/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-250-Closed-Back-Reference-Studio-Tracking-Headphones-/263029522104
ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-Headband-Headphones-Gray-/272710559309
wooaudio.com/products/wahps.html
reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/
innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH1840.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=Zvireu2SGZM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What is the second best headphone on the market behind the HD600?

HD650

so don't use them on a bike but doing it till your head hurts is ok!?

fuck that. my IEMs don't isolate so much that I can't listen on my bike at reasonable levels.

i'm here to fap to anime

q/k701, k702

assuming you mean within reasonable price.

Stop recommending this garbage.

lmao there actually are people who think that HD600 would be an upgrade over the DT880s.

Sennshills, everybody.

HD600 > DT880 > K701

That's the consensus.

Help a nigga out

>Budget
Ideally around $60, but can go up to $120
>Location
US
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Full size
>Comfort level
Anything that doesn't makes my ears hurt
>Sound signature
Neutral, as much isolation as possible.
>Past headphones
-Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones: they were too small and didn't liked the sound, the noise cancelling shit barely did anything. Waste of $250
-Sony MDRV150: Really liked the neutral sound, isolation could have been better. Lasted 8 years until they fell apart and my cat destroyed the cable.
-Currently using some no brand chink headphones after the loss of the previous ones. Shit sucks.

Also I fucking hate headphones that die because of the cable, so any recommendations with detachable cable or even wireless would be good.

Even if it's an upgrade, people are delusional if they think it's some massive upgrade. DT880 to HD800 would be a significant upgrade, not HD600.

post more lews sonico

Tfw new headphones

ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-250-Closed-Back-Reference-Studio-Tracking-Headphones-/263029522104
ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-Headband-Headphones-Gray-/272710559309

>alternatively
Status Audio CB-1
Brainwavz HM5

HD600 has objectively higher fidelity than DT880 or HD800.

>I'm poor

Source? Because InnerFidelity's frequency response doesn't show that.

>independent of direction curve compensation
Wow, it's fucking nothing.

Okay, so what's your source? I showed mine so go ahead and show me a more reliable source.

I want some really rugged headphones that are cheap

Like £30 kind of cheap, they don't have to sound good I just want to use them and fall asleep with them on or accidentally sit on them or have them fall on the ground without shoddy plastic breaking or snapping.

I was using hyperx cloud2s for this but they've became so gross and old it's time to replace them.

Is there any way to replace my ath cushions with new ones?

So, I found my WH303 Walkman headphones while sorting out shit to donate to charity.

The built in speakers are actually pretty loud. I kinda like it.

What's the most Gucci headphone stand?

>soundstage
>real

If it's not real then what is it?

wooaudio.com/products/wahps.html

all aluminum aesthetic desu

Looking for advice

>Budget
around 80 euros, flexible
>Location
Slovakia. A good comparison site is heureka.sk but ordering from Amazon and other international sites is not a problem
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Full sized, on or over ear
>Open or closed
Ideally open but closed is fine
>Comfort level
Doesn't matter. Reasonably comfortable.
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
Some generic gamestop headset which I can't find a link to. It was quite perfect, fit all the above requirements but it broke.

800s are on special for only $1500 aud, should i go for it?

clean that shit

Sure.

Try again.

HD800 is a downgrade from both HD600 and DT880.

Tyll's compensated measurements suck. Consider raw ones.

No. Get a DT880/K701 instead.

AKG K52 or K72. You won't go bald from these and they are comfy.

they look really cheap, at $200 i cant imagine they even sound good

They look cheap but they're more resistant and durable than most headphones out there. Sound quality matches their look: simple and sober.

Is using a hot glue gun to reattach my iems stress reliefs to the housing a bad idea? Superglue and tape do not work.

Why them?

Literally the only reply to all of these "should I..?" -questions. You're only going to collect autistic audio novice opinions otherwise which might not reflect at all on your ideas of a good headphone.

I just ordered mine

LCD-2 or HD800 or SR-L700 for weebshit/jpop? Upgrading from HD600.

Honestly I'd take the 800 over the others simply due to comfort.

LCD series - Heavy
STAX - Barbie house build quality and those fucking pads

I would say find a way to listen to them all first. They all have their own unique sound response. Also, in my opinion the stax is very comfortable but yes it's built like shit. Shouldn't be an issue if you're careful though.

As for my question, how trustworthy is this site?
reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/

All those headphones are straight downgrades from HD600.

What do we do about these HD600 fanboys? You can't discuss any headphones without these retards acting like the HD600 is God's gift to Earth

EQ'd HD800.
Ignore them.

What's annoying is how HD600 is yet to be beaten, despite 1997.
I hate it too, but I have to recommend HD600. There's no alternatives to it worth talking about.

