The latest CPUs/chipsets no longer have compatibility with Windows 7...

The latest CPUs/chipsets no longer have compatibility with Windows 7. Suppose you wanted to build the best Windows 7 compatible PC possible, without going stupidly over the top (e.g., X series Intel CPUs, multi-thousand dollar Xeons, etc) what processor would you choose?

6700k - The fastest single-threaded performance possible on Windows 7, but only 4 cores of it. Very overclockable.
6800k (or 6850k) - The last Intel HEDT generation to support W7. Respectable single-thread performance, but not as much as Skylake-K (or Haswell-K, for that matter). 6 cores. Poor overclocking
Ryzen 7 - While not officially compatible, can be fiddled with to work with W7. Poorest single threaded performance of these three, still not *bad* though. 8 cores. Poor overclocking.

Luckily, both AMD and Nvidia are continuing to make GPU drivers for Windows 7 (and earlier) for their new cards, so that's a none issue.

Other urls found in this thread:

tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php?lang=en-US&extract
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/am4-chipset-driver.aspx
overclock.net/t/1587577/windows-7-updates-list-descriptions-telemetry
github.com/zeffy/kb4012218-19
pcworld.com/article/3191247/windows/user-created-patch-lets-kaby-lake-and-ryzen-pcs-receive-windows-7-updates.html
gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

only butthurt faggots and my 50 year old mother still use Windows 7

My Phenom II x4 955 is still kicking, really all i need. That and 32GB of ram. I've got spare ram and cpu in case of failure (s). Now my server uses FX 8300, way more than I need but during video streaming/transcoding those extra cores help.

>faggot detected

I would get a 6950X.

Just kidding! Why the fuck would I pair up one of the newest processors with an outdated OS?

Windows 7 is going the way of XP.

The way of the future

Speaking of W7,

tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php?lang=en-US&extract

What's the deal with adguard's W7 iso not being available? I've been trying for over a week now. Did I miss a memo or something?

OP, Kaby Lake and Ryzen work fine with Windows 7. You need to do a little bit of dicking with Windows Update and the registry to make it work right, but the "incompatibility" is an entirely artificial block by Microdick and can be circumvented.

>The latest CPUs/chipsets no longer have compatibility with Windows 7.
>Ryzen 7 - While not officially compatible
?
>support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/am4-chipset-driver.aspx
>Supports Windows 10/8.1/7 (32 & 64-bit)

Where do I get W7 iso's with all the surveillance shit removed?

Or should I just use my old disk and run WSUS Offline?

You can install Windows 7 on a new chipset you dumb nigger, you just need to include legacy USB drivers on your installation media.

You don't.

windows 7 doesn't even have any obvious spying shit
the problem started with 8

I could have sworn some of the 2016 official updates added small amounts of monitoring software.

overclock.net/t/1587577/windows-7-updates-list-descriptions-telemetry

i've never installed any windows updates in my entire life so idk

Which legacy drivers? Ones from the manufactuer's driver page or some universal specific type?

Ryzen and Kaby Lake ARE supported, you just can't download Updates for your OS, and there's already a patch for that.
github.com/zeffy/kb4012218-19

Ryzen. Pic related, there are official chipsets.
And then there's this.
pcworld.com/article/3191247/windows/user-created-patch-lets-kaby-lake-and-ryzen-pcs-receive-windows-7-updates.html

Does this mean I can't run Windows 7 in a vm if I have a new CPU?

That's a very stupid question. Obviously you can. I can fucking run Windows 3.1 in a VM.

It's not _that_ stupid. A very stupid question would be if he could run your mom in a vm if he had a new CPU. Everybody runs your mom.

>Windows 7 is going the way of XP.
You say this because XP is the most used OS in enterprises right? I too think that Windows 7 will become big in the next decade.

reactos or debian+openbox/i3

>"""compatibility"""

Anyone use WSUS Offline Update?
Does it install all the surveillance shit that mentions, or only the non-surveillance updates?

no, and you can blacklist updates you don't want

This isn't true, go away tumblr

Ryzen werks fine with windows 7

>the registry

Source? Afaik you only need to run a script circumventing the update block and you're good to go again

gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9

Remove telemetry updates for Windows 7 and 8.1. Save in notepad and run as a batch file.

Everything after windows 2000 has surveillance, you can't avoid it. That's why you should upgrade to Linux.
If you want to use win7 you could install Tiny7. It has tons of unnecessary bloat removed and this also includes most telemetry tools. You should still use spybot antibeacon to remove potential telemetry. The system is based on a windows build from 2009 so it doesn't include the current telemetry-bundled updates.

And yet somehow Windows 7 runs fine on them anyway. Would you care to explain this?

