/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/i9 - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA/miners buying all RX400/500s)
>1070 - if on sale/can't afford 1080
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity/scratch disk/VMs
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board + case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/NBhqM8
geizhals.eu/
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/dRYrQV
pcpartpicker.com/list/pWJV9W
pcpartpicker.com/list/pByfZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/8VLDsJ
backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q1-2017/
pcpartpicker.com/list/M8Cyd6
youtube.com/watch?v=VL2TAJvfiQU
pcpartpicker.com/list/wXWXzM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>i5-7600K is 91 watt TDP
There exist people in 2017 who still buys this shit, when the Ryzen 5 is 65 watts, about as good IPC, and far superior multi thread performance.

>R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
An i5 beats the 1500X in nearly every benchmark, game, and software. KYS, OP

R5 1600x or R7 1700 for gaming?

1600 non-X for gaming.

>actually supporting lower performance

PAJEETS FUCK OFF

What's the current go-to GPU overclocking program? Is there still nothing to choose from but ugly G4M3R branded closed source trash?

The Intel shills have arrived.
Please tell me how superior you are for having to pay extra for everything and how hews stealing your wallet is for the benefit of consumers.

Isn't i5 the ones that are crippled because intel is cheapass and won't give you hyperthreading with them?

>only caring about muh gaymes

Consider using your PC as something besides a glorified xbox.

What are the main differences between AMD's AM4 chipsets (A320/B350/X370)?

R5 1600.

Expect 3.9Ghz at 1.35v.

1700 has more cores but doesn't offer much in the way of gaming. 1600x may be more likely to hit 4.0 but the increased price + the cost of a cooler isn't worth the gamble for 100mhz.

Yes.Hyper threading needs there to be twice the number of threads compared to cores.
All the i5's are 4 core, 4 threads. You don't get an 8 thread 4 core chip until you spend more for an i7.

A320 doesn't support overclocking or multiple GPU's.
B350 supports overclocking and crossfire on most boards
X370 supports overclocking, crossfire, and SLI.

X370 is the high end, but only for people who use multiple videocards.

B350 is for everybody else. If you just want a solid computer with reasonable power usage, that's the way to go.

>unironically defending the 1500X and the abortion that is the 1400
The i5-7500 is simply better and stronger than the 1500X. There is no if ands or buts about it. The 1500X suffers from poor perfromance compared to the six cores.

recommended CPU and GPU for a $950 PC that only needs to be able to stream and play CS?

>defending 4 cores and 4 threads in 2017

It's a value proposition for people who can only afford 4 cores.
But they get 8 threads in the CPU because it has hyperthreading, unlike your i5.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

More threads does not equal more cores. All SMT and HT does is allow some additional CPU resources to be used at the same time, it does not benefit you if said core resources are being used up by a single thread. More powerful cores trumps a weaker multi-threaded core for this reason.

>More powerful cores
But your baby lake is only 5% wider.

The rest is done through megahurtz, which turns the CPU into an oven.

>he's trying so hard

>pcpartpicker.com/list/NBhqM8
>Gaming PC
>3K Euros to blow
>Ireland

I want to make a powerful gaming pc, one that will last me years to come.
I have no clue about buying parts and their quality.
I have especially have no clue about power supplies or GPUs.

Hi anons, I just got a job, and after I pay rent I intend on upgrading my PC as I feel like i'm partly responsible for global warming with my current build ...
Fx-8350 , 8gb RAM , 750w PSU (no name) and r9 280x from Sapphire . And 1tb hdd. Pc built in 2014 with second hand parts (except cpu)
Busy with university stuff and work, but I want to have a better rig to play games, as I notice some frame drops with some newer games.
I plan on playing latest titles, but only at 1080p 60fps . Doesn't have to be ultra, but nothing lower than medium (at worst).
Gamelist right now, is just r6:s, titanfall2 ,dishonored 2 (wanna buy it)
Thanks in advance ;3

shit, forgot to mention, Denmark

That coolermaster wont stop your house from burning down. Get a better cooler if you're getting a 7700k. Look into delid shit as well.