Are you the guy from the unboxing thread? Do you like them?

At the price point, I'd agree that the HD 600 (and 650) are kings.

But it's undeniable that there are 'better' headphones.

>But it's undeniable that there are 'better' headphones.
Such as?

Focal Utopia.

Not as neutral as the HD600. Just another overpriced product that should be $200-300.

Just don't reply.

>Budget
$150, up to $200 if need be
>Location
US
>Source
PC, laptop, phone
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Either will do
>Comfort level
Doesn't matter
>Sound signature
V-shaped

Beyer Custom Studio.

Snap-posting usually clears them out for a bit. The other anons which usually do it have been absent the last couple of threads though. They need to be reminded their headphones are shit and made of chinkshit plastic.

Sennheisers don't snap.

the hd600 isn't any more neutral than a bunch of headphone that cost more and some less. it's just that mid-centric deviations from neutral and ones that have a similar upper-mids into highs response are rare. so people consider the hd600 "more properly neutral" or "special" because they like the sounds of it's deviation more. probably because favoring the mids and having a soft sound overall gives a greater impression of balance to more people vs something that deviates from neutral about the same amount but has a bright or warm signature. even just having much flatter bass, which many headphones do, should place those in range of the hd600 in terms of overall neutrality but people dismiss that. what people really mean when they say neutral and connect that to a headphone they evangelize for is "it sounds neutral in the areas that seem more important to me for some reason", not "I did all the math in every area and overall it's more neutral and sig doesn't matter". if the hd600 were truly perfect, people wouldn't want to buy other headphones that have flatter bass or different highs response, but they consistently do when they have the means. I would too and I own the hd600. I love it but it has obvious faults to anyone who has used and owns/owned many headphones.

Name 5 headphones more neutral than the HD600 then.

Snapcuck please leave.

What's the soundstage like on the HD598s and HD600s? I'm looking to pick up a pair to play a lot of FPS games with, and wasn't sure how easily it would be to pick out positional audio. Wouldn't be using an amp.

Why 5?
Audeze LCD-1

Very interesting headphones. They look to be HD650s, but with a replaced headband. Any more information on this pair of headphones?

>Having to mod Sennheisers to prevent them from snapping
Lmao

Looks like an MDR-XD400 headband

>Audeze LCD-1
kek, try again.

Lmao. Prove me wrong.

Holy shit I haven't checked this thread in like 6 months, but this mentally ill poster is still spamming his fake "Snapheiser meme". Do you just sit in this thread all day spamming this meme?

Get help.

>Only one user
You're delusional, user.

Yes. Pull them off, order some new ones, put them on. Not hard. Google shit next time.

Which way is the correct one for HD600/650?

>Neutrality

Fuck off, get out. Even in harman's study there were adjustments/deviations for bass and treble that people changed, but it's not even about that. Every music is produced differently and mastered differently, most of the classical music doesn't have strong treble or sub bass unless it's an organ, compare it to electronic music with lots of sub bass. There are headphones with peaks, more smooth FR and etc, but neutrality is meme. HD600 mids and lower treble is too forward for rock and some guitars, nor it has sub bass, that won't matter that much unless you listen to electronic music, altho bass overall isn't as tight as on other headphones.

Making the autistic snapposter angry is probably a significant reason why the HD600 is recommended so often here.

>Not using the snapheiser meme to trigger the autistic Sennheiser shills

kek

We all have headphone autism here.

I don't understand the hate.

I am very happy with my HD600.

Sure, but can you buy those right now? Thought so.

I am an HD600 owner.

When a better headphone comes out, I'll buy it.

Till then, HD600 is king, no matter the price point.

>Moving the goalpost
Lmaoing at your life

Not moving the goalpost, I admit that the LCD-1 is more neutral. But good luck finding one.

HD600s are the best headphones that money can buy sans the ER-4 dildos.

>Sure, but can you buy those right now?

Yeah I can because I'm not a poorfag.

/r/

>what I need it for:
business trip
Malaysia, South Korea, Arizona and back home
I don't even know what my starting and ending airport will be, nor if the flights I'll get will be direct. I still have time
What I do know is that I'll be spending a lot of time in the air
so...
>source
Laptop
Android smartphone
Transcontinental airplane
>sound quality
I barely care, I'm a pleb and I wouldn't recognize the difference if you'd explain it to me
so far I've bought the sub 10€ stuff they have next to the counter in your general electronics store
what I need is...
>noise cancelling and comfort
I may wear them for more than 12 hours in one go and may also wear them while sleeping.
I might even want to rest my head against the wall if I get a seat which allows it.
>Budget
I'd pretty much say open ended but think I should stay below 400€
my company will pay for half of my expenses if they are reasonable

That is to say, I have also considered noise cancelling ear muffs one would use on a construction side, wrapping them in cloth for minor comfort and wear my 10€ ones underneath.