>go to motherboard you're looking at buying's website
>navigate to the drivers and support tab
>see if there's a utility for making a Windows 7 USB or DVD with the motherboard's drivers streamlined in
>????
>wowit'sfuckiingnothing,jpg

t. 6700k/Z270/Windows 7 user

If for some reason I couldn't use Windows 7 anymore, I'd just switch to Linux full time.

Since I'll inevitably have to switch to 10...

Is there a reliable repository for it nowadays?

Run win7 in win10.

That is simply not true, they work fine with Windows 7 in spite of Intel not releasing any updated chipset software for the supporting hardware.

I've built like 11 Kaby Lake machines in the past month for customers that simply cannot fucking tolerate Windows 10 and wanted to do something that actually works and they're quite happy with how things are going at this point.

Stop being a dickhead, dickhead.

>That's why you should upgrade to Linux.

The sheer stupidity of such statements is hilarious, it really is. "I'm going to lock down my computer tight but I'm still going to use the Internet to send and receive data of any and all kinds that gets either stored on my tightly secured machine or is transmitted from it."

It doesn't matter how secure you think your local machine is, if you use the Internet anytime anywhere regardless of VPNs and encryption and anonymous hotspots and hacked access points or whatever you have no fucking privacy, you have no security.

The only safe and secure computer is one that has never been put together and turned on, period.

Just wondering--- if you had a computer that touches the internet, and another stand-alone computer that is completely internetless---

What would be the most secure way to transfer files from one to the other? Burn readable discs?

>when you have to make 15 posts to say a single paragraph of information

I'll be using kikeripper on Linux while you get cucked by microsoft, goyim

Or you could just run a VM

i agree it doesnt matter still a swiss cheese os

Windows 7 has the same privacy flaws as 10 due to updates. Only way to avoid this is run an install of windows 7 that does not have the newest service pack or security updates and disable windows update.

So the tldr. Can you do it? Yes
Will it work well? No it fucking won't and it will be more vulnerable than a normal windows system to malware and hijacking. Can you still stop that? If you are very very careful and you know what you are doing you can *mostly* stop that but not totally.

This is unfortunately the world we live in. Software has to be continually updated or it rapidly become unusable and Microsoft has made it so the only way to use their software means tolerating telemetry apple as well though Mac fags will deny it.

You want privacy dual boot run Linux on a separate drive do stuff on there. Even then true privacy stopped existing in 2010-2012

Sorry but that's how it is. You might as well run ten because every minute that goes by it will get harder to run 7 that is the point of planned obselesance

Bit new to the game here, but does port-cloaking/shadowing help any? Heard someone mention it the other day, but haven't looked into it. Do you recommend doing so?

Ian did sepekku, he knew the systemd f^cks were comin..

>effort
,,l,,

I also never understood the "I'm just going to get my neggahole get a little black dick but not too much" crowd. Pozzed is pozzed.

You can try but usually this causes windows ten to break. Might work in 7 for now.

But I mean you are fighting a losing battle. What would be nice is if like xp black back in the day somebody does a true hacked version of 7 and properly secures it from the start and removes telemetry but good fucking luck because Microsoft are source code nazis and I doubt that gets repeated.

There is only semblances of privacy to be had on windows ten when you need privacy swap to Linux boot. Did this for years with 7 and xbuntu going to be doing it with ten and trsiquel shortly I just have to split the partition ten is on. Also I get to deal with uefi this time around fucking can't wait for that barrel of laughs can't wait.

Yea it fucking sucks. I blaim Microsoft they have a totalitarian agenda look at the shit they fund.

No shit but:
>gaymes
>ease of use for certain applications
>muh hardware optimization

Shit arguments and I won't defend it but tldr that's basically the only three reasons I have windows installs. I do not use windows when I don't have to.

There is no Swiss army knife OS around just varying degrees of pozzed look at systemd and so forth.

And Inb4 someone says osx holy fuck. Mac OS is literally a hipster OS most Linux distributions do everything better.

I fucking hate windows but at present it remains a necessary evil.

This.

There's a reason Windows is everywhere.
There are tons of industries and jobs where the software is only available for Windows, so a lot of people don't have a choice.
In other cases the compromise of moving to Linux is so great that everyone would rather stay on Windows than bear Linux and its shitty programs.
And often you can't even choose because the company you work for decided to use Windows and Windows-only software.

The only solution, IMO, would be to have two separate machines (or encrypted partitions on the same one), one with Windows for work, gaming or everything you need Windows for, that you don't mind being spied by telemetry, and one with Linux for your private stuff.
Obviously this isn't always possible, but this is the world we live in now, so we have to compromise.

My Xeon E5-2699v3 would nicely work with Windows 7.

This is literally what I'm planning to do when I build my full up rig next year.
One SSD with true crypt for Linux distributions.
One ssd with ten
Possibly two additional ssd for high speed storage (programs and games) if not two just one.
Hdds for mass storage.