Get an SSD.

Once Raven Ridge comes out, I'll agree with you on ditching the i5 for good, but right now Ryzen 5 1500X and 1400 are not as good as the Core i5 or the Ryzen 5 1600/X. Raven Ridge will perform better than either quad cores since it's one a single CCX. No inter-CCX latency = better total performance, despite having less L3 cache.

>calling me a shill just because I called out AMD's worst Zen CPU for what it is
top kek
This is why we hate fanboys. Now fuck off forever before I kick your heads in.

what do they mean with diffused in usa

Well, the OP is the good hint for you.

Maybe try and use geizhals.eu/ to shop around for the CPU, since the Ryzen CPUs are heavily taxed in Denmark.

the silicon is fabed in the usa
the cpu is assembled in Malaysia

Looking for a solidworks rig, will be frequently running slicer and CAM software, as well as stalker, doom, the new metro game thats coming soon (tm)
So far im thinking of a 1600 and 580 with 16gigs of fastish ram.
Good?
Will serve as a replacement to a piledriver fx6300 and hd7770 rig.
Id keep it going longer but my mobo's kinda fucked

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/dRYrQV

I don't know user.

Intel has traditionally valued their i5 Quadcores at 200 USD, while they asked 300 USD for the hyperthreading equivalent.

The R5 1400 offers that hyperthreading on quadcore for almost nothing.

But compared to the 1600 and 1600X, both of the quad core Ryzens fall on their faces and clearly can't seem to scale the same. Wait for Raven Ridge and their much cheaper Athlons X4s.
Until then ,suck a dick

Some notes when selecting parts for your build. Taking this into consideration will assist in picking the right parts for the machine.

Pcpartpicker notes:

1. If you're using pcpp, keep in mind that the price at the bottom is never what the actual price will be. It will consistently be more expensive.

2. It takes time for pcpp to update, sometimes vendors end their sales on the product you selected before you can purchase it.

3. When selecting a product, make sure it doesn't have any notes that shipping will take over a month.

4. Some services that offer free shipping means you will be waiting several weeks for your items to ship. If the free shipping has a long wait time, it may be best to throw $15 at one of the vendors for a faster arrival time.

Some component picking notes:

1. If at all possible, go with SSD over HDD. Instead of picking up a small boot SSD and keeping all of your files on an HDD; throw all the money into one larger SSD. Use pcpp's sort by "lowest $/gb" and pick up any 2.5" or m.2 SSD.

1a. If you don't have the money for an SSD, I like Hitachi for any HDD needs.

1b. If you need large-scale storage, consider running a raid configuration with a higher cache HDD.

2. Some cheap mATX boards only have two ram slots, this is fine if you don't plan on ever upgrading the computer.

3. Always opt for dual-channel memory instead of one large ram stick. You are essentially doubling your memory bandwidth, this will benefit you in many modern software applications.

4. A video card that will meet your processor in performance will be considerably more expensive than the processor itself. However, the benefits are often well above 60fps anyway. Consider picking up a video card that is around the price of your processor if you plan on upgrading in a few years.

5. 8GB of video memory is most suitable for 4K gaming. If you don't plan on running above 1080p; opt for a 4GB or 6GB configuration.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/pWJV9W
How is this?

Which benchmarks are you actually referring to?

From what I have seen of the 1500X, it's actually doing okay.
And it actually stays very low power consumption, even when you make it reach its limit at 3,9 Ghz.

I think you have fallen victim to some negative marketing user.

i5-7500 has no single core advantage and no SMT, it flat out loses to the 1500X. There is no reason to buy any non-K i5/i7 at the moment.

The 7700k has a poor $/performance ratio, it's terribly expensive for slight fps gains over ryzen above 120 fps.

I would recommend you going with an R5 1700.

