Buying a ThinkPad right now right now

I have the overwhelming urge to buy a ThinkPad right now right now.

I've settled on the T440.

Is pic related good? Will post another comparable model with SSD.

Thanks!

don't fall for the meme, Thinkpads are the worst laptops I've ever had the misfortune of using

OP here. Posting on a ThinkPad it's been great for me for 7 years... just getting a little beat up because I beat the fuck out of it and it's too heavy and big (T510 with the jumbo battery) to carry around casually.

Keyboard is shit
Touchpad is shit but is fixable by replacing it

But it's the last thinkpad without the retarded soldered processor jewish shit so you can upgrade it to a quad core or something if you want like i did with my T420.

> not having at least 16GB of ram
but really they are great machines, i dont have any with SSDs but I imagine they are nice.

Don't listen to the other poster, using a thinkpad is actually a really nice experience for how cheap they are. But BE AWARE, the Intel AC-7260 wireless adapter in the t440 is a piece of flaming fucking dogshit. I had to set my router to broadcast in b/g channels because the card can't receive ac or n from it. I don't know if this will be the case with all t440(s,p) models and certain routers, but it's a huge problem and there are tons of unresolved posts on forums regarding this issue.

The only other downside is then wanting to upgrade the components and having to shell out extra money.
>pro dock
>IPS panel
>trackpad
>SSD
>RAM

For under $300 there is no better laptop, but if you save your money you can do better.

Don't plan on upgrading any components, probably would use this for a couple years then upgrade to another used one.

Would I do better to just get a T420 or T430? I thought the Touchpad on this one looked nice?

I do really like the keyboard on my T510... which the T410 has the same design.

I was mainly going for recency, battery life, and size.

All I am going to be doing with this is studying remotely, Excel, finance stuff. I have the T510 at home and a work computer at work so this is just something lightweight and decent that will live in my backpack.

Open to suggestions. Needs to be less than $400 all in. Would prefer to stay below $300 or $350 though.

Thanks

>looked nice?
but works like shit

>I do really like the keyboard on my T510
>I was mainly going for recency, battery life, and size.
>All I am going to be doing with this is studying remotely, Excel, finance stuff.
Sounds like X220 with 9-cell battery and IPS screen is your best bet.

Even though this is older, the processor is better, SSD, good ram, and the GOAT keyboard, decent battery life.

I'm just going to get this one and quit thinking about it.

Worst case is I send it back and do whatever restocking fee they have.

My T510 is i5 2.4 with 8g RAM so I know that this will perform just the same with less weight and bulk.

Different user.
This coming up Monday I'm about to get a Thinkpad Yoga 14 or T440/s (with IPS display)
Am I about to fuck up or make an amazing decision?

T450s is the best choise
get one, you won't regret it

Or just buy a 440s and replace the trackpad for 20 usd?

>X220

This is the machine I should have originally purchased. Maybe you are right.

On my first day of grad school 7 years ago, I show up with my fuck huge T510, and my MILF of a professor busts out the X220 and I started drooling.

replace it with what? do you like downgrade the trackpad or what?

>3dwhoreposter posting stupid shit
fucking normalfags

You can buy a T450 trackpad and put it in a T440x. Takes less than 10 minutes to replace according to YouTube.

If you must have a modern """ThinkPad""" then atleast get the T450 or X250. The model you're looking at doesn't have trackpad buttons, similar to a Macbook, but much, much worse.

I have one of these. can confirm, great computer.

OP here

All of the X220's on ebay are beat to fuck. Plus, the novelty of a tablet has kind of worn off considering I have a phone and also a tablet to do tablet things on.

I think I'm just going to go with the T420. Always thought that one was a winner.

See Unless you need 16GB or Ram it looks like the 440 Shouldn't be taken out of consideration

>doesn't have trackpad buttons
Don't care

I actually really like the button setup of the T510 / T420 and use the clit most of the time anyways.

Not sure about the newer models, but the fan grill on the T420 breaks VERY easily.

If you can handle a completely retarded clickpad, get any of those
But I'd advise you to try it first simewhere, it's amazing how shitty it is

It also doesn't have clit mouse buttons unless you replace the trackpad, 3DPD retard

>tablet
but i said x220 not x220t

Fan grill on my T510 has broken too. Not that big of a deal. I'd probably send it back if it came broken though, I think something like that would be noted by a responsible seller though.

I have beaten the ever living shit out of my T510 but I really took it too far and considering it's beat up, they keyboard has 'issues' with proper function (replaced it twice)... I just want something little to take around with me.

A T420 for less than $200 with the same relative performance of my T510 is a great thing, I think. And a legit version of Win7 pro... where am I going wrong here getting the T420 for $190...The T440/T450 don't really have any major improvements in terms of processors, as I see.

I'm the same user that's opting to just pay 20 dollars to get those replaced for the T550s trackpad.
If that's honestly the only consideration then the 440 flat out beats the 430 from just sheer battery life.

T420 does and that's what I was referring to

But the battery life is a major improvement.
If you need to leave the basement regularly then the 440/450 are solid contenders.

Based on the battery estimate screenshots I've been seeing, the T440 consistently has approx 5 hours of life. The T420 I will probably buy has 4 hours.

1 hour of battery life isn't worth a 50% price increase. Also, the T420 has a better processor and the same ram / SSD vs the T440's I'm looking at. Finally, I just noticed the T440's I am considering don't have webcams. Which would be nice to have.

This girl is a total babe but I'd really like to see the pics of her before her boob job. I don't like fake tits.

i just bought a X220 on ebay with perfect condition :^)

OP here. I went for the T420... thank you everyone for your input.

I'll probably buy a T470 in a couple years...

This whole exercise got me thinking...

Should I have instead bought this MacBook Pro with very similar specs to the T420, for $1,100 more, plus tax :^) ??

>use the clit most of the time anyways.
>It also doesn't have clit mouse buttons unless you replace the trackpad
>T420 does and that's what I was referring to

>very similar specs to the T420
Are you mental?

>display is not even comparable. T420 displays are absolutely garbage compared to any remotely decent panel, in quality and resolution.
>SSD is miles ahead of whatever is in the T420
>CPU is much more efficient
>GPU is both, more efficient and way more powerful
>it has probably triple the T420's battery life
>Thunderbolt is a whole different level compared to USB2 and even USB3
>it's lighter
>it's new
>it has warranty

Don't get me wrong, older ThinkPads have great value, but saying that they are almost on par with a new MacBook is fucking retarded.
Especially the display. It's a fucking 1600x900 TN panel.

t. T61, x220 and x230t owner

what kind of thinkpad should you have to get a elf girl

I have a T420s. I love it. When it breaks I'll get another one.

Yeah the MacBook display is better but other than that, you're fucking stupid.
t. Thinkpad and MacBook owner

T430s is goat form factor.

Got my dad one with 128gb ssd, 8gb ram and it
5 cpu for $299usd.

the x40 is the worst gen