cs.unm.edu/~dlchao/flake/doom/
lingscars.com/
images.lingscars.com/images/pdf/best-web-media.pdf
youtu.be/cc1ktZRZ5ZM
hofmannc.de/en/windows-xp-defragmenter-test/benchmarks.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

honorable mention

A E S T H E T I C

Note the consistent user interface and error reportage. Windows is generous enough to flag errors, yet prudent enough not to overwhelm the novice with verbosity.

As an old fag, should I remember this?

My Calandar

it's less cluttered than Windows 10

Default Sup Forums without 4chanx or the new native catalogue features

Looks like SAP. What a clusterfuck.

I puked in my mouth a lil'

Strange that nobody mentioned this yet

>Java and Flash in the same main category as Keyboard and Mouse
Left one is bad design. Right one is way better.

obvious b8

But user thats a great interface.

Doom as a tool for system administration
cs.unm.edu/~dlchao/flake/doom/

>Strange that nobody mentioned this yet
As a counterpoint of beauty, genius and inspiration?

>in unix doom, process kill YOU

Youre a big guy

this one's interesting (from the same paper as psdoom)

>what is automation

Still, a cute concept.

I actually think that it's great design for old pepole.

>defragmenting hard drive
When will this meme die?

What's that?

>criticizing old practices on an image of a Tamagotchi

Defragmenting was a meme already by the age of tamagotchis, doe.

Defragmented drives would generally out-perform ones with fragmented files since the head wouldn't have to skip around as much

When people stop using spinning hard drives on Windows.

A new win10 "concept" by microsoft

Unless you're literally using DOS 5.0, operating systems already optimize file extent allocation after buffering more than well enough to not have any significant gains from defragmenting.

Reminds me of simpler times.

>using subhuman date formats
>using subhuman temp units
>trying to be a hipster retard
>including Berlin in the world clock application
>hipster shit confirmed
btw, even this screenshot has inconsistent window decoration icons

windows is the standart operating system

>standart
retard confirmed

A lot of shit in the new one just brings you to the old one. Pretty retarded.

Sure, if 5 is old.

I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10 being preinstalled (unfortunately). Before I formatted it, I booted into Windows while first time charging it (until it was full), because I was curious and wanted to see this atrocious shit show and was not disappointed. When I tried to turn off the disable screen after X minutes option, it opened 3 different kinds of battery settings windows, all from different Windows versions.
Who the fuck thought this would be a good idea to release this shit? Oh, and the start menu had bugged out after just one minute. Ridiculous

Right one has no java settings
>problem solved

Also the left one is in that retarded mode when there are no categories, never understood why people use it. there's the search bar if you already know what you need

Posting java UI's is cheating.

faggot detected
vanilla is the only acceptable Sup Forums

> He actually agreed to the win10 EULA when he got his new computer

Fuck SAP.

yeah they were simple because you couldnt get anything complicated done with this trash

Is Java's stock Nimbus UI good or bad to make stuff with?

I genuinely can't decide

I'll clarify: Nimbus is a "Look and Feel" as Java calls it, which is the skin and general appearance of objects in a frame. Is it attractive?

No, just use GTK so it matches the user's theme. Who cares what winshitters see

Java defaults to Nimbus on Windows if the specified theme isn't compatible though so they still end up with Nimbus.

So is it good or what?

What is this from

>Microsoft

dunno but they misspelled "Calendar" in the right menu

lingscars.com/

Using the system theme looks and feels really shitty if you don't make an effort to conform to UX guidelines for each platform you're targeting. Users expect the menus to be organized a certain way, commands to be worded a certain way, icons to conform to a certain set and it's always off. Better to just use the look and feel of your toolkit so users know all bets are off.

I don't know what the fuck I'm looking at but it's beautiful

Besides looking really dated and wonky it's fine. There's really no reason to not use the system look and feel. Even on bizarre systems that don't have a system look and feel there are better themes to use. Java is just a general shitshow for UI design no matter what so don't stress it.

its like somebody followed every early 2000s intro to web design tutorial at the same time

>Note the consistent user interface
GNOME developer detected.

>lingscars.com/
just ... wow images.lingscars.com/images/pdf/best-web-media.pdf

i want blades back

> t. 19 years old and knows everything.
Defragging, removing crapware, and disabling startup items were the three pillars of "my computer is slow" tech support in the XP days. This shit wasn't placebo; a defrag alone could bring a machine from barely usable to not that bad. Those old disks sometimes had single digit random iops. You could actually hear when a computer needed a defrag by how hard the disk was thrashing just to open the file explorer.

This guy knows what's up.

Or what was up at that time I guess.

Sup Forumsentooman job material right there

She's a woman, there's a whole Dragon's Den episode:

youtu.be/cc1ktZRZ5ZM

That wasn't so bad for 2000.

This looks nice.

Best UI ITT.

Less than 10 people use this garbage.

Much better than the current win10 UI. It might even look better than AERO, which was the best UI they've ever made.

That's a neat idea

I miss the pinstripes, I wish I could have them in El Capitan

and this is why you study basic finance and at the very least attempt to understand accounting before running your own business

I don't use any extensions because I browse on incognito and don't want mummy to know. :^)

I never did use XP (had switched permanently to Linux by then), but even my Win98 system prior to that didn't need defragging, so I'm calling utter bullshit. If you removed crapware and disabled stupid autostart shit at the same time, I'mma have my bet where the problem originally lied.

I ironically like this look because it's so bad it's good am I weird to think that or am I just a hipster?

This is my desktop theme atm I think the clusterfuck UI with bubbly gradients looks good because of how fucking bad it is

>Casually ignores the part where just doing the defrag is a major improvement.
Just, stop.

what version of XP is this?

dude I wouldve loved that while I was using xp
you just cant look at something in current year and call it shit because it bad in a way compared to your modern shit

>Casually ignores the parts that aren't true.
Yes, do watch me do that.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Please don't use Swing

>not to overwhelm the novice with verbosity
wow is the general population really so retarded that "something happened" is the limit of the verbosity they are able to withstand?

The fact that Microsoft decided to automatically keep disks defragmented is proof enough that it was a real problem, but because you're clearly too much of an ignorant asshole to just do some research: I'll throw you a bone. Try to learn something some time. It'll make you sound less retarded.

hofmannc.de/en/windows-xp-defragmenter-test/benchmarks.html

You can use extensions in incognito retard.

why not?

How very abstract
>not wanting schizophreniaOS

I remember when I defragged my Windows 95 PC the first time after having it for a few years. Took nearly 2 days and the PC was good as new afterwards.

>Less than 10 people use this garbage.
t. cia nigger

retart confirmed

Reddit's format is pretty fucking bad

yet another reason to avoid that circlejerk

Just deviantart subhumans

MS has a real fucking hardon for backwards compatibility at the expense of just about everything else in their OS.

>90s aesthetic
>Trainwreck
Nah.

Now this is pure garbage.

GOAT beta aesthetic coming through

To be fair, if they didn't 'have a real fucking hardon' for backwards compatibility people would whine and bitch about how MS tried to push them into buying new hardware. Backwards compatibility is one of the things MS should be applauded for. Credit where credit is due.

Yeah, nothing against them for trying so hard to maintain backwards compatibility, but it goes a bit far. Windows 10 doesn't need features from Windows 3.11 that no software written in the past 2 decades has used, for example. Sometimes you just have to break old stuff in the name of progress, the file path character limit is one of the most annoying examples of backwards compatibility obsession - Only in a recent Windows 10 build have they lifted the limit (and only if you manually do so by changing a registry key).