I also recommend dropping down from a 1080 ti to a 1080, the gains from a ti are slight, and the expense is much greater.

A 700 watt power supply is overkill. I recommend going with a 500 watt as you will never get to that range even overclocking the current components. Future components will use less electricity, so a 500 will not be obselete.

STOP BUYING AMD

Reminder to report shitposters.

This is me If you want, I can get a part list of my recommendations to you.

looks good

gut

complete shit

>Good?
Yep. Consider 1060 6GB if you can't find a 580 for retail price.

This girl is so cute. It makes me happy to know there are cute girls out there that like salsa verde that much

>I can get a part list of my recommendations to you.
Yes please, I am fucking clueless.

Is the stock AM4 thermal paste good enough or should I replace it?

If you have nothing else, just use the default.

No need to spendmoney on new paste until you decide for an aftermarket cooler.

>i5-7500 has no single core advantage
Yes it does at stock speeds
>and no SMT
Like I noted before, SMT and HT are not decisive advantages if all cores are being stressed already. So the R5 1500X offers no significant gain over the i5 as a result.
>There is no reason to buy any non-K i5/i7 at the moment.
Lower overall power consumption for performance you can only get with an overclocked quadcore Ryzen. Plus, the platform is more mature and offers more features than Ryzen (even if it's purely from Intel's Jewish tricks, like Optane support), as well as an iGPU integrated into the package.

Until Raven Ridge comes out, the Core i5s and i7s still have their place in the market.

Give me a bit and I'll have one ready for you

>R5 1700
:^)

>Lower overall power consumption
What?

The Ryzen 5 you are talking about are all 65 watts.
The i5 you're talking about are mostly 91 watt cpus.

You're flat out wrong. The only Intel CPUs to have any single core advantage over Ryzen at the moment are 4-core K-series i3/i5/i7. And SMT is an advantage or Intel wouldn't charge more for it on their i7's.

decent fan control software?

>7700k has a poor $/performance ratio
It has no competition at its price point. Outside of fringe overpriced halo products, trying to decide exactly how many FPS each dollar gives you is dumb, and also misleading. If you need a particular level of performance, you go for it.
The 1080 ti is also "bad value" for the money. But if you want the performance, there's no alternative.
Certainly the R7 is no competition. You want to talk bad value for gaming, that's ground zero.

Poorfag here, just inherited some older box with 2500k, evo 212, 16 gb ram, kingston kv300 ssd and some 650w ocz psu, it has no gpu though, what would be a good card to go with the cpu for light gayman & movies?

Hey, it's Here's my recommended part list, if you don't plan on overclocking then it's unnecessary to pick up an aftermarket cooler.

pcpartpicker.com/list/pByfZ8

If you want to get windows the right way with no worries or issues about keys or pirating, I got you set up with windows 10 home, you don't need pro for anything.

Also, don't worry about the compatibilit with the cooler. They all now ship with am4 mounting brackets.

You'll have to repick the monitor you want.

Is the 1080ti bad value compared to the 1070 and 1080 for 1440p?

1050 or 1050 ti.

>It has no competition
The competition is the Ryzen 7, which has nearly as much IPC as it for single thread.

But the Ryzen 7 also beats it in multithread.

Looks good, how long would it be relevant though?
I don't want to have to upgrade in 4 years.

How is this for a mini itx build? Only willing to budge on the motherboard form factor if you can named a case that lays flat like this anything I should cut back?

pcpartpicker.com/list/8VLDsJ

*or the X variant, if you plan on using a different cooler and want the extra XFR.

Some people just don't want a Wraith Spire cooler.

>no competition at its price point.
>at its price point

it's expensive and not worth it, you're right on that one.

GO AMD GO !

