What advantages does linux have over windows?

What advantages does linux have over windows?

Any reason why the average user shouldn't just use windows?

its better

Better privacy.

Not constantly being cucked and spied upon by others.

A Linux install configured and tweaked by a Linux veteran will provide an amazing experience.

Updates are not a nightmare to install and are not forced down your throat.
Also updates all of your applications and not just the OS.

Distraction free programming, build system, shells that actually are not placebo etc

It has a penguin

It's not NSA spyware. If you're not an American then you literally shouldn't use windows.

/thread

Lower battery life.
Updates that randomly break things.
Less hardware support.

>lower battery life
I have only ever seen Linux improve battery life

The average user that just uses web-based services 99% of the time doesn't care what their operating system is, and through a combination of design and tiny market share, using Linux instantly makes them enormously less vulnerable to the kind of dumb malware average users fall victim to.

Honestly OP, GNU/Linux isn't best for people like you. No offense, but it is just harder to use and requires a lot more technical knowledge to set up, configure, and make work properly. The most important reason to use it is that everybody has access to the source code to most every part of of the operating system and kernel. Anyone may audit the code, make changes, and legally redistribute those changes. If it isn't clear why this may be such an important advantage, then it is definitely not for you. Instead of learning to use it, just be content with large corporations such as Microsoft, Apple, and Google tracking, storing, and trying to monetize everything you do on your device: every keystroke, file you create or download, website you visit, picture you take, clip of audio you record. Don't worry about stuff like that. There is nothing to fear. Nobody has ever been taken advantage of unfairly, so there really is no compelling reason to use Free/Open software over anything else. Best of luck for a happy life.

There are no advantages, Linux is shit and it always will be, people use it as a hobby os because they have nothing better to do, even simple thing like disabling mouse acceleration is pain in the ass

>linux
>less hardware support
Hahahahaha

>advantages
none
>disadvantages
none

Just choose OS of you liking and don't ever search for advice on Sup Forums ever again

What advantages does Windows have over GNU/Linux?

Cheap VPS

Linux is 5$ and Windows is about 15-100 dollars, the alternative is bulky PHP wordpress shit which is cheap but gives you no control and the more PHP you use the slower it gets.

You can use as much C#, Java, C, C++, Go, Rust, D, whatever as you damn well want.

>What advantages does linux have over windows?
For the average user none that they care about. Yes, Windows at this point is literal spyware but to people carrying a personal tracking device (phone) with them this point is void. Nor does the average Joe care.
Personally I might as well use Windows for my tasks but I like the feel (DE), the way I can upgrade everything at once when I want and the general philosophy* better.

>Any reason why the average user shouldn't just use windows?
Yes and no. They can save some money but habit is a strong motivator. If what you know (Windows) works fine then why bother learning something new? For the average user money is the only real factor but as long as Windows comes bundled (thus 'free') with new computers it won't really matter.

*Most programs do one thing and does it well rather than one program that half-ass ten things. Also the sharing of dependencies.

I'm hopped up on adderall and caffeine waiting at an airport so I'll answer

If you don't care about technology at all the benefits are that its free and you almost certainly won't get a virus. You don't even need to pay for / install antivirus software that wastes CPU cycles and ram.

If you do care about technology then it's amazing because it's completely open. Linux has so many simple tools that are all well documented and you are free to learn them at your own pace to do really cool things, but you don't have to. You can install Ubuntu and browse Facebook all day, or you can learn stuff every day.

Learn how to use gpg to encrypt your passwords. Learn git so you can sync passwords to your phone and other devices. Learn how to open ports and ssh to your devices. Learn good security practices by disabling password authentication and using keys.

Use git to back up your config files, using different branches for every device you use, so that you can be running again incredibly quickly if your hard drive crashes or you get a new device.

Learn btrfs and the awesomeness of software raids and snapshots.

Learn dm-crypt and use it with btrfs to have multiple ssds completely encrypted in a raid without a raid controller.

Play with new toys: different desktop environments, window managers, etc. Rice an i3-gaps environment if you find that fun.

Never have to worry about licenses. If you toy with your system long enough you'll probably break it, never worry about having to pirate or call M$ trying to explain you bricked a HDD and need to activate windows on a new one.

Learn gentoo if you really get into it and have fun with complete control of your system. Use flags are very powerful and new concept to people who haven't previously compiled software.

Honestly I do love the privacy and security of Linux, but for me (bill burr for meeeee) Linux is just fun.

None
These trips approve

Windows is developed by a competent and friendly company that genuinely cares about your interests and is patient and helpful when you have issues or concerns, regardless of how much money you have given them.

^contd. Also setting up Virt/qemu/KVM on an X-less gentoo system was a lot of fun for me. An old desktop is powerful enough to run a bunch of VMs for me: pihole, plexmediaserver, nextcloud, a mariadb server (for both nextcloud and also syncing my internal kodi devices), and a downloadmedia server that runs sab, sonarr, radarr, lazylibrarian, and rtorrent

What a load of horse shit.

I think that was the idea, user.

>Microsoft
>cares
That's a lie. Stop shilling, pajeet. They only care about user's money and mining data for NSA.

1. Freedom (as in free speech (libre) and free beer (gratis))
2. Privacy
3. Better and faster kernel and software
4. Sane update policy
5. Package managers (fast, simple, no bloat, no viruses, etc.)
6. Customizability
7. Better workflows (choice of DEs/WMs, keybindings, etc.)
8. Better programming environments
9. Still able to use WINE or a VM with GPU passthrough if something requires Windows (run in an isolated and safe environment)
10. You support people caring about all of this, even if you don't contribute to the software development, making the world a tiny little bit better

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

None.

