So apparently Telemetry ignores your hosts file

In light of the attached article, is it game over for eliminating leaks from your Windows 10 system?

I've heard that microphone capture, screenshots of your display, and snapshots of your file system continue to be collected by Microsoft even if their telemetry addresses are present in your hosts file.

I already knew that they reset your placebo privacy settings after every Windows Update, but I didn't know that telemetry just straight up ignored your hosts file until now. Are there any means of overriding this behavior?

I'm starting to think its game over.

theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3010547/microsoft-says-its-best-not-to-fiddle-with-windows-10-enterprise-group-policies

Other urls found in this thread:

getblackbird.net/
github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardDNS
gecko.readthedocs.org/en/latest/toolkit/components/telemetry/telemetry/preferences.html
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1195552
actrons.info/privacy.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

inb4 linux. I do use linux bitchass.

I need Windows for Adobe Creative Suite.

Block them on your router

I use a VPN. Ironically this just gets my data to Microsoft easier.

That was the case even on release but Win10 shills kept saying xyz script blocks them.

>Telemetry ignores your hosts file
Well yeah you stupid mong, it typically goes by IP addresses hardcoded in Windows.

They knew it wouldn't work.
Almost like the usa saying xyz encryption is safe but they can crack it.

Don't mess with group policy if you don't know what you are doing. It's possible to completely kill telemetry but takes some work.

Is this possible? Any links to guide would be appreciated.

this is the only way you can use W10 without telemetry.

Note that MS has some large IP ranges and I believe that they're shared with windows update, so you essentially have to go without updates and blackhole all of MS at the router. Expect various things to break if they can't talk to the mothership. You might have better results telling your router to drop the packets silently instead of explicitly rejecting the connections, the spying components are likely to deal better if they think that there's some internet congestion or temporary outage, rather than realizing they're being blocked.

Telemetry uses IP addresses, the hosts file is ignored for them anyway
lel

>I do use linux bitchass.
The ubuntu subsystem does not count

If you are too stupid to figure that out on your own you aren't doing anything worthwile with Adobe anyway.

Nope, even with group policy Win 10 will sometimes say "fuck you, I do what I want"

Hosts file works fine for me desu, point the telemetry domains to 127.0.0.1, host a HTTP server and watch them roll in
Alternatively point them to 0.0.0.0, install fiddler and watch all those failing requests go through it
Not sure where the "ignores hosts file" boogeyman came from

Thanks for the advice tripfag

Then virtualize windows, retard.

Yes. Firewall that shit. You dont have to let unauthorized outbound connections happen, faggot.

Can confirm that it's possible to disable telemetry.

Decided it's not worth fucking around and just disabled everything windows that connects to the internet automatically.
No unsolicited outgoing connections since (as reported by router).

And when I feel like updating (once every 1-3 months) I just temporarily enable outgoing connections,while keeping a keen watch nothing suspicious happens meanwhile, update and redo the block.
Of course it doesn't suck any less that such gymnastics are necessary to get something that's a constitutional right, but it *does* work, and I'm willing to put in the tiny bit of effort it requires if it means privacy.

>And when I feel like updating (once every 1-3 months) I just temporarily enable outgoing connections

>yfw its been archiving all of its reports and during this brief window it sends them all in bulk

>keeping a keen watch nothing suspicious happens meanwhile
Unless they mastered compression to the point where they can condense months' worth of telemetry into the size of an update check message, I'm good.

Why is anyone even using this shit OS?

>adobe creative suite
Virtualize Windows and block all Internet access to the VM, or use a fucking Mac.

>Virtualize Windows
That doesn't work for applications that actually require significant performance.
>or use a fucking Mac.
So send the data to Cupertino instead of Redmond?

Yes, let's run bloated af Adobe software in a vm. That'll work great.

How effective is this?
getblackbird.net/

>he doesn't block microsoft (and other) IPs on external firewall
wew lad

Not effective at all.

That wasn't OP you were responding to you asshat.

Does Ubuntu Gnome count? Guess only Arch and Gentoo count now?

adguard DNS
put it on your router github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardDNS

You'd have to go with a WSUS system to collect updates which would then provide those updates to virtually air-gapped systems. The double-paranoid would distribute the update files directly to the systems rather than use Windows Update to access the WSUS server (a setting via GPO).

you know the phrase, 'if you have to ask?'

that applied to this question

how would that help at all? it just makes adguard resolve your telemetry rather than opendns or google?

wincucks BTFO

>the spying components
You mean telemetry right? The same thing that the browser you posted from has and uses probably much more intensively.

