See post on reddit about guy with no CS degree getting a job at Google

>see post on reddit about guy with no CS degree getting a job at Google
>his path was:
>>graduate with an arts degree, working at a restaurant full time and learning to code in spare time
>>creates an android game with his friends that is still on the play store
>>within a year of graduating from college, gets hired at a small tech company, and starts out with $70k/yr (seriously?)
years later gets a job at Google, making $180k/yr
why can't this be me?

>tfw making $50k/yr at my current non-programming job (big4 accounting)
>tfw learning python right now
s-should i learn java instead?

what's the best path to making more money?

>visual basics

Stop being autistic.

how?

>c isn't on there

what has the world come to

C++

was he a shitskin?

money is not technology

You have to be absolutely retarded to get a CS degree.

programming is though

wasn't mentioned in his post

he didn't have an engineering degree either

Exceptions don't prove anything. Surely there are people like this, but you shouldn't base your non-existent success on someone else's career path.

I would presume is the case; you probably have a boring, anti-social way of interacting with others, and while that's not something terrible, it will put you lower down on the list of potential employees. Have you ever seen a video of projects/interns in google facilities where people are present that act like your average Sup Forums autist? Of cource not. It doesn't matter if you go for python or Java or for something more "stable" like C; it's all about how you present yourself.

Which one would sound better to you:
>"well I got a worthless degree, so I worked really hard in a restaurant to earn money to build up my skills, which I used to develop successful mobile game. I'd apply here at XYZ to further develop myself as a person"
>"I was never really interested in programming so I got into accounting because I thought it would be easy, but after looking into how tech is booming I learned Python, but never really found a way to apply it"

so what IS a good field to be in if you're boring, autistic, and antisocial?

>REEEEEE THEY'RE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

This, what the fuck are we misfits supposed to do

Yea I would get in on the CS cuck train hype before it all goes away in like 10 years.

Computer Science

Being in a field implies that you are working together with others in a certain area - though that is not something you have to do since you can always do something alone, such as FOREX/index/bonds/stocks/crypto.

In any case, you should always try to go into a field that interests you, even if it is empty in terms of prospects and earnings. There's nothing worse than wasting ~40h a week doing something you hate desu

Though if you don't have any field of interest you are fucked either way, there's no definite advice for that ever.

This

>math undergrad
>300k part time

real question is who would lie for upvotes?

bartender or something to cure autism for starters

>tfw graduated high school last year
>Tried college but said no fuck this
>Some people were like wow you are stupid
>No I'm smart
>I just got a job doing coding lol
>Everyone who.doubted me btfo

Fucking lol and they told me to get all A's in school because I could. Skated by with. C's and everything has been a ok

You gotta figure shit out yourself don't listen to authority

Math. As long as you are smart enough and can publish a number of papers in a time span depending on the university you're working at.

You can work and be in college simultaneously you know.
Lectures in contrast to high school classes are optional.

i'm not that autistic

Learn how to deal with people. There is no field where you won't have interact. The sciences and tech fields especially, since they're heavily built on collaboration

user, being in a room for a week, isolated from the rest of world, knowing not whether it is day or night, proving theorems which will be understood by less than 10 people in the next decade, is a great experience.

Most programming languages are the same. Learn Java or C, then learn some data structures and algorithms, then you can use any language freely, just by looking up documentation

You can still get into programming if you're boring, autistic, and antisocial.

He definitely had a referral. The big tech companies don't waste their time even reviewing the resume, much less interviewing, someone without a degree unless they have a strong reason.

True story: Grad HS in 2002, Took and passed A+ Exam later in 2002, decided to take Cisco CCNA classes at a community college starting in 03, took and passed 2 of them before saying "fuck this" cause I realized that learning about cisco command line router shit wasn't for me. Took and passed Network+ exam instead. Got my first decent (aka I won't starve) paying job in 03 (in printing,not IT). Got fired in 05 due to political bs. Got hired as state gov employee in 05 in printing field (again). Been there ever since. Later as I was nearing 30 I decided to go back and earn more certs so I took and passed my CCNA and others so I'm a Windows System Admin certified dude. Now at 34 I'm trying like hell to get into IT at work but like 50-75% of all IT been outsourced to outside contractors. Very hard to land a state paying IT job. I could quit and make like $18-20 an hr at this one contracting oufit (be makeing hell lot more than I do now) but I'd toss away like 12 yrs of state benefits I've got. plus at state I can retire at 50 with full payout + paid medical & 401k

The irony here is that all I really want to do is be a System or Network tech. I don't want to be a manager type. With just my A+/Network+ certs I qualify for both jobs I want. Now its' like I got to much time in to just quit but I really hate my job thanks to bs going on now. Like the people, hate the bs from up on high.

Woah I didn't even know there was demand for R

Its was just soy in the novel, why they chaged to "its made of people" in the movie?

this, all my applications get ignored by the big tech companies and I have a CS degree. If I get a referral, they at least respond but rejected me because I was a recent grad. Took me forever to eventually find a job at some small company and it was through a referral

Hey OP, if that's OP, I'm a physicist but mainly work with programming black box software that others can use to do their research.

It is very nice that I don't have to deal with programming for annoying clients, as other physicists are very obtuse in general and do not really care about what I do as long as it meets their data analysis expectations, and also very nice that this is such a niche area that I don't even have to actually "compete" in the sense of being social or sucking up to anyone else in the field (I did have to work my ass off learning CUDA though).

So your best bet (not sure if the Google pajeet your mentioned did that though) is to find some niche you have fun/can endure working at but at the same time is not an immediate target for gentrification by Indians or automation (can't pinpoint any outside of research myself though).

>nigger

Everybody's looking for a "data scientist", which could be anything, but managers seem to understand that R is something they should put on the requirements, even if they don't really know what they're hiring for.

Also, a lot of people use it in hard sciences and/or statistics, some more complicated banking areas, and I wouldn't be surprised if some actuarial scientists use it instead of whatever proprietary shit they were memed into decades ago.

is this a meme

I'm done with my 2nd year of CS and I hate it, but I don't like anything so I feel like continuing to go to college is a waste.

I don't know, when Google was run by a Russian Jew it was a nobble company. Now it's run by a subhuman shitskin pajeet. Money doesn't mean everything I don't want to be an employee of a shitskin pajeet, I'm white, my race is superior.

I think that R and particularly RStudio are quite good simple tools for modeling even if you do some sketches for a machine learning solution with samples from real data.

the languages serve two different purposes my dude.

Google's CEO is a pajeet, Apple's CEO is a faggot. The lamentable degenerate state of the modern IT.