/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/i9 - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA/miners buying all RX400/500s)
>1070 - if on sale/can't afford 1080
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity/scratch disk/VMs
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board + case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/TZjjkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/hgc6Z8
pcpartpicker.com/list/L3QCnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/9J9jkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/cHmfgL
pcpartpicker.com/list/bnDCnn
amazon.com/Thermaltake-Versa-Computer-Chassis-CA-1D4-00S1NN-00/dp/B01CLIZ698/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497160632&sr=8-2&keywords=mATX
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/vfdjkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/88DCnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/h94tYr
pcpartpicker.com/list/PdybQV
pcpartpicker.com/list/XLzn4C
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Responding to the previous thread,so anything better than a 1070 would be a waste, so even an regular 1080? Should I just go ahead and buy a 1440p monitor and sell my current one (which is still new)?

is the oem key in ebay legit or a scam I saw win 7 key go for 3 - 5$

My build i'm getting pcpartpicker.com/list/TZjjkT

Conflicted on the GPU. Want an aftermarket with fans instead of blower but don't know which to get.

Budget is it's current price, not willing to increase it by more than $50.

1440p 144hz. I don't play many triple A games cus my current computer is a potato.

Lower price while not damaging the specs/performance would be nice.

>1440p for 60hz if you are getting a 1070.
>1080 is 1440p 80-100Hz, 30Hz 4K
>1080Ti 120+Hz 1440p, about 60Hz 4K

pcpartpicker.com/list/hgc6Z8
How is it and how can it be improved?
Also what is the opinion of the 1030?

RX 580 and 1060 6GB are also 1440p capable by the way, ultra settings are a meme, so with the 1070 you have 80+ FPS even on ultra.

Pay $30 more for the 1050, 1030 is very bad value unless you worry a fuckton about your energy bills or noise (some 1030s have passive cooling)

getting rid of tempered glass meme case and rgb meme is a good way to reduce price
>1030
what the hell is that? do this >rx580
impossible to obtain for under $400
>1060 6GB
maybe at lower settings, but not gonna risk it

>rx580
impossible to obtain for under $400
>1060 6GB
maybe at lower settings, but not gonna risk it

Check some benchmarks, a lot of tech channels use ultra settings which are really bad since they offer minimal graphical improvement for a high loss in performance, most games run at very high at 60+fps on 1060 6GB and RX 580, overclocking an RX 480 or 570 could achieve same results if you are lucky. Also this depends on the game, DOOM, Overwatch, Titanfall 2. and games older than 2015 are no problem.

how much space should there be below my GPU? my gpu's stock fan's about 1-2 inches from my case's side/wall

Is this a good build?
I'm waiting to see how Vega is before I decide on a GPU.

pcpartpicker.com/list/L3QCnn

Also, I obviously like Corsair, I've had great experience with their customer support and a bad experience with multiple other brands, so I wanted to go with them one every option I could. Also, it gives my build a bit of a theme.

>cheaping out on the CPU while wasting money on the SSD and case
You do realize a CPU like that would barely be able to take advantage of the SSDs speed?
>1030
Just do what this user said >400w PSU for almost $60
Power supply is overpriced, you can easily get 500W ones for $40 or so

pcpartpicker.com/list/9J9jkT

>Building
you ain't building shit. you're just ASSEMBLING heaps of junk from cheapest chink shit you can buy with your monthly allowance that your parents give you.

>wasting that much money on a a meme PSU

Yes

I like that its fully modular and all the cable are flat, it'll make cable management super easy.

>t. assblasted fag on throttling Fagbook that costs $2000

pcpartpicker.com/list/cHmfgL
>brand shilling
please dont. there are other quality brands out there, such as G.skill and Seasonic.

I wouldn't tell everyone to buy Corsair, but I like being able to get good customer support whenever I need it.
That's also why I buy laptops from the Microsoft storee, when I need one. Those niggas are even more helpful than the cucks at the Apple stores.

when will this cancer end

>1030
its shit the worst gpu you should even consider is a 470/570

pcpartpicker.com/list/bnDCnn

here this is way better

Vega FE is late this month. Vega RX is late next month (July).