The feeling that you actually own your computer is a nice one. It might seem ridiculous to suggest you don't own your Windows PC, but who decides when it updates? Windows isn't just an OS anymore. It's a service. For some people that model doesn't fit their lives.

No virus. That's a big one.

If you have to ask, use windows or os x.

Those 4 penguins at the start of efi boot of some distros always piss me off.
How is anyone supposed to take linux seriously when the first thing they see on screen after turning the computer on are 4 fucking penguins?

Watch any youtube vid of Balmer, and then talk about seriousness.

>Distraction free programming

Good answer, the average computer user is too distracted while programming

I've never seen this. What are you referring to? Which distros have this?

Bait/10 would reply again

Newfag here. Running ubuntu ( after fucking around with other flavors) on vm (for now).

I like how fast it is, no security concerns with antivirus memes, and most apps I can run on debian that I ran on winblows.

Using win10 for games now only.

freedom

>Any reason why the average user shouldn't just use windows?

Average users should just use Linux, and people who absolutely need to run a Windows only software should just run Windows in a VM whenever the need arises.

>what is a thinkpad t61

Stock bootsplash for any higher resolution (e.g. vga791) shows a penguin in the upper left corner for each CPU core you have.

>Lower battery life.
It's almost like you can't configure battery saving settings
>Updates that randomly break things.
It's almost like you can't use a proper package manager
>Less hardware support.
It's almost like you can't google what drivers you need and get them from there

But you already use the internet, and your ISP is already allowed to sell your data. Why does the OS matter ?

my laptop battery is garbage at every linux distro

Up to 6-7 hours in windows vs 3h in linux at most.

and yes I have tried al the shit related with broadwell cpus that appears in google

RHEL and all derivatives have it.
And I think I saw it on other distros too.

>What advantages does linux have over windows
Freedom
Customization
It's truly YOUR computer so you're not bound by any EULA

>Any reason why the average user shouldn't just use Windows?
No. Unless someone who knows what they're doing sets up a Linux install for them with all the software they'll ever need and teaches them how to properly maintain it, there's really no point, as most normal people don't care about freedom or customization and just want to browse facebook and play video games.

Very well written.

I pretty much agree, you can just install Ubuntu and browse Facebook/Youtube/Twitter/whatever it is normies do online, and you don't have to learn anything, or you can have fun learning new ways of doing things and tinkering with different things, because there's a flexibility that only Linux offers.

>gentoo
Definitely agree, I used to think it was just a meme, but it really is the ultimate "DIY" operating system for tech people who really enjoy messing with computers. And it provides all that freedom and customization without the tediousness that comes with Linux From Scratch, thanks to Portage.

A jail broken iPhone basically has all the features of a rooted android and more you ignorant neckbeard

I agree with most of your points, but
>that picture
There's nothing more cancerous than fagdroid fanboys. What the hell do you need encryption and torrenting for on a goddamn phone? Are you going to spend all your time watching videos and playing pirated games on a small screen like that? Somehow I find it hard to believe you actually need that, as most Android fanboys are social outcast neckbeards that rarely have a reason to leave home.

>APPLEL TOLD ME I DON'T NEED THOSE!!

How do you feel about the fact that I can do everything with an Android device that I can do on my Linux machine?
Eg. running every application I'd like to without any restrictions, using my phone as a network webcam, sshing into my remote servers or local machines, mounting sshfs directories and streaming videos to any (non-applel) TV in the network without being cucked by the Applel ecosystem, or installing a Linux distro (or anything else) by creating a virtual USB stick, turning my phone into a swiss army knife.
Meanwhile, on low-res applel phones, people are running fagbook, instagram and the like and don't survive 3h without charging.

Some good games that dint go ported and that works like shit o doesn't work at all on wine

>APPLEL
you forgot to add
>iSheep
>iToddler

are android users the new internet atheists?

>How do you feel about the fact that I can do everything with an Android device that I can do on my Linux machine?
I feel nothing. It's a phone. Why would I ever use it to do the things you use a desktop or laptop computer for? Those are all very unimportant. If I'm out somewhere, it's because I have things to do or people to spend time with. I don't need a portable extension of my desktop autism with me everywhere I go.

For the record, you can ssh from iPhones easily as well.

>If I'm out somewhere, it's because I have things to do or people to spend time with.
If this is true, what are you doing on Sup Forums then?

See for me, it's a tradeoff. In order to get all those features that I won't ever use, I have to use a buggy JVM thrown on top of the Linux kernel, with laggy apps that aren't properly optimized because the Android ecosystem doesn't seem to have a centralized set of standards.

So like I said, if those features are something you actually use, then of course it would be more reasonable to get an Android. But it's a tradeoff, so if you don't use them, you're better off getting the better iPhone.

I'm not out somewhere, silly

>needing to disable mouse acceleration

People here don't go out, silly

>literally too stupid to disable mouse acceleration

When Sup Forums isn't a meme.
Excellent post faggot.

doesn't destroy my HDD

This is a valid point and hard to dispute.

By any chance do you have a dGPU? If so make sure you configure it to turn off when not in use.

This is cute. Too bad I use Ubuntu. All I get is a purple screen.