Is University a waste of time for developers?

I'm going into my junior year at my college and I genuinely hate it. It keeps me from working on the projects I want to work on and learning the skills I want to learn in that very moment. My friends are getting internships and jobs purely based on making shit in their free time. I'm just getting further in debt with little to no time to code outside of summer. I'm questioning if it's even worth it to return to school.

Anyone in here ever drop out to work on their own shit? Alternatively, anyone here end up going to a coding bootcamp like MakeSchool or Iron Yard? Are those worth it? I want your stories.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8JqLJMST2W4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's a complete waste of time and energy (and money, if you're in murrica)
just do what you like and learn what you want. most jobs don't actually require a degree

>It keeps me from working on the projects I want to work on and learning the skills I want to learn in that very moment
considering you are posting on Sup Forums, you must have some extra free time that could be used on your projects or special interests.

you're SUPPOSED to be working on your own projects while in school by the way.

>t. neet
You're not even going to receive a rejection letter if you don't have a CS degree, even if this entry level junior dev work.

>You're not even going to receive a rejection letter if you don't have a CS degree, even if this entry level junior dev work.
you don't need a CS degree

I got a CS job with a math degree

The point is you still need a degree, even if it has nothing to do with your field.

In Germany, it is.
Even with a shit CS degree, you will still get a job.
Certificates are everything here.

yes I agree getting a degree is important

just man up OP stop being a bitch and finish your degree

How is it important if you're never going to make use of it?
You don't need a math or humanities degree to write CRUD application code.

you need a degree to get your foot in the door.

soft ass graduates don't know shit about real world jobs. only go to college if you're REALLY interested in some specific field of CS for research or something.

youtube.com/watch?v=8JqLJMST2W4

yes it is a waste of time in every way. unfortunately there are so many pajeets and pings out there programming now you won't even be considered for a position without a degree.

It's a waste of time. The fact you actually considered going shows just how brainwashed you are. Me too. I went for a few weeks and said fuck this is a waste of my time bye, and a few months later I've got a new job doing development.

College absolutely is a waste of time if you're already smart

>College is a waste of time if you're already smart..

Enjoy your 5 figure salary or shit hours.

Whether or not you need a degree is heavily dependent on whether or not the company you're applying for has HR review applicants.

I have 5 years of industry experience but no degree.
When applying for a job, I'm turned down immediately because of the lack of a degree, but someone fresh out of college, even if they've never even as much as worked a summer internship, will get the job.

Get a degree.

A degree is nothing more than a signal. It shows that you can finish something even if it gets hard.
If you drop out you will also have a signal marked on you forever: You don't finish if something gets hard.

It's your decision OP, but this will haunt you forever in whatever way, like nkt getting a certain job or getting less salary or whatever.

Having a degree makes getting a well-paying job so much easier.

>waste of time
It depends on the university.
You will learn to be a good student.
Ideally you will be able to do a project where you know nothing about the subject, you should be able to break down the tasks and learn the things you don't know while you complete the project.
>is it worth it vs internships
I don't get why you would intern, maybe it is an American thing, pay a ton of money for the education, then work for free?
>vs coding bootcamp
Programming is not especially hard, but your job chances are significantly worse if you don't want to spend time to learn the profession.

As for the money you spend on your education, I can't you tell if it is worth it.
A degree is not a guarantee that you get work and if you are miserable with studying, you just acquire debt for no reason.
If you don't like to study, you won't like the work when you are done.

You're supposed to be doing working on side projects and making connections in your free time while going to college. If you use your time in college properly you can blow past all the fucktards that say college iz fur morans and laugh all the way to the bank while they wonder why it took them 15 years to break the 6 figure mark.

>5 figure salary
90k a year sounds nice

Here in Brazil things works like this too, but you need work a lot to have a decent income.

>I don't get why you would intern, maybe it is an American thing, pay a ton of money for the education, then work for free?
In America, you get an internship while you are in school. If you don't get paid for your internship, then you would be an idiot because only an idiot works for free.
This is how it works in America.

I dropped CS last week and in September I will begin to study economics. Am I retarded?

Yes.
There are too many with an economics degree. CS is at least actually needed.

I mean the bright side is at least you will fully understand just how badly you fucked up once you finish your degree.

Depends on what you want to do with it. People who have zero plans after college and accomplish nothing except bare minimum coursework are.

just get a fucking degree so that you won't get your ass kicked out of a job for not having one

20 years + coding your own OS ≠ job
degree = job

your degree is like a certificate that shows you ATLEAST know your shit, without that no amount of projects or experience will convince a person (unless they are smart and realize CS doesn't need degrees) to hire you.

>cucking yourself by making money for some extroverted retard who can't even take a screenshot

Don't be such a subservient cuck, user.

Don't waste your life trying to fit some weird inefficient educational/professional spec made by some imbecile HR/manager. If you can actually build something worthwhile, build it and sell directly to the people who want to buy it.