>The i5 you're talking about are mostly 91 watt cpus.
That's because you're a fucking moron.
The i5-7500 is a 65W TDP CPU, but in reality, it consumes about 82-88W under load. The 1500X eats up about 92W, which is respectable, but not as good as the non-HT Core i5 (for reference, I think the Core i7 uses about 100W or more under the same conditions). All of these are including the chipset, RAM, and drive power usage.
Cinebench is still an inaccurate benchmark for true CPU performance, since it just lumps together all of the different benchmarks into a single score (that's not even properly averaged). Using real world programs like Adobe Photoshop and AfterEffects, the Core i5 7500 is faster to render compared to the 1500X and the 1400. But with encryption, the 1500X blows the fuck out of the 7500.
Overall, the 7500 still holds an advantage over the 1500X and the 1400. I hear Raven Ridge might be able to reach higher clock speeds than Ryzen, so wait for that instead.

>how long would it be relevant though?
8 cores and 16 threads. The CPU will be solid for years to come.

The videocard won't be considered high end anymore in 3 years time though.
You may want to downgrade that a bit if you don't want it to lose too much value.

>these GPU prices
>these RAM prices
>these HDD prices

Is this the worst time in history to be building a new PC? What the fuck is going on why is everything so insanely expensive? $2000 used to be top of the fucking line bleeding edge and now it's barely mid-high.

>which has nearly as much IPC as it for single thread.
The R7 is beat, and beat badly by the 7700K in gaming. Only a few games I've seen it perform either on par of better. It's not close.
Ryzen's IPC isn't a "little slower". It's a lot slower. And its mediocre performance in games shines through.

It's a fine argument to make, but by the same token, the R7 isn't worth it either.

Is pairing a 1600 with a 1070 the patricians choice?

Thing I hate about the 7700K is that you basically have no choice but to delid the fucker.

Question: say I want to mine cryptocoins, would a x399 Mobo with the 16 core Threadripper and 4 big Vega GPUs be good for this?
No idea if it is as I don't mine presently, but from what I've read, it's "more power = more coins".

Even the 7600K runs hella hot, my brother bought one before ryzen 5 came out and he keeps bitching about temps.

Alright, TI doesn't seem that much more expensive so I guess I'd go with it, any specific brand that I should pursue/avoid?

Yeah, shits wonky right now with former 3rd world nations now being able to buy decent technology components.

Far more demand + not a huge growth in supply = more $/item.

Don't forget that phones need DDR4 and that's supposedly what's jacking up the prices.

>AfterEffects

Funny you should mention that.

Kind of off topic, my old 500gb wd blue died after 5 years of heavy usage, should I buy another wd blue (or a different wd one) or a different brand?

Which developing 2nd & 3rd world'ers are buying in massive numbers.

Prices are going to be high / skewed for a while until they get those markets saturated.

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q1-2017/

Never buy Blues what's wrong with you? Main drives should be Black or SSD, and bulk storage should be Green or Red.

There has never in all time been a reason to buy Blues.

I think you have mistaken IPC for clockspeed.

All it has is a ton more clock speed. And it comes at a high price which the 1700 doesn't suffer from. It's just a 65 watt part.

Can i control fan speed on 4-pin pwm fans?

Can you build a PC that performs the same as pic related for $500?

Will the component manufacturers sell to me at a loss?

every fan or just gpu?

pcpartpicker.com/list/M8Cyd6

you guys think this is good enough for streaming CS?

Yes, thats why they have one more pin than 3pin, and are called pulse width moderation (pwm) fans

>pcpartpicker.com/list/M8Cyd6
you cant go with a 1700 and a 1060 my dude nooooop gotta go with a 1070 or crossfire 580s

Downgrade the CPU to Ryzen 5 1600.
And get faster RAM, for dual channel too.

Ryzen 7 can stream games way more complex than that without a hitch. youtube.com/watch?v=VL2TAJvfiQU

Does it matter what direction the CMOS battery is pointing?

pcpartpicker.com/list/wXWXzM
This is the common cookie cutter build for a console killer

>streaming
>8 GiB
Stop.

You'd be good with a 1600 X or non.

The wd blue came from a prebuilt, I haven't had any troubles with them.