Virtual Machine Software

Which one wins?

I used virtual box for a while until I realized that I had no idea what to use a virtual machine for.

How do you decide to use a VM and not know why you're using it?

how do freetards manage to make UI as simple as MSPain so ugly

>Implying MSPaint isn't horrible already

Right now I'm getting ready to learn more about xen, KVM, and hyper-v. Just got done teaching myself hyper-v on win10... Was supereasy to set up a basic VM in. Which one should I learn for setting up 3D accelerations capable VMs?

It's literally identical to XP MS Paint.

kvm

Either should be able to help with that, I believe

Because I wanted to use it to download some rom files from a site that was flagged as malicious.
Then I read that the host can still infected still even if you're in a VM if I open up file sharing to move this file over.

That's when I freaked out and stopped using it.

What kind of ROMs were they? If they are older emulator ROMs just play the emulator in the VM

Do any of these do GPU passthrough on Ryzen or X58 westmere?

I use Hyper-V. Don't need anything fancy.
At work I use Docker on whatever.

vmware by default because it's a hypervisor

Is it true that hyper-v installs under a windows OS that you install it from?

Not if he means vmware workstation which he likely does .. which is same type II like VB

What?

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable usage of a VM to me

QEMU

I just wanted the rom to save it to my computer for later
Yeah but since you can still get infected even if you use a VM it's completely useless

Can get infected !== definitely will get infected

I like VMWare Player. Virtualbox is slow and laggy and nowhere near as smooth.

Haven't tried KVM and I haven't touched Hyper-V in a while.

I had been reading that when I did my hyper-v install on win10, it actually turned the host OS into a special kind of VM running atop Hyper-V at next boot.

Depends on what you're doing.
[Backspaced what I typed while trying to be objective and realized that a simple statement works.]
Virtualbox is fire and forget, VMware is "better" but requires learning.

QEMU

Uni gives a free VMware Workstation license so I use that. I like it more than VirtualBox

neither, QEMU+KVM

vmware is easily pirateable and is the only one with acceptable 3D performance. virtgl will never see a windows driver.

This is the only correct answer

Virtual Box. I just use it to test things before using my actual server.

virtualbox is completely irrelevant

How?

VMWare isn't just a KVM-like desktop solution, but also a hypervisor. There's nothing like that on the Virtualbox side. Besides, nobody uses VIrtualBox in production, there's either ESXi, Hyper-V or hell, maybe just KVM, Proxmox is good at that. I know there's a web interface for Virtualbox, but I've never seen anybody mention VBox in terms of using in production.

Don't think so.

Vbox is so shit that the Linux kernel taints itself when it sees that the vbox kernel module has been loaded.
LMAO

*tips your distro*

couldn't get my usb scanner working under vbox. vmware worked fine.

I use VirtualBox on Windows and Linux (as host) for functional and pen testing and it works fine.

VMware. Virtualbox is only decent in linux., but I'd rather kvm/qemu.

One of those has had its entire dev team disbanded and it's not virtualbox.

Q E M U + K V M
E
M
U
+
K
V
M

only outsourced to pajeets, but virtualbox is in full bug fix only maintenance mode, oracle has no reason to support it when they have their own offerings

kvm
also virtualbox's developers clearly stated that virtual box isnt meant for security and should not be relied on for protection.
Then again, vmware, last time I tried to use it, didnt run on linux for shit and required you to constantly clear caches and start it with special flags that still didnt even let it work correctly.

Virtualbox for generic farting around.
Xen for bigger shit.

Parallels Desktop

VMware because Virtualbox looks like abandonware and too intelligant for qemu, but now that I learned about Boxes I'll be using that if I ever need to make a new VM.

Had you not pointed it out, i wouldn't have noticed it was not MSPaint