kde but neon just werks

>sudo apt-get install thunar
>sudo thunar

Done and bypassed

nixos

Damn bro, how did you manage to invent a time machine to travel back to 2014?

>Linux is finally user-friendly
>terminal stuff
ok

>Please not Arch or Gentoo.
What's your problem?

Antergos and pick kde at install

KDE Neon

>xf-screentear-c being best
they cant even get their compositor up to date

Nvidia bumblebee

Just use the Nvidia compositor, works perfectly

>Since 5.9 everything is completely stable
>needed to get to .9 to become stable
>soon 6.0 plasma2
>everything broken again
my sides

>can't run dolphin as root
but why

>Usually KDE recovers from a crash within 10 seconds for me, so the couple crashes a week aren't a real problem for me.
are you a recovering windows addict?
how is crashing at all acceptable to you?

He's tolerant to degeneracy and shitskins.

>Usually KDE recovers from a crash within 10 seconds for me, so the couple crashes a week aren't a real problem for me.

Antergos

nothing false about it KDE still has a bunch of problems especially with panels

KDE stable hahahahahahahahahaha

anything thats not arch or gentoo and not KDE

>KrashDE

so you dont fuck your system because anyone using kde must be stupid or 5

For what purpose would you need to run Dolphin as root?

For what purpose would you need to run as root?

to delete something that you need root perms and dont fell like doing sudo rm or su and then rm

Administrative tasks through the terminal like a civilized person.

Sounds absolutely retarded, doing a sudo rm would actually be faster.

this

Give me one good reason to install KDE

>Even if it was user friendly I would not use it because all of those pedophiles on linux.

You can not argue this.

while i agress it's *usually* a bad idea to run a graphical file manager as root, that's beside the point
root shouldn't be stopped from doing anything should one wish to do so
this is such a ... proprietary thing to do

KDE is unstable bloat shit piece of cunt fuck shit...
I'm stating this as KDE user.

It's the most advanced DE on Linux, supports HiDPI out of the box, has animations that scale with your refresh rate, easy to get rid of screen tearing by enabling Vsync and is the most customizable without having to edit config files. And many of the K app are actually really good at what they do and integrate well with each other so what you end up getting is a modern Windows desktop metaphor combined with a tight macOS sense of integration between applications and desktop.

Well, it's Linux, use file manager that allows you to run as root if you want to do so.

Pedos breathe oxygen.
Checkmate

The answer to all of that is who cares and haahahahahahahhahah

Not an argument

Its just that the argument is full of retarded statements and bullshit

what a fucking farce

well as a GNOME user you prolly think GNOME is stable as well so I'm just gonna ignore your opinion if that's ok

literally the only 100% stable DE is xfce and that is only if you don't touch anything. KDE is definitely among the UNstable ones.

それは議論ではない。

but it is

Xubu masterrace
>inb4 muh systemd

I used KDE for a while, and I did have issues sometimes with stability.
For example, if I'm running a Windows VM in VirtualBox, in KDE, sometimes the window would just instantly vanish because it crashed. So I'd have to reopen and boot up the VM again.

So I decided to switch to gnome + wayland.
In many ways, gnome seems more stable. But it's still not without its issues.

gnome is a lot less customisable, and it has some strange design choices I'd like to change but can't.
And there are things that don't work in Wayland, or are finicky.

For example, taking screenshots. A lot of screenshot programs don't work on Wayland. I liked using shutter.

Also, the clipboard acts weird sometimes. I often need to work on Microsoft Word/Excel in the Windows VM.
If I try to copy and paste charts from Excel to Word, sometimes it doesn't copy the chart as a chart, but as an image.
And sometimes copying flat out doesn't work, and sometimes it does.
Sometimes I try to copy something, and I go to paste it, and I find that it's pasted the thing that I'd already copied previously, and not the thing I'm trying to copy now.

it always has been

KDE is not much better than any of the other DEs in terms of bugs and crashing. basically all linux DEs will fuck up at some point, so just reboot and 10s later you're back.

Not sure why everyone parades their favourite DE so much. You should be in the terminal most of the time, and there is little difference in terminal operation across DEs

You're looking at KDE like it's bringing Windows functionality and MacOS usability and UX to Linux. I take issue with that since KDE doesn't have the manpower to really make a convincing argument in that way. How can you tell someone that you're creating a unified desktop experience when there isn't enough developer time to fix the numerous visual bugs that appear without warning? It's like the Pontiac Fiero trying to be like a Lambo, it's nice but no one thinks it's a Lambo.

Anyways, in my opinion a simple, rugged, fast interface is the way to experience Linux. No notifications, no laggy visuals in the interface, runs fast as fuck and reboots in 10s. That's the Linux dream. Fast and light. No nonsense.

>running anything under root
>running anything involving x11 under root
>using the root shell for extended periods of time
They were right, you people really are fucking retarded.

is there any window manager that can remember window position like kwin?

I can't live without that but I hate KDE and its buggy panel

Explorer.exe has so far crashed only a handful of times in a year

Why would you do that? Can't you install the Nvidia drivers? I'm actually curious because I'm thinking of getting an xps 15 too but if the 1050 doesn't work with Linux might as well just get the xps 13 one instead of the 15.

