Linux Killed My PC

Linux can permanently damage your motherboard
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402

your device becomes a brick forever, even trained technician won't help you.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402#issuecomment-174565563
pcworld.com/article/2026807/booting-linux-via-uefi-can-brick-some-samsung-laptops.html
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402#issuecomment-177075890
quora.com/How-do-you-calculate-the-lifetime-of-a-printed-circuit-board
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nice try, wintoddler

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402#issuecomment-174565563

CLOSED WONTFIX USERERROR WHATDIDYOUEPECTITSFREE

>systemd
Install Void.

>linuxfags can accidentally scribble all over their motherboard's BIOS with a poorly formatted command line or shell script

>MSI faggots fucks shit up and mounts efivars as R/W
>Systemd trusts BIOS
>"DELETE EVERYFUCKING THING XDDDD RM RF LOL xd"
>"waaah linux delated everything"
Typical brainlet wintoddler. If Linux is too hard for you stay with your daycare OS. Linux requires 3 digit IQ

That's good.

That's excellent, it'll keep retards outside Linux.

You specifically issued the command to delete everything and so it did, including your EFI variables that's mounted under /.
You deleted / recursively
So it did

Is this easy enough for a wintoddler to fathom? Guess not.

HAHAHAHAHA AHAHA another brainlet wincuck bites the dust.

Poor winfag. You told Linux to delete anything under /
So it deleted /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

Linux is not for you

>typical brainlet void hippie
What a joke, just fuck off idiot

It's a feature

Yes. The same can happen in windows with a malicious C program or powershell script.
You didn't see that EFI ransomware for windows a while back?
All memory on the system reads as a one liner and surprise surprise, reading from the beginning, is your R/W EFI table.

>Not knowing C or C++
Man I hate C/C++ as well and I shill Rust. But jesus fucking christ, knowing C/C++ is like an entry level requirement for a programmer. It's like knowing high school maths.

Step the fuck up, pajeet.

>run a command to delete everything
>OH SHIT IT DELETED EVERYTHING

Wintoddler logic sumed up

Why are wincucks so dumb, lads?

If you treat users like idiots, only idiots will use you. Notice how advanced users have shifted away from micropenis winding, specially after 8 got released

>It was already reported on Arch Linux forums, that running 'rm -rf' over a directory structure with mounted efivarfs did actually "hard-brick" some MSI notebook.

You would actually have to try to do this this is not something one would do by accident

checked and rekt.

Theres a continual windows exodus happening. most consumers would rather use alternatives where they are not dealing with viruses all day long

>any questions
No, looks like Linux is the clear winner here for advanced users

wtf is this 9cuck tier pictures? You do realize PC is a hardware, right? MacOS and Linux are Oses that run on PC

>linux criticism from somebody who is not smart enough to use/understand it

And that's different from literally any other OS how?

>>>/9gag/
>>>/global/rules/6

linux more like linSUCK LMAO BROFIST MY WINBRO!!

Not the first time that happens...
pcworld.com/article/2026807/booting-linux-via-uefi-can-brick-some-samsung-laptops.html
>A problem with a kernel driver for Samsung laptops has caused numerous users to find their machines “bricked” after trying to boot Linux on them.

It's the same thing. If you delete /*, it will delete /*

I'm sorry but Linux won't hold your hand thinking "just because I said so doesn't imply I meant it" kinda shit

stop samefagging

>it's a car analogy

If you want sex analogy, Windows would be normal heterosexual intercourse, while Linux is more of dildoeing one's anus using self-made wooden dildo with sharp splinter

a more accurate sex analogy would be Microsoft sexually abusing and raping you to the point that you develop stockholm syndrome and defend them, while Linux is more like an open relationship

Just replace the bios chip, man.

>Windows: BDSM and you're the bitch of the relationship
>Linux: Polyamory demiqueer bullshittery
>OSX: Take it in the butt

>tfw BIOS+sysvinit user

A large popcorn and a large coke please.

>Linux is more like an open relationship
kek, linuxfags are literally cucks.

Posting more accurate version.

Sooner or late you will have to upgrade.

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402#issuecomment-177075890
>So... to summerise:
>Request:
>>Please set the systemd default in a way that makes it harder to brick some BIOS on some motherboards?
>Reply:
>>No, you can brick it other ways too
>Does anyone have an argument other than "the way it is, is the status quo", or "you can break your system other ways"?
>Because it seems to me that either systemd wants to make it easy to render a computer unusable (vs just an OS install). -OR- Is so unwilling to change as to be without any reason.

tl;dr: the only people writing code 4free in 2017 are autistic fucks

FOSS is becoming more of a cesspool with every passing day
(not to say that Shitting Street Industry or Jewgle's insides aren't either, but)

then he'll be a BIOS+systemd user and still be fine

legacy boot is still always an option, right? Can't go wrong with syslinux

>legacy boot is still always an option, right?
Not with newer hardware. Your ancient hardware will stop working after some time, due chemical processes happening.

quora.com/How-do-you-calculate-the-lifetime-of-a-printed-circuit-board

Oh man you're retarded...
if reinstalling OS is acceptable solution for you then Linux:
Reinstall distribution,
Reuse /home keeping all your files and configs.

