Is Samsung the Sony of the 90s?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_sales
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sony had more shit

Sony had more hit

i think sony was the sony of the 90s

this

...but if you mean "is samsung today like sony in the '90s?" you're kinda right because it's the leading company in many areas, but to be honest I think samsung lacks the build quality of sony products (in the '90s, now it's shit)

>is Samsung good
Hell no.

sony had more hit

This.

Back in the 90's we didn't have Sony exploding phones or exploding washing machines, etc.

They make generally higher quality products for higher prices.

Sony in the 90's was such that they offered a competitive price for a product with quality that dwarfed every single competitor on the market. There was little real competition at all.

is their still some hope for sony in the modern day world. I really do like their newer tvs

Fuck no.

Where does RCA fit in the mix?

Their phones are still the best, imo. Performance-wise the Xperia XZ Premium runs circles around the Galaxy S8.

I miss weird Sony shit

No, Sony had great quality back in the day, Samsung never has been great.

Sony has this inexpressible, Jap-cool appeal, something which Samsung as a brand has never been able to develop. Samsung just comes across as a boring, bland, yet-another-asian-tech-company of our decade.

Sony has a few niche markets where they do something really well that the competition doesn't.

Sony has great mirrorless camera technology. Compared to Canon's and Nikon's usual bulky DSLRs with a lack of features year after year, Sony has been able to carve a niche for itself by offering just about the same feature sets, at almost the same performance, but in a much more compact camera body.

TVs are similar. They're one of the few manufacturers that build in decent audio in their TVs anymore (not that it matters since real home theater speakers are better by a longshot) and they generally have low input lag and low motion blur, so they're generally good choices for console gamers who want a TV rather than a better, but smaller TN monitor.

Console is similar. Compared to Xbox and Nintendo, they have the best graphical fidelity, at a reasonable cost, and have the widest third-party support from game developers. Consoles still don't matter since it's a dying market though.

Phones is similar. One of the few phone manufacturers that was making relatively compact phones in a market of 5.5"+ giants, along with being one of the first to focus on water resistance. They're relatively light on bloat from the manufacturer, too, but it's still best to wipe it clean and install CyanogenMod or LineageOS.

Overall Sony's OK, but their company and assets are much larger than they can really sustain and have been hemorrhaging from the tech giant they were in the 90's and continue to do so today as they've waned down to be an average competitor in very competitive and low-margin markets.

This right here sempai.

>it's still best to wipe it clean and install CyanogenMod or LineageOS.
It's a sane solution for the vast majority of the Android phones on the market except Nexuses and I personally like the mod from OnePlus.

>tfw those less visible but still noteworthy Asian brands like LG, Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, Toshiba, SHARP, Hitachi, NEC and others

feeling nostalgic tbeh

>Sony of the 90s
The Sony of the 90's was known for its massive tech innovation, quality, and relatively mild premium for what you got. Samsung is known for stealing everybody else ideas, quality but pricey TVs and phones, ugly chaebol nonsense, attempting to pull FRAND licenses in a desperate attempt to sue Apple, and trying to cuck Google out of Android.

Sony had style and a name that instantly said 'Best fucking Japanese electronics'

Samsung has some shit design choices and says 'Korean shit that might explode'

found the weeb

Don't forget the blackmail.

Samsung has gone as far as blackmailing reviewers for better scores.

Over 50 million consoles sold
>dying market

Both Sony and Samsung are megacorporations that make most of their money by scamming their respective countries' populations.

The main branch of both companies is the insurance division.

Electronics, especially for export, are just a drop in the bucket.

Allow me to explain. Consider the popularity and sales revenue that the PS2 was able to manage. This was the peak of console gaming. Ever since then, no console manufacturer has had more successful launches than their previous gen systems.

Wii U sold less than Wii, 3DS sold less than the DS, Switch isn't turning out that much better.

PS3 sold less than the PS2, and PS4 seems to be doing just about the same as the PS3, but not any better.

Xbox One isn't selling any better than the 360 did.