For newer games, no...? What gave you that idea?
1070 will only hit 144fps minimum in a handful of games maxed like Overwatch and R6 Siege. Very well optimized, non-demanding games.
1070 is overpowered for 60-100fps, and underpowered for 144fps. That's a big reason why it's not recommended. It's only a 25% gain over the 1060 6GB for +75% more money. Only reason to buy 1070s is for mining or maybe because you have a 1440p 60hz non-sync monitor already.

>1070 - if on sale/can't afford 1080
If someone can't afford a 1080 they probably don't have 1440p and probably should be getting a 1060 or RX570 anyway.
Anyway, 1070s aren't going on sale because they're being used for mining. They've been going up in price and purchase limits are getting put on many models.

>nvidia
>mining
AHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA

no

being this dumb

>implying anyone used nvidia for mining since before GCN existed
wew

actually being this simultaneously imperious yet out of the loop

Any recommendations for a mini itx build? Money isn't a huge issue but space is what is the smallest case than can still do a full sized GPU?

if people bought nvidia for mining they would be out of stock just like amd, stop being a retard

>mini itx
stop cucking yourself, buy atx or micro atx like a normal person

imagine being as wrong as you are yet continuing to double down with an ever increasing degree of combativeness

Got everything on my pc set up, power the machine on, and..nothing.

None of the debug lights on my pc mate board are lighting up. Fans are all spinning, but nothing is going to my monitor.
Anyone know what I should do?

I've checked to make sure everything is well seated, and 2 different hdmi cables.

The thing is I need to conserve as much space as possible so the smaller the better

imaging just being a contrarian autist that makes no argument and has no proof or reasoning to back up their retarded claim

get a micro atx then and a fractal r4

imagine coming to a thread on Sup Forums.org in the year 2017 and spewing buzzwords from 2013 like some sort of geriatric hall wanderer

Better? If you can find me a good cheap mini atx tower that isn't plastic shit or colorful then post it.

what a fag for putting that high of a starting bid.
If you're going to auction it off hoping a miner will buy it, fine. But don't be
>"hur dur I want $150 more than I paid for this used card minimum for wasting my time trying to sell this to you"

Anyway. It won't end for at least 6+ months when the ice age further approaches. Ethereum value just keeps jumping higher.
$230 like 3 days ago. now $350. Making like 30x the electricity cost mining now. Even a 1070 pays itself back

amazon.com/Thermaltake-Versa-Computer-Chassis-CA-1D4-00S1NN-00/dp/B01CLIZ698/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497160632&sr=8-2&keywords=mATX
Literally put "mATX" on amazon to find a case that fits your autistic standars

not an argument

Isn't that like, at odds with basic economics? How can something remain so profitable and easily exploitable for so long? You will think thespring would dry up long before then due to everyone sucking the juice out of it.

fractal design r4

I've got an argument for you right here *unzips*

A fractle r4 is basically a regular case in trying to it take up a shitton of room

>Spending that much on a mATX

There is higher stock of them. Nvidia has always sold more GPU and has higher production of them.
Have you not noticed that 1070s used to regularly go on sale for $310-$340 and now they're $365+ the past week?
When there is a sale, it's a limit of 1 on microcenter now, that's it.

Anyway, don't respond. I won't go back and forth arguing with an ignorant like you like the other user was.

Just search for cases that support 310-350mm long GPU or whatever you need. There are fucking tons. My general recommendation woudl be the Silverstone ML07 which is bigger than some but has extra space for more drives, if you want to fit water cooling, etc.
>not putting 2 full sized 2 slot GPUs in a mITX. Thinking it's hard just to fit one in.

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/vfdjkT

This is for:
>gaymen
>VMs on Linux
>streaming
>recording
>music production
Already have a 1 TB WD HDD in good condition.