>oh noes, you can reboot windows and it sometimes works again
yeah, I know, windows users should be used to restart their PC.

Another, easier solution for Linux:
Something broke? Most likely because of new kernel.
Just restart and use previous one.

(OP)
Install CloverOS, it doesn't have that problem (systemd)

>github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402
>systemD

The takeaway from this is that Lennart is such a douche that he can't admit the difference in magnitude between wiping the data off a drive and rendering a physical piece of hardware into inoperable trash.

this

I dont know about you weirdos, but when I run rm, I expect it to delete FILES on my FILESYSTEM, not wipe every memory address from physical 0 to physical +infinity, killing efi, the firmware of every attached usb device, etc. That shit makes no fucking sense, rm is for deleting files, not nuking hardware into orbit.

That aside, mounting something as important as efivars r/w by default is fucking inexcusable. That's as much an anti-feature as making ugo+rwx the default permissions of every new file. If a tool needs to modify efivars, it should unlock them and then do its work, then lock them again. In every other situation it should be locked the fuck down.

Why are you faggots not using TAILS, trisquel, and kali for everything? It's like you want to get your shit fucked up.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/systemd, or as I've recently taken to calling it, systemd plus GNU. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by systemd.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically systemd, developed by the CIA.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that used to allocate the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically systemd with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of systemd/GNU!

fuck I hate systemd

everyone in this thread that thinks wiping a file system should wipe chips on your motherboard is pants on head retarded who has never administrated a system.

That's a systemd problem, not a linux problem.

I would drive the shit out of that thing.

>systemd
kek

if you had bothered to read the issue, systemd does actually have a reason to write to EFI - specifically when you want to reboot into the EFI firmware setup. it can't get more "unix way" than exposing EFI as a file or directory.

its only a "init" system they said
BUHAHAHAAA

SYSTEMD/LINUX WHENNN

GNU BTFO!!!!!

SYSV-INIT/OPENRC BTFO

EFI is literally shit.
Some motherboards have a way to flash new EFI variables on boot with the right formatted drive or other recovery stuff.

How effective would a bullet in a cigarette be? Without a barrel to contain the explosion the bullet would lose a lot of power. Would it penetrate? Could it even damage bone?

ilmao
wtf is a "trained technician"

Hey. I know some C and C++ from some courses I took on the web (puzzles; search algorithms; ciphers; resizing stuff). What can I do with it on my Linux?

>What can I do with it on my Linux?
Everything.

Kida maks u thunk...

Well. I can do some web programming and automation scripts on other languages; on C I can do some 3D stuff. But these are all at a higher level than the Kernel. What the fug can I do with THE Linux throuch C or C++? Examples please.

I am working on a Wayland window manager written in Rust :)

Linux let's me do that. Not wankbloz

>buy new car
>cant modify it cuz its a closed-source non-free faggot car
>hurr durr im OP fuck me in my gay ass

>not using CoreBoot, SeaBIOS, etc

we need moro of these

>micropenis winding
>not Microshaft Wangblows

It sounds like he didn't want to switch between rw and ro, which seems like a good solution.

In my experience with /dev involves involves piping data around, not reading and writing them like a file. You can't just rm your soundcard.

/proc is full of file-like objects, but those are system variables and informational data.

>specifically when you want to reboot into the EFI firmware setup

>reboot
>press del to enter setup

the fuck do you need to tell it to boot into setup for while your OS is running?

>no keyboard connected to the machine
>can't get into the efi without lugging a keyboard into your server farm and connecting it to the correct machine out of hundreds
Actually I see it more of the ability to change EFI settings from within the OS instead.

seems like this isn't an issue with other hardware data devices like fucking /dev/sda

maybe the systemd guy is actually just retarded

The problem is more with how the motherboard/bios handles the files being deleted.

There is no hard coded default configuration to fall back on, so if the files go missing you're fucked. If you get some malware that deletes them, you're fucked.

There's really not that much difference between it and firmware where you can get equally fucked but firmware usually isn't up for configuration.

>projecting this hard
I bet you can't even install Void because you need a graphical installer and automatic partitioning.

what does this have to do with the rm command not deleting the actual chip data?

We have all sorts of tools to handle normal block devices. eg. dd

You could make two stream devices that you can pipe from to read and pipe into to write, even that would be better.

You could change the rw state on the fly.

Any of these are better than changing how we think of rm'ing entirely. Insisting upon this route requires rewriting documents/procedures that have been in places for decades.

>Could it even damage bone?
No, I saw a fireman training video about bullets in fire and the largest ammo they demonstrated (I think it was a .50 BMG) basically flew off to the side in a tumble and made a dent in drywall. They said it was essentially a non-issue (considering the dangers of being in a burning house).

The sudden explosive burst near your face would probably be more dangerous than the casing and bullet spontaneously ejecting from each other.

Gentoo: raw materials you need to melt down into the parts to build the motorcycle

Looks like the finally fixed it with a commit on April 25th. The had a """fix""" since February 1st, but it still let some obvious edge cases through

>Gentoo: raw materials you need build a kiln to melt down materials to make a hotter kiln to melt down materials an even hotter kiln to finally be able to forge steel and make molds for motorcycle parts