Sure.
I have this really nice medicine. Now, sign here.

This. I'm not disingenuous when I recommend the HD600 as it really is a great headphone, but the snapheiser guy makes a truly fun playtoy sometimes.

There are many better headphones. Just use EQ. There's no excuse for buying chinkshit plastic HD600s.

/hpg/ always has the best op pics

Are planars a meme
Looking at LCD-3

No. They're great.
>inb4 autistic HD600 shills sperg out about how you can't hear bass distortion

I'm looking at some high-end headphones too. Currently debating between HD800 or a planar like one of the LCD headphones. I already have a DT880 and HD600 so maybe a planar would add some variety.

This HD 600 + Fulla 2 is just a shitty as the K702 + FiiO E10K we had some time ago. You aren't helping, you aren't even interested in giving good suggestions. You are just repeating your own narrow ideas of what an ideal headphone is to anons who don't necessarily share the same ideas.

That's clearly more neutral than the HD 600. SRH1840 is anohter or ER-4S, ER-4PT, ER-4B... who cares? If you want a neutral pair of headphones, you'd break out an equalizer to do just that. Jacking off on some random response plot is idiotic, recommending the headphones to other people just because they adhere to your standards of a good headphone or are "neutral" and thus good or even the "best" on is even more so.

That makes it worse. If you want it to stop, you don't reply. Snap-posting is something you should just report on sight.

Looking at the technology is a meme if you are shopping. Look for things which are telling of the headphone performance and what you like. Might be LCD-3, might not.

I already have HD800, was looking at the LCD-3 to step into planar.
If you enjoy the HD600, just go for the 800. The soundstage is amazing. Bass is weak, but everything else is so clear. I jumped to them from a pair of 650s.

Bose QC35.

HD600 is the best, most neutral and most well-built open headphone on the market.

wins the thread, officially.

>. SRH1840 is anohter
Similar response to HD600, but extremely high (10%) THD. Distortion is too much, hard to look at these seriously.
innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH1840.pdf
>ER-4S, ER-4PT, ER-4B... who cares?
IEMs, apples to oranges.
>you'd break out an equalizer to do just that.
Sure thing, EQ can do marvels, but then you need the headphones AND the EQ. I don't know you, but most people expect to plug their headphones and have them sound good, without having to mess with postprocessing.
>recommending the headphones to other people just because they adhere to your standards of a good headphone
Some people here ask for recommendations, others give recommendations. Often enough, HD600 is recommended. For very good reasons.
>Snap-posting is something you should just report on sight.
Been doing that, it's indeed the right thing to do.
>Looking at the technology is a meme if you are shopping.
Agree 100%, planar or electrostatic imply nothing else than a bump in price. Results is what does matter, and they're model per model, technology irrelevant.

Today in /hpg/ novices switch from shilling a popular headphone into transducer type meme.

If you tried EQ subbass into a headphone without it any wouldn't that cause it to distort heavily?

The "subbass" would be highpassed (read ignored) and, if eq was done properly, that is, without the increase in subbass affecting the overall volume, it would sound quieter.

I thought as a EE, I'd be more knowledgeable on this audio hobby but I'm still so lost. I understand these DAC and amp architectures but why does it seem so hard to find some objective specs to compare all these DACs/amps? Frequency response, distortion, slew rate etc. are stuff I can usually find but it's hard to tell how a 5-10% difference is going to actually sound when you listen to it. At this rate, I have no idea if these high-end DACs/amps are even worth it or just pure marketing meme because all the testimonials you hear from people is just full with fluff words and phrases that almost have no meaning.

I really wish there were stores I could go to where I can actually try these equipment out before buying it.

>pure marketing meme
That's what it is.

I honestly think most modern equipment out there is audibly transparent. Meaning, the distortion is so low you'll never hear it unless you really over drive it, the frequency response so flat, noise inaudible, etc. Of course this is just my perception maybe some people out there really can hear the 0.1db differences in frequency response or the 0.1% distortion though.

Also, there's NEVER going to be a difference as huge as 5-10%. If you're an EE whip out your oscilloscope and test a few amplifiers. The differences in measurement will be very small which is why I believe they're hardly audible.

youtube.com/watch?v=Zvireu2SGZM
Watch this if you really want to research more from someone who knows it all.

I've EQ'd flat sub-bass into multiple open dynamics with great success and no noticeable distortion to my ears.
>The "subbass" would be highpassed (read ignored)
This might be the case for headphones with their own amp/dac inside, like wireless headphones, but for regular old headphones no, this will not occur, and this can be verified through measurements.