Why does youtube use webm instead of h264? h264 is usually hardware accelerated on computers...

why does youtube use webm instead of h264? h264 is usually hardware accelerated on computers. Also isn't h264 royalty free now?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube#Quality_and_formats
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/h264ify/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC
aomedia.org/about-us/
streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/Netflix-Finds-x265-20-More-Efficient-than-VP9-113346.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Also isn't h264 royalty free now
No.

webm is a container, h264 is a codec
what is your point

>webm is a container
Well, it's really just MKV but is specific about what codec is used inside of it. So WebM is synonymous for VP8/Vorbis or VP9/Opus.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube#Quality_and_formats
> The default video stream is encoded in the VP9 format with stereo Opus audio; if VP9/WebM is not supported in the browser/device or the browser's user agent reports Windows XP, then H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video with stereo AAC audio is used instead.[92]
*If* I understand the article correctly, YT uses both webm and h264.

>> The default video stream is encoded in the VP9 format with stereo Opus audio; if VP9/WebM is not supported in the browser/device or the browser's user agent reports Windows XP, then H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video with stereo AAC audio is used instead.[92]
I guess this is the reason why it lags like shit on my computer even though it has h264 hardware decoding.

Check out the h264ify plugin if you want to force H264 streaming

And now after installing addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/h264ify/ I can actually play 1080p 60hz videos with it out lagging the fuck out of my laptop. Fucking google and their shitty codecs.

>Sucking MPEG dick this hard
A can't wait for AV1 to kill them for good.

>Fucking google and their shitty codecs.

VP9 is actually much better for image quality, not only are the file/download/stream size quite a bit smaller but it does not suffer from such horrible blocking and banding that h264 does. Depends on what you are watching as to how much you would notice it though.

Or if your autism is strong enough, you can stream it to your media player and select the quality/codec used.

No one gives a fuck about your shitty codecs if you cant even play them back without it lagging to hell.

OP IS A FAGGOT

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

>Version 1: (May 30, 2003) First approved version of H.264/AVC containing Baseline, Main, and Extended profiles.

That means most patents won't expire until 2023 earliest

>No one gives a fuck about your shitty codecs
Oh, but I think a lot of people DO give a fuck.
aomedia.org/about-us/

>cant even play them back without it lagging to hell

Not our fault you have a shitty computer. 1080p 60FPS VP9 uses 8-12% cpu on my machine, poorfag.

>poorfag
lol no

>bixnood

Okay you're not poor, just stupid and bought a massively expensive machine that my i3 windows desktop outperforms at playing videos, congratulations!

No one cares about your meme codec. Get back to me when Intel adds hardware decoding support.

More people care about VP9 than people care about your existence. Have a nice day, retard.

H265 performance is still better than VP9 and AV1

I can't wait for AV1 to finally kill H265 and H264.

Hahahaha..No
/thread

I'm not using your codec, Satan

Eat shit, Google shills

streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/Netflix-Finds-x265-20-More-Efficient-than-VP9-113346.aspx