Why is git such a bitch to work with

Other urls found in this thread:

tartley.com/?p=1267
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Torvalds quipped about the name git (which means unpleasant person in British English slang): "I'm an egotistical bastard, and I name all my projects after myself. First 'Linux', now 'git'."[16][17] The man page describes Git as "the stupid content tracker".[18] The readme file of the source code elaborates further:[19]

svn is worse.
Never used mercurial though

As someone whose company uses Rational ClearCase... shut the fuck up.

What? It just works. What's your problem with it?

it is a bitch to work with
(I'm not OP)

someday I will learn

but at least I know the basics
(which aren't a bitch to work with, btw)

>it is a bitch to work with
>someday I will learn
>but at least I know the basics

so you don't work with it, don't know it, yet you have an opinion about it?

pic related

I work with it
I use it for project management
It's a godsend

but every time I want to try something beyond commiting and rebasing I need to spend 6 hours on Stack Exchange and Git-SCM, only to be unsuccessful and just give up on whatever I was wanting to do

Who the fuck still uses CVS or SVN these days? Only time I ever see either is when an ancient project from the early 90s doesn't want to move to git.

Because you are retarded.

Read the fucking manual

/thread

Because it's hideously overcomplicated.

Pic related, the five different places where source code can potentially be and the interactions between them.

you will never have to worry about the stash unless you explicitly tell git to use it. I've been using git for years and I've never heard of the index. Your working directory and local repo are basically the exact same thing once you `git add -A :/` and `git commit`. So the only thing you need to worry about is your local repo and the remote repo. You're blowing it way out of proportion. You don't need to understand the inner workings of git-receive-pack in order to type `git pull` or `git checkout dev`.

It's very similar to arch. Arch users don't think they're smarter than everyone else, they just think that they're the normal ones and people who can't figure out how to install arch must be extra retarded. Git is pretty simple once you understand it.

It isn't, though.

>Who the fuck still uses CVS
My old company, probably still does.
> or SVN these days?
People that want good support for binaries, eg gay mdev

this, it's shit because you need to know the inner parts if something fuck up and you need to fix something manually

this'ing this

Tell me more!
>Oh how hard can it be.

>Arch users don't think they're smarter than everyone else
[citation needed]

What are the steps to install arch, let's go through this

1. Partition
2. pacstrap
3. Bootloader

People who can install arch are just people who have the half a brain it takes to figure that out in under 15 minutes of googling. Everyone else is beyond help.

mecurial is actually nice but branching is not what you'd think it is. performs really shit though if you handle files over 2gb without inofficial extentions

It's a good and pretty easy tool.

Yes, of course you need to know the main commands related to working with commits and branches, just fucking learn them.

It gets easier once you think of it in n-dimensional spatial terms, as explained here: tartley.com/?p=1267

Wow, you have to deal with FIVE different things. It's almost the complexity of a typical beginner's turtle program.

> Stash
Literally just relevant if *you* use it. But yes, it's a stash. You can use this to stash away your working directory's changes, do something else in your working directory, and then recall these changes later.

> Working directory
No shit, you have files in your filesystem and they're not all automatically commited. It's just your files on your filesystem.

> Local repository
No shit, your version control software *actually* has a data repository for when you do commit data, it doesn't run on pure magic!

> Remote repository
And then you may also have another repository ELSEWHERE from where / to where to get and upload changes. We're surely at triple dick sock wizard levels now.

> Index
You don't have to work with that, but it's generally meant as a staging area so you can prepare commits that make sense. Because you may often not want to commit your whole working directory. If you do however want to do that, you don't even need to use the feature.

It's not for 90% of use cases, I think you just need to git gud