/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
devuan.org/
github.com/dreamer/scrot
github.com/naelstrof/maim
github.com/gvalkov/xrectsel
github.com/naelstrof/slop
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Richard Stallman is a Communist

fpbp

ballmer pls

Wizards assemble !

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portgage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (packages) not found in the grimoire (repository) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

sitting around waiting for the Debian Stretch release

break out of the systemd and install devuan

NixOS > Gentoo

include me in your screennshot guy is best guy

Nice meme

GuixSD > NixOS

Bad meme

Agreed, but I can't bring myself to use it

5 cute fact abour richie:
- he like birds
- he likes folk dancing
- he likes sleeping on your couch
- richie!!!!!

even if so, what would be wrong with it mccarthy?

this

What's the best wifi adapter (that respects my freedoms) currently? Got this librebooted thinkpad from a friend and I think it would be a sin to install a nonfree wifi driver on it.

Ethernet

that;s only 6!

minifree or tehnoetic

What are some cool Linux commands?

mv -- ~ -rf

Amidoinitrite?

>nigger

first off, share pape
then, uninstall as much as nonfree software as possible (vrms may help, but isn't reliable)
then install urxvt and customize you terminal colors (or use wal, which generates a colorscheme based on your wallpaper)
then install synaptic, dont use the software centre
then install i3-wm, you can select in from your login screen later
then try to compile your first program: i3-gaps, and install it
then get comfy, learn the shell, avoid installing stupid frameworks, instead read the copypasta colelction in the OP
discover the systemd, find your personal favorite programs
try to actually understand how apt works
youre ready for distro hopping, come back when doe

>not mint
yes
>niggers
fired

i have no idea why I wrote systemd instead of system

echo "scale=1000; 4*a(1)" | bc -l
calculates pi to 1000 decimal places.

Here's the pape.

I golfed these together when the whiteboard meme was the new thing:

# Find the sum of all the multiples of 3 or 5 below 1000.
n=;for((i=1000;i>0;i--));{(((i%3&&i%5)||(n+=i)));};echo $n
# Find the sum of all the primes below two million.
echo $[$(seq 2 2e6|factor|sed 's/.*: //;/ /d'|tr \\n +|sed 's/+$//')]

r8/h8

echo $((2+2))
calculates 2+2

uname -o

muscle memory and too much time on Sup Forums

I have no idea why I write Linux Torvalds instead of Linus Torvalds

Nice try Stallman, but uname -s prints the OS, read the fucking standard.

So yesterday I finally installed Gentoo.

Took me three tries because I was trying something weird at first and the bootloader did not like it.

I was trying to install it in another hard drive, /dev/sdb1, but I had another OS in /dev/sda1. I could not get the bootloader from /dev/sda to load /dev/sdb1. Also because I put the kernel for gentoo in /dev/sdb1 instead of what the guide suggested to put it in /dev/sdb2 as /boot.

Though, not it works after I resized /dev/sda1 and feels comfy!

Anything else I should do? maybe start moving to BSD?

Nice try Linux Torvalds.
$ mo uname -s -o
-s, --kernel-name
print the kernel name

-o, --operating-system
print the operating system

Why the fuck am I getting a connection error in this thread?

There are weird phrases that cloudflare blocks, and it shows up as a connection error.
ls -l (with a single space) is an example

What's -- for?

Hello /fglt/,

I'm trying to deepen my knowledge of Linux and have started reading pic related.

Is this the best book to read through to achieve such a task or would you guys have any other recommendations in mind? Thanks!

I originally put that in a code block with 2 spaces. I guess Sup Forums removed the code block because it was too short.

Wow this is fucking gay.

I can't make a post containing
/ etc / hosts
without spaces

>Mission Failed, We'll Get Em' Next Time

>ignores the standard and listens to false document documentation
Kek

-- is a gnu standard like --help or --version, etc, it means "This is the end of all arguments" and makes things like touch -- --no-preserve-root possible

It is actually useful when you have retarded filenames that start with an '-' and you want to remove it. Then you run (to remove the previously created (touched) file: rm -- --no-preserve-root

how to get the best performance out of a gtx 10 series card? thanks

>thanks
np, thats why were here

>glxgears
why is this program a thing

!5

Damn lol, but you can also do rm ./--no-preserve-root but I see what's going on. Thanks.

Install the nvidia-381* drivers and nvidia-settings. You will need to add a PPA if you're running Ubuntu, or otherwise just grab the .dpkg from the pool if you're running another Debian based distro.

It's also useful for hardening scripts. Many commands like mv, cp, rm, printf support it. IMHO -- should be used whenever possible. Just imahine some retard uploading a file like on your server.

>gnu standard
I think the POSIX standard getopt does that too.

alright cool, on arch just only ever had amd cards. will check that out, still not sure i want to do loonux gaming, but it's good to have the option

when you start parsing literally who inputs with shell scrips you're already beyond help

this! fuck gnu!!

GNU literally introduced long options.
Guess who gave POSIX it's name.

inb4 its just linux

>Guess who gave POSIX it's name.
I wasn't saying GNU is bad, I was just trying to make your statement more accurate.

that whole stuff reminds me of a question

when writing cli programs, scripts, whatevs, where can I look for standarts or guidlines for command options?

currently I have a short list for stuff
-n number
-l list
-d directory or deamon
-v verbose, -V version

stuff like that

Do what you want, or better, do what you think which is the best thing to. Welcome to freedom.