>make Linux a system ready for the general public.
Can KDE run windows games on Loonix?

can hotdog run potato on carrot?

>shouldn't be stopped from doing anything should one wish to do so
This. At worst it should warn you in case you forgot to su back and ran it as root by accident.

Your fault for using nVidia.

suse

Always loved KDE, if only because it doesn't have a stupid ass GNU/GNOME attitude

>software versions are decimal

"Finally"
That shit was happening even before 2014

Linux MAY BE user friendly, but at WHAT PRICE?

Is there ANY distro that ships a working desktop, WITH filemanager, browser, mediaplayer, wifi-support, hotpluggable drives, printer and scanner support - BUT DOES NOT include systemd, dbus, polkit, pulseaudio, gsettings, gconf, dconf, networkmanager, keyring? Is there any?

I could compile gentoo with the right flags, but I am just to fucking lazy. I love my binary distros.

Even slim and wicd usually need dbus! I mean WTF.

I get the best results from debian LXDE and sysvinit installed and everything that sucks removed via dpkg -r --force-depends SHIT.

But even then, there are so many fucking errors because everything just depends on everything, I HATE THAT SHIT. It does not have to depend on everything. Even nemo runs fine if you don't try to connect network servers - because they fucking need gvfs which depends on fucking dbus which needs systemd.

So what is the price of a user friendly Linux?

I'll tell ya - it's Windnux+PoetterSoft

But what if I want to run it as root

What the fuck

>depends on fucking dbus which needs systemd
dbus has nothing to do with systemd.

Not dbus itself, but systemds dbus library.

Nevertheless: On a typical one user pc, I cannot think of any software that would ALWAYS REQUIRE a messagebus in the form of dbus. Optional? Fine.

Dbus is mostly a convinience thing.
Using it as hard dependency makes things easier on the applications that use it, since they don't have to abstract over the IPC they use.

And honestly, I think most things not asuming single user systems, but being able to do multiuser systems by default is a good thing.
It can be a bit more difficult to set up, but I for example really like how easy it is to decouple music player, torrent application and actual user from each other by means of users.

>but systemds dbus library
You mean sd-bus? I don't think it's use is that common outside of systemd.
You may be thinking of logind, which is systemd service that is interacted with over dbus.

Create a file
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-video.conf
Add these two lines:

blacklist nouveau
blacklist nvidia

Rebuild your initramfs:
On Arch you need to use the mkinitcpio thing.
On Gentoo you need to use genkernel or whatever you use.
On fedora you need to use dracut
Don't know about others.

Finally, reboot.

This is a permanent change until you delete the file and rebuild initramfs, if you want to do it temporarily, then just add this to your boot parameters:
modprobe.blacklist=nouveau,nvidia

>ble
yes

You know - that all right. Really. If you need it, you should and could get it.

But why the fucking hard dependencies? On each normal DE there is a whole bunch of stuff that is only there for one fucking application. For example gvfs. You need it (mostly) for your filemanager. Why does your filemanager hard depend on it. And why does gvfs hard depend on dbus. And why does my filemanager hard depend on gconf. Why is not storing its settings in a fucking textfile under $HOME/.config/$FILEMANAGER.$EXT?

And do you know what the best fucking joke is:
Pulseaudio and Poetters "it is network transparent" when at the same time the same community wants to abolish X in favour of something "yeah, no network transparency - X does not have that, too, you know... - but you can RDP".

WTF?

Granted, logind may actually be the main reason for the dependencies as found in apt. But that is not at all better in my opinion.

the way X is used nowadays isn't network transparent
and old native X network transparency is chatty as all fuck, and VNC/Xpra is literally faster

Opensuse

VNC is not literally faster. Are you fucking stupid?
X is not used right - you are correct.
Time for X12 so that it can be network transparent again. And BTW: most software that is written in a way that utilizes X wrong, simply does not make any sense over the network: browsers, mediaplayers, games...

>But why the fucking hard dependencies?
Because IPC(well, any IO) is hard and annoying.
Abstracting over it to support multiple IPC systems is something nobody wants to do.

>And why does my filemanager hard depend on gconf
Because it's intended to be used with gnome, where gconf is common.
But I agree, this is really annoying. This could be fixed by whatever library binds into gconf to be able to do a traditional config file in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME.

pulse is a fucking joke.
The network part of pulse is even weirder than normal pulse, believe me, I run it.

What does apt use logind for?

God damn, dbus is just some IPC protocol. It's not really anything to get worked up about.
If you actually look into what dbus does, you'll realise that it's actually a good thing. It allows various applications written by different people to interoperate MUCH more easily.
It allows for much more coherent interface. For example, try write a program which will make some arbitrary music player that a user has installed change track.

i bet you ware using firefox, just disable acceleration

X11 is fucking crap. Also, you clearly don't know anything about Wayland and how it actually works.
There is absolutely nothing stopping someone from writing a wayland compositor that is fully network transparent with a remote compositor.