// 0330a: disable telemetry
// gecko.readthedocs.org/en/latest/toolkit/components/telemetry/telemetry/preferences.html
// the pref (.unified) affects the behaviour of the pref (.enabled)
// IF unified=false then .enabled controls the telemetry module
// IF unified=true then .enabled ONLY controls whether to record extended data
// so make sure to have both set as false
user_pref("toolkit.telemetry.unified", false);
user_pref("toolkit.telemetry.enabled", false);
// 0330b: set unifiedIsOptIn to make sure telemetry respects OptIn choice and that telemetry
// is enabled ONLY for people that opted into it, even if unified Telemetry is enabled
user_pref("toolkit.telemetry.unifiedIsOptIn", true); // (hidden pref)
// 0331: remove url of server telemetry pings are sent to
user_pref("toolkit.telemetry.server", "");
// 0332: disable archiving pings locally - irrelevant if toolkit.telemetry.unified is false
user_pref("toolkit.telemetry.archive.enabled", false);
// 0333a: disable health report
user_pref("datareporting.healthreport.uploadEnabled", false);
user_pref("datareporting.healthreport.documentServerURI", ""); // (hidden pref)
user_pref("datareporting.healthreport.service.enabled", false); // (hidden pref)
// 0333b: disable about:healthreport page (which connects to Mozilla for locale/css+js+json)
// If you have disabled health reports, then this about page is useless - disable it
// If you want to see what health data is present, then these must be set at default
user_pref("datareporting.healthreport.about.reportUrl", "data:text/plain,");
// 0334a: disable new data submission, master kill switch (FF41+)
// If disabled, no policy is shown or upload takes place, ever
// bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1195552
user_pref("datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionEnabled", false);

come on, user

Doesn't that break windows?

We're talking about Windows.

I game in a vm.
If hl2 can run at 300 fps then your photofag software will manage just fine.

Nigger, Windows hosts ALWAYS ignored entries for any microsoft servers for security reasons long before Windows 10. If you want to block microsoft servers from your network, you use a dedicated firewall on the edge of your network. But even then, good luck with playing whack-a-mole with telemetry server addresses on your ACL. It is more work than it is worth for an entire OS.

firewall your VPN at the other end

install gentoo....

>I need Windows for Adobe Creative Suite.
Then just use it for adobe then. I'd try running win10 in a vm. Shared folders change your workflow.

>I'm starting to think its game over.

Stop being a pussy. In the words of Churchhill, never never never never ever give up. If you're going through hell, keep moving.

In order to prevail you have to think outside of the mindset that a single product is going to solve everything or that the solution is intentionally created. Buy, borrow and steal from different ideologies and whatever and you'll arrive at a solution.

PiHole plus a good UTM will help keep stuff from getting out that shouldn't.

>I've heard that microphone capture, screenshots of your display
Source?

You can just block outbound connections by configuring your firewall in the router (remember you might need 2 rules: one for IPv4 and another for IPv6), if you want to have FQDNs blocked instead of IPs, you might need to also run a small DNS server locally like BIND as most firewalls will not block connections based on FQDNs.

Thanks!

I still would recommend to use LTSB.
At least on LTSB it dont come with edge, cortana and windows app store and bundled apps are not present.

There is a backdoor in your processor that gives intel or amd complete control of your computer regardless of the OS. The only way to be free you need to go full freetard and browse the internet with ancient hardware, libreboot and tails or some shit. Escaping the MS botnet changes nothing.

Photoshop is not the only Adobe program.

>use enterprise system in work place
>what better way to manage all those computers than with group policy?
>microsoft: don't use the software we gave you to use for managing groups of computers under one policy

irrelevant.

What source? I'm looking for an untouched ISO if at all possible.

Do it on your gateway dumbass that way it works for all your machines.

wrong

Show proof using wireshark

mdl

Variosu reports shortly before Windows 10 launch

no, you are thinking of the level 3 telemetry which can simply be turned off.

>this telemetry shit evolves over time

>Of course it doesn't suck any less that such gymnastics are necessary to get something that's a constitutional right,

There's nothing in the Constitution that prohibits Microsoft from offering you a contract that includes telemetry. A contract that you agree to by using their software.

Instead of moaning about nonexistent Constitutional rights, install an operating system that respects your privacy.

yeah people dont understand that they willingly agreed to EULA, you cant even install this shit OS if you dont agree on telemetry bullcrap, they covered their asses very well in that regard

>mdl
??

MyDigitalLife

thank you! ^_^

Yeah, they covered their asses with 20k pages. You could block a hail of bullets with that thing.

You just need a hardware firewall, like the good old days.

I simply dont care. problem solved

yes

if your router cant do simple firewall rules dropping the traffic to ip addresses you want it is a retarded device and you should get rid of it and get a better one, anything worth using should have basic functionality

You know, if everyone stopped complaining that they can't leave Winblows because of this shit, Adobe would have a fire under its ass to get that shit ported. Spineless assholes only complain.

