Why can't you "format" and rewrite content on a regular CD that has been used before Sup Forums?

Why can't you "format" and rewrite content on a regular CD that has been used before Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YWdD206eSv0
verbatim.com/prod/optical-media/cd/cd-rw/cd-rewritable-sku-95157/
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/509141-REG/Maxell_630026_CD_RW_700MB_Disc_25.html
amazon.com/TDK-700MB-4x-CD-RW-10-Pack/dp/B000068NOY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Regular CD, question still remains.

CD-R's cannot be overwritten. You're looking for CD-RW's.

CDs makes me hard

I know that, I want to know WHY it is impossible to delete content on a regular CD and write new content on it.

> (OP)
>CD-R's cannot be overwritten. You're looking for CD-RW's.
Why retard, answer

it's a physical media that's been pressed with data and cannot be modified using lasers.

There's a miniscule entity colloquially called "Mike's demon" that occupies the thinnest layer oid plastic outputting the laser's beam.

You can't.

Try reading the fucking CD-RW Wikipedia page, you dunce.

Nobody is forcing you to reply you fuckface.

Physics: the ultimate safeguard in computer security

>buy stacks of dvd rw
>backup hentai collection
>safe from emp
youre welcome

If you're not removing content but want to burn more to it some times later, get CD+R.
You can write to it multiple times, but you can't remove content from it like you can on CD-RW

TL;DR
CD-R Single Session
CD+R Multiple Session
CD-RW ReWriteable Session

I believe it has something to do with the chemistry of the CD itself.

Because the dye isn't reusable. Once you write to it, it's done.

Why is it that you're too fucking stupid to Google "wut r difrunce cd-rw an cd-r" nigger?

>too stupid/lazy to research shit, instead relies on asking strangers to explain it to him

Wait, I was told this
>RW just "deletes" old data and lets you write new data on the remaining disc space. So, if you burn 200MB to it and rewrite it, you'll lose access to the 200MB and only be able to use the remaining 500.

Because lasers irreversibly damage the medium. You can't "unburn" something. It's physical storage. Imagine punching holes through paper as a way to store data, you can't "unpunch" them. I mean, you probably could seal them with special tools and a lot of effort. But, it's easier and a lot less expensive to just make a new CD.

And CD-RW is only 650mb.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because it makes autists like you have a fit of rage and shitpost instead of contributing possible knowledge to a sincere question and as we all know Wikipedia isn't always 100% accurate, so I'd like to hear opinions from people with all kinds of different knowledge or experience before I look for myself.

youtube.com/watch?v=YWdD206eSv0

>before I look for myself
You're not fooling anyone, kiddo. We all know you're not going to Google anything after you get an answer you find satisfying.

Nope
CD-R: can not rewrite written parts, but can attach new data at the end and "delete" old by overwriting it once
CD-RW: can be erased completely multiple times

The psychological evaluation of a stranger online means a lot to me, but would you mind getting back on topic? Take your crazy pills before you do though.

What's the topic, popular search engines?

The laser actually burns pits into the media. You can't undo that.

You could theoretically change the data on the disk though, by writing on an area that hasn't been written to yet. There are cd filesystems which do this, but they lose capacity over time because you can't actually delete anything, you can only mark it as deleted.

->
verbatim.com/prod/optical-media/cd/cd-rw/cd-rewritable-sku-95157/
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/509141-REG/Maxell_630026_CD_RW_700MB_Disc_25.html
amazon.com/TDK-700MB-4x-CD-RW-10-Pack/dp/B000068NOY

OP is so poor that he things Sup Forums can tell him how to save $0.25 buying CD-Rs instead of CD-RWs.

But you can easily patch the paper cards

Although it's a metaphor, read the rest. It's less expensive not to. You use more resources to patch them, or use less but lose integrity. It could cost you 10 times more to patch a single paper card than to make a new one.

>recording CD-RW discs and erasing CD-rw in mid 2000's
this takes me back

I still burn CD-RW discs for listening to music in car.

Been using the same disc for perhaps 5 years. It still just werks.