/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/i9 - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA/miners buying all RX570s)
>1070 - if on heavy sale-ish
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity/scratch disk/VMs
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board + case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/PsKCnn
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137141&cm_re=gt1030-_-14-137-141-_-Product
youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cgfYCy
pcpartpicker.com/user/rswosylus/saved/YxmvK8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>polaris card prices through the roof, no stock
>not even really worth trying to get into mining anymore
>NVIDIA doesn't support VESA adaptive sync

It is impossible to win.

Looking for a decent gpu that doesn't draw more than 60w and under $110. Also needs to have 2-4gb of vram, any suggestions?

the human eye can't see tearing beyond 120 FPS, you dummy

suicide

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/PsKCnn
I'd prefer the budget to not go above $600 CAD but with shipping and taxes it probably will be a bit over. Would a lower watt gold power supply be better instead of a 500w bronze? I have a few old 1TB drives that I could throw in in case that makes a difference in power usage.

>polaris card prices through the roof, no stock
There's some fucking faggots on amazon.ca selling for $1200+ CAD. FUCKING $1200+

Quick question.

Why are my benchmark scores so much better than everyone else's in this thread?

Best cooler for Ryzen overclocking?
Do AIO's have any possibility of leaking?
Gonna stay on stock for a while but i plan to invest in whatever is the best
performing cooler considering cooling technology seems to be advancing slowly.

>Best cooler for Ryzen overclocking?
A Cryorig H7 or better
>Do AIO's have any possibility of leaking?
Yes. Just like asking if any car will break down. That's a guarantee. It's not a question of if, but when.

Looking to buy a 144hz monitor to get the most out of my 1070. Is freesync a meme? AOC monitors seem to be the only budget 144hz monitors with freesync and they are fucking ugly.

Freesync isn't a meme. It works... but only with AMD Radeon graphics cards.
Since you have nvidia, you have to pay 3 times the price to get a G-sync monitor
Freesync doesn't work with nvidia user. Freesync is open-source. G-sync was made by nvidia and royalties must be paid.
>buying jewvidia

I just settled for a gt1030.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137141&cm_re=gt1030-_-14-137-141-_-Product

There is too many jewish tricks to step around when buying shit now a days. Thanks for the info though user.

Here's a tip for the future: AMD doesn't price-gouge you on fucking everything unlike Intel and nvidia. There's a reason there are AMD fanboys.

Hmm, Cryorig H7 is only 40euros here is it really that better than Wraith Spire?
>Yes. Just like asking if any car will break down. That's a guarantee. It's not a question of if, but when.
Well, i heard about some corsair watercooler leaks which made me anxious, so when we're talking about
when they will leak, will there be any hints so i can avoid it fucking up my system? what is the approximate
time it takes for AIO's to start leaking, do they have an expiration date?
I also don't care about noise levels which is why i only care about what cooler performs best and is the most
reliable in terms of build quality.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but current specs:
>i7 920 D0
>ASUS P6T Motherboard
>AMD 7970 3Gb
>3 x 2Gb RAM DDR3 1600MHz

I'm looking to move over to Linux as my desktop OS, but want to play games still. So, the best would be to play games through a virtual machine with GPU passthrough, but sadly ASUS fucked up my BIOS so it doesn't work.

What's the best way forward for me? Update CPU and Motherboard?

completely new build

I'm thinking about upgrading a friend's ancient desktop with an SSD, but he doesn't even use enough of the disk to warrant that. Does anyone know of a good SD card, or the like, to IDE adapter?

I see. So where do I swing, Intel or AMD?

AMD. The common recommendation is the new AMD Ryzen 5 1600 which has 6 cores, 12 threads, is priced to compete with the Intel Core i5 7600 and offers similar performance to the i7 7700k. As a bonus, the 1600 is unlocked as are ALL Ryzen chips so they can be overclocked. Just don't expect them to be overclocking pigs like Intel chips are. Current highest stable overclock on a 1600 is 3.9 or 4.0 GHz
The only intel chips worth anything are the budget Pentium G4560 and the Core i7 7700k since nothing beats it in single thread performance.

Hi fags. I need a GPU. I want to spend around 300$. Should I buy a 8GB RX 580 or should I wait for the vega series? There will be any card around that price? And how much would I have to wait?

>Should I buy a 8GB RX 580 or should I wait for the vega series?
The RX580 8GB is heavily recommended. Whether or not to wait for Vega is up to you
>There will be any card around that price?
Unknown. Minerfags have been snapping up all the AMD Radeon cards period. They're sold out everywhere.
>And how much would I have to wait?
For vega? Unknown. It's being announced next month in Las Vegas though.
For the RX cards to restock?
Again unknown. They sell out almost as soon as there's any stock. If you can find one for retail, snatch it.

One thing is that AMD Ryzen doesn't have onboard GPU, so I would need two GPUs.