The market isn't gaining additional traction, hence why I say that console is a dying market, in the same way that Sony is a dying company. They'll continue making products, for sure, but they're nowhere near the peak they used to be, and it doesn't look like console gaming as a whole is getting any more popular (for better or for worse).

Despite le peecee master rayce concerns over bad console ports, I think in general it still bodes well for PC gamers when console market is doing well. The last time we actually had a new Valve game was when consoles mattered. There's still a relative lack of good PC games coming to market, just as there's a relative lack of good games coming to console.

It's like the game dev industry stopped caring a while back and indie game devs came to shit on it. (That being said, there's a few hidden gems amongst indie games, but it's generally a poor quality market, developing shovelware that may get bought up by a few thousand Steam accounts, but never see more than an hour of play.)

i reckon a big part of the change in gaming is due to greatly increased online multiplayer/social gaming, which causes people to have to play the game everyone else is playing, which results in fewer games being played overall
like, just look at how hard it is for an MMO to take off nowadays, nobody wants to play an MMO without thousands of others playing the same one, and nobody wants to leave WoW to try something new because everyone is on WoW and has invested a shitton of time on it already

What changed?

Sony and the Japanese electronics industry became too arrogant and pricey.
They got their shit wrecked by the Koreans who built products of equal quality for much lower prices.
The same thing will happen to Korea so China will take over the electronics industry completely.

MMOs exhibit network effects huh....

don't get me wrong, MMOs is particular have always had this to some degree, all the way back to MUDs, but earlier on tens or hundreds of active players was enough, both for the functionality of the game, and the feasability of running it for a developer
it's harder to make something people are going to take seriously now with such a low player count

Most of it because normie kids are too lazy to use controller. They rather touch screen game on android like a game where u slide left or right to change his direction until he reaches giant Indian temple.

I used to play one that's retro by /vr standards: Tibia.

It's been "dying" for a long time now; got invaded by BRs and swedes, massive amount of bots inflated the economy, PvP changed and people left, it's honestly past it's peak. It's the only game where I had real social interactions with people, it used to be tough as nails back then and you needed friends to get anything done. You needed friends if you wanted to kill other players. I miss this social aspect of gaming.

But yeah, like you say, there are so many games nowadays people are spread out thin between them all, and eventually quit because of network effects, value of MMO is equal to the square of the amount of people playing it.

So does WoW still have this social aspect intact? I don't have to play it to guess that it's a heavily botted game with an inflating economy but what else is there? Eve Online is huge but it's pretty much a job.

PS4 is doing way better than the ps3 and even surpassing ps2 sales.
iirc PS4 had the best console launch in history.
NDS is from the same gen as ps3 and xbox and sold over 150M units.
Wii xbox360 and ps3 sales combined are higher than the previous gen sales (ps2 gamecube xbox)

Misinformation. Deliberately leaving out that the 360 outsold the original Xbox and the Wii outsold the GameCube. That leaves you with one generation of decline potentially, the 7th to 8th. However it's looking almost apparent that the PS4 will outsell the PS3. The PS4 is almost on par with PS2 sales at this point in its life, see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_sales for exact numbers.

My phone and tv are samsung. Both are great, in the case of my tv (65" smart) it's damn good picture. Also have sony products, my dvd player (one of the last great ones before blu-ray really took off) and my PS2 (which i still use). Brand name means little anymore, my mp3 player is a Rizu x02, a nice little player that costs like $20 on amazon. Could I bought an apple brand player? Sure but it'd cost me more and prob lacks all formats supported by the Rizu. Plus I'd be stuck with the whole itunes crap.

Every company large enough save money from providing their own employee benefits eventually becomes a financial services company with a small, irrelevant consumer division. That's why GM and Chrysler died in 2008.

sony in the 90s was good

>same cpu
>same ram
>runs circles around
what

Phone performance is mostly determined by thermal throttling, so phones with the same specs can actually behave quite differently depending on the case design and board layout.

[spoiler]test[/spoiler]