he's not building a ray tracer

> he's not building a ray tracer
> claims to be """comfy"""

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YvU-srHhQxw
github.com/tunabrain/tantalum.
youtu.be/oLte5f34ya8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i dont know what a ray tracer is. explain for someone who codes with python.

>explain for someone who codes with python.
you will never be able to understand

Do you do any hardware acceleration like OpenCL or CUDA?

you make 3d graphics by finding the solution of a line equation and other geometry

usually this involves sending out primary rays using a focus point and a grid that represents each pixel and then recursively casting rays for refraction and reflection at collision points

You realize that ray tracing is older than "conventional" 3d graphics, right? It's been done to death yet we still don't have enough resources for real-time RT. Some day...

I was going to but it isn't very well supported for linux on all hardware

You can make real time ray tracers now, if you use a shared OpenCL/OpenGL buffer. I'm definitely doing that in the future.

Normal raster graphics literally run the equations that artists used to make pictures for years on a computer.

And real time ray tracing has been a thing for a while.

youtube.com/watch?v=YvU-srHhQxw

I have made a ray tracer in modern OpenGL (technically it was a reverse ray tracer, but that's beside the point). It was a fun excercise, added reflections, moving textures, bump/normal/etc.. map support, and a bunch of other features, but at some point it just wasn't that interesting (I'm more into 2D graphics anyways).

Also, I was using more old-school lighting techniques but I understand there's been a recent move towards something called physically based rendering that's supposed to be way better for realistic stuff. Maybe it would be nice to learn more about that.

I made a raycaster

I made a shitty 2D photon transport simulator once. That was fun.

Cute

That does indeed look fun.

What did you use to do that? I'm aware that OpenGL or at least glsl may be used to do 2D graphics but I just have no idea how one would even begin to do that.

I didn't use GPU acceleration. The program that inspired me to do this does, however: github.com/tunabrain/tantalum.

The only feature mine adds is the ability to load an arbitrary SVG file as the "glass".

You are about 10 years too late youtu.be/oLte5f34ya8

>ray tracing
>not global illumination
You are like a little babby

Made one last year in c++ (thanks uni). It's cool at first, but not really anything spectacular these days compared to modern methods.

>babby
The word you are clumsily fumbling for is "baby"

found the newfag

ú__ù

read this while squeezing a big fat brown shite egg out my ass

[spoiler]btw im a girl[/spoiler]

why dows ray traced graphics always have that odd look and often reminiscent of old segas?

N E W F A G S U M M E R

You're not a girl, you're an indian shitting on the street. Go '''shit''' post else where.

>You are akin to a minuscule adolescent