I could buy a RX580 8GB Nitro+ at 280$. Is it worth it?

why two? Just one good one will be fine.
Do it

To do the GPU passthrough? One for Linux Desktop and one for Windows Desktop

no need. One will work for both. You can't run both OS at once.

Well I guess when gaming I wouldn't need a second screen, though this video here:
youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI

And you can see he has some sort of key combo, so I could switch out of gaming to the Linux desktop.

What graphics card do I buy if the only thing I care about is coil whine. 1060 would do, prefer 1070

maybe get an internal usb header and a usb stick?

GPU passthrough is a bit rocky right now on Ryzen, would recommend waiting a bit if you can. Most beta BIOS' fixed IOMMU grouping which is good, but a lot of people are complaining about poor GPU usage in games. It will probably be fixed soon, just keep in mind some people are having issues while Intel just werks.

Yeah, I'm a big AMD fan, but I wouldn't buy if I could get better performance from the other side.

Just costed up an Intel i7 6500, 16Gb RAM and an ASRock mobo for about £350. I've got other things going on so I can wait. Surprised that my i7 920 is almost half the speed of some of these processors. Impressive difference.

Planning to build my first pc

advice?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cgfYCy

>1050Ti for low budget

Nice

750 ti

>Surprised that my i7 920 is almost half the speed of some of these processors. Impressive difference.
It's not really all that impressive. Intel hasn't given us anything truly new in 10 years.
That's why Ryzen is such a huge deal. It's ALL new.

>not worth getting into mining anymore
You should go back and repeat 3rd grade math.

>1x 1080 Ti
it must be weird being poor.

Do you think it will still be profitable by the time you get all that shit online?

Let's consider we have a monitor with only VGA-input slot. I am currently buying 1050 Ti with DVI-D / DisplayPort / HDMI. What kind of cable I should buy to connect them properly? Can't buy new monitor right now.

Just DVI-D -> VGA? There is also DVI-I -> VGA, should it work?

Not spoon feeding you when you should be able to figure out something as simple as this out for yourself. Dumb people deserve to be poor.
Luckily for you, my taxes will at least pay for your welfare programs.

I think he's boasting that he bought the components in the image from his mining profits, not that they are going to be used for mining.

Yeah no. I watched the original Bitcoin rush crash and burn because corporations built giant racks of mining machines.

>5 video cards
Yeah no that's a mining rack.

I didn't notice there were five of them, I just saw Nvidia and assumed it would be AMD if he was going to mine with that computer.

okay, you're the smart one, sure

No, they'll be used for mining. 1070s are one of the best ETH mining cards unless you can actually get an RX570 cheap.
I also preordered 2 Radeon Pro Duo 32GB cards, $1000 each, but they aren't in stock yet even though they were supposed to come out yesterday.

I would not game on an Nvidia GPU. Shitty gimped image quality.

does the ryzen 1600 come with some thermal paste?

yes but replacing it with something better than artic silver 5 will helps temps a few C.

Cryorig CP7, Noctua NH-T1, or equivalent is good to go with.

My H55 motherboard just died. Wat do?

Enjoy your paper weight 4 years from now while all the AMD cards are still relevant

First obviously try to RMA, but if that's not in order you can generally find a cheap replacement if your motherboard is old and shit enough.

Be prepared to reinstall windows though.

I need help finishing my build. This is what I got so far with the help of others. It's my first PC build.
My budget is $1,500. I want to play Dark Souls, Terraria, TES, etc
Any advice on what I got?
Should I buy an ethernet cable and plug it into the wall jack behind my desk?
How should I get Windows 10?

go here: logicalincrements.com
you didnt post your build either so we cant comment.

You could easily go under budget with a B350 Motherboard, a 1600 CPU and an Nvidia 1080 GPU. As for Ethernet depends how your home internet functions.

Windows 10 can be acquired through the usual methods.

Should the user acquire magnets for faster acquiring?

What is a good Gold Plus power supply for the price?
Good alternative to the 1080ti? Would prefer AMD but the 1060ti seems good for the price, wanting to run all games on highest settings for another 4 years at least.
Good 1 TB SDD drives? Any brand i should avoid?

>SDD
SSD, my bad

Oops.

Try Super Flower Platinum King for the PSU

For the SSD, avoid any Toshiba/OCZ SSD

>119$ for speakers

Honestly I would upgrade to a 1080 anyways

This mobo is ~5 years old. I don't think I can RMA that mobo

should i get the downgraded ones for $50?
Also why should i get a 1080 and can you pls link me to a great one?

>logical shils
fuck them and fuck you retard.
>recommending the Core i5 over the Ryzen 5
complete an utter bullshit.

Is Seasonic Prime Gold 650 a good PSU?
I'm looking for something really quiet (whole system has one 140mm fan and no hdds) but their fanless psus are way too overpriced.

would a ryzen work well with a 1080ti?

I haven't built a pc for years and don't really trust amd

The drivers really hamper AMD's performance with nvidia cards.

Basically every Seasonic PSU is good.

