How the fuck do SSDs die? They are supposed to be glorified flash drives no? My flash drives have never ever died

How the fuck do SSDs die? They are supposed to be glorified flash drives no? My flash drives have never ever died.

WTF?

>Why do Things Happen? An Introduction to Entropy

Nature takes it's tool
tis the circle of life

Everything gets destroyed in the end
t. Mr Leo

You don't use your flash drives so much as your ssd, right? Imagine how many operations ssd does. It doesn't just store data as a usb drive. It is where os is placed, so files are always moving, so the ssd is wearing much more.

put your page file on a usb flash drive.
see how long it lasts.

>My flash drives have never ever died
How much have you written to them? Flash drive cells will die with far lower writes than SSDs.
And ALL flash storage will corrupt data eventually when left unpowered, due to electron leakage from cells.

Wikipedia is your friend. Read it nigger.

u guys r all wrong, SSD dies because the atoms inside it move in a way that makes the SSD not function properly anymore

fucken bullshit--are SSDs programmed with an expiry date?

Variations in heat, dust, all the shit that is in the air, all those contribute.

yes it the FUCKING JEWS JEWS. Everytime they do this

Yes, (they) need to cash on the ssd rush.

Windows, OSX, BSD and Arch Linux all have special routines to hammer SSDs so they wear out fast. Intel upped the ante with a feature in their 535 series that flushed data to disk several times per second even if nothing changed. Only Gentoo can avoid this.

Of course, buy a new one as soon as the warranty expires on the old one if you value your data.

The NAND cells that store data have a rated amount of write cycles that they can endure, reads don't affect drive life. Since the cell life is on a flat per-cell basis, larger drives will actually last longer because it will take longer for the same cell to get written to twice. In this way a 1TB TLC SSD is actually just as durable as a 512GB MLC SSD. 3D NAND has also doubled the life-expectancy of data cells, so for example, in total a 1TB 3D MLC drive will last a LONG fucking time, like 8~10+ years of hard use. By then you'll probably have upgraded your whole system twice and the drives will be archaic to the point where you'll back the data up to something better anyway.

Everything dies eventually.

Controller shits the bed.
2D NAND wears fast.
Shit build quality(PNY).

>Controller shits the bed.
This is the one that gets most people. There's more to go wrong with these things than the NAND failing.

kek

>tfw nobody has cited reddit and mortiberg meme phrase
Sup Forums has uplifted my day again.

The fuck are you even talking about?

Assuming you get a quality SSD and not a chinkshit one then the NAND will become read-only before the controller dies.

MLC NAND: ~3,000 P/E cycles
3D V-NAND: ~6,000 P/E cycles

So something like a 512GB 960 pro can endure ~3,000 TB before becoming read-only.

Is it true SSD is "only" 10 times faster? This is what producers advertise.

Underrated

Why not compare IOPS and sequential transfer rates yourself, idiot.

no

its just that the stuff that holds the data cripples in time because of electrical current applied to it up until it gets destroyed

Dunno man, brought my SSD in 2013 and is still fine.

SSDs would literally have the equivalent of 'bad sector' after having a single fucking bit written for at least 30x.

Don't buy the SSD meme that tomshardware and transnational companies shilled last 2013.
SSDs are crap especially Seagate brands like Samsung or Transcend. If you wan't a legit SSD get IBM and HGST and nothing else

The design of SSD is really clusterfuck. They write files differently (like files are stored in many cylinders/fragmented intentionally) and rely heavily on SMART reports. They're also prone to heat/overheating or static death due to the nature of NAND flash.