I just installed Ubuntu 17.04, did I do good or screw up and could've gotten a better distro?

I just installed Ubuntu 17.04, did I do good or screw up and could've gotten a better distro?

Other urls found in this thread:

dev-1.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Install gentoo

Install Source Mage.

Install Alpine

You did well

But after a year or two if you are a developer you will realize that the apt repo is a software cementery and everything is outdated as fuck.

Yes, but remember to remove/uninstall amazon services.

Shoulda seen that coming.

Not sure what those are but I'll check it out.

I'll keep that in mind. For future reference, what distro would be better? Thank you.

I'll probably do that, what's wrong with Amazon anyway?

Install android x86

>botnet
No thanks

mint

Install MAC OSx

>botnet
What is this meme? I'm new here

Install whatever, just to get rid of systemd

Sticky.

I recommend Debian unstable or Arch.

Do not believe the memes about Arch. There are installing guides floating around here and if you follow them you shouldnt experience problems.
Ive been using it for 5 months and literally nothing broke.

Install cumskin os ™

Jokes

Install Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE or Manjaro for a truer-to-Linux desktop experience that is still quite easy to use.

Shit-tier distros:
Mint
Antergos

God-tier distro:
Gentoo (but almost no one knows Linux proficiently enough to use it successfully.)

What are normie-tier distros for people who are usually too retarded to handle an entirely new OS? I want to dual boot and only use the windows partition for muh gayms.

Too bad suspend doesn't work. It's nice to run Android with 12 GB of RAM.

>Debian
SJW

>Fedora
SJW

>OpenSUSE
SJW

>Manjaro
SJW

You're fine.

ZorinOS. It's kinda heavy on resources because it uses special snowflake custom cinnamon DE, but it's perfect for windows users. I'd recommend replacing it with Zorin Lite as soon as it's released.
Other than it you could just use any XFCE distro, like Linux Lite or Xubuntu.

I checked the wiki, it doesn't say anything specifically about distros being botnets.

See Normie tier distro would be Ubuntu, in all honesty. It's just easier.

Stop worrying about "muh layout". The window manager and/or desktop environment is totally up to you regardless of distro. Ubuntu, just like a lot of other distros, can use XFCE, KDE, GNOME, or Unity, or i3 or whatever else. it doesn't give a shit.

You may find yourself using Dolphin as your file manager in KDE, but someone using XFCE will use Thunar as their file manager. Big deal. They both manage files basically the same as Windows Explorer, and unless you're autistic enough to manage files entirely in terminal (without Ranger) little choices like this have almost no impact on the overall Linux experience.

Debian and its derivatives like Ubuntu are easier to use from the terminal in my humble opinion.

oh sorry the correct choices were xubuntu 16.06 and ubuntu gnome 16.04. Thanks for playing

>He thinks an operating system can have a political agenda

This.

I used to use that, I'm glad that its still a meme.

You can just post-installation autoremove unity-desktop and install gnome or xfce lmfao

Thinking you should install a different ISO merely to change the desktop environment indicates immaturity with Linux.

How do Elementary OS and other debian derivatives compare with Ubuntu?

I wouldn't worry too much about outdated packages. As long as you keep updating the system when new versions of Ubuntu come out, you'll mostly be okay. Occasionally you'll need some 2.9 version of some library while 2.8 will be in the repository. The solution is easy. Just find the project and download the Deb file for the updated version. Easy peasy

t. Developer who uses only Ubuntu LTS

Worse. Elementary is all the shittiness of Mac OS without the program support.

This is now a stupid questions thread.

The best Debian derivative is Devuan now, because Debian is already almost as good as it gets.

The OS can't but the developers certainly can. Identity politics in open source is just bad juju man. Fuck that shit.

>laptop
>phone OS

kys.

Botnets are networks of machines that do work together over the Internet while being physically separated and even hijacked from other owners.

However, in the context of Sup Forums, botnet is a catch-all term for software which either by accident or on purpose has malicious properties which can be exploited by nefarious parties such as government agencies or corporations.

Examples of botnets: Google, Amazon, iOS and Facebook are all botnets designed to spy on the user and deliver advertising content to them based on their preferences in order to maximize their ad-revenue profits.

Windows is a botnet that snoops, analyzes and delivers metadata and data of interest to governments to track your activities and profile you.

Many people meme systemd (the init system daemon in many popular distributions like Debian) as a botnet purely because of its complexity and openness to exploitation, rather than directly malicious features.

Thanks. I already use Debian, but wanted a more 'easy' distro for my dad. I guess Ubuntu it is.

>I recommend Debian unstable or Arch.
Why willingly expose yourself to potential breakages? What possible reason do you have to require bleeding edge packages other than drivers for very new machines (which there are backports for anyway).

There is no (zero) reason ever to use Arch for anything other than a hobbyists distribution. Gentoo is infinitely superior for any non-superficial customisation (i.e. deploying specific programming environments or running stripped down kernels).

If you use your computer for anything other than editing text files and browsing Vietnamese bread baking forums there is no reason to use anything bleeding edge.

Make sure it's Xubuntu or Kubuntu for his sake so it will more closely mirror Windows than Unity Desktop.

I use arch because i have an rx480 and its nice to have the latest feautres within hours. Also kde is without a doubt the best on arch/gentoo.

I got something right for you friend.

dev-1.org

>did I do good
Why are you even asking this? Kys yourself retard.

I woke up to tell you that you're a niggereet

>t. Developer who uses only Ubuntu LTS

How do you deal with the official Eclipse packages?
Those are outdated as fuck (2012?). Direct install from the Eclipse website (using Eclipse's own version control system) is practically the only viable option, and that feels so Windows.
Similar shit with Java 8, although that has probably different reasons.

Yeah, I go straight to eclipse.org. Don't even bother with the package manager Feels shitty but it works for me. I've been using Linux exclusively for so long though that I kind of have a feel for how to pull stuff in from outside of the repos and still keep everything smooth and stable. Not sure if that makes sense but it's like Linux just fits like a glove and I'm at the point where I just automatically know what to do and it all falls into place.

Install Windows NT 4.0

Don't do this OP. Awful choice.

low quality bait

Look up Manjaro, it's nice.

Cinnamon Mint is the only good ubuntu.

>that image
>I'm writing a book on why I dislike fuedalism
>BUT YOUR CLOTHES AND TOOLS ARE MADE UNDER FUEDALISM SO THEREFORE YOU CAN'T BE AGAINST IT CHECK MATE HAAHAHAHAHAH

For starters its Feudalism not Fuedalism
None of your shit is a product of feudalism

Pic might be an extreme example but its a recurring trend among communist fags.

Before changing the world you should start with yourself. But you will grow out of it before reaching that state anyway :^)

You're fine.
Make sure you got a computer for windows that you can play games on or you'll image right over that in four months or accidentally fuck your filesystem shrinking it.

Likewise none of your shit is a "product", of capitalism. Capitalism is only an economic system, it doesn't create things. That's lifestylism, like those hippies who go live in communes and don't accomplish anything. There's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism. Kill yourself.

>almost no one knows Linux proficiently enough to use it successfully
it's really not hard at all. you just follow the handbook. it's very informative and helpful. the only real "hurdle" is compile time.

Of my own time, I really only spent about an hour installing gentoo (typing commands and reading the handbook). The rest of the time it was compiling, so I was doing something else.

>using the smiley with a carat nose

>Ive been using it for 5 months and literally nothing broke.
why fucking lie for
...oh we're on Sup Forums, nevermind