Maybe when Nvidia fixes their drivers.
For 4K, it'll be fine, maybe better than Intel, but not as much better as it should be if their drivers worked right.

That's specific to some games and not specific to Ryzen, just 6+ cores CPUs

If Prime is their best series why is it cheaper than X and even G?
Also how quiet are their

any 1TB ssds you recommend?

opinions?

should i replace the stock fans on the case?
is there a better mobo option?

best motherboard manufacturer for linux?

Going to do the upgrade thing.

I already bought a Define R5 case because the HAF 912 is noisy with 5 HDDs in it.

Right now I'm thinking:

> AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
> ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
> 4x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1x8GB) 2666MHz

Just going to re-use PSU, SSDs, HDDs, RX 470 GPU and so on so those are the components I'm looking for some input on, specially the motherboard. Also, no Ryzen 5 1600 in stock in my country for some reason.

>32GB
>x370 motherboard
do you really need that?

Are there Ryzen workstation boards with 7 PCI-e x16 slots?

>32GB
a bit overkill don't you think?

any problems with that case? me and a buddy both own it, and both of our front panels shorted out.

>every Seasonic PSU is good.

I strongly disagree and don't even try to tell me the Seasonic SS-500ES isn't trash.

If it's Seasonic and it says 80 Plus Gold then it's probably good. They are a pretty big brand that supplies a whole range of OEM units. Their "80 PLUS Bronze" offerings aren't that good.

Cuz ur shit euro prices. Use ur brain.
The 650 RM, the one that's below it, is often $50-$65 in the US.

That is the old prime, though. The Platinum rated one is their new one and the Titanium the even newer one.

Retards shouldn't even be selling the G Series if they're going to sell it for more than the Prime.

Oh come on. You know what I mean.

Their newer mainstream models, M12II and G Series and up, are all good.

>both of our front panels shorted out.

Oh man, that's absolutely no good. Of course I don't have any problems with that case so far, it's still in the cardboard box. As I said, I'm still picking out a motherboard and CPU. I really don't like the idea that the front panel could short out.

32 GB is absolutely not overkill and anything less would be a downgrade.

If I need a x370 motherboard, on the other hand, is a valid question. It has two more SATA connectors than the B350, I don't like the idea of having to buy a add-in SATA card at some point. As for current storage, I use a 500 GB SSD in raid 1 with an old 750GB WD Black and 4 2TB HDDs in RAID5 in the current box and I plan to move / keep the storage.

what the hell do you do that requires 32GB of memory? For me 16 is enough and i rarely get passed half that.

These euro prices are not mine. My ruble prices are at least 50% more shit and there's fuckall decent psus available locally.
Seasonic X650 is over 140 euro here while there are neither primes nor any G series anywhere.

Alright. How the fuck do I counter GPU sag? Is gpu sag bad?

Is that required? Is GPU sag bad?

Redpill me on the ASUS motherboards, heard they're shit-tier, but can anyone clarify or correct me?

I've never had a problem but I also don't get huge graphics card. If you have a really long one with metal plating then it's probably more of an issue than with a typical non-enthusiast tier GPU.

Is there any reason to buy a GTX1070 instead of a GTX1080, even at FullHD resolution?

The GTX1070 didn't drop in price, and is sold for about 380€ here, while you can get a GTX1080 for 450€ sometimes.

>Is gpu sag bad?
My 980 is so heavy it crashes the drivers unless I hold it up. i'd try it out first, if it doesn't work by a GPU holder.

1080 is beyond overkill for 1080p, bt if the pricing is screwed up I guess go for it. You better at least downsample the hell out of everything.

I also ask, because of reselling value, which will be way better with the GTX1080.

And more and more games have GPU bottleneck.

The only reason to get a 1070 is because you already have a 1440p 60hz monitor and want to better ensure you stay above 60fps.

Nvidia knew it was a shitty value gaming GPU which is why they made it their best cryptocurrency mining card. Only miners and dumb cucks buy it mostly.

Still better than those Polaris cards.

No alternatives present

Sold my RX480 with profit.

Get a second hand GPU and wait for Vega?

Are there still problems with Ryzen + Nvidia?
I want a new GPU for 1440p and Vega takes too god damn long. It will be released at Siggraph which is from like 30.07. to 01.08. and only reference cards will be released at first, which means consumers will have to wait until probably september/october for custom cards. That's just stupid, fuck AMD.
If issues are resolved i will buy a 1080 since prices have dropped. Waiting for Vega isn't worth it. No custom cards at launch, stupid prices, bad availability and no game benchmarks, fuck this.

>waiting for Vega

Faggot

Why should I wait? HBM2 isn't for free, and by the time a decent Vega card is out, Volta is soon to be released, fuck off.

Going with the GTX1080 now.

why not TI?

Is there any reason not to get the 8gb RX 580 over the 4gb other than not wanting to pay the extra ~$40?

Yeah. It is out of stock.