I'm waiting for Vega for the graphics card and would buy a 1060/70 (depending on sales) if they turn out to be shite.
I plan on upgrading the RAM to 32 gigs,
get additional NVMe storage
(that should work right? A M.2 + something on a PCIe slot? They won't block each other will they?)
and eventually replace my 1 TB HDD with something bigger.

What brands of power supply do you guys find reliable?

>fractal design
>shitton of room
are you retarded? itx is shit because you are cucking yourself into no expandablity and buying intel and should not be considered

its the best one on the market by far

>and now they're $365+ the past week?
because people that were going to buy 580's are now buying them
'
again nvidia is so shit for mining that no one with a brain even bothers

What does a mATX case have to be worth that much? Not the fans since I see a lot of ATX cases for $40 less with 3 fans.

Not that guy but there are some really really cheap low quality fans out there.

Don't want to spend that much, although it looks nice. But if i wanted to spend that much, the Corsair Vengeance C70 seems really nice and rugged. If you have any criticism of the C70 would love to hear it.

Also, updated the list. Any better or should I change something? pcpartpicker.com/list/88DCnn

Check Corsair Spec Alpha Grey, 3 fans from corsair which are decent quality and the case itself looks good, all for $78

What's the biggest consumer video card ever made

I just looked up the ml07 and it's perfect thank you I can even set it down and place my monitor on top of it

6 months isn't really that long?
Take 1.5-2.5 months for your break even, then you only have a few months left to make actual profit.
Though, your hope is that Etherum will go up at least 10x higher, and then you'll make 50x what you originally paid instead of just 5x. 5x is still good, though, especially considering you have hardware to sell used when you're done or to mine whatever is very profitable next with ti.

Though most cryptocurrency are moving away from the mining thing, and using other means to dole out currency that wastes less electricity but in a way that's also less centralized.
Ethereum could potentially be the last highly profitable minable one, but who knows.

No one who was going to buy a 580 for gaming is going to get a 1070. They'd get the 1060 6GB.
It's MINERS buying the 1070s.
t. Only retards buy 1070s for gaming. A 1060 if you can't get a 570, or 1080, are better price/perf choices. You can get a 1080 for less than a 1070 a lot of the time. Only reason miners don't buy 1080s is that the 1070 is actually better for mining.

Probably the 32 pin, 3 slot, PowerColor Red Devil 295x2.

would anyone know, please?

Hey, I would recommend going with the g4560 over the g4600. And then go with a GTX 1050 ti over the 1050.

I recommend going with two sticks of 4GB ram over one stick, because you are essentially doubling your memory bandwidth by going dual-channel. This will benefit you in many programs.

If you want, I can pick these parts out for you and send you a link

because those cases arent quality, the r4 is

wow is that build shit
pcpartpicker.com/list/h94tYr

sure user, i would appreciate it

The r4 is the size of any other midtowwr case it takes up the same amount of room. As any other midtower and I buy Intel anyway amd has burnt me too many times

>miners
>buying nvidia

W O W are you dumb

What the hell do you mean by quality you goy?

>cuck trying to convince people with more money than him to not drive up prices of the card he's saving for
k e k

y-you to, appreciate your edited version though. Learning so any suggestions maybe helpful

>implying i buy nvidia
im not a cuck like you sorry m8

pcpartpicker.com/list/PdybQV

Now consider that the Pentium G4560 will run you in the $70 range.

This motherboard also only has two memory slots but is all that is necessary for this build.

I am a big fan of hitachi's hard drives, they're good products.

Normal old RAM that will take advantage of dual channel opportunities

GTX 1050 ti is going to be a great pair with that g4560, minimal bottlenecking

>anything lower than a 570
literally going to be obsolete in a year just like the 750ti

Consider the price of the G4560 in relation to the RX 570.

consider that the 1050ti is a turd and the 570 is only 30 or so more

Do you know that 570/580s were all taken by miners right?

This is false. The GTX 1050 ti will perform slightly under the RX 570 for $60 less and will use less electricity.

