Opened up my laptop to clean the fans and there's this gray residue on my CPU and GPU, what is it...

Opened up my laptop to clean the fans and there's this gray residue on my CPU and GPU, what is it? Is it some dirt/residue due to heat?

It's thermal paste. It make a contact between the chip and a headsink to take the heat away from the chip. Don't clean it off, or if you do replace it with artic silver or some other thermal paste.

Mostly, yeah. Got some isopropyl, clean it off and be on your way.
Happy to help, take care.

Op that is thermal paste .

It's bird poop. You need to lick it off.

Yes. Remove it with isopropyl rubbing alcohol and you will be good to go.

Yeah it's just junk, you can remove it with alcohol. It only increases temps.

lol look mom

Cum

Is Sup Forums down? All the retards on Sup Forums today shitposting

That's not good at all, my man. I work on computers and that's called acid burn. It's when your CPU runs too hot and it starts to leave this burnt grey residue on the top of it. You need some Coca-Cola and use a really old towel and clean it off.

It's safe, trust me.

Do not listen to this fucker.

That is called termal paste and it helps reduce the heat

By the looking at your photo, it looks dehydrated though (maybe due to intense heat). You need to apply some petrolium jelly on it to moiturize it. Rub it gently until everything is mixed up and moisturized.

Or better if you have some sunblock, that works best too since it can effectively block heat. Higher the SPF, the better.

Next time be careful on asking /g, i am not always here to save your ass.

This. Get some SPF 100.

It's just thermal paste. Clean it off and replace it with some mayonnaise. It's the same thing.

This. SPF 100 is the best. But unless you overclock, SPF 50 is enough

Also make sure you dont apply too much. One peacock drip is enough

Good advice

OP here, thank you. I found our sunblock, its only SPF 50 but i never overclock so I am safe right.?i only play Dota

how many is one peacock?

Just clean it off and install the heatsinks again.

Is it bad if i rubbed it off?

I rub one off every day or so.

Yes, rub it in gentle, slow jerking motion until the paste comes off

You need to reglue it. I recommend cement.

I read that as "until the paste comes out"

Nice shitty acer

you need to clean and replace with a new fresh paste. You should never have removed the heat dissipator in the first place though

ONE TUBE PER PAD.