Try to spec up a PC with equivalent specs to an iMac Pro

>try to spec up a PC with equivalent specs to an iMac Pro
>it's more expensive

How does Apple do it?

>8 core Xeon + 32 GB ECC
>FirePro/Quadro with equivalent performance to a GTX 1080 (Vega will be around GTX 1080 performance?)
>1 TB PCIe SSD
>TB3
>10GB Ethernet
>Professional grade 5K 27" display
>Mouse/speakers/webcam

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/XHWXzM
pcpartpicker.com/product/JhkwrH/lg-monitor-27ud68w
youtube.com/watch?v=JtX5o-MlyaU
browser.primatelabs.com/opencl-benchmarks
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because they probably get extremely high discounts from manufacturers.

> it's more expensive
Is it still mainly that they just have ridiculously marked up GPU with the performance of a much cheaper consumer GPU?

"A $5000 value, now only $1000, buy now!". Meanwhile the consumer GPU is only $500 and it's all shitty marketing tactics.

>muh gay men

What do you need Thunderbolt for when you have internal expandability?

Volume discounts and scale economics.
Lrn some economics, lad.

>Professional grade 5K 27" display
>8 bit dithering

You can use them equally well for the same "creative" applications like all these video and image editors.
Even including the terribly written Adobeshit software that is usually most of the reason why Applefags are trying to buy a 8 exahertz CPU with 128GB RAM to edit some 1920x1080 2D image.

for once, i cant really say apple is really overcharging for their hardware. it seems fairly priced.

>it seems fairly priced

sure, when it's launched, then they won't update it for 3 years whilst keeping the price at 5 grand

> $5k+
No, the price is again Applel.

>An expensive computer is expensive
>IT'S CRAPPLE PRICING!

try and spec up an equivalence workstation from dell/hp/lelnovo

Because you can't purchase it today. You can spec it out just fine if you use "just wait™" components that will be available when the iMac is.

Nobody implied those companies didn't also overcharge, especially in the workstation segment. Nice strawman.

But again, you're asking us to "compare" systems that have been out for months to one that won't be out for months. You can't spec out a 2016 computer as cheaper and faster than a 2018 computer, no shit.

No you can't.
Its like trying to use your honda civic si as an F1 racer.
You remind me of this obnoxious pajeet that was convinced gaymur laptops were manufactured to a higher standard than regular consumer laptops.
Please kill yourself.

>only 2 laptop fans to cool all this down
You realize this thing is gonna thermal throttle hard as fuck, right? This thing literally has worse cooling than the trash can.

An equivalent CPU, GPU, mainboard, storage, RAM, PSU are about $2.5k or so.

Of course not with the same "lelprice" GPU and the oh so important one extra k 5k display.

>Identical hardware isn't identical because it's in a white shell
You're the type of Stacey that thinks Starbucks coffee is different from normal coffee because it costs more.

The GPU isn't released yet and neither is the iMac. You can't compare to last generation's top end hardware, unless the computer I "spec out" can use Vega and Threadripper.

I dont drink coffee and the cards are hardly identical. That might be hard for a CS cuck like yourself to grasp because you can't think about hardware without getting a seizure.

Sure, post a similar performing build for that price with ECC ram and a non-gayming board. Use a consumer 4K monitor if you want, since the iMac "Pro" uses dithering.

>How does Apple do it?

hardware retailers have a huge advantage when they offer custom prebuilts in that they get bulk rates on components and the sales tax is already paid for by you, so if you see a store offering custom prebuilts that cost more than the sum of its parts that's 100% profit for the store usually; there's a labour component involved but it's significantly quicker doing it in an assembly setting than doing it yourself at home, especially if you're putting out multiple rigs a day

if you're a hardware manufacturer like apple though the cost of components is significantly cheaper and assembly is basically next to nothing with volume, it's one thing for a retailer to buy a few hundred or even thousands of gpus at a time and another thing for a company like apple to enter multi year contracts with companies like intel and amd for components for the lifecycle of the product

it comes down to economies of sale

this is of course assuming intel isn't giving apple a *huge* discount just for using intel chips like they did with laptop manufacturers, want to know why no laptops had amd chips from about 2009 onwards? they simply wouldn't have been able to compete with intel undercutting the market like they did

Apple generally went with rebranded current or last gen GPU that were marked up by like $2k to make the overall deal seem good.

I'm just assuming that they'll do the same again because it's their business model to get money from their gullible sucker customers, and it has worked really well to make them rich.

But of course we'll only actually know for sure once the device is out and tested, sure. I still am going with "it'll be the same Applel tactics again" for now, as my baseline guess.

>ur dum
>im better
>Yur wrong but I wont say how xD
>EPIC WIN
I accept your concession that you are wrong and I am correct. Thank you kindly, love.

>vaporspec computer based on unreleased parts not scheduled to ship for another 6 months
>"How do they do it?"

Trolls really need to bait better.

are you being 100% serious saying something like a gtx 1080 is exactly the same as any of the quadro or firepro cards?

>try to do professional photo work on macshit
>can't

Here, ~$2.55k:
pcpartpicker.com/list/XHWXzM

4k screen can be had at around $650 (dunno, pcpartpicker.com/product/JhkwrH/lg-monitor-27ud68w or something), mediocre peripherals are like $50, a case is $100 or so. So really, we're at about $3400, with the actual option to use cheaper parts to save a few hundred dollars, or to spend more to make a lot of parts much better before we hit $5k.

>GTX 1080

thistbhfam

Apple was, is, and always will be a fucking joke.

