Hey Sup Forumsbros

Hey Sup Forumsbros
So I updated drivers on a Dell server (24TB file server for a friend) and now the advanced tabs are missing when I RDP.

Any reason why?

Other urls found in this thread:

computerworld.com/article/2687068/consumer-drives-shown-to-be-more-reliable-than-enterprise-drives.html
theregister.co.uk/2014/02/17/backblaze_how_not_to_evaluate_disk_reliability/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_VMFS
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

r u a hacker ?

>File server
>24TB
>Windows
>NTFS
RIP

This. In 2017 you absolutely have to use btrfs.

>not using F2FS on all your hard drives
lamoing @ you're life

No I'm a pleb.

It's a server for video editing. Has been working well for years. I'm just helping out a friend.

I'm not that advanced, bros.

You absolutely need to get something like ZFS or BTRFS.
Windows experiences heavy bitrot past 2TB.

>Wake up one day and check server
>Partition table took damage on a disk
>That's okay I have a RAID-
>RAID has no checksums, data permanently destroyed.

It's been 3 years with this server.

Last server had 12 TB and ran fine for 6 years with NTFS.

Just need help with advanced tab

BTW it's on RAID 6 (2 spares) on a hardware Dell RAID with onboard battery.

Also it's connected to a UPS.

If you must keep at it, keep a backup with checksums.

There is an inherent problem with traditional RAID. It cannot account for random bitflips that can cause damage.
If one disk lies no disk can tell the truth and your data is destroyed even with double parity, a UPS, and cache battery.
My setup is not immune and took some damage before I could push to backup when I went too long without a scrub but it has convenient notifications of what is actually damaged and when.

>Don't have direct access
>Windows
I think you're out of luck. What do you need to actually modify on the server?

>I was poor and bought desktop class disks instead of enterprise class disks
>the post

What if I use NTFS on magnetic tape?

I will definitely check out ZFS next time. Maybe during an upgrade I can move stuff over to a new server with ZFS.

>What do you need to actually modify on the server?

I just need have them connect an ethernet cable from the onboard NIC to the Switch (I will assign a static IP)....so I can RDP into onboard NIC and see the advanced tab on the intel NIC to adjust some of the settings like Jumbo frames.

I literally had access to the advanced tab before I updated the drivers remotely. Idiot Intel disables Advanced tab in NICs via RDP in their latest releases.

I'm too afraid to revert back to an older driver to get the advanced tab back in fear that I have to fly there to fix it in person.

try running "mstsc.exe /admin ipAddress" instead to connect to the console session and see if it is differnt

They make no difference.
All disks make mistakes and this new shingled sector shit causes fierce magnetic bleedthrough on larger than 3TB disks.
Even my nice HP SAS root drives needs ~100K resilvered every few months.
Enterprise is merely binned better for speed.

I'm a Mactard and use the Microshaft Remote Desktop applicaton from their site.

>They make no difference.
It does, enterprise class disks have one to two orders of magnitude better unrecoverable read error rates. Read a datasheet next time, your shitty WD Greens are 10^14, enterprise class disks will be 10^15 or 10^16

click the connect to admin session button, pic related

stay btfo poorfag

Eh.
You have no checksumming or redundant metadata.

The best course of action is to push raw files or differential snapshots to tape with parchive to ensure you can rebuild damage to a degree.

poorfag is completely btfo

if you look at some of seagate's performance line of enterprise class disks they'll be 10^16

>computerworld.com/article/2687068/consumer-drives-shown-to-be-more-reliable-than-enterprise-drives.html

Modded the firmware on my greens to force intellispin off so they don't throttle themselves to death.
I showed you mine now show me yours.

>Modded the firmware on my greens to force intellispin off so they don't throttle themselves to death.
what the fuck does this have to do with anything?

>I showed you mine now show me yours.
I did but if you want it again, pic related. even my ssds are enterprise class

>>computerworld.com/article/2687068/consumer-drives-shown-to-be-more-reliable-than-enterprise-drives.html
> Seagate hard drives fail with more regularity than those from Western Digital or Hitachi, according to the latest results of an ongoing study by cloud service provider Backblaze.
>backblaze
lol you're one of those retards that think backblaze blog articles are in anyway meaningful

theregister.co.uk/2014/02/17/backblaze_how_not_to_evaluate_disk_reliability/

What kind of filesystem on that esxi?

>what the fuck does this have to do with anything?
A vast majority of the shit on greens comes from the fact that they forcefully spin down if not loaded for 8 seconds.
Removing this makes them moderately reliable.

>What kind of filesystem on that esxi?
Why would you even ask this question? VMFS6 on the SSDs, VMFS5 on the HDDs. Let me guess you've never used ESXi.

>A vast majority of the shit on greens comes from the fact that they forcefully spin down if not loaded for 8 seconds.
We're talking about unrecoverable read errors. Which was your entire fucking argument for using ZFS and talking shit about NTFS.

>Let me guess you've never used ESXi.
I have not.
I'll stick with open standards when I can. CentOS and KVM houses all my current runnings.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_VMFS
No transparent compression or dedup? Can you layer it with anything that is capable?
Does it support block level checksumming?

If you're "not that advanced" then what are you doing fucking around with a server?

>No transparent compression or dedup? Can you layer it with anything that is capable?
Yes

>Does it support block level checksumming?
No, and that is unneeded if you buy the appropriate disks instead of the cheapest possible disks as you did. You remember your claim about bit rot being an issue on disks 2+TB, well guess what, that is with desktop class disks. If you buy enterprise class it becomes 20+TB disks or 200+TB disks because of their one or two orders of magnitude better nonrecoverable read error rates.

I gota go pick up my gf, i'll be back in 45mins or so with one or two more replies.

> theregister.co.uk/2014/02/17/backblaze_how_not_to_evaluate_disk_reliability/
Did you read it? Are author lost his spellchecker, or he's usual moron?
>per cent
>4GB version
>I really won't tell you my opinion, just listen to this guys, they great, i promise!

>click the connect to admin session button, pic related

Didn't work desu :'(

Just helping a close friend. I already screwed myself by setting it up a few years ago. But it's been trouble free lately but I fucked up by updating the driver.

OP here....so got it to work, now see advanced and Intel PROSet features for some weird reason.

I'm truly blessed thanks Sup Forums xDDDDD

did you BSOD and lose your profile?

asking because Windows tends to recreate a new username.hostname profile when that happens.