>That doesn't work for applications that actually require significant performance.
Native performance in VMs through x86 extensions has been a thing for like ten years you nigger.

u wot? Windows has been ignoring the host file for Windows domains since the Windows 10 launch, and probably before that

It was game over from the start

Funny, I thought that made you part of the problem.

>people believe you can secure a compromised system from within the system
a strict firewall running on separate hardware is the only way to make it work

the best solution is obviously to stop using an operating system that requires you to use a hardware firewall in the first place though

>Burnett deleted the new Paint 3D, a system app, which he is entirely entitled to do. He found the system restored it and added a firewall rule allowing it network access. Yes. Not even Paint is safe.

Hardware firewall does nothing if you use a paid VPN service. There must be a different solution.

And no. You don't want to build your own personal VPN. That is fucking retarded. It's basically announcing to the world that all of your traffic is 100% authentic. It is the easiest way to de-anonymize yourself and eliminate any plausible deniability. Stop this harmful meme.

Unless you live in China.

>he doesn't have a personally hosted VPN to securely connect to his network from anywhere
>he doesn't have a paid VPN at the router level to secure any outgoing traffic at will

If you care so much then why not just use Windows 7 or XP? What software are you running that REQUIRES Windows 10? Stop crying. Telemetry is a great tool for developers because it allows them to get more data from normies that would otherwise not give to the developer. If you're so concerned about muh privacy then maybe you should stop using Windows.

What about OSO ShutUp 10 or whateverr it's called?

>What software are you running that REQUIRES Windows 10
Need it for my Minecraft Windows 10 Edition.

>This is how normalfags think law works
Now, nobody to my knowledge has taken Windows 10's spying bullshit to court yet, much less on a constitutional issue. But let's put that aside and talk about how EULAs work, and sometimes they don't.

An EULA is a contract that is "signed" by clicked a "Yes, I read this" box, which nobody has any reasonable expectation of actually having read. Note that most of civil law is based on the "reasonably expect" standard. Now, clicking the button is usually (in California, which is the usual jurisdiction for these cases because of it's incredibly crony-capitalist civil law system) pretty solid in court. Courts call these "clickwrap" contracts.

HOWEVER, many Microsoft Windows users will never click that button during an install because Windows comes preinstalled. This leaves the EULA more similar to what's called a "browsewrap", or as many courts have decided, "not actually a contract". Essentially a "broweswrap" is identifiable by a blurb somewhere that reads "by using this software/website/store, you consent to XYZ..." Courts throw these out all the time. They are almost never actually binding contracts.

Finally, two issues that cause problems for EULA owners. First, certain rights cannot be signed away. A EULA that states you cannot speak poorly of the product would be thrown out under first amendment concerns. Obviously a EULA cannot literally enslave you, for a more blunt and obvious example.

The second issue is that America isn't the world, and Europe is a thing. In much of Europe EULAs are toilet paper with the enforceability of a "no girls allowed" sign.

This has been your friendly PSA from "actually read a bit"

>OSO
O&O*

Dont spout shit you know nothing about. I run games and some other programs (autocad, android studio) with 99% performance of bare metal. Kvm qemu, vt-d, vga passthrough.

>I've heard that microphone capture, screenshots of your display, and snapshots of your file system

Heard where?

Air gap it. Faraday cage it. Sound isolate it. Power buffer it. It's the only way to be sure.

How doesn't ubuntu not count? Ubuntu gives you most functionality.

Inb4 Linux without GUI and only terminal is the only Linux
Inb4 systemd meme

why not block them in your router?

Not authoritative, but heard it from the author of this: actrons.info/privacy.html

He said ubuntu subsystem(as in, the thing MS added to windows), not Ubuntu(the distro).

because not every router has that option

what kind of shit router do you have

AT&T Certified crap`?

tp-link tl-wr741nd

They have oem windows versions where you still need to click I accept the first time you boot.
I have seen it on a desktop I got from work and a laptop I bought, so I assume it is common practice now.

Did you know that you are not allowed to make more than 1 copy of your entire hard drive or use it in a VM?

toiletpaper link sucks anyway

tried custom firmware?

openwrt has multiple bugs like wifi not working, ddwrt doesn't support it at all
and i don't have the money for a better one

well that sucks

im on an asus rt-56n, least i have padawans firmware to keep it "up to date"

its fucked

You're one of the most cancerous faggots on here, why you so salty and obnoxious, friend?

Autocad's requirements are nothing. The program exists only for legacy users who've been on it for 20 years. Inventor and Fusion 360 replace it.

Try rendering some 4K video with heavy compositing from After Effects and tell me how it goes compared to a bare metal install. VGA passthrough still requires a spare video card and remains buggy.

HL2 is 13 years old. You can run it on a calculator.

A calculator can run it
Post proof

post calculator nudes