That's the kind of shit Apple will likely ask their friendly GPU partner company to re-brand as professional workstation GPU at a $3k higher price, so you idiot can feel like you're getting a good deal.

I'm actually impressed, but X99's still a gayming chipset. ASUS WS boards are consumer crap, too. And consumer GPUs don't have ECC VRAM.

I don't own any apple computers and I never will, but saying a GTX 1080 is comparable to a firepro or the VegaPro theyre putting in on this thing is a delusion only a gaymur will have.

Also, I forgot. That board doesn't take registered memory.

>t. mactoddler brainlet

youtube.com/watch?v=JtX5o-MlyaU

>with the performance of a much cheaper consumer GPU?

nobody buys them for the 'performance', they buy them for the ridiculously higher memory configurations, ecc on that memory (and sometimes onboard cache) as well as double precision floating point arithmetic

>You can use them equally well

yeah if you don't absolutely need professional workstation cards get the cheap consumer unit, nobody is suggesting otherwise

>like all these video and image editors.

and cad software? rendering? ecc and double precision fp make that worth it alone, never mind that high end quadros have 24gb of memory over, say, a titan xp's 12gb

all things that matter for, you know, workstations

it's certainly a reasonable deal it's just a shame it's a no compromise deal

>An equivalent CPU, GPU
>Of course not with the same GPU

not the same fucking gpu then is it

>and the oh so important one extra k 5k display.

>if you take the exact same components and replace them with different, far cheaper components, you can save maybe 20% on a completely different product!

I picked a really rather fancy mainboard anyhow.

Apple will very likely not use anything better - they basically never have.

> And consumer GPUs don't have ECC VRAM.
Ya, but does a machine with this kind of configuration need it? The Apple toy is a very wrong configuration for a data / processing cluster, even if its a graphics rendering cluster.

It's just a graphics workstation of sorts, at most.

And if you *did* need a workstation co-processor GPU with ECC RAM, wouldn't you perhaps need multiple Tesla P100 or some other such monsters that you choose *appropriately*?

Well, here's some benchmarks with a bunch of FirePros that are OpenCL-based rather than gaming graphics (at which the FirePro generally fail even more):
browser.primatelabs.com/opencl-benchmarks

> That board doesn't take registered memory.
Absolutely wrong. From the specs:
> 8 x DIMM, Max. 256GB, DDR4 2400/2133 MHz ECC, Register Memory *2

>*2 When installing Intel® Xeon® E5-2600/1600 v4/v3 Processor, and maximum capacity would also depend on CPU installed.

yeah i was being serious

turns out i'm a retard who talks out of school.

>laptop fans
Those fans are huge considering that the imac is at least 27 of diagonal size.
I'm not saying that it will not throttle, because I will.

ITODDLERS

PERPETUALLY

CONTINUALLY

CONSTANTLY

INCESSANTLY

EVERLASTINGLY

UNREMITTINGLY

INTERMINABLY

PERMANENTLY

ETERNALLY

BLOWN

THE

FUCK

OUT

UNTIL THE END OF TIME

> nobody buys them for the 'performance'
Probably more than half of Applefags buy these machines to use Adobeshit editors.

> and cad software? rendering? ecc and double precision fp make that worth it alone, never mind that high end quadros have 24gb of memory over, say, a titan xp's 12gb
It is already known that the iMac Pro will have 8GB on the $5k variant.

And the "best" model will be a 16GB RAM card, as far as I can tell without the option to run multiple. So basically, something that will get easily buttfucked for your "actual CAD work or rendering" by one or more quadros or teslas or whatever.

PS: Not that Applels GPUs have been better at any tasks than higher end gaymen consumer GPU as far as I could tell from benchmarks posted here.

>consumer gpu
>eatx equivalent motherboard
>6 core xeon

new imacs starting at 8 cores, be prepared to double the price of that processor

>So really, we're at about $3400, with the actual option to use cheaper parts to save a few hundred dollars

no, you've already taken the option to use cheaper parts, just the cost difference in an 8core xeon and a 5k display puts you up to a good $4-4.2k never mind that you're using a consumer gpu and self admittedly mediocre peripherals and at least an eatx compatible case

>That's the kind of shit Apple will likely ask their friendly GPU partner company to bla bla bla

yes yes and i3s are literally just i7s with cores disabled, hedt is just xeons with the ecc controller disabled, bla bla bla

amd, intel, nvidia, literally any fab will do this, binning is essential to maintain economies of sale

>Ya, but does a machine with this kind of configuration need it?

you've already admitted that this machine isn't for you through justifying a 4k screen over 5k, 6 core over 8 core, consumer gpu over a workstation gpu

you know you have the option of not buying this, right? you can just move on and save maybe 20% on a far lower specced machine rather than buying this, right?

>And if you *did* need a workstation co-processor GPU with ECC RAM, wouldn't you perhaps need multiple Tesla P100 or some other such monsters that you choose *appropriately*?

there's a slight difference between a powerful workstation and a mini render farm you know

Kys you piece of shit, not even an apple fanboy

The fuck you need ECC and xeon for?

Professional workflow

I can render Maya in gaymer graphic card just fine

get fucked

>Comparing OEM costs to consumer cost

Which one has the 16:10 display? :^)

Why wasn't macbook tested under windows to eliminate variables introduced by OS X?

>6 core
>no 5k screen
>no 1080p webcam
>no keyboard+mouse
>no speakers
>no 802.11ac + bluetooth
yeah, no. Your build hardly represents anything man.

>>try to spec up a PC with non-existent components
>cannot do it