There are no real "standards". Trying to copy the coreutils is generally a good idea, though.
-r --recursive (some programs have this is -R)
-h --help

-b, --benis

$ uptime | perl -naE 'say+8,"="x$F[2],D'
8==================================D

come at me

server (debian/jessie)
8==============================================================================================================================================D
laptop (debian/sid)
8===D

Join us: devuan.org/

Suggest me good screenshot app for arch

rm

just install premium-screenshooter-git from the AUR

> Screenshot pasta:

Option a) Use your DE's builtin screenshot program:

Gnome: gnome-screenshot
KDE: KSnapshot

Option b) Install a screenshot program:

github.com/dreamer/scrot
github.com/naelstrof/maim

Option c) Use Imagemagick:

# Desktop
import -quality 100 -window root +repage "~/scrots/scrot_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png"

# Window (with window frame)
import -quality 100 -screen -frame +repage "~/scrots/scrot_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png"

# Window (without window frame)
import -quality 100 -screen +repage "~/scrots/scrot_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png"

# Select part of screen:
import -quality 100 +repage "~/scrots/scrot_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png"

Option d) Use ffmpeg:
ffmpeg -f x11grab -i :0.0+0,0 -s wxga -f image2 -vframes 1 "~/scrots/scrot_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png"

Notes:

If you find yourself with glitches (using scrot or imagemagick), try:
github.com/gvalkov/xrectsel
github.com/naelstrof/slop
Alternativly, kill your composite manager before taking a screenshot.
Example for compton: pkill compton && && compton

gentoo

8============D

technically it's the (Debian) VM I do all my web browsing in, not the whole machine. but whatever.

why is perl so cool?
why am I too stupid for peal?
why is everyone one ruby/python instead of pearl?

peal is true magic to me

arch VM on windows 10
8D

How good is "qutebrowser"s security?

How do I fix this shit?

Please leave this thread forever.

>they are posting among us
>I actually already may have wasted my time in helping them
>my help may posted on some "linux development on windows" blog

that's it
fuck the internet
i'm out

meant for

What about me tho

type 'help'

>he thinks anyone ITT is running linux on bare metal
linux is cool for toying around, but not in any way near a windows replacement
(sorry for destroying your dreams tho)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm using Elementary os and it's great but bluetooth isn't working.
First the bluetooth panel icon wasn't appearing and I couldn't send files via bluetooth through the file manager. So I entered "bluetooth on" in the terminal. Now the icon appeared and I can send files from my laptop to my cellphone but I made my laptop discoverable on bluetooth settings and my cellphone cannot find my laptop and I can't send files to it.
Can anyone help?

conntect with a cable

Arch, how to install the Arch terminal logo?

I might need to use it for something else in the future. Also I cannot receive files from a friend if he doesn't have the cable.

just install oh-my-logo from the AUR

Arch is for advanced users only.
You should start over with Ubuntu.

Kinda dumb question about Gentoo, but how do recompile the kernel? The wiki leaves leaves me with some questions.

I want to use genkernel. Now do I need to go and delete all the files associated with the current kernel, and then run genkernel, or is this done automatically?

About 5 years behind firefox at any given time. Plus qutebrowser crashes if you go on sites like 'guardian.co.uk'. Plus, it's basically a ripoff of firefox addons like Vimpterpretor. The only project has only got like 1 active developer on any given day. For these reasons I would avoid qutebrowser and stick to firefox with whatever addons suit your purpose. If you delve into qutebrowser you're going to come out the other end disappointed. Qutebrowser is basically vaporware: No private browsing mode, no settings manager or commands to set up proxies, no ASM.js, no 'noScript' or similar addons. The only thing it's got going for it is its keyboard shortcuts, small UI and 'config' file, but all three of those features can be achieved in firefox by a vim addon (where qutebrowser steals its sourcecode) and the 'Stylish' addon.

>new users should use distros for retards with lots of proprietary software
no

stop suggesting ubuntu, mint, etc crap

>About 5 years behind firefox
stopped reading here,

New users don't care about the cult of FSF, they just want a working system with sane defaults. That being said, new users should try KDE Neon first.

So is that bandit game a legit way to familiarize yourself with Linux? I've always wanted to break free from my pleb ways.

Linus Torvalds was right: The day that Microsoft started developing for Linux was the day that Microsoft lost to Linus Torvalds.

RMS is a Green Party member. That hardly qualifies as communism.

idgaf if new users dont care, they have to learn that its a different system
distros trying to make gnu/linux like windows as much as possible are cancer

it only creates people crying for "waaaa, why is %random_nonfree_program not available?", converting the system more and more into a normie conform bullcrap os

there is literally nothing wrong with learning new things

how to write a script in bash that renames all the files in a directory? i.e., I have a directory full of wallpapers and I want to rename them all with randomly generator names like 4e1xz3e or something.

Anyone doing Bluetooth audio over Linux?
Did ubuntu 17.04 fix the Bluetooth reconnection bugs?
Is gentoo package manager comfy?
Can I Wayland/xfce in gentoo?

How do I make money off of gnu/linux?

Really, all you need to know is how to do this in any language and to just port it to bash.