I only use AMD for my main computers.

It made more sense for me to buy 1070s for mining with how valuable it is to mine as much as possible, but also to have less electricity usage for as it approaches the ice age to keep mining a little bit longer.
I do have $5k more of GPUs I've contacted a distributor about, but won't have word until Monday.

I can get RX570s for cheaper, ~$220-$230, but the 1070s should resell much better and easier on top of mining 20% faster than those models and at over 20% better hash/watt.

If you want to make calls, you can probably find a local distributor or someone who has contact with a distributor that can get you RX570s at a still reasonable price. Probably not $170-$185 though...

Question. How do you get the black layout on PCPP?
beyond that, add a PNY SSD for around $50 for a boot drive

>40% worse performance on average
>slightly
>40% slower
>slightly
>BUT 2X MORE MONEY FOR 25% BETTER PERFORMANCE FROM THE 1070 IS TOTALLY WORTH IT BUY GREEN!!!!!!!
lmfao

then watch newegg, i got my 290x when they were all being sold out so you can too

>slightly
you call this slightly, i call it cutting your performance in half

>power
HOLLY SHIT THE MORE POWERFULL GPU COMSUMES MORE POWER STOP THE PRESSES, also stop burning gas for energy then pajeet

I'm using a chrome extension that makes everything dark. give me a bit and I'll fix that for you. however, I would recommend doing a single HDD or a single SSD. I can throw $50 at the current HDD and get a larger SSD

>I can throw $50 at the current HDD and get a larger SSD
That works. You could get a decent 250 GB SSD for about $90, and add in an HDD later on.

what extension?

pcpartpicker.com/list/XLzn4C

"Dark Reader"

Remove backlight from your monitor.

>2x more money for gtx 1070
>gtx 1070 is about $360
>rx570 is $400+ because cryptotards
next time, make an argument that pertains to the current time period, idiot. had they not been sold out or selling for $400+, many people would have bought 570s and 580s instead

>pcpartpicker.com/list/h94tYr
if it wasn't for Superblitz, would getting the G4600 be better considering its just a little more expensive on other sites like amazon?

g4560 all the way. the 100mhz gain isn't worth it.

>$365 for a mini ITX low clocked single fan model
>All the decent models are $395+
Nice cherry picking, fag.

Also, that wasn't the fucking argument.
The fucktard said the RX570 was only "slightly" faster and that it wasn't worth $60 more (even though it's hard to find them for $60 more, yes, but that wasn't the argument you stupid fuck).

G4600 if you need the better iGPU.
G4560 if you're using a dGPU.
i3-7100 or g4620 if they are on sale so they're only like $10-$15 more.
Very simple.

>cherrypicking
honestly, i guessed. plus, a 1070 is a 1070. and yes i know its not part of the argument, but the fact that there are no 570/80s avaliable for under $400, that makes your argument invalid in this current time period. maybe in 3 months, you'll be right. its just a matter of circumstances.

just because you dont know how to build a computer doesnt mean other people dont. its actually quite easy. you should give it a try. its much better than the prebuilt youre currently using

You're forgetting that the RX580 costs $600-800 scalped.

Before assembling in the case, does anyone make sure that all the parts work and install windows before assembling everything into the case?

- Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA/miners buying all RX400/500s)
No they didn't/
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA/miners buying all RX400/500s)

only retarded faggots use windows. if youre just going to run a prebuilt operating system, you might as well run a prebuilt computer. building computers is for those who like to customize their computers, which you just can not do with windows

what the fuck are you even trying to say?

What do you guys use to remove dust inside the case?

K well your guess sucked.
An RX570 is ~60% faster than the 1050Ti on average. Even more so if you just go by games from the past 2 years, which imo you should since those are the ones that are demanding and you want better hardware for newer rather than older games since it still runs older ones fine.

He's saying it's still the best to get if you can get one cheap.
Some people still have them at local stores or warehousese.
Fucking retard, you really are so dumb you can't understand that?